Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,547 ✭✭✭straight

mf240 wrote: »
    I put in parlour mats this year. I would recommend them.

Would you get sour milk gathering under them in the spring more over?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭mf240

straight wrote: »
    Would you get sour milk gathering under them in the spring more over?

Dunno that there only in a few weeks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Dunno that there only in a few weeks

Might be an option to put good insoles into the wellingtons and wear thick stockings? :)

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

https://youtu.be/jQ3-2YUGEyo

Nice farm for sale in the Midlands. Throw a couple of hundred cows and it and it would be paid for in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭alps

Nice farm for sale in the Midlands. Throw a couple of hundred cows and it and it would be paid for in no time.

You'd want some ball of money to keep that house and yard in good order..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,635 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Anyone have 20-25 heifer calves (Feb/March) for sale? Around the south-east would be a bonus.

Nothing set in stone but I’m leaning towards x-breds

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭Grueller

Anyone know what in calf heifers to calve next February are making? I am in the market for about 15-20 in a months time or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

Grueller wrote: »
    Anyone know what in calf heifers to calve next February are making? I am in the market for about 15-20 in a months time or so.

I'm hearing lads asking 1450 , if I was buying I wouldnt be going that strong so early in the year

• Registered Users Posts: 11,078 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

trixi2011 wrote: »
    I'm hearing lads asking 1450 , if I was buying I wouldnt be going that strong so early in the year

Market is hot and demand strong ,lots have used more beef and less dairy

Jaysus I bought calved heifers for that last March

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭stanflt

I know a lad with circa 40 for sale- I think he’s looking around 1600 thou- they’d be pedigree stock high ebi have type and would have plenty of milk with high solids

stanflt wrote: »
    I know a lad with circa 40 for sale- I think he’s looking around 1600 thou- they’d be pedigree stock high ebi have type and would have plenty of milk with high solids

Vulture!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,880 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Mad money in august

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Bit off topic but does anyone wear a fitbit when milking? Keep an eye on calories and I'm hitting about 220 calories for one and a quarter hours milking.

counted steps for one 14 unit row the other day and it was 180 so i reckon at least 2000 a milking,cant say how it compares to fitbit steps but if include bringing them in you have at least 5000 aday

• Registered Users Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Is it yourself?

whelan2 wrote: »
    Is it yourself?

Or course it is. :D

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Mad money in august

Maby so but that’s where the market is ,lots have been talking about flying herds ,running teams of beef bulls etc this is the result

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Maby so but that’s where the market is ,lots have been talking about flying herds ,running teams of beef bulls etc this is the result

It's not really though. Lads are asking that kind of money but getting it is another story . I'd have no problem giving 15 or 1600 for good calved heifers next march though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Like all those places good % of it gone in woodland. Same storey here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

It's not really though. Lads are asking that kind of money but getting it is another story . I'd have no problem giving 15 or 1600 for good calved heifers next march though

Penny wise and pound foolish imv. Would prefer to pay 3 or 4 hundred more for top quality a good start is half the battle. You'd b a long time trying to breed to them type cows imv

• Advertisement

Penny wise and pound foolish imv. Would prefer to pay 3 or 4 hundred more for top quality a good start is half the battle. You'd b a long time trying to breed to them type cows imv

I bought high ebi calved heifers at €1400 - €1450 last year. €1600 not calved and having to keep them a winter is a long way dearer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

It’s not penny wise . You can’t be sure about a heifer until she’s calved

Yep. Its a long road. One of my best ones calved down on 3 paps this year. If you can get 400 euro for weaned heifer calves I don't think you will have too much out of them but it's as good as a fella can do. Costs alot of time and money to get them to calving.

Nearly better off buying a second calver

Yep. Its a long road. One of my best ones calved down on 3 paps this year. If you can get 400 euro for weaned heifer calves I don't think you will have too much out of them but it's as good as a fella can do. Costs alot of time and money to get them to calving.

Circa 14/1500 to get to point of calving as 2 year old .for anyone looking for stock go out to the market or thru grasstec etc quality stock with good records ,well grown etc are selling for 15/1600 plus now average stock 12/1400.there is a shortage of dairy stocks due to lads expanding ,getting into cows and lads breeding less to dairy

Circa 14/1500 to get to point of calving as 2 year old .for anyone looking for stock go out to the market or thru grasstec etc quality stock with good records ,well grown etc are selling for 15/1600 plus now average stock 12/1400.there is a shortage of dairy stocks due to lads expanding ,getting into cows and lads breeding less to dairy

Alot of flying herds too so that fellas can drive up numbers and cut out the work of breeding/rearing heifers. Just leave off bulls for 3 months and that's it.

Alot of flying herds too so that fellas can drive up numbers and cut out the work of breeding/rearing heifers. Just leave off bulls for 3 months and that's it.

Heard some very bad reports this year from bulls breaking down during season you’d need serious bull power to run something like that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

whelan2 wrote: »
    Nearly better off buying a second calver

Would be thinking the same as young herds can hold back output a bit, however best chances of getting a second calver that is not being sold for some particular reason or another is at a dispersal sale and they may have another premium again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Heard some very bad reports this year from bulls breaking down during season you’d need serious bull power to run something like that

Its madness not doing at least 3 weeks ai at that start of breeding and giving the stock bull/bulls half a chance of lasting the season, was one 4 day period here where 60 cows where ai'd with only a handful either side of that period, you'd destroy a team of bulls in that scenario

• Advertisement

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Its madness not doing at least 3 weeks ai at that start of breeding and giving the stock bull/bulls half a chance of lasting the season, was one 4 day period here where 60 cows where ai'd with only a handful either side of that period, you'd destroy a team of bulls in that scenario

Then the poor old bull gets the blame

Advertisement