Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

Not only surplus bales, the mountain of hay got this year has hit them has hit them hard. Lower bale counts with hay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Yea I am for a week. Cows looked to have enough grass but they were dropping in milk and solids so I put in some really good 1st and 2nd cut and they bounced back. I was only 1 in group with protein over 3.4 . That's the one thing 2018 draught taught me...if you put in quality silage cows will do fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I'll take this year over last year anyday, last year the drought hit in may/june, so 1st cut yeild was well back, and drought stress hit right when grass was heading out, so grass quality went to pot mid June. This year 1st cut yeilds weren't great, and I've learnt the hard way that 2nd cuts are a waste of time around these parts, much to high a risk of a July drought hitting and you get stung trying to graze back heavy steamy high nitrogen silage ground, so instead I bought a steamy 1st cut crop for the drys, and the sr has largely been at 2.5 since mid June, with a small amount of Paddocks taken out, growth has only been likes of 40 across the last 6wks, but with a sr of 2.5 my demand only about 35, and I've only needed to feed about a dozen bales the last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I'm hearing from alot of lads that growth isn't great, two different guys who would grow grass have questioned fertilliser quality this year also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Id reckon their not far out, if i hadnt of soil sampled the farm here in the spring with all p and k's 3-4 and lime perfect id be putting it down to my ground been washed out, on 1st cut had 2 acres of ground in a 12 acre field that had got 3 bags of 18:6:12 but was to wet to get slurry on their was barely a 1200 kg/ha cover on it at cutting and the rest of the field was 3500kgs/ha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭straight

I have a lot of pale green grass with dark green urine patches. It's been like that all year really. Fields on the 6th rotation absolutely stopped growing during the heat wave. Second cut is only at about 1600 but I'm hoping it'll take off now. I never put out more fertilizer and never got a worse response. Best response I've got all year is from slurry and parlour washings

• Registered Users Posts: 29,143 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Council sewerage overflowed in one of my fields about 3 weeks ago. The grass growth in that area is unreal, rich deep green grass. Rest of the field just got fertiliser

• Registered Users Posts: 9,641 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Artificial N Fert burns off humus and f88ks up natural soil processes eg. Fungi, Mycorrhizae developement - this particular issue becomes most apparent during hot/drought spells

• Registered Users Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

We had a downpour today after spreading 30 acres with fertilliser, same thing happened few weeks back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

badgers out here during the day following the slurry spreader, doing a great job giving the whole field a nice even coat with the splash plate its like xmas for the badgers, poor family of them pawing away at the ground for the whole of july during heat wave, the badger will be reduced to eating in lines when we move to the "enviromental friendly dribble bars"

wildlife seem to adapt and thrive to our farming pratices for all the bashing we get

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭mickey1985

Lads how much do ye pay for hoof repair? Charged 50 there for 1 cow paired and shoed. Just wondering if that is expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

Minimum call out fee 50 -80

id consider that cheap if he only called to do 1 animal

I don't ever see badgers out by day. Man told me before if you see a badger out by day, then it's a sick badger.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,641 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

The also come out by day if disturbed by construction or forestry operations near their dens

• Registered Users Posts: 11,160 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I too have never seen a badger by day (unless it was dead by the side of the road) and we used to have a sett near my home place. No problem seeing them at night or around dawn. If they’re out during the day I reckon they are either sick or starving.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I've only seen a badger in daylight once. Was flying on my bike and the Mrs was with me on hers. Next thing a badger hopped out of the grass verge and back in just as we passed. Gave me a right fright. Mrs was delusional. "Jesus Christ a monkey" she roared. To this day I have no idea what she was thinking

• Registered Users Posts: 11,125 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

From what I hear there was a "good" uptake of glanbia's retirement scheme.

What ever number of farmers that means?

Probably won't be released as not a government organisation.

Anyone with a notion to buy from the dispersal sale today be wary of any animal thats on a red imported card, they have zero beef value and youll have a job even getting them slaughtered in the republic, got badly stung before here

Here we go with the highly profitable again. How do farmers put up with this sh1t.

Arrogant b***k would be to kind of words for that clown, the funniest thing is given the massive uptake in milkflex loans which are usually a 7 year payback period and track the 8 year clawback on capital allowances a 100 cow man that might of got a good sized loan can write of a good chunk of any taxable profit against it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,125 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

With a possible Sinn Fein government in next and their aversion to all things corporate Mr.Brady could be seriously giving out some bad advice.

Time will tell though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,160 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Sinn Fein will not lead the next government.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

In what part of that article are you upset about ?

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭degetme

Are many dairy farmers here in a limited company? Im at a crossroads as profit has been high the last few years and too much tax is being paid

You must be getting your mm mixed up with your inches ?

I've recorded just 17mm in August so far in South Wicklow

A station in Wicklow town 20mm in the last week

Ashford ACS just 4mm in the last 2 days(no records there prior)

However one in Greystones is in line with Wicklow town

That said,in showers you may have copped a big one locally,that the rest didn't get

But 4 inches..No 🤣🤣 that's 100mm

• Registered Users Posts: 29,143 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Typical man , mixing up mm and inches...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

There definitely was 100mm timmays way. Watched monster of rain cloud push in from the sea last week. Here we only got the drizzle of the side of it, 2 km north of me there was reports of rivers running out through field gates and the roundabout at jack whites was flooded, yet ashrord/rathnew had no rain. I'd say we'll over an inch fell in that shower alone. Almost 30mm recorded here for August so far. Weather station on the farm here.

The highly profitable part mostly. I don't see anybody from other industries talking about high profitability in their industries. Such as barristers, dentists, politics. Sure them lads are only getting by. I wouldn't be doing business with that man and plenty like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Fantastic website, how do I change to SI units however? Summer showers like this are always very localised, the 100mm or so we got was an absolute gift, a dairyfarmer 2miles up the road didn't get a patch on it and still under pressure with pregraze covers.

https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/IWICKLOW22/table/2021-08-1/2021-08-1/weekly

• Advertisement

4 inches in one shower would float busses!

A flash flood

Its not that erroneous actually but its not one shower either

When Timmay referred to the past few days in his original post,I looked at August only as we are in day 8!

The daily table suggests 58.67mm fell there practically all day on the 30th july which is in the period Timmay searched the 7 days

I recorded 11mm that day

Approximately 16mm was recorded in Greystones

You can see the 5 min totals on the table for that day on the Dunganstown station on wunderground

All day it rained there like with the exception of about 60 minutes at various stages

Thats not one shower,it looks like a lingering front near the coast that day,that upped the total

Sometimes it happens when a front is slow in the Irish sea,just a few kms along it can hit a section of land and hang around long after clearing elsewhere

The Dunganstown stations total for August so far looks right at 19mm similar to other stations in the locality and about 1.6mm more than me

Dar31 you're inland and on higher ground so would have caught more inland totals than on the coast as that's where showers built in the last fortnight

Your total is similar to a reliable station near Tinahely

Advertisement