Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market 2020 Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭hometruths

Nijmegen wrote: »
    They don't - but as long as demand for household formation outstrips the supply of dwellings available for purchase, the prices will not fall dramatically and will tend to go up over time.

Yes over time, in the long term, assuming the demographics across generations support that as well as immigration, which I’m skeptical of.

In the short term demand for household formation won’t count for a damn if the bank won’t lend the money.

fliball123 wrote: »
    It wont if the availability of property goes down as well as the numbers that can buy go down the status quo continues supply vs demand = price this has always been and always will be the basis of any price

Ok, so why in your opinion will the availability of property go down?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

schmittel wrote: »

A number of reasons firstly very few new builds have been completed over the last while with covid, secondly people have been believing that prices will drop and were pulling back from selling until prices start to rise but it turns out prices didnt go down. thirdly sellers are also buyers and with lending down it means a lot more people are staying put for the time being while Corona is still in play.

Also this is not an opinion this is what has happened over the last 6 months.

fliball123 wrote: »
    A number of reasons firstly very few new builds have been completed over the last while with covid, secondly people have been believing that prices will drop and were pulling back from selling until prices start to rise but it turns out prices didnt go down. thirdly sellers are also buyers and with lending down it means a lot more people are staying put for the time being while Corona is still in play.

Also this is not an opinion this is what has happened over the last 6 months.

Is this the wait and see argument? I.e if you don’t have to sell you would be better off staying put to see how all this plays out?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

There will always be demand for new build houses in a growing population, hence there will always be construction.

My point is I believe the current discourse is flawed and if it leads to building 35,000+ per annum units, majority of which are 3/4 bed family homes in the suburbs/commuter belts it will lead to a massive oversupply in the relatively near future.

I believe Manchester United were the best team in England last season and will win the league next season. Both of those beliefs are bollo*x as they are not supported by fact. I have a vested interest in that I support United.
    I read articles by the toss*er hearne and he said the type of units being delivered has to be correct so there could of be a point there.

• Advertisement

Hubertj wrote: »
    I believe Manchester United were the best team in England last season and will win the league next season. Both of those beliefs are bollo*x as they are not supported by fact. I have a vested interest in that I support United.
    I read articles by the toss*er hearne and he said the type of units being delivered has to be correct so there could of be a point there.

My belief is based on facts.

Though plenty of posters have told me that those facts are from discredited data sources.

Like the CSO.

I’m yet to hear an intelligent argument that has persuaded me otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭JamesMason

My belief is based on facts.

Though plenty of posters have told me that those facts are from discredited data sources.

Like the CSO.

I’m yet to hear an intelligent argument that has persuaded me otherwise.
    The US economy is in tatters...the UK economy has fell into the deepest recession in living memory. However, in Ireland sure it's grand..quick buy a house now...demand is high ...get in now before it's too late.
    It's like CoVid never happened. Bat**** crazy behaviour. When the penny drops in the autumn the SWHTF.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭PropQueries

There are also some such as yourself who say there is no housing shortage. If so why should there be any construction?
    Whatever about demand or availability of credit, there looks to me like a requirement of accommodation. This will have to be provided by the government in some form. There are some idiots that believe the waven pipe spouted out by Sinn Fein.
    Irrespective of what policy you have there is a finite number of construction operatives in this country which determines the number of units that can be delivered. You could always increase the number of migrants to work in construction that could magically build the houses they will live in as well as the houses they will build for commercial purposes.
    The rest is just noise.
    To add, only an idiot would think that prices won’t be adversely affected by current economic issues.

I don't think there is a shortage of construction workers in Ireland at the moment or for the foreseeable future.

The latest Build 2020 Report in July 2020 from the Department of Public Expenditure and Reform states: "that while construction sector employment in 2019 exceeded the level of employment in the year 2000, the number of new dwellings completed in 2019 is estimated to be approximately 60 percent, or over 30,000 units, lower than in the year 2000. This suggests that there is easily enough construction labour in Ireland to meet the housing demand."

You can read it here: https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/c19a5-build-2020-construction-sector-performance-and-capacity/

• Registered Users Posts: 19,868 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

JamesMason wrote: »
    The US economy is in tatters...the UK economy has fell into the deepest recession in living memory. However, in Ireland sure it's grand..quick buy a house now...demand is high ...get in now before it's too late.
    It's like CoVid never happened. Bat**** crazy behaviour. When the penny drops in the autumn the SWHTF.

It’s autumn now is it ? And when it doesn’t happen in autumn it’ll be q1 next year and so on

Eventually you will be right like a stopped clock

• Registered Users Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭wassie

Availability of property has already gone down.

• Advertisement

A few years ago, they changed their measurement of counting new homes entering the market from ESB connections to actual new builds. The ESB measurement used up to then was only counted if the home had been disconnected for at least 2 years previously and then re-connected, which signaled that it was now being used as a home.

I'm sure people will say it's insane logic, but have we actually been under-counting the supply of homes entering the market over the past few years.

Surely, if a house was previously vacant for two years and then re-enters the market, that's the equivalent of a new home entering the market (new build or not), but we have only been counting new builds and may have being significantly under-counting the actual true number of homes entering the market by just concentrating on new builds.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Surely, if a house was previously vacant for two years and then re-enters the market, that's the equivalent of a new home entering the market

that could mean a single property is counted as a 'new build' multiple times.

Probably better that we don't start double counting properties.

Graham wrote: »
    that could mean a single property is counted as a 'new build' multiple times.

Probably better that we don't start double counting properties.

I don't think so as it had to be disconnected for at least two years previously before being counted.

I don't think so as it had to be disconnected for at least two years previously before being counted.

which implies it was previously connected and the second connection would be when the house was sold as a second hand house.

I don't see any benefit at all to adding second-hand houses into the new build counts.

There are many counties where your suggested approach would leave the impression there had been enormous amounts of construction activity over the last 10 years when there has in fact been none.

Graham wrote: »
    which implies it was previously connected and the second connection would be when the house was sold as a second hand house.

I don't see any benefit at all to adding second-hand houses into the new build counts.

There are many counties where your suggested approach would leave the impression there had been enormous amounts of construction activity over the last 10 years when there has in fact been none.

Good point. But it would also provide reliable data on the number of vacant homes coming back into use. Maybe they should re-introduce the ESB connections data alongside the new build data to give us a picture of both new builds and previously vacant homes re-entering the market.

Good point. But it would also provide reliable data on the number of vacant homes coming back into use. Maybe they should re-introduce the ESB connections data alongside the new build data to give us a picture of both new builds and previously vacant homes re-entering the market.

Would also need to be balanced with the number of properties leaving the market.

Not a bad idea but that's probably a topic for another thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

I don't think there is a shortage of construction workers in Ireland at the moment or for the foreseeable future.

The latest Build 2020 Report in July 2020 from the Department of Public Expenditure and Reform states: "that while construction sector employment in 2019 exceeded the level of employment in the year 2000, the number of new dwellings completed in 2019 is estimated to be approximately 60 percent, or over 30,000 units, lower than in the year 2000. This suggests that there is easily enough construction labour in Ireland to meet the housing demand."

You can read it here: https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/c19a5-build-2020-construction-sector-performance-and-capacity/

Thank you, will take a look - productivity summary gives a couple of interesting highlights. If employment levels are high why has productivity fallen so much.

Thank you, will take a look - productivity summary gives a couple of interesting highlights. If employment levels are high why has productivity fallen so much.

I would assume they were employed in office and student accommodation developments. They can probably now hopefully easily move over to residential development.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

Is this the wait and see argument? I.e if you don’t have to sell you would be better off staying put to see how all this plays out?

Well it would make sense I mean we are in an unprecedented situation of a pandemic never seen before but you also have to weigh up that some people have been waiting for prices to drop from the day the term Brexit was coined so there is a lot of pent up demand as well

Not sure if this is a good example, but asking prices in this estate in South Dublin are now back at the prices they sold for in 2014.

This is the house on MyHome.ie: https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/11-glenbourne-grove-leopardstown-dublin-18/4447555

These are the actual selling prices on the same road in the estate according to the Property Price Register over the past number of years: https://www.propertypriceregister.ie/website/npsra/PPR/npsra-ppr.nsf/PPR-By-Date&Start=1&Query=[address]=Glenbourne%20Grove%20AND%20%5Bdc_county%5D=Dublin&County=Dublin&Year=&StartMonth=&EndMonth=&Address=Glenbourne%20Grove

*You may have to copy and paste the link for the Property Price Register page to go to the page for that estate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭accensi0n

I'd be willing to bet €100 that sells for more than 450K if anyone wants to take me up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Cyrus wrote: »
    It’s autumn now is it ? And when it doesn’t happen in autumn it’ll be q1 next year and so on

Eventually you will be right like a stopped clock

He can't tell you when the radical State interventions will end but it's soon after that. Wake up.

accensi0n wrote: »
    I'd be willing to bet €100 that sells for more than 450K if anyone wants to take me up on it.

i sold on this road in 2016, for 455k, which was over asking, so I reckon it's about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Shelga

My limited, tiny experience of looking to buy is that apartments are going for under asking; houses are not. I think because of the pandemic, people want access to outside space even more than before. It's certainly true for me. I would now prefer a house to an apartment, even if it's in a worse area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Shelga wrote: »
    My limited, tiny experience of looking to buy is that apartments are going for under asking; houses are not. I think because of the pandemic, people want access to outside space even more than before. It's certainly true for me. I would now prefer a house to an apartment, even if it's in a worse area.

Not in my experience. Area is always the most important factor.

• Site Banned Posts: 149 ✭✭Iceman29

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭Springy Turf

Iceman29 wrote: »

Those approvals are for final approval I believe, not AIP, in case anyone reads into it as a leading indicator. It would correlate closely with the number of transactions completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Shelga

MattS1 wrote: »
    Not in my experience. Area is always the most important factor.

Oh I agree that an apartment in a desirable area will be priced higher than a house in a less desirable area, but I suppose what I mean is, apartments don't seem to be shifting as quickly.

There have been bids coming in steadily for houses I've looked at, but not apartments. Could be that the owner is pricing too high, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

Those approvals are for final approval I believe, not AIP, in case anyone reads into it as a leading indicator. It would correlate closely with the number of transactions completed.

Isn't that the important one?

AIP can be done online in 2 mins

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 149 ✭✭Iceman29

So basically there's been a 31% reduction in final approvals
    ie banks tightening the rules.
    31% less people able to draw down.
    31% less demand
    31% less people able to borrow
    31% that will will grow as more job losses happen

This is pretty massive of everyone is being honest here

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement