Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market 2020 Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8 jgt3

cnocbui wrote: »
    I took it you were talking about house building. were you talking about something else?

No I forgot to quote but I was working on the tangent about beef industry / brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,166 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Thanks.
    Would it be safee over 30 years.
    Also more interest paid.

Over 30 years repayments should be about 150/ month less at about 11070/ month on a five year fixed. It we would cost about 18-20kin extra interest. However I would not get caught up on extra interest if it reduced financial stress on you it would be worth it.

My own theory on mortgages is usually financial stress occurs more because of ancillary loans or borrowings that are short-term such as credit cards or car loans. If a longer term mortgage allows you to avoid prepaying electricity, or stage paying insurance or car tax it will allow you to control savings better.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 3,059 ✭✭✭Sarn

• Registered Users Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭Timing belt

Included within AIB's half yearly report are there assumptions for the economy to work out the level of bad debt provision booked.

Apologise if this has already been shared but I thought people may be interested in there assumptions on house prices

529751.JPG

Source: https://aib.ie/investorrelations/financial-information/results-centre/2020-annual-financial-results

• Advertisement

Here is BOI Assumptions included in there Half yearly report

529753.JPG

529754.JPG

source: https://investorrelations.bankofireland.com/app/uploads/BOI-Interim-Report-2020.pdf

It will be interesting to see if there is a change in assumptions when they publish there Q3 results at the end of the month

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭hometruths

It will be interesting to see if there is a change in assumptions when they publish there Q3 results at the end of the month

Yes, presumably the probability of "Upside Scenario' is looking much closer to zero now.

Actually probability of BOI's 'Central Scenario' also looking a lot more like zero now too.

schmittel wrote: »
    Yes, presumably the probability of "Upside Scenario' is looking much closer to zero now.

Actually probability of BOI's 'Central Scenario' also looking a lot more like zero now too.

Bank of Ireland do make reference to house price lagging behind the economy.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭hometruths

Bank of Ireland do make reference house price lagging behind the economy.

Yes but presumably the 10% fall prediction was by year end. I guess they will update that too.

• Advertisement

schmittel wrote: »
    Yes but presumably the 10% fall prediction was by year end. I guess they will update that too.

I see what you mean... will be interesting to see if they push it out to 2021

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭thefridge2006

I like how selective you are in choosing 2024 (in an attempt to undermine my contribution to this thread) when my post stated late 2022 and 2023/24. Newsflash, there is not much time between late 2022 and 2023.

May i ask how exactly are you a mod? All you seem to do is try embarrass and vilify posters who expect property prices to drop.

I've said this in the past. Some Mods in here should be ashamed of themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

I would like to officially push out my prediction of a major property price drop to Jan 2022 from my previous one of Jan 2021.
    If it hasnt happened by then, make it Jan 2023.
    I'll be right in the end. I always am.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Balluba

JimmyVik wrote: »
    I would like to officially push out my prediction of a major property price drop to Jan 2022 from my previous one of Jan 2021.
    If it hasnt happened by then, make it Jan 2023.
    I'll be right in the end. I always am.

I see that the Daft Report/ Oct is published this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 7,445 ✭✭✭fliball123

Balluba wrote: »
    I see that the Daft Report/ Oct is published this morning

http://www.msn.com/en-ie/money/news/house-prices-rise-5percent-as-supply-falls-to-lowest-in-over-a-decade/ar-BB1aa3Za?li=BBr5KbJ&ocid=iehp

wow and here was me being ridiculed continuously over stating that supply is dwindling all the time and that this would impact price as night is dark and day is light both statements are true as is supply vs demand = price ...

So the theories of housing follows the economy ...when did the ecconomy go up by 5% in the last 2 years???? I have said that this time it is different then 2008 the comparisons on here to that crash have been laughable. Add in that Pfizer are hopefully close to getting clearence for a vaccine by next month the doomsayers will be pissing in their cornflakes this morning

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/1016/1172037-pfizer-could-file-for-vaccine-clearance-next-month/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭KennisWhale

fliball123 wrote: »
    http://www.msn.com/en-ie/money/news/house-prices-rise-5percent-as-supply-falls-to-lowest-in-over-a-decade/ar-BB1aa3Za?li=BBr5KbJ&ocid=iehp

wow and here was me being ridiculed continuously over stating that supply is dwindling all the time and that this would impact price as night is dark and day is light both statements are true as is supply vs demand = price ...

So the theories of housing follows the economy ...when did the ecconomy go up by 5% in the last 2 years???? I have said that this time it is different then 2008 the comparisons on here to that crash have been laughable. Add in that Pfizer are hopefully close to getting clearence for a vaccine by next month the doomsayers will be pissing in their cornflakes this morning

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/1016/1172037-pfizer-could-file-for-vaccine-clearance-next-month/

It's meaningless data - the volume of transactions is less than half of what it was last year for the same period.

Remember, we have not had the covid economic fallout yet as governments are still propping it all up. The economic fallout won't come until restrictions are eased, then a few months later we will see the impact on the property market. Any commentary on the state of the market because of covid, right now, is irrelevant (whether someone says everything is fine or not).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

It's meaningless data - the volume of transactions is less than half of what it was last year for the same period.

Remember, we have not had the covid economic fallout yet as governments are still propping it all up. The economic fallout won't come until restrictions are eased, then a few months later we will see the impact on the property market. Any commentary on the state of the market because of covid, right now, is irrelevant (whether someone says everything is fine or not).

i agree with you. But i think the poster is referring to others in the forum constantly stating the crash is imminent. As you correctly said, the dust has to settle before we can understand where prices will fall to.

Are you assuming that the Irish public will have confidence in a vaccine that was fast tracked through safety tests?

Well the volume of transactions is also on the way up I think I heard a poster stating it was down to a third of what it was this time last year a couple of months ago and now its up to half. Look I am not saying buy or sell, but the data to date has proven me right with regards to the supply issue and its impact on current prices. Now what happens when Covid is no longer an issue is anyone guess.

Are you assuming that the Irish public will have confidence in a vaccine that was fast tracked through safety tests?

Well it will be well tested by then sure if you look at history any vaccine has been resisted going back to the likes of the Polio vaccine, apparently Elvis had to be hired to get people taking it. It may take a while a year or 2 but I think if people have to continue living under lockdown rules I reckon the majority will risk it in order to get back to living a normal life

• Advertisement

Well it will be well tested by then sure if you look at history any vaccine has been resisted going back to the likes of the Polio vaccine, apparently Elvis had to be hired to get people taking it. It may take a while a year or 2 but I think if people have to continue living under lockdown rules I reckon the majority will risk it in order to get back to living a normal life

I’m sure Meghan and Harry can be hired this time to persuade us to take it

I’m sure Meghan and Harry can be hired this time to persuade us to take it

Funnily enough I believe the queen is going to be asked to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

Supply is low. AFAIK and can see there are alot of people awash with money. Ireland is not a poor country. These rich/well off have their own houses BUT as investment goes in Ireland property is always king. If prices drop 5/10 % (which they mightn't ) till be these guys/gals buying the limited stock.
    VERSUS
    Mini recession due to covid. And all that entails. Not so much money backed demand from people that NEED housing.

The unfortunate trend especially in Ireland is of ever increasing house prices relative to wages. This trend is very worrying, and should be reversed. Can only be reversed by government and private partnerships wanting the same thing. I'm thinking of the Leitrim Architect who put up a 3 bed A rated house in 2008 for 25k + (5-10k labour). Check it out on Irishvernacular.com. 🀔

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭fago

I think it's almost impossible to read anything into asking prices, in my view.

myhome price changes taking a random sampling of 5 pages has 75% reductions, 25% up. I don't know how to square that against the daft report, the source data should be the same.
    And then there's also the fiddling that goes on such as a property taken down at 750 and reposted at 685. If 685 is above the current median asking price is that an increase, or because its a relisting is it marked as a decrease?

Only 2 things are reliable - you're properly interested in a place, you ring an auctioneer and they tell you the current offer and go from there against your budget/interest, or look at the PPR

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭Marius34

wrong.
    the volume of transactions is around 30% lower, and recovering.

fago wrote: »
    I think it's almost impossible to read anything into asking prices, in my view.

myhome price changes taking a random sampling of 5 pages has 75% reductions, 25% up. I don't know how to square that against the daft report, the source data should be the same.
    And then there's also the fiddling that goes on such as a property taken down at 750 and reposted at 685. If 685 is above the current median asking price is that an increase, or because its a relisting is it marked as a decrease?

Only 2 things are reliable - you're properly interested in a place, you ring an auctioneer and they tell you the current offer and go from there against your budget/interest, or look at the PPR

In stable market I would expect mast majority of price changes to be as reduced, and in rare cases increased. If you can't sell something for defined price, don't see much reasons why would you want to increase asking price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭KennisWhale

Marius34 wrote: »
    wrong.
    the volume of transactions is around 30% lower, and recovering.

Not wrong at all.

There has been a 40% fall off in transactions in August, which followed (by comparison to the same months in 2019) 40.7% lower in July, 53.6% lower in June, 46% lower in May and 29% lower in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭PropQueries

Some news on the potential impact of WFH on the commercial property market in the UK:

"Deloitte is planning to close four of its 50 UK offices in the coming months as the coronavirus pandemic has forced the accounting group to cut costs and remote working has reduced its need for expensive property leases."

From same article:

"In August, Capita, a major government outsourcer, revealed it was planning to close more than a third of its 250 offices to allow thousands of its staff to work from home for good."

Link to FT article here: https://www.ft.com/content/1e82aa9e-a982-4e7d-889b-e4bb4d24bb1c

lalababa wrote: »
    The unfortunate trend especially in Ireland is of ever increasing house prices relative to wages. This trend is very worrying, and should be reversed. €”

We aren't stuck for land in Ireland. There is no reason we cant build enough houses for our small population. It's a failure of policy.

• Advertisement

Not wrong at all.

There has been a 40% fall off in transactions in August, which followed (by comparison to the same months in 2019) 40.7% lower in July, 53.6% lower in June, 46% lower in May and 29% lower in April.

This is not all transactions, just some that are filled with revenue, that we don't know well what that even mean. The actual transactions from PPR is just around 30% lower in volumes.

Even with this data provided about revenue, would be wrong to say that transactions are less than half, as this happened for one month only.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement