Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market 2020 Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Milena009 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Quick question about fees outside of the deposit.

I know that properties (new builds) have booking deposit which is refundable when HTB kick in for developer.

What fees / percentages of them are a given?

Like solicitor / stamp duty etc?

Asking on example of 320k property in Kildare.

Thank you

Stamp duty is 1% of the purchase price. A solicitor I'd budget maybe 1.5-2.5k for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,450 ✭✭✭CorkRed93

TheSheriff wrote: »
    Commercial property will indeed suffer most I feel.
    commercial property looks goosed, particularly bricks and mortar retail.

What happens with these units then if unused for retail? do people see them just laying idle or possible some can/will be converted for different use?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭PropQueries

CorkRed93 wrote: »
    What happens with these units then if unused for retail? do people see them just laying idle or possible some can/will be converted for different use?

That's a good question. Years ago the site/property owners could just sit on them for years in the belief (justified in many cases), that there would always be some level of demand for their sites/properties from retail, office or hotel use etc.

Internet shopping, WFH etc. has turned that future potential use on its head. If they can't develop them, who will buy them and for what use?

Maybe someone can clarify how long before they are required to wait before they must write down the values on their books? I'm assuming extending and pretending won't wash with many investors going forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭Timing belt

They will probably lie idle or they will tweet permissions to let Restraunt or bars take over but that will mean they are idle with covid. Office space could be converted to flats

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭Timing belt

That's a good question. Years ago the site/property owners could just sit on them for years in the belief (justified in many cases), that there would always be some level of demand for their sites/properties from retail, office or hotel use etc.

Internet shopping, WFH etc. has turned that future potential use on its head. If they can't develop them, who will buy them and for what use?

Maybe someone can clarify how long before they are required to wait before they must write down the values on their books? I'm assuming extending and pretending won't wash with many investors going forward.

All these properties are owned by funds who will need to book an impairment charge for the leases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭virginmediapls

The new Somerton house in Adamstown are going on sale Friday. The 3 beds start at 365k. I got a shock!

The Newpark ones started at 315k

Jaysus christ don't come to Adamstown. I live here and it's going to the dogs i mo thuairim fein.

Edit: You'd want to be cracked to even consider €365k here as well !!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭wassie

100% agree. Nothing really done since independence. However, I did read an interesting analysis last year about how the cost of building a new estate in e.g. Kildare, Meath or Wicklow is actually more expensive than building a new estate in Co. Dublin when the cost of upgrading the roads, rail networks, water treatment plants etc. to cater for the new households are added into the equation.

Not surprising as once upon a time all of the necessary infrastructure for land development was supplied by the state or local authority. However the system has slowly migrated to a user pays system with cost shifting onto the end user. Hence this will cost more in less established areas. I would state this is a broad generalisation however and there will always be local circumstances in play.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Jaysus christ don't come to Adamstown. I live here and it's going to the dogs i mo thuairim fein.

Edit: You'd want to be cracked to even consider €365k here as well !!

Maybe they're set at that price for the state to purchase?

Seems a lot...

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sandy2020

fliball123 wrote: »
    Where in Meath is it?

Drogheda

• Registered Users Posts: 19,784 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Dutch home prices jumped in the third quarter as a shortage of properties enabled the market to shrug off an economic contraction.

The median-weighted transaction price climbed 11.6% on an annual basis to 354,000 euros ($416,000), realtors association NVM reported on Thursday. In Amsterdam, the country’s biggest city, there was an 8% increase.

“Consumers hardly have anything to choose from any more,” NVM Chairman Onno Hoes said in a statement. “The housing market really needs more supply to keep housing affordable for a large number of people.”
    https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-10-15/dutch-home-prices-jump-as-the-market-overcomes-economic-weakness?srnd=premium-europe

Reminds me of another country, the name of which escapes me; give me a minute, it's sure to come to me...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Dwarf.Shortage

I'm actually heartened for the first time in a long time that steps in the right direction are afoot. If the increased funding to build social housing removes or even materially reduces the extent of the government out bidding people trying to purchase private housing things should improve a bit supply wise.

It's not a panacea and I don't think there is one, but it will help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭KennisWhale

Amazon will set up customer care hubs or Starbucks will take them over.

/ half-joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

I'm actually heartened for the first time in a long time that steps in the right direction are afoot. If the increased funding to build social housing removes or even materially reduces the extent of the government out bidding people trying to purchase private housing things should improve a bit supply wise.

It's not a panacea and I don't think there is one, but it will help.

Your optimism is admirable. We'll likely not know for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 merikahan

The new Somerton house in Adamstown are going on sale Friday. The 3 beds start at 365k. I got a shock!

The Newpark ones started at 315k

The bay view in Baldoyle is starting from 410K with 425K for 112 sqm 3 bed house.

100 years from now, we’ll called as a generation which couldn’t afford a house.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭PropQueries

The Government plans to fund remote hubs in rural towns and villages over the next two years as part of the development of a State strategy on remote working.

Leo Varadkar has "warned that we have to look at the risks to the country as well of people who currently live in Ireland perhaps remote working from the Canaries, or Ibiza or Poland or India. That’s a real risk to us in terms of losing jobs."

Link to article in Irish Times: https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/remote-working-hubs-to-be-funded-by-government-as-part-of-state-strategy-1.4382006

• Registered Users Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭brisan

donnaille wrote: »
    Yes, that's my understanding too.
    Changed it to monthly reports in May of this year

https://www.daft.ie/report

combat14 wrote: »
    house prices are almost back to crazy celtic tiger boom levels (only 18% off) and rents here are now insane..

FF/FG will have to tackle this issue at some stage or the country faces a potential youth brain drain post covid 19 or else a massive renewed vote for SF next time out

That is my take on the matter

merikahan wrote: »
    The bay view in Baldoyle is starting from 410K with 425K for 112 sqm 3 bed house.

100 years from now, we’ll called as a generation which couldn’t afford a house.

A 3 bedroom of that size in San Franciso would cost you 2-3 times that. Same for many other cities around the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭cubatahavana

cnocbui wrote: »
    A 3 bedroom of that size in San Franciso would cost you 2-3 times that. Same for many other cities around the world.

Bit unfair to compare baldoyle to San Fran

I have bought a house in a new estate this year and at least 90% are privately owned.

Well then the Developer paid a fee to the Government to enable this to happen
    Although I thought this practice was banned and the developer had to hand over 20% of the estate to the council
    I am however open to correction on that

• Advertisement

fliball123 wrote: »
    So just out of curiosity I know we have had our differences but what would you do to solve it? NOt attacking you now or anything!

My idea would be to visit the magical money tree that FFG said did not exist when SF said it did
    Lo and behold during the pandemic FFG found the tree
    Borrow 5 billion
    Build 25,000 3 bed 3 bath 99sq mt houses on state owned land at 200,000 each
    Sell 20,000 at 250,000 each for 5 billion and keep 5000 for social housing
    Rinse and repeat for a few years
    Let the private developers build the dearer houses and scrap the HTB scheme altogether
    If you sell one of the state built houses within 10 years you pay penal taxes on the profits on a gradually decreasing scale starting at year 5
    Only owner occupiers allowed to buy

schmittel wrote: »
    There is a huge range of measures which would make up quite a long post but in a nutshell it would involve 180 degree turn in change of focus and strategy to reallocate housing budgets and resources.

The short version:

Scrap all Help to Buy/Shared Equity etc etc measures designed to make housing more affordable to private buyers. Reallocate these funds to HAP/Social Housing budgets. Set a more modest limit on HAP rates than current market rates.

Scrap all rent controls. Let private landlords charge what they think the market will bear. Scrap all long term leases for social housing with landlords, offer them tax incentives to offer longer leases in private rental market. Generally improve tax risk/reward for landlords.

Although no rent controls keep designated RPZs as a marker of where problems are greatest.

Hammer any Airbnbs hard in current RPZs to get them either on market for sale or market for rent. Enforce it properly in the future.

Introduce vacant property register in RPZs. (Give the job to the CSO, not Fingal CC!)

Reduce CGT on sale of long term vacant property if sold within next 6 months.

Introduce some sort of planning permission type system for vacant property in RPZs - i.e no tax if you wish to keep a property vacant but you need to have a good reason. Enforce it properly. Monitor it. If a property is listed as a rental, check it regularly.

Increase CAT allowances within a near term timescale specifically for pensioners downsizing properties in RPZs.

Introduced government backed bridging loans for downsizers.

Do a deal with banks/vulture funds whereby the government pledges a change in policy and to promote change in public opinion on arrears - i.e if you are not paying your mortgage we will repossess you.

In exchange banks/vulture funds hand over the loan books of those who are genuinely the poorest in need of most help, and every property that is suitable for social housing.

So basically if Vultures Inc have an unemployed family of four living in a modest house, or modest buy to let, it becomes the governments problem.

And if they have a celebrity chef and model living in a 1m house in Clontarf they have the green light to fast track the repo and get it on the market.

Clear all this overhang and then scrap CB lending limits. Allow banks to lend as much as they wish based on their risk analysis of individual borrower BUT with non recourse loans and fast tracked repos after 6 months.

I could go on and on and on but you get the idea, basically the opposite of everything we are doing now!

And this government have the perfect excuse with which to protect themselves from some of the negative fall out from the above - they can blame covid impact on the economy.
    No one could have a problem with that

Yeah, one is in a nations capital city and the other isn't.

Probably the truest post in the entire thread ,especially considering saying That Bayview is in Baldoyle is a stretch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Absolutely.

There is a massive homeless problem in San Fran. The real kind of homeless too.

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    Absolutely.

There is a massive homeless problem in San Fran. The real kind of homeless too.

You think San Fran is bad ,check out san Diego
    Local councils used to give their local homeless a free train ticket to San Diego to get them out of town
    Best climate in the states ,rarely goes below zero degrees and very little rainfall
    Although you do have June Gloom

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Smouse156

Come on?? Baldoyle has WAY more going on than SAN FRAN

Ok, how about Hilversum, Holland - https://www.funda.nl/en/koop/hilversum/huis-41048972-eikbosserweg-83/

A 97 sqm postage stamp for €485,000

And that Baldoyle house price wouldn't even get you the land to build a house on in much of Sydney.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 merikahan

cnocbui wrote: »

having lived & worked in SFO for sometime , this is hilarious post.. In SFO, they also pay 4-5 times of Dublin wages for IT workers.

• Advertisement

merikahan wrote: »
    having lived & worked in SFO for sometime , this is hilarious post.. In SFO, they also pay 4-5 times of Dublin wages for IT workers.

Next you will be telling me Sydney has 4 times as much sunshine as Dublin, so of course...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement