Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market 2020 Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,943 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

mariaalice wrote: »
    Its luck for the vast majority plus you need to be wealthy or well off in the first place, a well off solicitor who decided to sell their house last autumn and take a punt on renting for a year or two, they are in a vastly different position than a first-time buyer who keeps having to renew their mortgage approval.

We did very well out of the downturn but it was pure luck and that is the same for the vast majority who do well out of it.

or the wealthy solicitor who bought a house for 1.5m on the basis of their earnings last year is in a pretty tight spot now given partner draws are being curtailed and their firms ability to generate fees has suffered the past 4 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,451 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Cyrus wrote: »
    or the wealthy solicitor who bought a house for 1.5m on the basis of their earnings last year is in a pretty tight spot now given partner draws are being curtailed and their firms ability to generate fees has suffered the past 4 months.

Well yes of course but solicitor and the law tend to be gossipy professions and well in the know of what is happening, it can go wrong as well renting for a year or two there is no guarantee that property will be cheaper next year a possibility is not a guarantee.

The mystical solicitor is taking a punt on renting for a while, in the hopes that the price of very desirable period properties they have their eye on fall in price in the next year or two.

My point is that you need to be reasonably well off in the first place to even attempt to play the market.

Well yes of course but solicitor and the law tend to be gossipy professions and well in the know of what is happening, it can go wrong as well renting for a year or two there is no guarantee that property will be cheaper next year a possibility is not a guarantee.

The mystical solicitor is taking a punt on renting for a while, in the hopes that the price of very desirable period properties they have their eye on fall in price in the next year or two.

My point is that you need to be reasonably well off in the first place to even attempt to play the market.

perhaps but i would certainly not overestimate solicitors ability to call the market, countless solicitors and accountants (partners in the large firms) were very much caught on the hop in 2007/8 as well as judges and others.

they had so much space in this gaff they used one room to mirror a cheap barbers

christ :D

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/garryhoe-sydenham-road-dundrum-dublin-14/4434130

perhaps but i would certainly not overestimate solicitors ability to call the market, countless solicitors and accountants (partners in the large firms) were very much caught on the hop in 2007/8 as well as judges and others.

Maybe my point is not clear I am not saying they are calling the market but rather they are in a financial position to take a punt on it which may work out but there is no guarantee, very few are financially in a position to do that.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,648 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

they had so much space in this gaff they used one room to mirror a cheap barbers

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/garryhoe-sydenham-road-dundrum-dublin-14/4434130

That house is big but it's fairly fugly. Outside it doesn't really know what it is, it's a mish-mash of styles.

Inside is spacious and as bland as you can possibly find. Owner clearly struggled to find use of the space.

awec wrote: »
    That house is big but it's fairly fugly. Outside it doesn't really know what it is, it's a mish-mash of styles.

Inside is spacious and as bland as you can possibly find. Owner clearly struggled to find use of the space.

the filled in hole between the kitchen pendants is a low light, youd think they could have gotten it done properly,

but yes i agree, the space hasnt been used well at all.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

You know your house is big when your bedroom has a lobby. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

James 007 wrote: »
    https://www.daft.ie/dublin/houses-for-sale/drumcondra/24-lambay-road-drumcondra-drumcondra-dublin-2634517/

Is this worth this price. Please note that all plants featured in the photos were not harmed in any way. Also note the 7 candles by the fire hearth are not included in the sale of the property. Spot the difference teaser photo 20 & 21:rolleyes:

All things considered (and excessive candles notwithstanding) but I think that house will sell easily. Desirable location, area with good schools, not far from the city and its been decorated very well. Wouldnt be surprised if it went for over asking, as it really is in turnkey condition and properties like that are becoming more rare.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭hometruths

SozBbz wrote: »
    All things considered (and excessive candles notwithstanding) but I think that house will sell easily. Desirable location, area with good schools, not far from the city and its been decorated very well. Wouldnt be surprised if it went for over asking, as it really is in turnkey condition and properties like that are becoming more rare.

If that yoke goes above asking I will concede I know absolutely nothing about anything.

• Advertisement

Humm.... if I had €2.5m to spend, I wouldnt be dropping it on that place.

There are some serious houses in that little corner of Dundrum, but it wouldn't appeal to me at that price. I'd want a genuine Victorian pile either closer to the city of out by the coast.

Thats quite a bland house and the decor is starting to show its age. A new owner would probably want to redecorate which given the size of the place would not be an insignificant amount of money. Not sure who the buyer is for that.

schmittel wrote: »
    If that yoke goes above asking I will concede I know absolutely nothing about anything.

its at the price point where there are enough people who can afford it that it should sell. But i think the reality of the finishes isnt quite as they are presenting the place, there are a few giveaways that it isnt as well kept as they would like you to think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

There are some serious houses in that little corner of Dundrum, but it wouldn't appeal to me at that price. I'd want a genuine Victorian pile either closer to the city of out by the coast.

Thats quite a bland house and the decor is starting to show its age. A new owner would probably want to redecorate which given the size of the place would not be an insignificant amount of money. Not sure who the buyer is for that.

Ill take it if you dont want it :)

Theres more people who want to buy a house thats "done" than there are houses that match that criteria. Especially in mature areas like Drumcondra where there arent going to be many new builds - maybe the occasional infill site, but they're bound to be expensive.

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Ill take it if you dont want it :)

Hey, its your €2.5m :)

yes my thoughts exactly, the cost of redecorating 5000 sq feet will be significant and it certainly needs it. id imagine it was built 20-25 years ago looking at the decor.

The bland can be fixed, but the garden is too small for the house and that can not be fixed.

its at the price point where there are enough people who can afford it that it should sell. But i think the reality of the finishes isnt quite as they are presenting the place, there are a few giveaways that it isnt as well kept as they would like you to think.

Oh perhaps, theres only so much you can tell from photos but even if there are some things you'd do in time, the fact that the extension is already done and the layout seems sensible.

LOL at the EA and the amount of spurious photos. Are 2x photos of the bottle of wine necessary? Not to mention the cafetiere....:rolleyes:

"LIVE HERE AND YOU WILL BE A FANCY PERSON WHO DRINKS WINE AND COFFEE". Wow.

The bland can be fixed, but the garden is too small for the house and that can not be fixed.

This is always going to be the case with newer build properties, big plots are a thing of the past. This is one of the main reasons I love old houses, despite their various quirks and costs associated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Oh perhaps, theres only so much you can tell from photos but even if there are some things you'd do in time, the fact that the extension is already done and the layout seems sensible.

LOL at the EA and the amount of spurious photos. Are 2x photos of the bottle of wine necessary? Not to mention the cafetiere....:rolleyes:

"LIVE HERE AND YOU WILL BE A FANCY PERSON WHO DRINKS WINE AND COFFEE". Wow.

I always find those ads hilarious. **** you estate agent, don't tell me how to live my ****ing life!

• Advertisement

Markitron wrote: »
    I always find those ads hilarious. **** you estate agent, don't tell me how to live my ****ing life!

Its one of those things that need to be done subtly or it just becomes comical.

The cafetiere actually appears 3 times. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

I don't know Drumcondra at all so don't know if that is or isnt a good price. All the plants just make the place look odd..... The couch looks like it blocks access from the dining room to the living room, making the double doors a bit pointless. In the dining room, the 6 seater table is pushed against the wall which indicates the room isn't wide enough to accommodate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ngunners

Hubertj wrote: »
    I don't know Drumcondra at all so don't know if that is or isnt a good price. All the plants just make the place look odd..... The couch looks like it blocks access from the dining room to the living room, making the double doors a bit pointless. In the dining room, the 6 seater table is pushed against the wall which indicates the room isn't wide enough to accommodate it.

Drumcondra is a great location in fairness but that price for that house seems excessive to me. If it were semi-detached or detached maybe.

Well presumably the vendors will take their plants and ill fitting furniture with them. People love those extensions with those big folding doors at the back.

Those roads (between Griffith Ave and Homefarm Road) are all older stock and when they come on the market, its often executor sales and they're in poor enough condition. Who knows why these people are selling, but its just rare enough for a modernish house to come up on those roads and when they do they tend to sell easily enough.

I was watching one last year that was being sold due to a divorce on a neighbouring road (nicer road IMO) and it was in lovely condition. It was asking €750k and went sale agreed in about 2 weeks at asking price and the sale went through.

I don't know the area either - I just think the house is hideous and cannot fathom a world where someone with the ability to pay over €2.5m for a house would choose to spend it on this.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,062 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I don't know the area either - I just think the house is hideous and cannot fathom a world where someone with the ability to pay over €2.5m for a house would choose to spend it on this.

You're talking about 2 different houses. The one you are on about is in Ranelagh, the one scmittel is on about is in Drumcondra and costs 500+k.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,607 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

There is a 2.5m house here from Dundrum, and a 500k house from Drumcondra.

I reckon you put that Dundrum house in Drumcondra and the value drops to about 1.9m

Out of interest, I had a look around that pricepoint on MyHome, and there are actually quite a lot of hideous, bland houses like this at that pricepoint.

Who knew?

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/blackwood-lodge-3-blackwoods-blackwood-lane-malahide-co-dublin-k36-pc04/4306769

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/6-homeleigh-porterstown-castleknock-dublin-15-d15-fhk4/4148793

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/35-abington-malahide-co-dublin-k36-eh24/4377234

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/60-nutley-avenue-donnybrook-dublin-4/4363689

I felt this one deserved its own post as you couldnt possibly accuse the owners of having bland taste.

https://www.myhome.ie/residential/brochure/holyrood-castle-holyrood-park-sandymount-dublin-4-d04-ae36/4355686

• Advertisement

You're talking about 2 different houses. The one you are on about is in Ranelagh, the one scmittel is on about is in Drumcondra and costs 500+k.

Actually I am talking about the one in Dundrum for €2.5m. I think I misread Hubertj's post seeing Dundrum for Drumcondra.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement