Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Property Market 2020 Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭The Belly

ECB will make money work one of other way.

Some Banks will be re capitalised but it will not flow downwards at the rate it should.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

The Belly wrote: »
    Oh it will be a bail in thats a cert imo. But lets not get into that or i will get a warning.

I think the problem is you are just miserable. It’s not healthy. The conspiracy theories, doom mongery, fantasies etc isn’t good for the head. I would suggest talking to someone about it. It definitely benefitted me in the past. Otherwise you will waste your life waiting for your prophecies to come true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭neutral guy

Banks will be re capitalised but it will not flow downwards at the rate it should.
    Old lending system collapsed and does not work the recession started year before Covid.The best way for politicians keep trousers dry is tell everybody this is Covid created propblems not us ! Year by year,step by step Ireland run to the dead end were country are now.Nobody does not say Yes,we created this problem ! Everybody says Covid created this problem ! Because if they will say We Created this problem they will never win elections again ! Everybody wash them hands now.
    There is millions problems to solve as debts of EU countries,low incomes,etc

Hubertj wrote: »
    I think the problem is you are just miserable. It’s not healthy. The conspiracy theories, doom mongery, fantasies etc isn’t good for the head. I would suggest talking to someone about it. It definitely benefitted me in the past. Otherwise you will waste your life waiting for your prophecies to come true.

That made me laugh. It has no effect on me either way but i see what i see.Your obviously young and more power to you and have not seen this before. Btw i havent either i lived through bad but this is a sh.it storm coming. We all decide what we choose to at the end of the day but based on the evidence it aint looking at all good.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

I dont think it has anything to do with getting a house for half price but if you look at how things are and where they are heading i wouldn't be running out to buy anything.

The problem is when everyone starts to think and act like that, a recession becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Much will hinge on the government interventions outlasting either a vaccine, or getting coronavirus under control.

To your other point, I do think there are more than a handful who do genuinely expect they'll be able to get a house for half price.

• Advertisement

Graham wrote: »
    The problem is when everyone starts to think and act like that, a recession becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Much will hinge on the government interventions outlasting either a vaccine, or getting coronavirus under control.

Agreed no vaccine in sight any time soon. Government intervention is key it has to be massive. If that happens well we might avoid the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Hubertj

That made me laugh. It has no effect on me either way but i see what i see.Your obviously young and more power to you and have not seen this before. Btw i havent either i lived through bad but this is a sh.it storm coming. We all decide what we choose to at the end of the day but based on the evidence it aint looking at all good.

I’m 43, married with 2 kids, life has been good to me, my family and friends. Plenty wrong with Ireland but plenty to be thankful for. There are people who get on with their lives and there are people like you.

Hubertj wrote: »
    I’m 43, married with 2 kids, life has been good to me, my family and friends. Plenty wrong with Ireland but plenty to be thankful for. There are people who get on with their lives and there are people like you.

Well im sorry if my views dont suit you. What ever happens will happen the sun will still rise. I've just never seen anything like this and have zero faith in the gov to deal with it. Sorry if that offends you.

Agreed no vaccine in sight any time soon.

Some serious amount of global effort and billions being spent to change that while in the background, manufacturing, packaging, distribution, logistics are all being setup ready.

Regardless, I certainly wouldn't be nailing my flag to the half-price property mast.

Some serious amount of global effort and billions being spent to change that while in the background, manufacturing, packaging, distribution, logistics are all being setup ready.

Regardless, I certainly wouldn't be nailing my flag to the half-price property mast.

Really hard to gauge. Vaccine no. It takes to long. ECb need to intervene in a big way. Hopefully they will.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭bdmc5

I dont think it has anything to do with getting a house for half price but if you look at how things are and where they are heading i wouldn't be running out to buy anything.

Well the way things are heading is there's 1000s of people returning to work weekly, there hundreds of thousands working from home or working normally unimpacted the last 6 months and economic activity in first 2 months of this quarter are up considerably than previous quarters.

Schools have gone back after the summer and the pubs are reopening with thousands more back in employment so it's understandable there's still extremely strong demand for quality homes right now.

bdmc5 wrote: »
    Well the way things are heading is there's 1000s of people returning to work weekly, there hundreds of thousands working from home or working normally unimpacted the last 6 months and economic activity in first 2 months of this quarter are up considerably than previous quarters.

Schools have gone back after the summer and the pubs are reopening with thousands more back in employment so it's understandable there's still extremely strong demand for quality homes right now.

Of course, people need a place to live. Credit could be the issue. And as i said a minute ago ECB need to get their act together and let credit flow.

Really hard to gauge. Vaccine no. It takes to long. ECb need to intervene in a big way. Hopefully they will.

Aren't we in the region of 1.7 trillion at the moment?

I can't remember the exact figures but I'm pretty sure it's around there.

Aren't we in the region of 1.7 trillion at the moment?

I can't remember the exact figures but I'm pretty sure it's around there.

God of the top my head i cant remember but when things get tough which they are credit is key. Money need to flow in a big way until things return to some kind of normality.

What way ? They did not start inflation engine since last recession the last couple years in EU was deflation.What they will make better this time when all they did since last recession did not not work and EU was in recession ( for example Germany was in technical ) before Covid ?

What way ? They did not start inflation engine since last recession the last couple years in EU was deflation.What they will make better this time when all they did since last recession did not not work and EU was in recession ( for example Germany was in technical ) before Covid ?

Well, i work there sometimes and its the only place that they gave 100 euro notes from the machine. There is no inflation across the board they way the measure inflation is incorrect imo if you look at how they do. A bit like GDP and GNP here. This time they have no option they have to realse credit in a very massive way and if they dont well who knows.

What way ? They did not start inflation engine since last recession

Although I personally think higher inflation might be good for some areas, I don't see why it would be entirely necessary to keep the economy moving along.

High inflation probably wouldn't be good for those awaiting the half price properties.

Although I personally think higher inflation might be good for some areas, I don't see why it would be entirely necessary to keep the economy moving along.

High inflation probably wouldn't be good for those awaiting the half price properties.

In bad times you flood the market with money keep jobs going keep the ship going until it passes then reduce it. Now we need major government action and it has to be like a iron mike tyson punch. Prices are to high but it will at least means they dont fall to bits.

You're preaching to the choir. Only time in my life I find myself willing collective governments to go spending like drunk sailors on shore leave.

Opposite,when people spend more for bread they has less for property
    Many of them wages will increasing slower then inflation will rising
    The bigger the inflation the bigger the poverty the smaller the property prices due wit small demand

• Advertisement

You're preaching to the choir. Only time in my life I find myself willing collective governments to go spending like drunk sailors on shore leave.

haha, me too jesus i believe in prudence but now is the time for major action and i dont give a sh.t who does it.

The bigger the inflation the bigger the poverty the smaller the property prices due wit small demand

If inflation rises, people with money are likely to move money from banks into property.

The purchasing power of your savings will reduce.

The purchasing power of your income will reduce.

The price of your bargain property in Drogheda is likely to go up, not down.

If inflation rises, people with money are likely to move money from banks into property.

Keep rates low increase lending no matter what it takes and face out this storm.

Keep rates low increase lending no matter what it takes and face out this storm.

I agree, accompanied with a very liberal sprinkling of government spending on capital projects, R & D incentives, startup funding, housing.....

From own experience and memory

House price in 2004 190 K
    Breakfast roll in shop on corner 2.40
    Today same house price 190 K
    The breakfast roll price on same corner 4.80
    Minimum wage 2004 6 euros per hour
    Minimum wage today 10 euros per hour

Not sure what you're responding to there NG or the point you're trying to make.

If significant increases in inflation appeared, you could see the sort of changes you've seen over the last 16 years happen over a much shorter period without the benefit of matching wage increases.

I agree, accompanied with a very liberal sprinkling of government spending on capital projects, R & D incentives, startup funding.....

Yes if you look at history in bad times when taxes fall gov borrow and drive the economy with exactly what you have said. People dont panic and life goes on. But if they dont and credit drys up we will be in trouble and that will mean prices will drop like a stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

the bigger the inflation the highest the prices, including houses

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭plibige

From own experience and memory

House price in 2004 190 K
    Breakfast roll in shop on corner 2.40
    Today same house price 190 K
    The breakfast roll price on same corner 4.80
    Minimum wage 2004 6 euros per hour
    Minimum wage today 10 euros per hour

Where's this 190k house, i'd love to buy it

• Advertisement

I agree, accompanied with a very liberal sprinkling of government spending on capital projects, R & D incentives, startup funding, housing.....

Enough build fast railway line with 300 km per hour from Dublin to Cork
    With some stops in darkest corners and villages
    And property prices in Dublin will fall by half
    Same as housing problem solved
    I dont will need buy house for 350K beside Dublin
    To be in Dublin city center in 40 min
    I will enough buy house for 100K on middle of the way between Dublin and Cork
    To be at work in Dublin city center per same 40 min
    Without paying insurances,motor taxes,pay tolls,etc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement