Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jack Charlton has died

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,778 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Our Jack's Dream

The dream started , by the sub Mackay
    A horrible wet dark Sofia Sky
    It started off an Irish dream
    The Boys we called - Jack's Team

12th of June 88
    A never forgotten Irish Date
    Ray's goal against England
    At last a victory - for our Homeland

"you'll never beat the Irish" at Old Landsdowne
    Your first steps off the Dart - what a sound
    With your father hugging you for the first time
    I can still feel it now - it never leaves your mind

We simply were unbeatable , confident and strong
    But a bit simplistic, we needed a song
    Along came Liam Harisson, Larry and Moore
    Songs to be proud of - as good as the Cure

Then Italia 1990 - we traveled afar
    A country of real love, life - but not a real bar
    What a time , if you were at home
    You probably heard about it, on the phone

We will never forget that Genoa shoot out
    We knew Packie would save one - never a doubt
    The tears flowed from a repressed place
    Then off to Rome - back to that space

But the genie was out - Ireland was free
    It is ok to dream - be what you can see
    Stunning Paul McGrath - beautiful girlfriends and wives
    Think big , be ambitious - live a great life

Jack was loving, funny, casual and fun
    In touch with real people - great one on one
    English to the core - but a northern heart inside
    He loved the Irish - he showed us real pride

So farewell Jack - but you are not gone
    You are in us all , our Father , brother, son
    Today , we are celebrating looking at the sky
    We will never forget you till the day we die

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Anyone who just calls football players pansies or fairies hasn’t a clue. It’s a lazy stereotype and just steeped in ignorance... especially if you state that you haven’t watched a game since 1990. Btw they hit the deck because it gets them free kicks, not because they’re soft.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭TheDenialTwist

khalessi wrote: »
    This is sad news, remember the craic driving around Stephens Green after he led Ireland to a win against England. Pure gentleman.

He deserves a statue

Yes, he has a statue, in Cork Airport

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

So you would not even make an effort for your Son. His team just won the league - but he opens up to you , about something he know you can relate to.

He also knows you hate what he loves.

Dad of the year.

I don’t think his son’s a scouser.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,290 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Thought Brian Kerr was fairly begrudging just now on Newstalk - did anyone else hear it

He said Charlton and Maurice setters had ZERO interest in the domestic game which he found depressing.

Said charlton imposed a dour style on Ireland but in fairness, JC achieved qualification where other managers in the past like Giles didn’t.

He said it says it all that jack couldn’t find a role for Liam Brady in his team.

Also, he told some story about Jack unceremoniously taking over a team talk at half time during an u-21 match which led to the manager resigning. Got the feeling he saw it as rude and unnecessary.

And another story where jack mixed up Northern Ireland and the republic

Overall I’d say Kerr is not Jacks biggest fan. Which is a pity as I admire both.

• Advertisement

Yes, he has a statue, in Cork Airport

I'm racking my brain for an obvious answer to this but not coming up with anything -- why Cork? Not aware of any link to him there, AFAIK he only lived in Mayo and Dublin.

I'm racking my brain for an obvious answer to this but not coming up with anything -- why Cork? Not aware of any link to him there, AFAIK he only lived in Mayo and Dublin.

He fished rivers in cork over the years

• Registered Users Posts: 24,827 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Thought Brian Kerr was fairly begrudging just now on Newstalk - did anyone else hear it

He said Charlton and Maurice setters had ZERO interest in the domestic game which he found depressing.

Said charlton imposed a dour style on Ireland but in fairness, JC achieved qualification where other managers in the past like Giles didn’t.

He said it says it all that jack couldn’t find a role for Liam Brady in his team.

Also, he told some story about Jack unceremoniously taking over a team talk at half time during an u-21 match which led to the manager resigning. Got the feeling he saw it as rude and unnecessary.

And another story where jack mixed up Northern Ireland and the republic

Overall I’d say Kerr is not Jacks biggest fan. Which is a pity as I admire both.

Jacks job was to bring success to the irish team... he brought together the best talent to enable that.... 80-90% of his squads were playing top division football... all were professional footballers... the League of Ireland were 100% amateur players... with day jobs... if they were good enough they played... they were not so they didnt.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Strumms wrote: »
    Jacks job was to bring success to the irish team... he brought together the best talent to enable that.... 80-90% of his squads were playing top division football... all were professional footballers... the League of Ireland were 100% amateur players... with day jobs... if they were good enough they played... they were not so they didnt.

Exactly, the likes of kerr, dunphy and the others who slated jack, did so to make themselves seem more important as if they were jealous of what Jack achieved.

Exactly, the likes of kerr, dunphy and the others who slated jack, did so to make themselves seem more important as if they were jealous of what Jack achieved.

Kerr was always a LOI guy... he should never have been allowed near an rte mic to offer an opinion on a sport at a level far and away from where he had any involvment, he should neither have been allowed near the Irish International team to manage them..

Akin to allowing some auld lad whod driven a milk float for 30 years being asked to pilot a 747 to Mexico.

Kerr.. nice fella, means well. Should have known his limits though.. so should the FAI.

• Advertisement

Why not Cork? It's been there since 1994 so I'm not really sure why are you only wracking your brain now. It's our tribute to this great legend and how much ordinary people here in Cork appreciated him.

He frequently fished in Cork, as he did in many Counties in Ireland. Hence, the statue of the late great Jack with salmon in his hands next to pond in Cork Airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,540 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Why not Cork? It's been there since 1994 so I'm not really sure why are you only wracking your brain now. It's our tribute to this great legend and how much ordinary people here in Cork appreciated him.

He frequently fished in Cork, as he did in many Counties in Ireland. Hence, the statue of the late great Jack with salmon in his hands next to pond in Cork Airport.

I read all of that in a strong, angry, cork accent.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

The FAI's online book of condolence for Jack Charlton is not live at the moment. The address for it has crashed.

https://www.fai.ie/ireland/jack-charlton-rip

They are doing a nice gesture by giving the online condolences for Jack to his family once it finishes on the 27th of July.

Has anyone made an online condolence on it yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,043 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

He sure was one lucky manager compared with poor Eoin Hand before him who was cursed!
    Scotland got us to Euro '88 and we needed Spain to beat Denmark to get to USA '94. No one did us any favours before Jack came along.
    He should have called it a day after USA '94 but he was enjoying the adulation too much and having to never buy a pint might have had something to do with it.
    He had lost interest for the Euro '96 campaign and even allowed the players to go on the lash before a match v Austria in Dublin as he went fishing!
    We lost home and away to Austria (who finished 4th behind N.I. IN 3rd) and managed a 0-0 draw with Lietchenstein and eventually missed out qualifying.
    Its tragic we missed out as Ireland playing in the Euros in England would have been special but Mr Charlton couldn't have been arsed at that stage and had lost interest.

I read all of that in a strong, angry, cork accent.

Sorry to disappoint but I don't have a Cork accent and I'm not angry at all :)

No offence intended, I'd have wondered the same thing if it'd had been erected in Limerick or Galway. It seems like a tenuous link, but no doubt a positive reflection on the stature of the man in Irish life -- he even got cast in bronze before Collins did.

No offence intended, I'd have wondered the same thing if it'd had been erected in Limerick or Galway. It seems like a tenuous link, but no doubt a positive reflection on the stature of the man in Irish life -- he even got cast in bronze before Collins did.

No offence taken whatsoever. I guess I just wondered why you were seeking a 'link' as to why there would be a Statue of Jack in Cork. A Statue that has been there for what seems like forever (1994). Jack was Manager of ROI not manager of Dublin. I guess Cork just got there first :)

Kerr was always a LOI guy... he should never have been allowed near an rte mic to offer an opinion on a sport at a level far and away from where he had any involvment, he should neither have been allowed near the Irish International team to manage them..

Akin to allowing some auld lad whod driven a milk float for 30 years being asked to pilot a 747 to Mexico.

Kerr.. nice fella, means well. Should have known his limits though.. so should the FAI.

As a Kerr fan (and jack fan) that is unfair

Do you realise how successful Kerr was around 97-98 with the youth team - look it up you might be surprised. Kerr is highly qualified in terms of professional coaching too.

He also did a decent job as manager of Ireland seniors - MUCH better than Staunton for example and also I would have preferred him to Trap.

Your view, with respect, is downright ignorant

He sure was one lucky manager compared with poor Eoin Hand before him who was cursed!
    Scotland got us to Euro '88 and we needed Spain to beat Denmark to get to USA '94. No one did us any favours before Jack came along.
    He should have called it a day after USA '94 but he was enjoying the adulation too much and having to never buy a pint might have had something to do with it.
    He had lost interest for the Euro '96 campaign and even allowed the players to go on the lash before a match v Austria in Dublin as he went fishing!
    We lost home and away to Austria (who finished 4th behind N.I. IN 3rd) and managed a 0-0 draw with Lietchenstein and eventually missed out qualifying.
    Its tragic we missed out as Ireland playing in the Euros in England would have been special but Mr Charlton couldn't have been arsed at that stage and had lost interest.

Agree. He should’ve been sent on his way with a handshake after USA 94. Have a nice tribute night for him and say thank you Jack well done.

With Hindsight We should’ve got in a new manager at that stage for the Euro 96 campaign.

It’s a pity we as next door neighrbours didn’t make that tournament and as you say it was do-able but charlton wasn’t as motivated after 94.

A certain rot had set in, for example case in point the Harry Ramsdens affair and a “fcuk it, it’ll do” approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,699 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

bpanews_f48dac8e-022a-42fb-8c7d-90e6c2faa5f1_embedded21272792

DeadAssuredAmericanmarten-max-1mb.gif

Jack was a one off. His passion was key, I don't even know who the manager is these days.

• Advertisement

As a Kerr fan (and jack fan) that is unfair

Do you realise how successful Kerr was around 97-98 with the youth team - look it up you might be surprised. Kerr is highly qualified in terms of professional coaching too.

He also did a decent job as manager of Ireland seniors - MUCH better than Staunton for example and also I would have preferred him to Trap.

Your view, with respect, is downright ignorant
    Kerr was a talented underage coach, correct. That’s all, his abilities didnt translate into the upper echelons of the sport.
    Practically every Ireland manager did better than Steve Staunton whose teams dropped points or failed to win in 11 games out of the 17 he managed Ireland, winning only 6... if that’s a standard we are aspiring to, fûck. A win ratio of about 35%. 15% worse than big Jack.

Jacks win ratio was 50%

Played 94

Winning 47

Drew 30

Lost 17

Goals for 128 against 63

Those are facts, not ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,974 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Kerr's Ireland record.

Brian Kerr

Played - 33

Won - 18 (55%)

Drew - 11 (33%)

Lost - 4 (12%)

Goals For - 39

Goals Against - 20

Not much between them.

Jack gave football in Ireland a massive boost it needed since the decline of the League of Ireland, and the rise of Irish people primarily supporting English teams through televised games.

His teams inspired a generation of players. Robbie Keane would have been 8 for Euro 88 and 10 for Italy 90.

By all accounts, a very nice man to anyone who ever met him outside of football.

What’s between them is Jack took us to three out of four major championships and that included a World Cup quarter final. Kerr, took us nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Know his limits ffs? Kerr brought great success to Ireland, he is the only irish manager to win anything, a double of underage European championships.

🙈🙉🙊

Know his limits ffs? Kerr brought great success to Ireland, he is the only irish manager to win anything, a double of underage European championships.

Kerr is deserving of plaudits for those achievements but he achieved zero in the senior game, either in club or international management. Jack on the other hand as pointed out to you, did.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Brian Kerr is a national treasure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,498 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Kerr is deserving of plaudits for those achievements but he achieved zero in the senior game, either in club or international management. Jack on the other hand as pointed out to you, did.

He wasn't given much of a chance in fairness, as far as remember he was given the arse end of the of the qualification campaign after mick McCarthy left.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

What’s between them is Jack took us to three out of four major championships and that included a World Cup quarter final. Kerr, took us nowhere.

Kerr got 2 and a half years fair enough, but if mackay didn't score that goal Jack might have been down the road too. A lucky general at the start but I'm glad we persevered with him

Brian didn’t get us qualified for any tournaments unfortunately. That’s his failure, and the teams sadly.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Maybe the FAI hired him cos he came cheap. ?

The FAI Big wigs had no problem paying themselves vast sums though

Advertisement