Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scrabble to ban the word "culchie" in America.

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

I'm a dub and proud of it, you can call me anything you want in regards to being from dublin and because I'm proud of being a dub it just makes me prouder. So in the same breath if I was from the country I'd be proud to be called a culchie. Now im sure there a country folk that the word culchie is a word and has no relevance to them whatsoever in their daily lives. What I can't understand is the whiny moany people constantly have nothing in their lives only to bitch about the word culchie. I'd imagine their are normal country folk are disgusted at the whimpish attitude of some of their own. So for the wimpy pathetic moaning culchie who's an embarrassment to real culchies I say change your logo to gimp culchies lives matter. GCl matter

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

Kylta wrote: »
    I'm a dub and proud of it, you can call me anything you want in regards to being from dublin and because I'm proud of being a dub it just makes me prouder. So in the same breath if I was from the country I'd be proud to be called a culchie. Now im sure there a country folk that the word culchie is a word and has no relevance to them whatsoever in their daily lives. What I can't understand is the whiny moany people constantly have nothing in their lives only to bitch about the word culchie. I'd imagine their are normal country folk are disgusted at the whimpish attitude of some of their own. So for the wimpy pathetic moaning culchie who's an embarrassment to real culchies I say change your logo to gimp culchies lives matter. GCl matter

never understood taking so much pride in something you had nothing to do with though, its not an achievement.

So many howiyas take so many pride in the random place the council decided to house their family, - its bizarre.

I think most irish people who are not from Dublin like where they are from, in a sporting arena where their home town or home county wins i am sure they take pride in that, but just being proud of being inside an arbitrary line on a map is a bit bizarre.

gourcuff wrote: »
    never understood taking so much pride in something you had nothing to do with though, its not an achievement.

So many howiyas take so many pride in the random place the council decided to house their family, - its bizarre.

I think most irish people who are not from Dublin like where they are from, in a sporting arena where their home town or home county wins i am sure they take pride in that, but just being proud of being inside an arbitrary line on a map is a bit bizarre.

Maybe you need to be a dub to understand being a dub. Are you not proud of where your from? Is there a football club or gaa club your proud off that represents who you are and where your from that makes you proud. Now to tell the truth the making the culchie saying like a racist saying is a load of bollix. Again as all you country folk are like politicians (when it comes to answering questions) im still waiting on one of my country cousins, to tell when was the last time they were actually called a culchie to your face, not on line?

Maybe you need to be a dub to understand being a dub. Are you not proud of where your from? Is there a football club or gaa club your proud off that represents who you are and where your from that makes you proud. Now to tell theme truth the making the culchie saying like a racist saying is a load of bollix. Again as all you country folk are like politicians (when it comes to answering questions) im still waiting on one of my country cousins, to tell when was the last time they were actually called a culchie to your face, not on line?

Like i said its not an achievement. Maybe a new yorker might take pride in how their city responded after 9/11, but just over the bridge and you are from new jersey. So its bizarre to take so much pride in something so arbitrary.

And most globally important cities are such a melting pot of people its not like the city is a perfect illustration of the qualities of the natives in any event.
    The natives are usually so diluted the success of the place is precisely because its ability to attract migrants from other parts of the country or the world.

The language in your post is very trumpian, " all you country folk are like". How can you box 3.5 million people into the exact same behaviours and mannerisms? Its incredibly narrow minded.

I don't think Irish people all over the world particularly care what people call them, terms like this are in the main used by the uneducated, untraveled narrow minded types with a chip on their shoulder. It would never be used in a professional setting, probably because in a lot of cases the boss is a non dub.

• Administrators Posts: 53,391 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

A “subset” of Culchies, Q.

dubliners-map-of-ireland-hi.png

This should help anyone still unsure of whether they are a Culchie, or not. Close enough, anyway.

I've never been called a "northie". Should be nordie surely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

awec wrote: »
    I've never been called a "northie". Should be nordie surely?

Yes, the map makes it sound very proper. “Nordie” would be how I’d spell it too. And, to be honest, I’d include the Donegal folk in there. You’d hardly call them “Culchies”, like.

Again, I don’t see anything “negative” in Nordie, just as I wouldn’t in Culchie. They’re just, general, descriptive terms.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Fun Fact: Comes from the lads in their Geansaís studying Agricultural Science in UCD.
    No one from Dublin was doing the course and so they were the culchies

• Registered Users Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

TheW1zard wrote: »
    Fun Fact: Comes from the lads in their Geansaís studying Agricultural Science in UCD.

Were they the ones chewing the turf? I heard it came from the “sound” of chewing big lumps of wet turf.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Were they the ones chewing the turf? I heard it came from the “sound” of chewing big lumps of wet turf.

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28 mikecope

TheW1zard wrote: »

Fun fake fact, I'd say.

• Advertisement

Like i said its not an achievement. Maybe a new yorker might take pride in how their city responded after 9/11, but just over the bridge and you are from new jersey. So its bizarre to take so much pride in something so arbitrary.

And most globally important cities are such a melting pot of people its not like the city is a perfect illustration of the qualities of the natives in any event.
    The natives are usually so diluted the success of the place is precisely because its ability to attract migrants from other parts of the country or the world.

The language in your post is very trumpian, " all you country folk are like". How can you box 3.5 million people into the exact same behaviours and mannerisms? Its incredibly narrow minded.

I don't think Irish people all over the world particularly care what people call them, terms like this are in the main used by the uneducated, untraveled narrow minded types with a chip on their shoulder. It would never be used in a professional setting, probably because in a lot of cases the boss is a non dub.

So basically what your trying to say is your a culchie with a chip on his shoulder. And from reading that post I'd say your one of the whiny ones who probably always secretly wanted be a dub. Now I see were you frustration comes from. I suppose your high up the echelons of gimp culchie lives matter.

So basically what your trying to say is your a culchie with a chip on his shoulder. And from reading that post I'd say your one of the whiny ones who probably always secretly wanted be a dub. Now I see were you frustration comes from. I suppose your high up the echelons of gimp culchie lives matter.

yes you're right, everyone in the world wants to be a howiya :)

from reading my post accusing you of having a chip on your shoulder - you now think i have one.. genius :)

yes you're right, everyone in the world wants to be a howiya :)

from reading my post accusing you of having a chip on your shoulder - you now think i have one.. genius :)

Its ok relax, I might be able to make you an honorary dub. But you will have to give up the vice presidency of the C/G/L matter club
    Oh and you will have stop your whiny ways because even your fellow culchies don't like small minded little cry babies. So if you can manage to be a man for abit, I might make at least make you a dub for a day. Think of it when one of your own calls you a jackeen well you might even get a little stiffy out of it.

a guy who starts sentences with "all you country folk are like" accuses someone else of being small minded - hilarious...

you must have been king of the debate team in the local howiya deis school.. :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,058 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Cut out the back and forth pettiness.

Advertisement