Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scrabble to ban the word "culchie" in America.

Options
  • 10-07-2020 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭

As the title says apparantly scrabble will ban culchie and other terms deemed offensive. How would yanks (maybe yank is now offensive sorry mods) know the word culchie or does it mean something different over there?
    #culchielivesmatter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

But Jackeen is still allowed

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Mucksavage is far better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

What about mucker and mucksavage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Bogwarrior?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭Allinall

As the title says apparantly scrabble will ban culchie and other terms deemed offensive. How would yanks (maybe yank is now offensive sorry mods) know the word culchie or does it mean something different over there?
    #culchielivesmatter

They're wooden planks, OP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

I'm a culchie and it doesn't bother me, I'm just glad I'm not a bogger.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Snowflake is on the list too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,024 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Collins Dictionary says it is derived from an incorrect pronunciation of the Mayo town Kiltimagh, when in fact it is derived from the Irish word 'coillte' meaning woods.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,921 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Here's the list of the words they're looking to ban from Scrabble competition. https://scrabbleplayers.org/w/Slurs

When I first read the list, I thought it was all in Welsh, but it turns out that bizarrely, they've written them all backwards so that innocent people won't accidentally read them! I guess that won't stop Scrabble nerds, though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Sorry about that

Only culchies can call other culchies culchies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Blueshirt?
    Taig?
    Lundy?
    Westbrit?
    FFer?
    Shinner/Shinnerbot?

Hopefully the above are still allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,406 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

#culchielivesmatter
    Words with friends doesn't allow fag,jap and various other'offensive' words

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

biko wrote: »
    But Jackeen is still allowed

If you're playing devil's advocate you could point out that one is true, the other isn't.

The etymology of a culchie is of people who live in the forest. 'Culchies' have never lived in trees. It's a slight implying they are uncultured or neatherthal. That's the origin.

'Jackeens' are Irish people, in the Dublin region, loyal to the crown. 'Little Jacks'. This term came from the fact that up until 100 years ago, the majority, the vast majority even, of the region was loyal to the crown.

It is not true that people from rural Ireland lived in the trees. It is true that people from the Dublin area were loyal to the crown.

EDIT: Before people crucify me, it's not a partisan view. Born in the Rotunda, typing this in Drumcondra.

Culchie isnt a proper word,same as hollibops

Its outrage for sake of outrage,complaining about a boardgame based on spelling,banning a word that shouldnt exist

I assume they dont allow txt speak words either?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,921 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

The etymology of a culchie is of people who live in the forest.

What you're repeatdely stating as fact doesn't seem to have that much authorative evidence behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

If you're playing devil's advocate you could point out that one is true, the other isn't.

The etymology of a culchie is of people who live in the forest. 'Culchies' have never lived in trees. It's a slight implying they are uncultured or neatherthal. That's the origin.

'Jackeens' are Irish people, in the Dublin region, loyal to the crown. 'Little Jacks'. This term came from the fact that up until 100 years ago, the majority, the vast majority even, of the region was loyal to the crown.

It is not true that people from rural Ireland lived in the trees. It is true that people from the Dublin area were loyal to the crown.

EDIT: Before people crucify me, it's not a partisan view. Born in the Rotunda, typing this in Drumcondra.

It’s like how the people of Cork seem to think the place is called the Rebel county because they stood up to the British during the war of independence. It isn’t.

It’s for their support of the House of York during the English civil war.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Metric Tensor

Here's the list of the words they're looking to ban from Scrabble competition. https://scrabbleplayers.org/w/Slurs

When I first read the list, I thought it was all in Welsh, but it turns out that bizarrely, they've written them all backwards so that innocent people won't accidentally read them! I guess that won't stop Scrabble nerds, though.

You have to play a game of countdown to figure out the words that are not allowed in scrabble!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,185 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Culchie isnt a proper word,same as hollibops

Its outrage for sake of outrage,complaining about a boardgame based on spelling,banning a word that shouldnt exist

I assume they dont allow txt speak words either?

But they are actual words, that are in the dictionary, that have been allowed , up till now.

About 430 of them, now blacklisted...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

I hear they're also trying to ban the term blowjob from their list.

https://www.npr.org/sections/live-updates-protests-for-racial-justice/2020/07/08/889246690/scrabble-association-bans-racial-ethnic-slurs-from-its-official-word-list?t=1594390717578

I fear that the lunatics are taking over the asylum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

So what's going to happen if somehow by a miracle I have ULCHIE which I can add to a C? Are the cops going to crash through the front door with an arrest warrant?

You can't ban any word made up of individual letters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

What you're repeatdely stating as fact doesn't seem to have that much authorative evidence behind it.

A quick google highlights endless sources.

Have you another source of the term?

I would also question who is the authority of etymology of recent Irish colloquialisms?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Not all the people fromdublin were loyal to the crown. Are you in the bishops palace in drumcondra. Since your looking to be crucified

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

But they are actual words, that are in the dictionary, that have been allowed , up till now.

About 430 of them, now blacklisted...

A lot of the reporting on this has been a bit crap, like most reporting these days.

Most of the words in question were removed from the official Scrabble dictionary almost 30 years ago

There was an argument at the time that playing a word in a Scrabble game is divorced from it's meaning, and censoring legitimate words shouldn't be the job of the Scrabble community.

So as a compromise the "offending" words were removed from the official Scrabble dictionary but listed in an addendum still allowed in tournament play. That's the bit that's changing now - they'll no longer be allowed in tournaments.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

Is gizzablowie still there?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,234 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Is ‘woolyback’ still ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

So what's going to happen if somehow by a miracle I have ULCHIE which I can add to a C? Are the cops going to crash through the front door with an arrest warrant?

You can't ban any word made up of individual letters.

It looks like they're going to be banned from Scrabble competitions. I don't think a boardgame has the power to ban words.
    I was playing last night with wife and daughter. There was a un open for adding to. I had a c and a t but I didn't have the heart to do it...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

joe40 wrote: »
    It looks like they're going to be banned from Scrabble competitions. I don't think a boardgame has the power to ban words.
    I was playing last night with wife and daughter. There was a un open for adding to. I had a c and a t but I didn't have the heart to do it...

Why not? Tunc is a perfectly cromulent word. In Latin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

joe40

I just played that very word online - 8 points. Not to be sneezed at!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

MOH wrote: »
    Why not? Tunc is a perfectly cromulent word. In Latin

Now you tell me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Is that right? I thought it was onomatopoeia, as in it was thought to be similar to the “squelching” sound of when the country folk chewed on turf.

The tide is turning…

Advertisement