Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much money do you have left over at bills are paid

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    I'm not saying what his job is, but stop pretending you know what his job is, because you don't.

Will you hurry up and decide what his job is going to be so we can guess it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Will you hurry up and decide what his job is going to be so we can guess it.

It's the other guy who keeps trying to talk about it.

He's trying to assume both the role and salary and has mentioned a few times I'm lying, even though he's the one making up the role and salary.

I have no interest in talking about it. I'm not sure how many times I need to tell him.

It's the other guy who keeps trying to talk about it.

He's trying to assume both the role and salary and has mentioned a few times I'm lying, even though he's the one making up the role and salary.

I have no interest in talking about it. I'm not sure how many times I need to tell him.

So about 75k

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

I'm not saying what his job is, but stop pretending you know what his job is, because you don't.

He's not a GP. He's not a consultant. There's no consultant in Ireland in their 20s.

So he's an NCHD, either an SPR, reg, sho or intern. If he's making 120k he's a reg or more likely spr. Spr salary scale starts in the 60k region so for him to make 120k he's hitting unbelievable amounts of overtime.

Everyone not a consultant in a public hospital is on the same published salary scale.

A first year surgical reg in the Mater is on the same salary as a first year paeds reg in Sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,053 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

lickalot wrote: »
    .I live in a four bedroom house and done it up to a high spec and a lovely big garden. Its also a 2 story bungalow.

Maybe I have lived a sheltered life, but what pray tell is a two "story" bungalow?:confused:

• Advertisement

He's not a GP. He's not a consultant. There's no consultant in Ireland in their 20s.

So he's an NCHD, either an SPR, reg, sho or intern. If he's making 120k he's a reg or more likely spr. Spr salary scale starts in the 60k region so for him to make 120k he's hitting unbelievable amounts of overtime.

Everyone not a consultant in a public hospital is on the same published salary scale.

A first year surgical reg in the Mater is on the same salary as a first year paeds reg in Sligo.

Jesus Christ man stop pretending you know what his job is.

Not everyone with a medical degree works in a public hospital.

This is my last response to you on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

Jesus Christ man stop pretending you know what his job is.

Not everyone with a medical degree works in a public hospital.

This is my last response to you on this.

You've been talking complete ****e. Water Mitty stuff.

You've been talking complete ****e. Water Mitty stuff.

Stop being pathetic.

You're not a failure just because someone else is earning more money than you.

lickalot wrote: »
    I'm single and after my bills are paid i have 2300(Excluding electric, fuel, food) left over to do whatever I please with for the month.

Why are you excluding some of the main bills people have from your bill deduction?

I have 2300 left over after bills, though thats before I pay most of my bills.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭HBC08

You can try to pretend all you want but you've already stated your finances and you're not doing very well.

The issue, I guess, is you've surrounded yourself with people who are doing badly, so by comparison you think you're doing well. But when you compare yourself with the rest of society you're just doing "OK". You are lower middle class.

I'm glad you're happy though.

Sounds like he's doing ok to me.
    I'm in the West of Ireland and 45k a year buys you a very nice life.
    But hey,you have to get a dig in and call him lower middle class.

Irish people who try to ape the British class system are pathetic.

• Advertisement

HBC08 wrote: »
    Sounds like he's doing ok to me.
    I'm in the West of Ireland and 45k a year buys you a very nice life.
    But hey,you have to get a dig in and call him lower middle class.

Irish people who try to ape the British class system are pathetic.

He's definitely doing OK, but it's bizarre he's bragging about doing OK.

Why are you trying to bring the brits into this? When you hear someone is from a working class area like Jobstown do you start thinking of English people? Why?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

This is it wrote: »
    Hasn't opened a book in their life? The ignorance.

What's the offence taken here? It's a figurative expression. Obviously those trades can be as clever as anyone, didn't mean it directly.

It's to say that in general terms tradesmen didn't bother with the whole college faff and ended up better off in some cases "without ever opening a book". That's not to say that they don't or haven't studied in their spare time.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,189 ✭✭✭This is it

CBear1993 wrote: »
    What's the offence taken here? It's a figurative expression. Obviously those trades can be as clever as anyone, didn't mean it directly.

It's to say that in general terms tradesmen didn't bother with the whole college faff and ended up better off in some cases "without ever opening a book". That's not to say that they don't or haven't studied in their spare time.

Do you know how one becomes an electrician or plumber?

Qualifying in a trade "without ever opening a book" isn't possible.

Do you know how one becomes an electrician or plumber?

Qualifying in a trade "without ever opening a book" isn't possible.

Yep, loads of friends who are sparks or were.

I think the expression still stands. A lot of it is practical/hands on in the technical colleges versus the academic route through college. There's obviously tests and examinations to pass.

I think the expression still stands. A lot of it is practical/hands on in the technical colleges versus the academic route through college. There's obviously tests and examinations to pass.

I doubt you can tie your laces, but carry on, plumbers just have plungers and are always running, everybody passes their 4 years, it's easy you just turn up and unblock toilets, and electricians just unblock electric things.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,809 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

I doubt you can tie your laces, but carry on, plumbers just have plungers and are always running, everybody passes their 4 years, it's easy you just turn up and unblock toilets, and electricians just unblock electric things.

no they dont, they make lightning ffs, its obvious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Jeez I ****ing hate these threads but I'll go ahead anyway.

3500 after tax and bills paid renting in Dublin city. Pandemic aside travel a lot yeah but, I'm not in a great mindset (traumatic upbringing) and I am single and unfulfilled. I think the mindset probably is the cause of that as it gives off a negative vibe. I don't really enjoy the job either. I'm good at it but it's a means to an end.

Thinking of doing something else even if it's a massive wage decrease. Need to find what I love. So you could earn decent money but its worth **** all in the scheme of things if you have no one to spend it on.

You haven't a clue, which was obvious before this post, but more so now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,130 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Some begrudgersin in this thread. Op is doing decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mr Meanor

I remember a friend of mine was showing his brother in law his pay slip and said,

He couldn't believe his amount of gross pay
    But he could believe his net!

when I see at some of the high figures thrown around, usually by single people I always think of this.

• Advertisement

You haven't a clue, which was obvious before this post, but more so now.

So you're saying that electricians/plumbers would study more than typical university degrees?

That's essentially what you're implying.

My expression was a figure of speech, which is taken lightly by 90% of people, but of course the donegal man had to go and dig deeper and prove he's right. Chip on their shoulder and all that, the donnies :)

So you're saying that electricians/plumbers would study more than typical university degrees?

That's essentially what you're implying.

My expression was a figure of speech, which is taken lightly by 90% of people, but of course the donegal man had to go and dig deeper and prove he's right. Chip on their shoulder and all that, the donnies :)

No, I'm not saying electricians/plumbers would study more than typical university degrees.

I'm not implying anything.

I'm not from nor do I live in Donegal.

Dig up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,942 ✭✭✭pgj2015

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Jeez I ****ing hate these threads but I'll go ahead anyway.

3500 after tax and bills paid renting in Dublin city. Pandemic aside travel a lot yeah but, I'm not in a great mindset (traumatic upbringing) and I am single and unfulfilled. I think the mindset probably is the cause of that as it gives off a negative vibe. I don't really enjoy the job either. I'm good at it but it's a means to an end.

Thinking of doing something else even if it's a massive wage decrease. Need to find what I love. So you could earn decent money but its worth **** all in the scheme of things if you have no one to spend it on.

I was reading your post and listening to this video at the same time coincidentally.

skip to 8:20

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I'm ancient, broke, and sometimes I can afford a twix as a payday treat. I'd to put my personality into hock to pay my health insurance last month. (TBH was ****e anyway, I'm doing fine without it.)

There's a line of men around the block queuing for attention, I keep telling them to bugger off because I'm not going near them while COVID-19 is rampant.

It's a fierce hard life.

I would but those roles don't exist for someone my age and experience in Ireland ha! That's why they're literally throwing money at you to go across Europe. Also have sydney, dubai, west coast USA positions but they won't pay the accommodation out there, you're left to your own devices.

I meant in the context of " but it doesn't guarantee any happiness, in fact there'd be more stress and risk." :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Talking net makes a big difference alright.

I was reading a thread here before where two people compared their gross and net.

1st guy gross was €50,000. His net weekly was €700
    2nd guy gross was €35,000. His net weekly was €560

Then someone else posted to rub it in and said they were on the dole all their life and their were getting over €500pw including their dole and rent allowance.

PAYE folk on a decent wedge really can only lash as much into the pension to mitigate the gross/net thing but the tax relief at 40% isn't wonderful either to be fair.

Lots of self employed folk gone the EV route now, that does take the sting out of the cost of motoring for some nowadays.

Advertisement