Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much money do you have left over at bills are paid

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Does OPs maths even work out?

45k/year = 3750/month gross. Net what? 2500-2700? Subtract 540 for mortgage, left with ~2000

Right, other bills per month. Phone 20, electricity; 30; car insurance 100; water/heating costs Let's say 200 and that's low end.

You probably need a tank of fuel every week or two, so maybe 100 a month.

Without food maybe 1700 a month and probably a lot less.

Also no annual/one off costs like Motor tax, NCT, annual insurance contributions.

This doesn't include food which could be 200 a month including eating out maybe once or twice. No alcohol budget here. No savings, no other loan repayments.

I'm not saying that OP is lying but the thread title and what is in the first post are not the same. Money left after taxes and mortage is not the same as disposable income.

Reality is quite different than where OP is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭Homelander

I love how boards brings out a mystical, fantasy Ireland where if you're not earning 100K+ you've completely failed at life.

Reminds me of the recent thread on earnings where someone claimed "most people" in Dublin earn 80K+ and you would struggle with less.

The OP said he earns 45K outside of Dublin. Doesn't matter if you're on the dole or a billionaire, that's still good money relatively speaking. Why people try dress it down and paint him as a street urchin is beyond me.

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    I know a few. Many of my colleagues, a few family members, me.

It's not abnormal.

But my point was if you're going to come to boards with the purpose of bragging about your income, you should have something to brag about rather than being lower middle class.

Maybe the OP is proud about his financial situation because for him it's a lot of money. Who are you to say otherwise.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Horrible working environment I'm told, usual American corporation bollocks

Most American corporations Irish sites are grand, Intel is meant to be awful but it's not at all the usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thomasdylan

People you disagree with are knobs?

Are you sure you're not the knob?

IT, management, medical, engineering, banking.

There wouldn't be many doctors on 95k in their 20s. And none whose basic is 95k. Doctors are usually still on training schemes in their 20s and the only way to bring salary above 95k would be doing 30 or 40 hours overtime every week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,809 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Augeo wrote: »
    Most American corporations Irish sites are grand, Intel is meant to be awful but it's not at all the usual.

i worked for one, dreadful environment, induces mental health issues in many

• Registered Users Posts: 12,201 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

lickalot wrote: »
    Its also a 2 story bungalow.

What the buck is a 2 storey bungalow?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Enough to lay in the corner in the foetal position while **** and crying.

Usually with an empty whiskey bottle

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

DrPhilG wrote: »
    What the buck is a 2 storey bungalow?

a house

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Adam9213

3 euro and 67 cents to be exact, we're gonna start cutting back on breaking at my house so we have a bit more cash to spend.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

Microsoft/google/Facebook?

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Microsoft/google/Facebook?

ah no, another well known one, aint saying, might reveal my identity

I've worked in about 10, all grand.

Augeo wrote: »
    I've worked in about 10, all grand.

you may have the right type of mind for the environment, you probably have a good level of education, spare a thought for those that dont

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

IT, management, medical, engineering, banking.

Would be very confident that people in their 20s aren’t earning €95K in the above, and if they are then fair f*cks to them. But they would be in the 1% bracket?

Sure a plumber or electrician with his head screwed on could be on €120K before thirty and he hasn’t opened a book in his life unlike the people working in the sector above.

Those people you are speculating about making that money in the above sectors are either doing massive overtime or in an extreme niche in that they have a very unique employer or skill set.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,437 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

No idea.
    We own our house and are looking to move to a bigger one in Q4'20-Q1'21. We have a 50k car and a 2.5k car. Both working from home in booming industries during covid.The incoming outweigh the outgoings including savings and shares purchases and pension.

I'm super thankful for my lot at this time, there's lots earning more than me/us but we are comfortable and thankful to be so, where nearly 1 million people are dependent on state intervention for their sustenance.

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Would be very confident that people in their 20s aren’t earning €95K in the above, and if they are then fair f*cks to them. But they would be in the 1% bracket?

Sure a plumber or electrician with his head screwed on could be on €120K before thirty and he hasn’t opened a book in his life unlike the people working in the sector above.

Those people you are speculating about making that money in the above sectors are either doing massive overtime or in an extreme niche in that they have a very unique employer or skill set.
    Starting off in those sectors you're not going to be on 95k in your twenties.
    To hit those figures before mid 30s in those fields you'd need to move jobs a few times to refresh the wages and move quickly up the ladder.
    There's a glass ceiling at around 80k pa in my company, it's very difficult to get past that mark. I know for others the limit is 100 for instance.

Where I am now, I get more in shares and bonuses than salary.

ELM327 wrote: »
    To hit those figures before mid 30s in those fields you'd need to move jobs a few times to refresh the wages and move quickly up the ladder.
    There's a glass ceiling at around 80k pa in my company, it's very difficult to get past that mark. I know for others the limit is 100 for instance.

tis common enough alright, not always a good thing for society as a whole though, but happy days for you, id probably do the same if i was in the position

• Registered Users Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

What is more important earning good money but having no work life balance.
    Have a mate earns great money, works late most days and most w/ends. He is constantly stressed and can't really hold down a girlfriend as married to job and has no kids.
    Yes has lots of money, nice house/car but constantly stressed.
    I earn ok no where near him, have 2 little expenses (sorry lovely children :P) but get to play sport 4/5 times a week (very understanding wife). Don't work long hours or w/ends and wouldn't swap my life for his despite the much bigger salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

tis common enough alright, not always a good thing for society as a whole though, but happy days for you, id probably do the same if i was in the position

It's a great thing for society, it means that the worker can keep more of his income and wealth away from the tax man and the wasters on the dole.

• Advertisement

salonfire wrote: »
    It's a great thing for society, it means that the worker can keep more of his income and wealth away from the tax man and the wasters on the dole.

but the wealth from such activities trickles down!

salonfire wrote: »
    Unfortunately not.
    A couple of years ago I got a 50k bonus solely in stocks, but I only got 24k in stock. 26k was automatically sold to pay the taxes when the shares vested. The taxman always finds a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

I'm not talking about starting off. 20s goes from 20 - 29.

I don't agree with your glass ceiling comment.

Are you sure you're not limiting your world view to your own industry?

Are you aware how much doctors, bankers, contract programmers earn? I was earning 2k a week when I was 24 as a contract programmer.

There wouldn't be many doctors on 95k in their 20s. And none whose basic is 95k. Doctors are usually still on training schemes in their 20s and the only way to bring salary above 95k would be doing 30 or 40 hours overtime every week.

Not true at all.

Family member on 120k in his 20s in medicine.

Friend (banker) on about 250k in late 20s.

Tons of programmers make well over 100k a year contracting.

Ex-girlfriend's brother was making well over 100k as a civil engineer in his 20s (gas industry).

Loads of jobs are well paid. How else do you think all these people in their late 20s/early 30s are able to buy houses costing 600k+?

I'm not talking about starting off. 20s goes from 20 - 29.

I don't agree with your glass ceiling comment.

Are you sure you're not limiting your world view to your own industry?

Are you aware how much doctors, bankers, contract programmers earn? I was earning 2k a week when I was 24 as a contract programmer.

I was limiting my view to Irish industries as this is where we are and it's an irish board.
    Contract programmers - hardly a comparison as they arent even PAYE workers in the standard sense. I did payroll many moons ago for contracted self employed agents on 100% commission. Some chaps got 8k-10k in a week and then took the rest of the month off. But they have to pay expenses, provide for a sick pay etc.

You can agree or not agree with my glass ceiling comment. But it's my observed reality in a couple of companies I have directly worked in.

I was limiting my view to Irish industries as this is where we are and it's an irish board.

Are you pretending I'm talking about foreigners working in other countries...?

What do you mean contract programmers aren't a valid example?

At least you admit sales people can earn 8k - 10k per week. (I knew recruiters making this much too).

Are you pretending I'm talking about foreigners working in other countries...?

What do you mean contract programmers aren't a valid example?

At least you admit sales people can earn 8k - 10k per week. (I knew recruiters making this much too).
    Contracting is not a valid way of employment for most people. Families etc.
    If you are contracting you're self employed and have no safety net. No sick pay, no JSB/A entitlement etc.

I know of single folks that do this, as well as semi retired like architects, engineers and so on.

Contracting is not a valid way of employment for most people. Families etc.
    If you are contracting you're self employed and have no safety net. No sick pay, no JSB/A entitlement etc.

I know of single folks that do this, as well as semi retired like architects, engineers and so on.

Contracting is a completely valid way of earning money.

This is getting silly now, so this is my last response.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

But my point was if you're going to come to boards with the purpose of bragging about your income, you should have something to brag about rather than being lower middle class.

It must be pretty rare for a thread of this sort to have the non-OP come in and make themselves the worst thing about it.

• Advertisement

elefant wrote: »
    It must be pretty rare for a thread of this sort to have the non-OP come in and make themselves the worst thing about it.

Let me guess, you're a salt of the earth type and you think the middle class and up are the biggest scumbags in Ireland?

Advertisement