Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BB/CC cream vs make up routine?

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

I did some looking about.

Primers seem to come in regular silicone format, then some with color corrector and something else, luminescent/gloss..... something something.

But they don't seem to be comparable to foundation in that there's no color matching, finish texture etc - not the same range to choose from.

Primarily just a silicone base so the foundation sits more smoothly on the skin.

I gotta say, BB/CC cream has little comparison to full coverage foundation in terms of essentially enhancing skin appearance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Primers seem to come in regular silicone format, then some with color corrector and something else, luminescent/gloss..... something something.

But they don't seem to be comparable to foundation in that there's no color matching, finish texture etc - not the same range to choose from.

Primarily just a silicone base so the foundation sits more smoothly on the skin.

I gotta say, BB/CC cream has little comparison to full coverage foundation in terms of essentially enhancing skin appearance.

Primers arent supposed to be comparable to foundation as thats not what theyre used for, they go under your foundation providing a base to keep you foundation on longer or to enhance the appearance of your skin.
    Foundation and primer are two very different products that work best when used together.

BB/CC cream arent marketed as foundations let alone full coverage, dont know why youd expect the two to be comparable?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Primers don't have any color correcting ability.

I don't use them always ..but I would never use them with a cc/bb cream.

Primers are made to do two things ....make foundation last longer ...and protect your skin.

Foundation is not good for skin. CC/BB cream is better and more moisturizing.
    But if you have oily skin you might not want to use them...and if you have oily skin you will need a primer ...as its the oils that break down the foundation over the day ...and you end up with it breaking up or fading ...primer helps with this ..it provides a barrier between the oils in your skin and the foundation ..without stripping your skin of oil.

Basically as Airyfairy has said ...Primers help the foundation ON longer. Your face MOVES ..and when your face moves ....the foundation is moved. When the oil in your skin is produces through the day ..it mixes with the foundation ..BREAKING it down...you end up with patches.

If you want your make up to last from morning to evening ..like you have a long day ...primer can help...and it can help protect your skin from the foundation.

A lot of women find wearing make up everyday ...its harsh on the skin. Its why people use CC creams etc ...as they are better for the skin but with less coverage.

If you find your foundation is breaking up all the time ...and patchy after only an hr of wearing it no matter what you wear ...there are two things you can do ..you can try a shine sheet to get the oil off and see if that helps ..or try a primer.

Basically is the oils from your own skin or a moisturizer that messes up and breaks down foundation ...the primer is just there to act as a barrier without stripping your skin. It actually doesn't nothing for your skin on its own ...its got no pigment.

Another important use for primer is this. One of the most common complaints about foundation ...is that it causes breakouts. Primer can help here too.

Since a cc /bb cream HAS MOISTURIZER IN IT ...its not going to go well with a primer ..which is designed to keep oils away from the foundation.

But just because this NEW product has come out laptop ..doesn't mean you need it ..or that it will work for you.

You have to be savvy. You have to MAKE everything work for you. Nothing rolls off the shelf perfectly...its application.

Simplicity and natural is best.

Do you really need a primer?

I mean if you keep finding your make up is coming off in clumps an hr after putting it on ..and its a good product ..yeah try a primer ..its your oils mixing in ..maybe..otherwise do you need it?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Hi OP,

I'm a guy who wears makeup too. Nobody has ever noticed that I have worn makeup before and even some close friends were surprised when I told them as they had never noticed. It will take a LOT of expirementation and a lot of money on different products until you find the ones for you. Took me about a year of trying products until I got into a routine I was comfortable with and thought overall flattered my looks while looking completely natural.

First step I'd advise is buying a hand held mirror, whenever your try a product go outside under an overcast sky to observe your work. Unfortunately you'll be pretty horrified the first few times by how different and likely much worse the application looked than when you were in your bedroom/bathroom etc.And your first few attepmpts at conealer/BB cream/foundation matching to your skin tone will look pretty gross.

Unfortunately for us as guys I really think that foundations/ BB creams all over tge face are a no go, anything that completely changes your skin tone is just impossible to pass as completely natural. So I don't use it. And anyway, usually those products actually just zap the life out of your face unless you use other products to reintroduce colour and dimension back into your face. I have pretty good skin naturally so personally I don't feel the need anyway.

The products I use are -

A green colour corrector- it's more of a moisturiser with a suble green tint, but it's very effective at reducing redness without making me look green. I'm really impressed by it tbh. If you have no redness I don't see a point to buying this. Other correctors such as salmon for purple underyees seem like a gimmick to me, unless your dark circles are absolutely woeful a normal concealer will be effective enough.

You seem to fixate on pimers a lot , they are not all that necessary really . IN fact sometimes they are really bad products and just cause foundations to sldie around the face. Though if you have large pores it can definitely help conceal them. Just on that note you'll find as you learn more you don't need every product or step or tecnique other people use, you don't have to use them just because most other people do. It's important to learn basic from the way they do it but your routine will be totally unique by the end and you may omit or include your own steps.

Anyway other things I use ;

Concealer- Youtubers seem to use extremely light colours which on you will look very unconvincing, go for one that completely matches your skin tone. It will look a lot better. But slightly lighter than your skin tone is definitely better than too dark in this part of the face. Maybelline fit me! does the job, huge range of tones, dirt cheap, good quality high coverage liquid concealer. Buy a good few (they're only 4-5 euro) in a range of tones you think look similar to your skin and try to find your perfect match.

I use the same one on any redness, blemishes,or spots.

Cream blush - blush can look extremely realistic and give a really beautiful glow to your face. It is by far my favourite makeup product because it is so effective while looking completely natural. Powder blush can look good too but may dry you out. Glossier do a lovely one called cloudpaint.

Bronzer- I brush some around the edges of my face. I use a golden/beige as I'm quite pale, just all over the forhead cheeks and under my jaw.It doesn't contour, just adds glow to my face. I also use a very light powder bronzer over the parts of my underte I used concealer on to make them look less pale and more healthy.

Contour will absolutely look completely fake on you I don't advise trying it, at least in a setting with daylight. Maybe if you're going clubbing idk never tried but might work out fine in that scenario.

I use some nyx born to glow drops to give some subtle highlight around the face, around the lips, tiny drop on the cheek, wherever you want skin to look luminous.

I fill in brows, any brown brow pencil will do. Again, many men do have thick brows, filling them in may be completely unnecessary for you. I trace my lashline too with a liquid eyeliner very carefully and lightly , it gives a really nice effect to the eyes. If you only go over the eyelid which your eyelashes directly sit on it looks completely natural .This tecnique will take a while to perfect.

I finish with a spray of setting spray to melt it all a bit and completely blur any unblended parts and make it more seamless and just to add moisture back to my face.

Again, whether you pick matte or dewy finish depends on your skin moisture levels, and your desired look, so nobody can really advise you on these things usually, it will just take trial and error. This goes for pretty much every product and routine step.

That's it mostly. Sorry it's so long but I know how confusing this is starting off as a guy and how little resources there are to help guys.I have still not gotten over the embarassment of going to a makeup aisle or asking a shop assistant for help with tones/products, so sadly I buy it all on amazon to save preserve my dignity. I'm sure the ladies in Inglot or wherever would be perfectly cool about it but I'm quite shy and just can't face it.

Basically I had to self learn which was really hard. To top it all off , our technique has to be really good. Otherwise people will notice, and there are lot lot of people who won't mind ripping the piss out of a guy that wears makeup. So, not only is it harder for guys to learn but they've a lot to lose if they do apply it badly.
    If you'd like to dicuss a bit more you can PM me as it's something I'm interested in and I completely relate to your struggles.

Btw: ELF and NYX are great brands for you to start off with, fantastic products high end in quality but at supermarket/pharmacy consmetic prices. Then eventualy splash out on some products from high ends like Bobbi Brown or Glossier who do high quality products with emphasis on natural beauty.

Elle Leary, Wayne Goss and Lisa Eldridge are great youtuber makeup artists who post extremely detailed and well explained makeup routines using a huge variety of products of different price ranges, all of them also usually focus on natural looking makeup finishes, I learned a lot from them, L.Eldridge in particular.

bb1234567 wrote: »

A green colour corrector- it's more of a moisturiser with a suble green tint, but it's very effective at reducing redness without making me look green. I'm really impressed by it tbh. If you have no redness I don't see a point to buying this. Other correctors such as salmon for purple underyees seem like a gimmick to me, unless your dark circles are absolutely woeful a normal concealer will be effective enough.

Hi, just wondering what colour corrector do you use? ive been trying to find a decent green tint corrector for years, just cant find one that works without making my skin look grey/green.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement

Hi, just wondering what colour corrector do you use? ive been trying to find a decent green tint corrector for years, just cant find one that works without making my skin look grey/green.
    Thanks.

Hi hopefully this one will work for you then , it's called Barry M cosmetics Flawless primer. It's my favourite one I would say.

I too have found that issue with a lot of them causing an ashy grey appearance but havnt had that problem with this one . And I personally havn't experienced any noticeable greening of my skin but I havnt really has this issue in general as I think a little goes a long way , so I don't use all that much. The hue in this is quite a nice light shade of lime, which I think looks a bit better than others I've tried so far, and the texture sinks in like a moisturiser.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/reallyree.com/barry-m-flawless-primers-review-swatches/amp/
    A lady has done a swatch of it in this blog post.

It's very cheap anyway !

Hi hopefully this one will work for you then , it's called Barry M cosmetics Flawless primer. It's my favourite one I would say.

I too have found that issue with a lot of them causing an ashy grey appearance but havnt had that problem with this one . And I personally havn't experienced any noticeable greening of my skin but I havnt really has this issue in general as I think a little goes a long way , so I don't use all that much. The hue in this is quite a nice light shade of lime, which I think looks a bit better than others I've tried so far, and the texture sinks in like a moisturiser.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/reallyree.com/barry-m-flawless-primers-review-swatches/amp/
    A lady has done a swatch of it in this blog post.

It's very cheap anyway !

Never even thought of Barry M, thanks.

That's it mostly. Sorry it's so long but I know how confusing this is starting off as a guy and how little resources there are to help guys.I have still not gotten over the embarassment of going to a makeup aisle or asking a shop assistant for help with tones/products, so sadly I buy it all on amazon to save preserve my dignity. I'm sure the ladies in Inglot or wherever would be perfectly cool about it but I'm quite shy and just can't face it.

Basically I had to self learn which was really hard. To top it all off , our technique has to be really good. Otherwise people will notice, and there are lot lot of people who won't mind ripping the piss out of a guy that wears makeup. So, not only is it harder for guys to learn but they've a lot to lose if they do apply it badly.
    If you'd like to dicuss a bit more you can PM me as it's something I'm interested in and I completely relate to your struggles.

Cheers man, great info.

You raise one point which definitely jumps out at me, which is,

"I have still not gotten over the embarassment of going to a makeup aisle or asking a shop assistant for help with tones/products"

This wasn't so much a difficult hurdle for myself, but it seemed a slightly difficult hurdle - believe it or no - to find a MUA that I could get a sound consultation with.

No judgement but, I went in a couple places and hand to God, the gal/woman behind the counter basically said, "we don't do that here, sorry", flustered and that I should show myself out.

I get the distinct feeling it's unusual for.... I don't know "men" in general, but frankly, someone such as myself, to go looking at makeup.

Anyways, after wandering about a department store make up section and some too'ing and fro'ing, I got this great consultation with a MUA that according to herself, does makeup for high def television and made the appearance look super natural.

It was a very reassuring experience at the start as, she used full coverage foundation all over and basically matched the shades etc so perfectly.
    But the products were ridiculously expensive so I ended up just starting with some cheaper drug store products to get a feel for things.

Again - kind of weird initially in the drug store but, gal eventually seemed to get a sense that I was genuine and we tried a bunch of shades and found one which seems to match fairly okay.

The improvement in appearance with makeup is so dramatic, in addition to learning that plenty of dudes use/wear it that, I'm prepared to invest the time to become proficient at its discreet application.

If it's okay just fire ahead with perspectives here on the open forum as perhaps there's a MUA or two that peruses this sub and can lend some insights on the tribulations of dudes buying makeup, :cool:

Cheers man, great info.

You raise one point which definitely jumps out at me, which is,

"I have still not gotten over the embarassment of going to a makeup aisle or asking a shop assistant for help with tones/products"

This wasn't so much a difficult hurdle for myself, but it seemed a slightly difficult hurdle - believe it or no - to find a MUA that I could get a sound consultation with.

No judgement but, I went in a couple places and hand to God, the gal/woman behind the counter basically said, "we don't do that here, sorry", flustered and that I should show myself out.

I get the distinct feeling it's unusual for.... I don't know "men" in general, but frankly, someone such as myself, to go looking at makeup.

Anyways, after wandering about a department store make up section and some too'ing and fro'ing, I got this great consultation with a MUA that according to herself, does makeup for high def television and made the appearance look super natural.

It was a very reassuring experience at the start as, she used full coverage foundation all over and basically matched the shades etc so perfectly.
    But the products were ridiculously expensive so I ended up just starting with some cheaper drug store products to get a feel for things.

Again - kind of weird initially in the drug store but, gal eventually seemed to get a sense that I was genuine and we tried a bunch of shades and found one which seems to match fairly okay.

The improvement in appearance with makeup is so dramatic, in addition to learning that plenty of dudes use/wear it that, I'm prepared to invest the time to become proficient at its discreet application.

If it's okay just fire ahead with perspectives here on the open forum as perhaps there's a MUA or two that peruses this sub and can lend some insights on the tribulations of dudes buying makeup, :cool:

Even as a woman I avoid MUA consultations, I was offered to have my makeup done for free in Brown Thomas and even turned that down. Each to their own but im not personally into the full face of full coverage makeup, the makeup trend currently is instagram/drag queen makeup which in involves 20 makeup application steps, for a natural look they switch out the bright colours for neutral ones and use Brown Eyeliner instead of black but it's clearly no were near natural looking.
    Theyre trained to do makeup this way, I did a beautician/ makeup training course years ago with a very notable course provider, the more makeup we could fit onto the face, the more impressed the trainers were. I love a natural look too.
    Someone mentioned earlier to watch Lisa Eldridge youtube videos, id second that as she has some really good natural looks.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Even as a woman I avoid MUA consultations, I was offered to have my makeup done for free in Brown Thomas and even turned that down. Each to their own but im not personally into the full face of full coverage makeup, the makeup trend currently is instagram/drag queen makeup which in involves 20 makeup application steps, for a natural look they switch out the bright colours for neutral ones and use Brown Eyeliner instead of black but it's clearly no were near natural looking.
    Theyre trained to do makeup this way, I did a beautician/ makeup training course years ago with a very notable course provider, the more makeup we could fit onto the face, the more impressed the trainers were. I love a natural look too.
    Someone mentioned earlier to watch Lisa Eldridge youtube videos, id second that as she has some really good natural looks.
    The girls at laura mercier in BT are really nice ...and do very natural work! :o

• Advertisement

The girls at laura mercier in BT are really nice ...and do very natural work! :o

The Bobby Brown counter seems to be good too although ive not tried there myself.

Sure, and I'd imagine that's coming from someone who has experience in the area.

Getting started out I was hoping for someone basically to show me a foundation from a concealer, I didn't know what beauty blender was etc.
    Blank slate.
    I think I just needed that outlay from someone who does it for a living, right from the start to show me where I should begin.

Where I'm at now is - I seem to have gotten an understanding of the basics;
    - pore reducing primer
    - correct shade/finish/coverage foundation
    - under eye concealer and
    - translucent setting powder.

In my case all applied minimally for discretion, but improvement is dramatic.

Also tried of course as per title, BB/CC creams but, full coverage foundation yields much better result.

Then small additions like,
    - eyebrow gel
    - lanolips for moisturized lips
    - And trying to move on to discreet contouring/bronzing/highlighting (especially to reintroduce that "3D" appearance after the coverage of a foundation, as the dude above mentioned).
    - Correctly shaded lip liner (maybe).

And that should be all the bases covered.

As you mention, there does seem to be this idea of "drag queen" etc however,

This dude has on makeup here,

NcUyCoF.png?1

Here he doesn't,

RDIobt8.jpg?1

Difference is dramatic, though in picture A, I don't think anyone would call that "Drag".

i.e. focus is on appearance enhancement, more so than some kind of social trend.
    Though naturally the latter has always had strong influence on choice for many I'd imagine.

Sure, and I'd imagine that's coming from someone who has experience in the area.

Getting started out I was hoping for someone basically to show me a foundation from a concealer, I didn't know what beauty blender was etc.
    Blank slate.
    I think I just needed that outlay from someone who does it for a living, right from the start to show me where I should begin.

Where I'm at now is - I seem to have gotten an understanding of the basics;
    - pore reducing primer
    - correct shade/finish/coverage foundation
    - under eye concealer and
    - translucent setting powder.

In my case all applied minimally for discretion, but improvement is dramatic.

Also tried of course as per title, BB/CC creams but, full coverage foundation yields much better result.

Then small additions like,
    - eyebrow gel
    - lanolips for moisturized lips
    - And trying to move on to discreet contouring/bronzing/highlighting (especially to reintroduce that "3D" appearance after the coverage of a foundation, as the dude above mentioned).
    - Correctly shaded lip liner (maybe).

And that should be all the bases covered.

As you mention, there does seem to be this idea of "drag queen" etc however,

This dude has on makeup here,

NcUyCoF.png?1

Here he doesn't,

RDIobt8.jpg?1

Difference is dramatic, though in picture A, I don't think anyone would call that "Drag".

i.e. focus is on appearance enhancement, more so than some kind of social trend.
    Though naturally the latter has always had strong influence on choice for many I'd imagine.

You miss understood me entirely. I didnt mention drag queen makeup in the context of men, reread my post I said the current makeup trend among women is instagram/drag queen, it is literally inspired by drag queen makeup with heavy contour, heavy eye makeup and lips etc, this is how MUA's are taught to apply makeup on both men and women, which is fine but that style of makeup isnt for everyone which is also fine.

The images you showed are nothing like that, not sure how youre drawing the comparison?

As mentioned in earlier posts, if youre looking a natural look a full coverage foundation wont provide that finish no matter how lightly you apply it.
    Also mentioned, you dont need a primer, its personal preference.

Just to add to that I personally don't think that makeup look on Elon musk is flattering at all.
    He looks washed out, pallid and grey exactly like how full coverage foundation looks on any white person without bronzer or blush being used to bring back life and colour.

Targeted use of a concealer willl give a much more natural effect imo.

Advertisement