Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Homeless mother forced to sleep in car

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

Oh come on now.

If she is claiming One Parent Family Payment and child benefit, she has income of over €2300 free and clear tax free from social welfare every month.
    2300 for a family of 6 5 young kids i dont know to be honest, my family unit was 5 and 2300 would not of given us a decent quality of life but i was working. I carnt answe this one to be honest as i dont know.

And you think she shouldn't have to contribute €25 per week towards housing herself and her kids?
    100 a month from 2330 is a lot of money, no i dont think in this case she should be paying.

So who do you think should pay for her? Where is the father of these children?

The state the tax payer should pay.
    Yes where is the Farther i would like to know to?
    I agree with those who say the children should be removed and placed in care until such time as she agrees to take what is offered. The schools and her family are excuses. The children haven't been in school for months and her family kicked her out!

Putting kids into care for this is crazy, the kids would suffer.
    Its a stunt, pure and simple and anyone who falls for it, more fool you.

Yes you could be right a stunt to draw attention to herself, woulkdnt surprise me if the kids didnt even stay in the car over night. But its drawn attention to her plight.

And for the record, I am a single mother. Its single mothers who behave like this one that give the rest of us a bad name.
    Single mothers dont have a bad name some folk give them a bad name because they can be jelous or just plain hateful.

Enough of this type of carry on, and shame on that journalist for writing
    The journalist might of been on the stunt thats of course if it was, she might of wanted to draw attention to the womans plight.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,404 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Erica Flemming is a shining beacon for this.
    Her Twitter handle was something like ericahome.....ffs. She wanted a house handed to her while she studied.
    It worked out... she got handed the keys to a new house. Then was on constantly for weeks moaning about the quality of the windows....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,404 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

mick087 wrote: »
    If she is claiming One Parent Family Payment and child benefit, she has income of over €2300 free and clear tax free from social welfare every month.
    2300 for a family of 6 5 young kids i dont know to be honest, my family unit was 5 and 2300 would not of given us a decent quality of life but i was working. I carnt answe this one to be honest as i dont know.

And you think she shouldn't have to contribute €25 per week towards housing herself and her kids?
    100 a month from 2330 is a lot of money, no i dont think in this case she should be paying.

I agree with those who say the children should be removed and placed in care until such time as she agrees to take what is offered. The schools and her family are excuses. The children haven't been in school for months and her family kicked her out!

Yes you could be right a stunt to draw attention to herself, woulkdnt surprise me if the kids didnt even stay in the car over night. But its drawn attention to her plight.

And for the record, I am a single mother. Its single mothers who behave like this one that give the rest of us a bad name.
    Single mothers dont have a bad name some folk give them a bad name because they can be jelous or just plain hateful.

The journalist might of been on the stunt thats of course if it was, she might of wanted to draw attention to the womans plight.
    Free houses for all....sure your rent is no good here just keep all your money in your pocket that the state gives you we will maintain your house for nothing as well obviously....

This is absolute economic insanity but then again I think you know that.

The woman's plight...she was in rent arrears to the council fecked off to UK...came back....was offered a suitable house....but it wasn't where she wanted it...so she is staging a homeless sit in stunt in her car to engineer a house near her ma....plight?!? Ffs...my heart bleeds for her

493.jpg

This is how you get people banned this is how you make people look bad.
    This is how you bully people. Is that what you are a internet bully?

Your a bully.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

How would you plan on paying for free houses for everyone? Can i get one or what's your criteria?

• Advertisement

I don't have kids. I couldn't afford to give children a decent and respectable upbringing. It would most certainly push me to the poverty line. So instead of bringing children into a crap upbringing and leaning every opportunity against them from the word go, I'd rather not have them at all.

In relation to buying a council house, I've no issue with it. Council houses are generational anyway. If council houses were legitimately reviewed and taken back off people on a recurring basis, then I would agree the sale of them is a poor idea. As it stands, I own my house, but the same families are in the same houses since this estate was built. Their kids will get them when the parents die, and so on. Aside from rare circumstances, no one else gets a council house that's already been given out anyway.

In my area it only happens when someone's been forced out due to anti social behaviour, or there's a sudden death and the (adult children) can't stake a claim to the house. In the normal course of people's lives, houses are not given to other families and are treated as 'forever homes' by everyone that gets one anyway.

I do have issue with buying a council house but im sure you read what i said.
    Yes i know what your saying same familes in the house hence i was saying about kids future etc.

I agree people do have the attiude for the for ever home, but im sure you know some of these will only ever live on that estate or that house and will have issues getting any sort of job. That council house is there becon of light. And when they are all sold where do they go?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,625 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

That council house is there becon of light. And when they are all sold where do they go?

Get a job and rent a house like the rest of us have to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

Get a job and rent a house like the rest of us have to do?

But it's their right to a home don't you see, their RIGHT.

Some joke.

This can't even be a debate surely?

Joyce, cash. McDonagh next I assume

Offers and refused housing, owes rent despite it being sweet fa

Multiple kids, far above the average home

WTF is there a debate about?

I do have issue with buying a council house but im sure you read what i said.
    Yes i know what your saying same familes in the house hence i was saying about kids future etc.

I agree people do have the attiude for the for ever home, but im sure you know some of these will only ever live on that estate or that house and will have issues getting any sort of job. That council house is there becon of light. And when they are all sold where do they go?

I don't think you fully appreciate the purpose of people buying council houses. There are many upsides.

Just one of those is that I can sell my house back to the council if I wish, at a later date. Meaning I'll be able to take the lump sum of money from the sale of the house to buy another house elsewhere. So I'll be able to move up the ladder out of council estates in general, if i wish to do so.

Meanwhile, the Council can then offer my house to someone else. If they do the same as I did, then that's two people that have managed to work their way out of the "poverty trap" and stand on their own two feet.

If they become Cash's or Joyce's then that's that house written off for the next several generations, but in the meantime, those that bought can make progress to a better quality of life.

Also, I now pay for everything to do with my house. I pay property tax, i pay tradesmen (who pay tax), i cant buy the house without having a job, so i pay tax/vat... all this money goes back into giving Joyce here a house of her choice.

If I didn't buy the house, I'd be a net cost to the council/govt as theyd be paying for maintenance, LPT, etc and I'd be paying a trivial amount of rent that wouldn't cover their expenses. Meaning I'd still be living here (except i'd never move away, so this house would never become available to anyone else) and there'd be less money in the pot for Joyce to get her stables.

The only people who are against the purchasing of council houses are those that never really fully think the schemes through properly. It has many more pros than cons.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Who would have 200k of a mortgage out for them to rent . 5/6 kids probably out of control can u imagine the house Ud get back .
    Dip the wick u have to pay for the oil so piss off , take the kids into care

How would you plan on paying for free houses for everyone? Can i get one or what's your criteria?

I dont plan on buying free houses for everyone.
    What i said was its possible for there to be decent safe afordable housing for everyone if the will was there.
    Unfortunately we are not at point where enough people belive or want this.

The state the tax payer should pay. ]

With responses like these it is clear there is no point in trying to reason with this. There is no logic here. Enough said.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭irishproduce

The purpose of the article is to attempt to apply undue pressure on the council. That pressure can only come if the message is bent or misconstrued. Well I support the council in standing their ground, in full. Clearly they have done nothing wrong and this attempt cannot be allowed to succeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭BnB

Help was there, she was given a home in Clare (her hometown) and ended up in arrears. She moved away and has now refused a home in Cashel.

How do you end up in arrears on a council house???

She could come back to Clare. We'd give her a job as a TD

The wine has worn off and Mick doesn’t seem as lovely anymore :(

The wine has worn off and Mick doesn’t seem as lovely anymore :(

Mick seemed lovely? :P

I don't think you fully appreciate the purpose of
    I don't think you fully appreciate the purpose of people buying council houses. There are many upsides.
    I dont appreciate anyone buying a council house.

Just one of those is that I can sell my house back to the council if I wish, at a later date. Meaning I'll be able to take the lump sum of money from the sale of the house to buy another house elsewhere. So I'll be able to move up the ladder out of council estates in general, if i wish to do so.
    You should not be able to sell your house back because you should not be allowed to buy it to start with. Council houses are for those who can not afford to buy a home. Buying a council home to then go on to buy a better place is quite stomach turning to me. Its just wrong.

Meanwhile, the Council can then offer my house to someone else. If they do the same as I did, then that's two people that have managed to work their way out of the "poverty trap" and stand on their own two feet.
    Very few houses get brought back by the council, most end up in the hands of private landlords.

If they become Cash's or Joyce's then that's that house written off for the next several generations, but in the meantime, those that bought can make progress to a better quality of life.
    Living on a posher estate wont give you a better quality of life, it might make you think you did well for yourself and you have moved to a more expensive area, but it wont guarantee you anything.

Also, I now pay for everything to do with my house. I pay property tax, i pay tradesmen (who pay tax), i cant buy the house without having a job, so i pay tax/vat... all this money goes back into giving Joyce here a house of her choice.
    Yes when you own your own home you have to pay for everyting but its yours to do what you want and no one can ever kick you out.

If I didn't buy the house, I'd be a net cost to the council/govt as theyd be paying for maintenance, LPT, etc and I'd be paying a trivial amount of rent that wouldn't cover their expenses. Meaning I'd still be living here (except i'd never move away, so this house would never become available to anyone else) and there'd be less money in the pot for Joyce to get her stables.
    But the point of a council house is its for those who cannot afford to but there own place. They was built by the state to house people who had a low income. They was not built for investment purposes .

The only people who are against the purchasing of council houses are those that never really fully think the schemes through properly. It has many more pros than cons.
    No not all are againt it dont think it through, i have many times but again i say when all the houses are sold where do people go then? Buying a council house will have ramifications for folk who was once in your situation and couldnt afford a place. They will now not even have an option of a council house because they are all sold,

I maybe wrong but i now belive they build socail houses and sometimes you will never be allowed to buy them. I could be wrong but i was told this quite recently.

I maybe wrong

You said it, pal.

You said it, pal.

But have you taken anything in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭pm1977x

Kitty Holland needs to take a long hard look at herself, trotting this tripe out every few years, high on emotional guff, low on facts. Here’s a sample of “forced” to live in car yarns from her, almost as if she’s a soft touch or addicted to click bait:

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/mother-and-her-three-young-children-forced-to-live-in-car-1.1773245

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/dublin-couple-sleeping-in-their-car-for-three-weeks-1.2012427

Of course when people point out to her on Twitter facts which don’t suit the sob story she cries foul or blocks them. (Think in first case it turned out the woman had a house in Kildare but didn’t want to live there for some stupid reason, Kitty just stuck her fingers in her ear and ignored this)

Disgusted with the Irish Times for indulging this nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

This HAS to be a windup. If she paid her rent, she’d have over €500 a week left to feed and clothe her children, and pay her bills.
    Taking out €200 a week for food, which a very generous budget (and I say that as someone who shops for a family of 6 every week), that leaves €300 for bills and to clothe the children. It’s a lot of money to get through, bearing in mind she has no childcare, no cost of commuting to work, no uniforms or work clothes to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭collywobble7

mick087 wrote:
    Im a big beliver in self- responsibility i would be all for that. Your right some people dont get the same opportunites as others and these people seem to come from less privallged backgrounds.

Please stop posting. My head hurts

• Registered Users Posts: 11,920 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Living on a posher estate wont give you a better quality of life, it might make you think you did well for yourself and you have moved to a more expensive area, but it wont guarantee you anything.

Trust me, it will, wouldn't have to deal with some of the filth that councils put in these estates

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Can I just say how absolutely hilarious it is that someone here is saying that she can’t afford to pay a measly €100 per month rent out of an income of €2300, I remember a time just a few short years ago when my monthly salary after tax was around €1800 a month and my half of the rent was €1,100 and I had to survive off that with absolutely no government hand outs and no pity parties for me.
    And I’m not the only one either.

The remainder of my salary had to cover my share of the electricity, tv & internet, my phone bill, weekly food shop, commuting expenses, health insurance and a loan repayment.
    It didn’t stretch very far, I can promise that, I had no pension and my savings were zilch because I was living hand to mouth.
    I couldn’t even afford to drive or run a car and I remember many a month running out of funds and having to walk to work (over an hours walk) because I couldn’t afford the bus fare.
    I was entitled to HAP but couldn’t find a property that would accept it, I had no medical card, no income supplement, basically nothing from the government to help whatsoever.

I have recently been temporarily laid off cause of covid-19 but before that I lucky to not be in such a precarious financial position, but it’s people on low/middle incomes like I was on that should be championed, not this total leech.
    She has been given enough opportunities to better herself and has f*cked them all up.
    At what point are we going to say enough is enough and actually give some help to the people who are working for a pittance but expected to pay upwards of €1800 a month on rent, who can’t save enough for a deposit or get mortgage approval?
    Where are the people championing their cause?
    Because they’re FAR more deserving of consideration and sympathy than this wagon is.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭perfectkama

Kitty Holland stories are getting less heart warming because the hard pressed tax payer is now entering a recession giving billions to to lazy baby poppers for more mickey money will eventually have to stop afraid will have to wait till the next bail out

• Registered Users Posts: 16,017 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

"Forced" is having to do a lot of heavy lifting here. Yet another sleep out publicity protest in the same template as Cash and others. The public is getting pretty weary of this shıt.

It seems main problem is everyone using the bathroom in the house. How did large families with only one bog ever manage in the past?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭Pa ElGrande

Kitty Holland Social Affairs Correspondent

I stopped reading after that point, this journalist has form from way back in 2014.

And based on previous experience this journalist lies by omission so you must ask yourself what facts does she leave out.

Net Zero means we are paying for the destruction of our economy and society in pursuit of an unachievable and pointless policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Learned what, I would ask?

This thread so far is a repeat of many which have gone before it with the usual calls for her children to be removed from her, back of a napkin calculations about her entitlements, people imagining they have authority over other people that they don’t, and the rest.

I wonder is this one of the women that JK was referring to when she said women need to be able to talk about their experiences or complaining about online pile-ons.

She was in her balls :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Maybe we could have an x factor style competition where various people explain why they feel they can jump the housing list or have houses that arent available given to them?

Advertisement