Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PV Feed In Tariff

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,066 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

They're emailing me the bills for FIT, they don't appear on the portal but the credit will show on your account in the portal

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,200 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Thanks Guys, I think that makes more sense now. There is a value for "your last bill" on my bill which has a negative value so that's obviously our FiT.

I will ask herself if she got any emails about it, she probably has and just ignored them 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,050 ✭✭✭con747

The Flogas Community plan rates are active again. https://www.flogas.ie/flogas-cp-electricity-fixed-1-yr.html

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭ColemanY2K

You would be sick if you signed up the other day at 40c/20c.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭Nolars

Is it worth getting out of contract for this. What fee do sse charge

• Advertisement

€50 per utility AFAIK they say the below but I don't see it in their T&C's so you would need to verify it.

"SSE does have a “happiness guarantee”, which means you can cancel for free within the first 60 days if you aren't satisfied with the service. There is also no charge if you cancel by 5pm on the day before the service is due to start."

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Only one to watch is pinenergy, its a x amount per month thing left on your contract AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭redmagic68

Energia rang me earlier offering 20% discount now that they’ve been notified of the flogas switch. I was offered 10% last week. It still left their units at 20.37 night 42.46 day. She did say they’re likely to fall further but that no good to me was the general gist.

Asked me who I was switching too and then told me it was the flogas community plan before I got a chance to answer 😂 They’re well aware of the competition.

8.4 kwp east/west Louth,6kw sofar, 9.6kwh batt

• Registered Users Posts: 45,333 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Hopefully a price war!

Prices surely due to fall much further.

A price war when the suppliers can charge what they want with no regulation and the government handing out free money to combat it. The new entrant Yuno you would have expected to enter with competitive rates but are nowhere near the Flogas Community offer rates.

• Advertisement

I honestly don’t see rates getting back to anywhere near the energia ev rates we had for the past year. My smug self says great cause the solar payback is faster, but the reality being high energy prices screw us all on every purchase we make nearly.

That said and looking at smart plans and the shafting people are getting there I can actually see it get worse on day night meters especially with the new smart meters coming in stream.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,333 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

Flogas is good but I got the same night rate fixed from Energia seven months ago, so it's no use to me. Prices have a long way to fall yet surely. Whether it will happen is another thing.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Heres a stupid question and maybe Im missing something.

Im 6 months into having solar so its coming up to my first FIT payment with BGE.

HDS file from ESB networks says I exported 1542 units

HDS file from BGE says I exported 765 units.

Both files are dated the same but it looks like the error is on BGEs side.

Thats a huge discrepancy and is a difference of €283 v €140 payback.

Any ideas?

I cant upload the hds files as its not allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Busman Paddy Lasty

Didn't this happen before where the ESB "units" were actually 30 minute samples, so BGE might be correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Scoobydoobydoo101

As busman mentioned, 30min intervals so you need to divide the ESB answer by 2

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

That makes sense. Thanks for the help.

I agree, energy prices are down from last year but they're still very high and liable to go higher. I don't see any environment for suppliers to be cutting prices significantly anytime soon

I agree. Wholesale gas prices are up something like 30% over the low they reached a few months back. I can see that excuse being used to hold rates at best and increase rates in a worst case scenario.

🌞 7.79kWp PV System. Comprised of 4.92kWp Tilting Ground Mount + 2.87kWp @ 27°, azimuth 180°, West Waterford 🌞

On a minor positive note, I'm seeing a lot more rooftop solar being installed, plus lots of planning applications for commercial solar.

And we've seen the recent wind power auctions that there's a lot of capacity for offshore wind

Obviously with prices being high renewables make a lot more financial sense

I don't think that's going to do a whole lot to push down consumer prices in the short term, but they'll help to contain the impact of gas prices and at least we can say there's more green energy on the grid

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭jkforde

it's a sadly stark sign of grossly unhealthy 'market' when a new player doesn't have to compete! is there anything the CCPC can do within their remit? 🤔 😂

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Advertisement

Article on the rte website this evening regarding the latest CSO stats release with the following quotes from bonkers...

Commenting on today's CSO figures, Daragh Cassidy, head of communications at Bonkers.ie, said that at €96 per MWh, electricity prices are still over double the level they were in 2020 before Covid and then the war in Ukraine wreaked havoc with energy prices.

The average price over the past six months, which is a better figure to use, is still over three times what would be considered normal levels, he added.

This is why households haven't seen a reduction in their electricity bills yet. There hasn't been anything to pass on really. Yes, wholesale prices have fallen in recent months and some of the percentage drops look huge - but prices have fallen from really high levels to begin with. And a lot of that increase wasn't passed on to households in the first place," Mr Cassidy said.

"A lot of media attention has focussed on the hedging strategies of suppliers as the reason for our high prices. But the simple fact is that the cost of electricity in Ireland is still very expensive to generate and has been for many years," he added.

Mr Cassidy said that looking forward, we should see some small reductions from suppliers over the coming weeks as hedging strategies unwind.

"But our electricity prices will remain very high for the foreseeable future unfortunately. And we may never get back to the more normal levels they were at in 2020," he cautioned.

I disagree with his final point. I think while it won't happen over the short term prices seen in 2020 will be seen again and potentially lower when the bulk of the offshore renewables recently auctioned start comin online. It may take 7 or so years but I certify see the low electricity prices in the 2030's if we manage to build what has been auctioned.

I wouldn't be too enthusiastic about making predictions 5 years out, imagine going back to 2018 and trying to convince someone there'd be a global pandemic, but everyone just stayed at home watching Netflix for 2 years, and then everything got really expensive, and Russia invaded Ukraine and energy got really REALLY expensive and then there was a coup in Niger and loads of news commentators had to pretend they knew why Niger was important all along

Imagine what things will be like in 2028...

Actually that's a pretty horrifying train of thought, maybe don't imagine it 😕

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭alexf1

Ireland needs to consider this type of idea again, and pronto! https://www.irishtimes.com/news/flooded-valleys-key-to-huge-power-plan-1.629605

If energy prices stay high then the FIT payments should stay high so that will help me and many others who have installed lots of Solar capacity. My bills are low enough at the moment due to the excess I send back to the grid but in future if me and the missus get electric cars our electricity usage would more than double so I don't want prices to stay high.

I do wonder how prices will go if the growth in EV ownership keeps going. It's mad how many new EV's I am seeing just in my housing estate (also comical how many identically specced white Tesla Model Y's there, 7 so far). Demand for electricity from the average semi-d must be getting crazy here.

From a technical viewpoint I love pumped hydro, but honestly it's enough of a struggle to build wind turbines and solar farms, imagine persuading people to let you flood a valley in Kerry or Donegal

I think if we're doing pumped hydro we'll have to bite the bullet and do it underground. Dig some tunnels in the Wicklow mountains and use them like underground cisterns

Regarding EVs, I think we're already seeing an impact in the consumer market even if nighttime demand is still low. Energia's infamous EV tariff with an 8c night rate is dead and gone

Most of the providers are focusing on smart meter EV deals, but they'll only give you 3-4 hours of super cheap electricity and then hamstring you for the rest of the day

However if you've got solar batteries and an inverter with a decent charger then you can get around 15-20kWh of cheap energy for your house in winter

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Hah flood a valley up here? Not a chance.

Killybegs need to get the finger out though and start building the big offshore turbines!

If you spend 5k plus on a battery though .

As for ev use it will inevitably put up the cost of electricity but we should still see reduction in fuel price per km overall compared to ICE.

Ireland seems to be like a monopoly on steroids though. Even when or if we build the off shore turbines or solar farms on a massive scale we’ll get told that we have to recoup our capital investment so the price will stay high, road tolls case in point.

the only way I think we will see a proper fall and consistent common EU energy price here is if we have a mainland European interconnector and can access the cheaper French power wholesale.

For now it’s great for domestic solar and with the stupid smart plans we’re going to get forced into it seems to me great for batteries too. I’d just love to see and proper break through and the prices fall considerably in the next 5 years so people can take proper control of their usage and rates they pay and make generation a requirement on new builds reducing co2 on a nationwide scale. Not hopeful on any of it though except the paying more for everything part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭DownByTheGarden

The standing charge con has started when smart plans started. Watch it increase as unit prices go down too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

That page 404's for me, what are the new rates?

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 TumblingDice1

Hi all,

Iv'e been told by someone who is active on the facebook PV forum that on that forum, someone said that the €200 tax free allowance on the FIT can be claimed by two people if they are living in the house with installed panels.

I find this hard to believe, and I would imagine that only one allowance can be claimed per installation. Could someone clarify if possible please?

Thanks.

Advertisement