Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More from Roderic O'Gorman (MOD NOTE IN OPENING POST)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭excludedbin

Making an obvious joke - not okay

Not-so-subtly (and sincerely) insinuating a TD is a paedophile, while bringing pictures of nooses to a protest against him, and a banner stating "punish the guilty" - okay

The twisted worldview of far right homophobes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭political analyst

AllForIt wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/TheSTMagazine/status/1282193172697960448

Just wondering...will those that legally change their gender be able to change it again? I am actually genuinely curious about this.

I read that and other stories in that edition of The Sunday Times Magazine. All of those stories are very sad.

How would a child of as low as primary-school age even think of the idea of being born with the wrong biological sex?

Obviously, as a man, I've been in the habit of going to the men's room to answer the call of nature since I was a child because that's where I was trained to go when I "had to go". Hypothetically, why would I think the opposite of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭castle2012

"trys to justice"?

Why didn't you give the full context of the tweet?

https://twitter.com/heterotextual/status/88509803890085888?s=19

Do you think that it was intended to be taken literally?
    Doesn't matter what the issue is. Encouraging volience against wemon never acceptable

• Registered Users Posts: 41,053 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

It's all so stupid like anyone really believes he is a paedophile or holds the view the age of consent should be lowered or that is even on the table. It's not going to happen or even be raised.

Just hysteria over nothing.

It reminds me of the satanic panic.

Renua were saying Roderic O'Gorman was promoting satanism

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 28,147 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

We could do with more Satanist in Dáil Éireann. If he comes out tomorrow and says he likes to eat babies and open pubs he'll get my vote. We need a bit of anarchy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

We could do with more Satanist in Dáil Éireann. If he comes out tomorrow and says he likes to eat babies and open pubs he'll get my vote. We need a bit of anarchy.

He's MAD for baby eating, this has been established, screenshot from his twitter here:

https://theliberal.ie/demands-for-him-to-be-sacked-as-state-media-completely-ignores-minister-for-children-roderic-ogorman-sick-social-media-posts/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,174 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Patton Oswalt is a "self confessed paedophile"? What now?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    Patton Oswalt is a "self confessed paedophile"? What now?

He tweeted something like “kids love rubbing my dong #careerendingtwittertypos” obviously the typo being dong was supposed to be dog
    Patton is a pretty crappy comedian and a loud mouth celebrity but not a paedo.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

castle2012 wrote: »
    Doesn't matter what the issue is. Encouraging volience against wemon never acceptable

There was no encouragement of violence in that tweet. How's the view down there at the bottom of the barrel that you're scraping?

How would a child of as low as primary-school age even think of the idea of being born with the wrong biological sex?

Obviously, as a man, I've been in the habit of going to the men's room to answer the call of nature since I was a child because that's where I was trained to go when I "had to go". Hypothetically, why would I think the opposite of that?

So you're not transgender, and you can't comprehend that a transgender person would have a different life experience to you?

Children don't think of the idea. They work it out for themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,621 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Yup, the Greens are back.

Yup, the Greens are back.

Yes, they're back implementing FG policy left over from the last government, agreed in the Programme for Government with FF.

There was no encouragement of violence in that tweet. How's the view down there at the bottom of the barrel that you're scraping?

If Cowan or anyone else tweeted that there would be uproar. It's not acceptable full stop. Encouraging people to take the law into there own hands. O Gorman is supposed to be a law maker. Just in case anyone missed the tweet. Here it is again!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,261 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I read that and other stories in that edition of The Sunday Times Magazine. All of those stories are very sad.

A lot of transgender people say they knew from a very young age that they were more in tune with the opposidte gender but had to wait to transition. That said, I'm totally in agreement with not allowing any gender changes that could cause problems if they had to be re-aligned later on should the person wish to change their mind before the age of 16 or so. By 18, they'll be legally allowed to change anyway, and there's nothing you can do to stop them.

But from my experiences with the community, by the time you hit 12-14 or so, they know.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

If Cowan or anyone else tweeted that there would be uproar. It's not acceptable full stop. Encouraging people to take the law into there own hands. O Gorman is supposed to be a law maker. Just in case anyone missed the tweet. Here it is again!

That faux-outrage isn't going to happen for you bud, find something else.

RWCNT wrote: »
    That faux-outrage isn't going to happen for you bud, find something else.

Why aren't we allowed question people who align themselves with the dark side? This is where this country went wrong with the Catholic Church. We didn't question things

Why aren't we allowed question people who align themselves with the dark side? This is where this country went wrong with the Catholic Church. We didn't question things

You're allowed. Question away.

By all means, question him - but you need to sepreate him from the issue at hand.

Just because you hate a party or hate an individual, doesn't mean you should automatically oppose an idea connected with them. That's just ignorant.

By all means, question him - but you need to sepreate him from the issue at hand.

Just because you hate a party or hate an individual, doesn't mean you should automatically oppose an idea connected with them. That's just ignorant.

People are on this thread questioning the comments O Gorman put up on twitter. And because hard leftys don't like it they get shot down. It reminds me of the old Catholic Church anyone who doesn't conform gets shot down.

People are on this thread questioning the comments O Gorman put up on twitter. And because hard leftys don't like it they get shot down. It reminds me of the old Catholic Church anyone who doesn't conform gets shot down.

What do you mean by "shot down"?

• Advertisement

So - is this thread about O'Gorman or is it about the propoised leagal change to allow 16-year-olds to change their gender?

Tbh, it reeks of finding any stupid reason to get rid of him. Cowen broke the law. O'Gorman had a lot of homophobes dig into every tweet and photo to find something to complain about. Then you had a mixture of loons, the gullible, fascists and homophobes rally to get rid of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Wait till people find out that Leo is gay.....oh the outrage

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

Cowen broke the law.
    If we're being forensic about it, Cowen doesn't seem to have been sacked because of any law that he broke.

He's being sacked because of, apparently, something recorded on Pulse that didn't actually form part of the offence that he accepted the penalty for.

Tbh, he's being sacked for much the same kind of oblique connection. The only difference being Rod actually posted a message of support for Tatchell, where Cowen didn't write the Pulse record.

And, just to be clear, I do accept the thrust of Rod's statment of explanation, and I'm happy to ignore his political doublespeak on the topic. I suspect he's a little inept, not bad.

He finds the "homophobe" route is, politically, the best cover. Because who's going to point out that no-one gives or gave a toss about Leo?

If we're being forensic about it, Cowen doesn't seem to have been sacked because of any law that he broke.

He's being sacked because of, apparently, something recorded on Pulse that didn't actually form part of the offence that he accepted the penalty for.

Tbh, he's being sacked for much the same kind of oblique connection. The only difference being Rod actually posted a message of support for Tatchell, where Cowen didn't write the Pulse record.

And, just to be clear, I do accept the thrust of Rod's statment of explanation, and I'm happy to ignore his political doublespeak on the topic. I suspect he's a little inept, not bad.

He finds the "homophobe" route is, politically, the best cover. Because who's going to point out that no-one gives or gave a toss about Leo?

Not really, he failed to address it in the dail. In the case of O'Gorman, he's addressed the tenuous link and there's no real reason for any further pursuit of the issue.

At the date of the tweet, he was nothing - not a Councillor, not a TD, not a Minister - definitely not a law maker.

Can we take it that you have never said "I'll kill ya" or similar to a mate or a sibling maybe?

Because this is at the same level - absolute clutching at straws, and fairly pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭excludedbin

The fact remains that O'Gorman has said he wasn't aware of Tatchell's leter from 1997. I don't know if it sparked outrage at the time but it is just a little bit suspicious that the photo of O'Gorman standing next to Tatchell only now has been brought up. And I don't really buy that homophobia is just a cover, considering the abuse Katherine Zappone received before him.

Linking homosexuality to paedophilia is an old piece of propaganda from homophobes so it's not that surprising they'd target a Minister for Children who's openly gay. Some people are unwilling to acknowledge the actions of bad actors in trying to smear and threaten ministers because they're gay. I'd have more respect if they at least came out and stated they agree with the mob instead of dancing around the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭VillageIdiot71

Not really, he failed to address it in the dail.
    Which breaks no law - which is what you were contending.

He broke a law, and took the penalty that went with that. And now is sacked for something that is politically bad, but breaks no law.

If you want to say that being convicted of an offence should exclude someone from office forever, that's Dessie Ellis out of a job for starters.
    In the case of O'Gorman, he's addressed the tenuous link and there's no real reason for any further pursuit of the issue.
    I'd agree there's no particular reason to revisit the fact that O'Gorman has admitted his support for Tatchell was inept, and something he did in ignorance.

Also fair enough for Mattie McGrath to ask questions over who is contributing to the framing of the school curriculum. Because that's a broader question that reflects the fact that this is a policy area with a longer and broader scope that one new Minister.

So - is this thread about O'Gorman or is it about the propoised leagal change to allow 16-year-olds to change their gender?

I think the thread is about o gorman according to the start of the thread.

• Advertisement

I think the thread is about o gorman according to the start of the thread.

Have you read the opening post?

Advertisement