Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you keep a weapon by your bed?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,418 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I knew a lady who had a baton type weapon in her bedside locker, was coated in rubber though rather than being metal or wood.
    Seemed a strange choice of material but she didn't seem comfortable talking about it when I brought it up so I'm not sure what the logic was.

Not even sure why she has it as when I asked her did she ever have to use it, she told me to fcuk off.

You should have told her to go fcuk herself.

Does anyone else worry about the fact that the lad(s) know where you live? If you did some serious damage, they can come back for round 2 at any time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

OU812 wrote: »
    Anything long like a bat or golf club isn't going to be mush use in the confines of a house/hallway/landing scenario as you need swinging room to do any damage with it.

A Garda once told me to get myself a decent mag light torch - 4 D Cells. Made of aluminium & weigh about two pounds with the batteries.

The head is bulbous (ooh matron) & provides good grip when swinging according to him & the end is nicely rounded so it will split skin and also break bone.

Hopefully never have to use it, but I sleep naked so the sight of my flabby pale body coming at them in the middle of the night swinging a torch like it was a lightsaber, should hopefully convince them to leave before having to fight.

Also have a very large dog that has full roaming of the house, so there's that too.

What is your dog called?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭guitarhappy

1) For close up work - Lock in a Sock. Boston mob boss Whitey Bulger was killed in his cell in Federal prison last year by another prisoner with a padlock in a sock.

Not sure what size, style, or color of sock is preferred...but it should swing nicely and the lock should probably be a stout one.

2) For distance work, a can of Raid, 50-foot Bee & Wasp Spray. Stronger than home self defense sprays, easy to explain.

3) LED headlamp with 1,000+ lumen strobe. Keeps both hands free, enhances your vision, and disables intruder's vision while implementing # 1 and 2.

I keep a Zebralight 18650 hanging on the bed post, comes in handy for a lot of uses.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

What is your dog called?

Defor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

2) For distance work, a can of Raid, 50-foot Bee & Wasp Spray. Stronger than home self defense sprays, easy to explain.

Sorry officer - I was just trying to get that pesky wasp with my spray when this lad happened to break in :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭ChippingSodbury

/QUOTE]

Honestly, your honour, the amount of 50-foot Bees & Wasps we get around here during the summer is desperate....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mr Meanor

Feck the guard dogs,
    I have a cat on night patrol with a history of mental illness
    angry-cat1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 24,824 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

^^^ go get me a cornetto and nobody gets hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭vikings2012

Thoughts on gas powered metal pellet guns?

Intruder might think it’s the real deal.

Magazine of 12 metal pellets can leave a fair sting, should it be necessary to use the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

You should have told her to go fcuk herself.

Does anyone else worry about the fact that the lad(s) know where you live? If you did some serious damage, they can come back for round 2 at any time.

Remove battery from phone (s). Dig large hole. Insert scumbag (s). Fill hole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭The Tetrarch

Two dogs, both 14yo who will do anything for McVities Digestive biscuits.
    If an intruder has a packet of McVities Digestives I am f*****.
    The dogs would probably help the intruder bury me for more biscuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Mr Meanor wrote: »
    Feck the guard dogs,
    I have a cat on night patrol with a history of mental illness
    angry-cat1.jpg

Ah them cats are as likely to scrape its owners face off while they sleep as attack an intruder! Our one would anyhow haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Thoughts on gas powered metal pellet guns?

Intruder might think it’s the real deal.

Magazine of 12 metal pellets can leave a fair sting, should it be necessary to use the same.

Unless you can be guaranteed to hit them somewhere it will hurt and that’s harder than you’d think then you’d do more damage throwing it at them. My idea with the blank firing was more so to frighten them with the bang and “hope” they missed the fact that nothing came out the other end 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 7,760 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Unless you can be guaranteed to hit them somewhere it will hurt and that’s harder than you’d think then you’d do more damage throwing it at them. My idea with the blank firing was more so to frighten them with the bang and “hope” they missed the fact that nothing came out the other end ��

I had a cousin who would fire a warning shotgun blast over the heads of trespassers. I don't think he was a good shot anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Wouldn't you think there would be a lot more burglars waking up in hospital with wounds from shotgun blasts , injuries from being bludgeoned over the head or more even reported missing judging from some of these posts.

Anyhow, I occasionally work with ex prisoners one of whom was a prolific burglar hitting commercial properties particularly around the Cabra/Finglas area breaking into factories at night.
    He wouldn't break into private houses but did describe how a burglar he knew would break into houses through patio doors and then go straight to the hallway leaving a chair or phone table across the bottom of stairs never going upstairs so if the homeowners came downstairs he'd hear them move the furniture giving him time to escape.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

What happens if a GSD or Rottweiler etc, savagely attack or kill an intruder?

Are they put to sleep? Can the intruder sue you? (if they survived)

Known my luck our GSD would lie on its back looking for belly rubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭SlowMotion321

Sawn off pool cue is my weapon of choice as I can't have Christopher Walken!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

micah537 wrote: »
    What happens if a GSD or Rottweiler etc, savagely attack or kill an intruder?

Are they put to sleep? Can the intruder sue you? (if they survived)

Known my luck our GSD would lie on its back looking for belly rubs.

A guard once told me "once the scumbag is laying on the path outside when we get there, he can't claim anything happened, and you can say he fell when running away"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,299 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Put a condom on the dildo before you bludgeon the bastard. Problem solved.

The retribution doesn't feel as good that way.

Wouldn't you think there would be a lot more burglars waking up in hospital with wounds from shotgun blasts , injuries from being bludgeoned over the head or more even reported missing judging from some of these posts.

Anyhow, I occasionally work with ex prisoners one of whom was a prolific burglar hitting commercial properties particularly around the Cabra/Finglas area breaking into factories at night.
    He wouldn't break into private houses but did describe how a burglar he knew would break into houses through patio doors and then go straight to the hallway leaving a chair or phone table across the bottom of stairs never going upstairs so if the homeowners came downstairs he'd hear them move the furniture giving him time to escape.

Perhaps. Then again many disappear every year some aren't missed. See the case of the body in the freezer in Galway. Nobody knew he was missing until the place changed hands.

• Advertisement

saabsaab wrote: »
    Perhaps. Then again many disappear every year some aren't missed. See the case of the body in the freezer in Galway. Nobody knew he was missing until the place changed hands.

I see your point , hundreds of householders with bodies in their freezers.

I see your point , hundreds of householders with bodies in their freezers.

Bog holes. I should have mentioned bog holes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

All these weapons mean nothing unless they're wielded by someone who wants to do harm. How many people past their teens are that eager to kill or seriously injure someone unless their blood is up, especially if they've just been woken up in the middle of the night.

Anyway you're better off dissuading burglers than pulling your plum at the fantasies of what you'd do to them. They became criminals because they're too lazy to work. Make it hard work for them and they'll just rob somewhere else that's easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭talla10

A guard once told me "once the scumbag is laying on the path outside when we get there, he can't claim anything happened, and you can say he fell when running away"

This is up there with a Garda has to give you his hat to Sh1t in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

talla10 wrote: »
    This is up there with a Garda has to give you his hat to Sh1t in

Nope.

In many situations it works. I blatantly lied by saying one of the burglars had a knife the length of his arm, which he didn't, to get off with attacking one of them with a hammer from behind.

You see, these lads are known to gardai, and judges, most of whom will take your side in this situation.

If you ever have to smash the head off someone for any reason make sure you be the one to ring the gardai first, and make sure to say that the accused threatened to 'stick you in the heart' and went for his pocket so you HAD TO defend your life by disabling him before he got a chance.

Trust me, it works every time (unless you've a violent criminal record yourself lol)

italodisco wrote: »
    Nope.

In many situations it works. I blatantly lied by saying one of the burglars had a knife the length of his arm, which he didn't, to get off with attacking one of them with a hammer from behind.

You see, these lads are known to gardai, and judges, most of whom will take your side in this situation.

If you ever have to smash the head off someone for any reason make sure you be the one to ring the gardai first, and make sure to say that the accused threatened to 'stick you in the heart' and went for his pocket so you HAD TO defend your life by disabling him before he got a chance.

Trust me, it works every time (unless you've a violent criminal record yourself lol)

How are things in the Favelas tonight?

Another case was where a store owner in a small west of Ireland town fired a shot in the general direction of a man trying to break in one night. They then ran away. They found some blood on the ground but no injuries were reported locally.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,418 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

italodisco wrote: »
    Nope.

Did the Gardai not ask where the knife was?
    1) For close up work - Lock in a Sock. Boston mob boss Whitey Bulger was killed in his cell in Federal prison last year by another prisoner with a padlock in a sock.
    Would this be in any way viable? The fact that it worked to kill someone isn't really what you're looking for here, is it?

Surely, the stick/baton idea to be able to hurt or deter or disable someone is what you're really looking for here, rather than be facing a very serious Garda investigation?

3) LED headlamp with 1,000+ lumen strobe. Keeps both hands free, enhances your vision, and disables intruder's vision while implementing # 1 and 2.

I keep a Zebralight 18650 hanging on the bed post, comes in handy for a lot of uses.

Interesting suggestions here , worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

OU812 wrote: »
    Defor

What are his favourite treats?

• Advertisement

saabsaab wrote: »
    Another case was where a store owner in a small west of Ireland town fired a shot in the general direction of a man trying to break in one night. They then ran away. They found some blood on the ground but no injuries were reported locally.

I've been hit with shotgun pellets before, I screamed my bollix off with terror and pain.

The above may or may not be true , I just want to keep up with the bollixolgy type of posts.

Advertisement