Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you keep a weapon by your bed?

Options

Comments

Could get a small fridge for bedroom, portable type like in camper vans.

Milk goes in fridge.

Electric kettle with just enough water and maybe a jug of water beside it for one's morning cuppa, nightly cup of cocoa etc; or even some herbal tea or lemsip - Wouldn't even need a fridge then as no milk requirement. Valid reasons there :)

Have bedroom door locked - might buy enough time to boil 1/2 litre or so of water and one or two mugs to hand.

Can source baseball bats after....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

I've a baseball bat under the bed too - one that I brought home from the States nearly 30 years ago.

Only time I've ever picked it up in "intruder alert" circumstances was a few years ago when my wife woke me in the middle of the night to say she was sure she'd heard noises downstairs. As I got to the top of the stairs, clad only in my boxer shorts, I remembered hearing somewhere that it's a good idea to confront an intruder in the nip, because then you'll introduce a real element of surprise to proceedings. Also, they're less likely to attack you, out of fear they might grab a handful of something.........let's say "undesirable".

So, I whipped off the shorts and proceeded downstairs as nature intended. Didn't find anybody or anything there. Was almost disappointed, as on one level, would have liked to have seen the reaction......

Hahaha, brilliant.

Same though, on a serious note. Steel baseball bat I have from the States from many years back, perched in the bedroom. I've picked it up once or twice for a late night inspection of the the abode. I would have no hesitation in smashing some bastard if they dared breaking in.

We were broken into twice at family home, once when we were there. Vividly remember being woken many years ago by my Dad thundering down the hallway giving a roar from deep inside him that scared the living **** out of me, and also the little cnuts that broke in. He chased them a few hundred meters down the road with the hurl.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

Could get a small fridge for bedroom, portable type like in camper vans.

Milk goes in fridge.

Electric kettle with just enough water and maybe a jug of water beside it for one's morning cuppa, nightly cup of cocoa etc; or even some herbal tea or lemsip - Wouldn't even need a fridge then as no milk requirement. Valid reasons there :)

Have bedroom door locked - might buy enough time to boil 1/2 litre or so of water and one or two mugs to hand.

Can source baseball bats after....

Can't remember if it was an actual case or some movie I saw about people waking up with someone standing over them with a boiling kettle of water. Always give me the shivers. Can you imagine waking up in the middle of the night hearing a kettle being boiled downstairs....When you're the only person in the house...

quokula wrote: »
    Is this a thread to show your hard man credentials or are that many people really that paranoid?

I've a lock on my door and I can call the gardai if needed. In 36 years I've never needed to. I'd imagine the stress of thinking you always need a weapon at hand would take more years off your life than the vanishingly unlikely attempt that somebody decides to break into your house and attack you for no reason.

If they're just breaking in to steal stuff (which has also never happened), then like I said, I've a lock on my door, I've got insurance, and I can call the gardai afterwards.

it's not as unlikely as you might like to believe. Also we had many family heirlooms stolen during one of our break ins, not stuff that can be replaced. It's also very disturbing to walk through your house seeing the devastation left in the wake of these scrotes.

Sortof.

It was a clarification. The courts had already ruled on the standard of defense, in DPP v Barnes. It is easy reading, and makes a lot of sense. The Oireachtas then put it into law for those who don't read court cases.

https://www.casemine.com/judgement/uk/5da044464653d077725a0b6f

To answer the question, I've a SIG P2340 in 357SIG with hollow-points in a finger-print release lockbox by the bed. But I live in the US, where that sort of thing is normal.

Ah yes, perfectly reasonable, particularly the hollow points. You really have taken to the US.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭slipperyox

Judging by the answers on this thread...
    The number of baseball bats and golf clubs, out sell the number of baseballs and golf balls by 20:1

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Boss Of Bosses

Louisville Slugger

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭1hnr79jr65

A maglight 6d and 2 large carabiners looped together with a paracord globe knot with steel ball bearing inside.

Maglight is heavy and long enough to swing and do damage, plus blind your attacker, it is not "designed" as an offensive weapon making it a legal item to use in self defense.

Same for the carabiners, use 2 large ones as they can fit your hands as improvised knuckle dusters, and the paracord globe knot will do damage too with ball bearing inside.

To improvise something yourself, i also toyed with idea of a very small zip lock bag (about size of balled fist) filled as tightly with compacted sand while closed and stuffed into the end of a sock. Can be used as a cosh/blackjack and receiver will feel like they got a smack of a rock.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭SAXA

Only a 32 inch hurl.. only had to use it once in anger when I retired from hurling... Still at my bedside

• Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

XsApollo wrote: »
    I keep my weapon in my bed.

That’s your gun, a weapon is for fighting, a gun is for fun

• Advertisement

my elderly parents keep a few golf clubs in various rooms upstairs. sad really that they have to do that. sign of the times unfortunately, but who knows when/where scum will strike.

Elderly parents with a golf club in a confined space does not make them any safer tbh

They need a full on Home Alone Style home defense system

SAXA wrote: »
    Only a 32 inch hurl.. only had to use it once in anger when I retired from hurling... Still at my bedside

For playing hurling with?

At night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

An old 1/2 inch wavin pipe with used pop rivet nails beat into it. I'm not paying one red cent to bate the kernts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I keep a special hammer beside the bed just in case of fire...it's designed to get through double glazing if needs be...that's what I'm lead to believe anyways ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Akrasia wrote: »
    For playing hurling with?

At night?

It's an emotional support hurl

• Registered Users Posts: 4,606 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

A bottle of warming lube.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,379 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Day Lewin wrote: »
    A bottle of warming lube.

Giving the burglar a warm, tingly feeling might help!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Anything long like a bat or golf club isn't going to be mush use in the confines of a house/hallway/landing scenario as you need swinging room to do any damage with it.

A Garda once told me to get myself a decent mag light torch - 4 D Cells. Made of aluminium & weigh about two pounds with the batteries.

The head is bulbous (ooh matron) & provides good grip when swinging according to him & the end is nicely rounded so it will split skin and also break bone.

Hopefully never have to use it, but I sleep naked so the sight of my flabby pale body coming at them in the middle of the night swinging a torch like it was a lightsaber, should hopefully convince them to leave before having to fight.

Also have a very large dog that has full roaming of the house, so there's that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,824 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Bat or golf club is grand unless the hallway but swinging from over your head down is the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭italodisco

All this talk of mag lights ffs, unless you're well up for a fight they're absolutely useless and 95% of you will nearly wet yourselves if you hear someone on the stairs in the middle of the night!

I had 2 junkies come in one night, me and the gf were in the attic room (single story attic converted). She woke me up and said she could hear whispering, I couldn't hear a thing.
    I got as far as the top of the stairs and fok me I was frozen when I heard them. Then the adrenalin kicked in and I crept down, picked up hammer left in the hall from work I'd been doing, ran into the kitchen and hit one of them a bit too hard in the head and other parts of the body, the other one legged it, gone like the wind.

I spent the next 4 hours in a garda station. Gave statements, got released. The guy I hit had a broken cheek and eye socket and other injuries

They tried to make out I hit him from behind which wasn't allowed haha. The thing that save me was saying that the other lad with him had a huge machete looking type knife in his hand and lifted it as soon as he saw me so I just swung like a mad man to protect myself.

Be very very careful, it's easy to end up being the one at fault even though you're technically defending the home. Only for I was quick to lie I'd have gone to court.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

I've got the worst song ever recorded (groove is in the heart) ready to go on the stereo. A quick blast of that should send any burglar running from the house screaming.

I've got the worst song ever recorded (groove is in the heart) ready to go on the stereo. A quick blast of that should send any burglar running from the house screaming.

Might have the opposite effect. Invader might be Dee-Lited to hear that choon :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

the-doberman-team-1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

Might have the opposite effect. Invader might be Dee-Lited to hear that choon :pac:

I might sing along and they will definitely start running then.

I might sing along and they will definitely start running then.

The chorus :D With a sharp instrument in your hand, they'll soon know what time it is..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Used to keep an 8mm blank firing hand gun beside the bed back when you could buy them here, pretty real looking thing and sounded 100% like a 9mm handgun when fired. The idea was when you let off the warning shot they’d think it was a real gun and flee. Never had to use it for that purpose thankfully and sold it a few years later to a mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

J Mysterio wrote: »
    it's not as unlikely as you might like to believe. Also we had many family heirlooms stolen during one of our break ins, not stuff that can be replaced. It's also very disturbing to walk through your house seeing the devastation left in the wake of these scrotes.

This

A neighbour was broken into twice in a year and eventually moved as his wife never felt safe in the house again

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

I do indeed, the wife thinks I'm mad but I have done it my entire life. A nice heavy hurl and a a baton.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭danger mouse

I keep an Sig Sauer P226 legion with three 16 round magazines of hollow tip bullets beside my bed. I wouldn't feel safe without it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,239 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Ah yes, perfectly reasonable, particularly the hollow points. You really have taken to the US.

Took a little while to adjust and research, but it makes sense around here, even if it doesn't in Ireland.

Hollow-points are pricier, but they are both more effective and safer. Ball or FMJ tends to go through more interior walls around here, they're made of drywall (think plaster sandwiched by cardboard), not brick or wood.

There's a reason most Western police forces around the world use JHP or similar purpose-designed expanding rounds (soft-tip, glaser, etc). Even if you hit the target, a 'normal' round could still go out the other side.

That you deride the use of hollow-points (I interpret your post as having a satirical/sarcastic tone) indicates to me a lack of knowledge of the subject matter.
    I keep an Sig Sauer P226 legion with three 16 round magazines of hollow tip bullets beside my bed. I wouldn't feel safe without it.

Always nice to find another SIG fan.

Advertisement