Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LIDL plus app

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭phonypony

Yeah, unfortunately this is deliberate dishonesty, no two ways about it, they hope people won't notice and just buy them. I was caught out this week with the cranberry juice too and almost with the butter cookies. Both were stacked up on the shelves, no label/price/product code cards at all on show. Luckily the person at the checkout copped the cookies and told me they weren't the ones on offer. There was a pile of cookies and cran juice on the packing shelves beyond the checkouts...

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭MB05

I redeemed one on the 23rd too so whilst I acknowledge it's possible I waited a few days to scratch the card and then redeem it I'm not sure how I got two of them in that timeframe and used them a week apart. I'd always redeem the cash ones on my next visit.

In a normal week I would shop in Lidl once, maybe twice if I needed a specific item as it's the shop closest to me. I wouldn't normally get through each of the different scratch cards let alone get duplicates of them. I did shop there a bit more in the run up to Xmas though because they had some good daily offers on.

The reason I thought it was from two separate weeks is because I got other scratch cards in that time too; one for cloudy apple juice, one for the 6 pack of crisps, and one for candy canes so I figured the 2 monetary ones were from different weeks as they usually are. I've no idea what I got when as the app only gives you the date you redeemed it and not when you got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭go4it

moving certain free items ( small candies/biscuits) at the tills instead of the shelf regular place annoys me too .

I understand that monthly rotating of the isles makes sense from the marketing point of view , to give you a tour of the shop and pick up unwanted impulse items , but moving the free app items around the shop could determine some shoppers to give up and move on...

As for the confusion on some free items -ie. only certain flavours/regular-no_sugar/etc - this 'marketing guerrilla' it's most likely done on purpose , to test one of the retail legends: our customers are smart shoppers that know where to find better value 😂

Lidl is like low cost air travelling - it gets you there , just don't expect any extras - and that's fine with me..

Overall it's not the worst of the bunch - the franchise chains ( Centra ,Supervalu ) are a hit and mostly miss when good deals are going

• Registered Users Posts: 23,414 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Cup A Soups or Cotton Wool Pads on scratchcard

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭Szero

Me too. I got caught with the Lidl cranberry juice scam too.

I find Aldi way more honest in their approach than Lidl. No nonsense promotions with no 'gotcha' tricks. But granted Lidl are way-ahead in some other respects such as self-service checkouts and digital receipts.

Post edited by Szero on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,848 ✭✭✭ozmo

Tried to redem my first win - "butter biscuits or protein balls", They had similar (gluten free) but not exact one on the ticket in stock - so had to go with protein balls or it would have expired.

They were Yuk! Like the insides of a fig roll. Not recommended!

“Roll it back”

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I got the protein balls as well. They are absolutely rank.

Jam Biscuits or Toothpaste on scratchcard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭embraer170

I also got caught with the cranberry juice scam.

It seemed misleading because the colour in the app was much closer for the sugar free juice than the normal one. I did hesitate between the two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭thesandeman

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭crayon80

To continue the cranberry juice saga.

Shelves by till had a sign saying free app items and there was regular and low sugar juice.

Low sugar didn't scan so staff member said it's not the one and SWAPPED with regular from freebie shelves 😒

I'd say it's a safe bet someone else will have picked it up after me. They definitely get undeserved hassle at times but this was just asking for trouble!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Ah lads, how hard is it to check the product code. I always do, saved me paying full price for chocolate cream liqueur when there was none of the offer Irish cream liqueur on the shelf. You learn that lesson once.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭go4it

sometimes similar products are mixed or tightly squeezed next to qualifying free items , not always by the staff - even some customers could leave any products anywhere on the shelf .

The best way to identify the right product on offer - the Lidl price tag on the shelf to contain the product's barcode as well , not only Lidl's internal SKU codes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭barneygumble99

todays win

• Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭phonypony

Pretty difficult when they've removed the price/product code card from display. That's why I think it's a deliberate tactic on their part.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Hahahaha

Yeah getting a few people to pay for those 89c cartons of juice is the perfect scam.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,520 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

• Registered Users Posts: 27,933 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Suggest leaving the free item first/last as a separate tranaction. If not free forget it.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Not much on the treats this week for me anyway. Cant imagine many people are in need of apple cider vinegar and coconut oil either.

Is 2.49 the normal price for Dairy Manor butter? I thought that was a Lidl own brand and was more like 1.90ish?

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

All the supermarket 454g blocks of butter were €2.19 for the guts of a decade or more but in the last week or so they've all increased to €2.49.

Dunnes, Tesco, SV, Lidl, Aldi...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭123654789

It's hard to check it because it's on the SEL not the product and because Lidl displays products in boxes with mixed varieties. Doesn't help that so many freebies are out of stock so you might assume the v similar product on the shelf at that location is the one you want.

ah right I didnt know that as Id only buy butter a few times a year. Was it just butter it happened or has there been increases in milk and cream as well?

Noticed in Aldi the fish mix Id buy a fair bit in winter jumped by 20 cents last week as well. The increases seem to be strategically staggered, every 3 weeks or so I notice a new one.

Pasta has ↑ from 89c/kg to €1.09/kg in Tesco. Lidl had similar advertised in their XXL leaflet range this week, but managed to keep it down to 89c/kg instore

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,742 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

No increase in milk or cream. Yet!

As you say, they're probably staggering the price hikes so as to not completely overwhelm us.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭thesandeman

If the search function worked on the new Boards I'd post a link to the Conspiracy Theories forum.

Your opinion would probably go viral there 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭newincity

No pistachio (salted one..) was available in store.. looks like this is also going to expire :(

• Advertisement

yeah saw that offer on the app, it is running till 6th Feb and the sequence is to spend 10, 10, 15, 15, 10 each week to get the freebies. Id struggle to spend 10 a week on fruit and veg so wont be availing but its a good offer for families who are spending 10 or 15 per week on fruit and veg anyway.

Advertisement