Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi e-tron

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Is it an 11 or a 12? I'm probably not looking for a new car, maybe an 18 or a 19 a6 or 5 series but I can't get my head around dealers applying higher depreciation per year on my car than a 2 or 3 year old one

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Midlakelands

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

My partner got a Q4 Sport 35 in the house over a month ago now and I thought I'd write up a couple of observations comparing it to my lowly 191 Kona.

It's very comfortable to sit in, noticeably higher. I don't think you can beat the faux leather seats I have though for clean-ability, which I'd never had before and seem to have come standard at the time for me. In my next car I will probably make sure to stick with leather (1 baby and 1 toddler in the family right now). Lots more room in the back. Mine has a nice little fold out dual cup holder on the rear middle seat, a shame to find nothing like that in the Q4. The boot is absolutely enormous, we have a big iCandy buggy with pod and you literally can't fit the pod in my boot and must take off the wheels. In the Q4 the whole lot fits without removing the wheels plus room to spare for shopping.

The steering wheel is a lovely shape. Pity it is not heated which the Kona has. The screen is nice, wide and responsive. My screen is tiny plastic junk they feel needs to beep by default with every button press to get the message across that you did in fact tap it. Over the last 3 years it is remarkable to see cars catching up to Tesla. The system menus are a little confusing but I'm sure we will get used to it. Every time you turn on the car some weird message about privacy and signing in comes up that we can't seem to get rid of. The radio is unusable if you have a specific frequency you want to listen to. You can set a specific frequency with a terrible typing / finger writing experience but I couldn't just get it to search backwards and forwards until it hears voices and stops. In the old ICE Audi we had and in the Kona it's very easy to get BBC Radio 1, I couldn't do it in this one!

The rest of the dash looks great, the dash depth is huge. It is an absolute magnet for finger prints. I very much dislike gloss everywhere for that reason. I prefer my climate controls (dials instead of buttons you have to press upside down), and my volume control (a dial instead of a silly circle you have to gently "tickle". Very annoying to turn down google maps quickly when you are listening to Spotify at the same time). Definitely get used to it I'm sure. Overall it looks great though and the front instrument cluster is nice as well. At the moment I would like the remaining battery % to be a little more obvious - I suspect Audi reckon their GOM is more important and they are probably right. In a few years time I don't think % remaining will be as prominently displayed as it is right now in other cars - when you have a 200kwh battery who cares if it's on 70% or 60%. They have made a decision to not reveal to outsiders the state of the battery when it's charging, so when it's plugged in you don't know if it's at 10 or 90. I think other cars will follow suit.

The charging port is very nicely done and can't be distinguished from a petrol cover which is nice, better position than on the front of the car. No silly little flimsy plastic hat I have on my socket under the cover. I would have liked it to light up on opening like mine does, right now plugging it in in pitch black I have to use a torch. The reason I am plugging it in in the pitch black is because there is no scheduled charging right now (we have a dumb Garo charger). I could not believe that, and it was miscommunicated by the dealer to us ("sure yeah it's all in the app there"). There seems to be no remote unlocking either, and so the app is generally useless (and buggy). I don't have even have an app to compare so can't complain too much about that.

The car has a weird unlock mechanism I have not worked out or bothered to read about. Suffice to say I seem to need to press unlock at least 3 times to get into the car. I also miss the door handle button unlock thing the Kona has. We got a tow bar which will be great to try out when we get a trailer shortly. The lights do not auto-dip, and the rear windows were not tinted as standard. Apparently you can wash the rear camera but I have not worked out how to do that either.

All in all I think it's a brilliant car but Audi really seem to strip out a lot of minor features unless you pay the full amount (how much does a bloody heating cable in the steering wheel cost!), or perhaps the spec of the Kona which a lot of people complained about at the time due to the Paddy-spec without adaptive cruise control, is actually quite generous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

there is a setting to open all doors on single press instead of just the drivers door in there somewhere

Great review. From what I am hearing the user privacy warning on the startup screen is a registration bug related to the q4 having a new way to register your myaudi/personal user account. Apparently that and the ability to schedule an overnight charge are coming in an update being released in week 47. There's a picture on some of the other forums (in german) listing what's coming I believe. I'll put it here if I find it

• Advertisement

Here's the slide from earlier in the year with a google lens translation...

(Edit) looks like the remote locking is not in the week 47 uodate

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Made enquiries about a new 2022 etron advanced this past few days

80 k

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭thunderbolt

• Registered Users Posts: 19,891 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

presume thats a Etron 50 advance, that means a sport is 85k and a s line is 90k and add another 10 or 15 each for a 55.

My 2020 50 sport was 85k retail (with metallic paint, black pack, privacy glass and a few other bits) and then 10k came off for the grants and negotiated some discount too, its fair to say its a bit pricier now 😔

advance is the entry line. Had you specced upgraded wheels or anything on that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

• Registered Users Posts: 21,666 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

At what? I'd prefer the Ioniq 5 to a glorified Skoda with no AWD

Tested the Q4 e-Tron (Audi North Dublin) and Ioniq 5 today. I’m coming from a C-HR so this will be my first electric car.

The e-Tron was a lovely drive, super responsive. I was expecting it to be nicer looking in person to be honest. The two colors that were there (Geyser Blue and Navarra Blue) weren’t really to my taste. Really like the the high-up seating position. Unfortunately, you get very little for €60K (to be applicable for the grant) in comparison to other cars. I added on a heat pump and the pack with driver assist (no leather seats, no electric boot/tailgate, etc.) and there was zero wiggle room to add anything else to bring it under the €60K (even if it brought it over by only €100). Granted….it’s an Audi but I thought they’d be a little more flexible.

The Ioniq 5 was a lovely drive too. Really zippy car (electric is so different to a car with an ICE!). Love the open interior. For the Premium Plus you’re getting so much kit in comparison to the Q4 e-Tron e.g. leather seats, driver assist (blind spot monitor etc.), electronic tailgate, electric seats, heated seats, Bose speakers, etc. The seating position is a little bit lower but still not too low.

Going to test drive an Enyaq too, but it’s looking like I’ll be going for an Ioniq 5 at this point. Much better value in my opinion.

Ah! Apols, I thought it might have been the Q4 e-Tron 40

Post edited by thunderbolt on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

The 50 in the original body is being discontinued. New deliveries are only available specced as 55’s. They’ve also reduced the price of the 55.

That's interesting! So you can get a 50 sb but not original?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Bmw and Mercedes have both publicly stated they will be doing less of their cheaper models in the future due to manufacturing constraints and just maximising profit per vehicle sold, in effect going back to more of a premium business model. Audi of course will be subject to same constraints so may be the reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭carsfan2

I guess the Q4 Etron 40 makes the larger 50 model redundant.

how much have they brought price of the 55 down? Not much I guess and who knows what the budget will do

• Advertisement

Not sure about that, big size difference between the two, I doubt they will sell too many q4 50s

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

Yep thats what the sales guy said. New pricing is on Audi.ie allegedly.

55 sport is now 82,350, if i recall correctly the 50 sport retailed at 80k or something like that so its a big decrease on the 55, battery yields must be better or something?

If you were spec'ing one now Cyrus what would you go for? Blackpack only available on Sline now by all accounts.

Post edited by AmberGold on

i have done it a few times recently

id go Sline 55 in Navarra blue (i prefer daytona grey actually but i like the blue and my current one is typhoon grey) with the black pack and black roof bars with the upgraded 21" wheels with the black inner bits (not explaining it very well), this basically!

Dayonta looks good aswell, in fact all the colours would be ok bar the siam beige with the spec above imo

Those wheels are a great option for little extra. The 22's would be a nightmare to keep.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Buz087

Enquired about the lead-time for the Q4 40 S-line…..July and that is not even guaranteed.

• Advertisement

Maybe aim for one of the dealer pre-speccd cars? I found a q4 40 advance for just under the amount for the gov grant and grabbed it. Currently on a boat from emden port apparently. Would admit that it's a pretty basic spec but for me coming from a 10 year old car it'll still be a big improvement

Advertisement