Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump Presidency discussion Thread VIII (threadbanned users listed in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,210 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Nobody claimed George Floyd was a saint, and it doesn't make his life any less so. But I suspect some here couldn't understand that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭enno99

pixelburp wrote: »
    Anyone wearing a mask, regardless of political affiliation, is an idiot but whataboutery to score points doesn't really advance the discussion either. However it becomes relevant if and when the person these crowds are out to support is someone who wilfully underplayed the crisis. As proven by recent revelations thanks to audio interviews as widely publicised. Ideological purity test as a gotcha is a particularly disingenuous tactic.

Joe Biden got slammed for causing panic last time H1NI
    Brennan pointed out that the Spanish flu — the deadliest pandemic in U.S. history — was an H1N1 strain. “It made their eyebrows go up,” Brennan says now, recalling Biden’s reaction in particular.

“‘Listen, we need to be aggressive early on this,’” Biden announced, according to Brennan.

The next week, Biden made good on his pledge — and set off a deluge of criticism. In an interview on NBC’s “Today,” Biden said he wouldn’t advise his family to fly on planes or ride the subway.

“I wouldn’t go anywhere in confined places right now," Biden said. "It’s not that it’s going to Mexico, it’s that you are in a confined aircraft. When one person sneezes, it goes everywhere through the aircraft.”

Airlines angrily accused Biden of fearmongering. Media reports noted that Biden’s pessimism contrasted sharply with the reassurances President Barack Obama had given a day earlier, when he said there was no need to panic even as he declared a national health emergency. In a matter of hours, Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano and Deputy Secretary of State Jack Lew were summoned to the White House and assigned to clean up the mess Biden made: “Nip it in the bud,” LaHood said, recalling their instructions.

By 4 p.m., the three officials were hosting a news conference and backing away from the vice president’s words.

The snafu was the first of many scrambles and setbacks by the Obama administration in its initial response to the swine flu. POLITICO interviewed almost two dozen people, including administration officials, members of Congress and outsiders who contended with the administration’s response, and they described a litany of sadly familiar obstacles: vaccine shortfalls, fights over funding and sometimes contradictory messaging.

“It is purely a fortuity that this isn’t one of the great mass casualty events in American history,” Ron Klain, who was Biden’s chief of staff at the time, said of H1N1 in 2019. “It had nothing to do with us doing anything right. It just had to do with luck. If anyone thinks that this can’t happen again, they don’t have to go back to 1918, they just have to go back to 2009, 2010 and imagine a virus with a different lethality, and you can just do the math on that.”

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/04/joe-biden-contain-h1n1-virus-232992

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Detritus70

Roger Stone saying something does not mean Donald Trump said something.

A fact that seems to be "forgotten "

I'm sorry, but this is ludicrous. Your post leaves two conclusions.
    A: You have no idea who Roger Stone is
    Or
    B: You post is disingenuous.
    Either way, this post puts me in mind of Leslie Nielsen standing in front of a burning fireworks factory, going "nothing to see here".
    I don't accept your argument and neither will any sane person.

"I'm not a Trump supporter, but..." is the new "I'm not a racist, but...".

Water John wrote: »
    Nobody claimed George Floyd was a saint, and it doesn't make his life any less so. But I suspect some here couldn't understand that.

No but should he be a martyr plenty of other black lives snuffed out

he was convenient BLM matters every 4 years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Detritus70 wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but this is ludicrous. Your post leaves two conclusions.
    A: You have no idea who Roger Stone is
    Or
    B: You post is disingenuous.
    Either way, this post puts me in mind of Leslie Nielsen standing in front of a burning fireworks factory, going "nothing to see here".
    I don't accept your argument and neither will any sane person.

It's not an argument it's a fact. Stone said it Trump didn't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭LessOutragePlz

Clinton got far more votes than Trump, iirc.

It seems like this money will be targeted towards swing states, which is where some think Clinton's campaign made some serious errors. Makes sense, given what happened last time, the fact that the difference between the two won't be as stark as it is now.

She sure did get far more votes than Trump and most of those votes were from one particular state which was California where she got 4,269,978 more votes than Trump.

It's not a fact, it's an argument. Anyway, your point being?
    You have no idea who Roger Stone is I bet.

She sure did get far more votes than Trump and most of those votes were from one particular state which was California where she got 4,269,978 more votes than Trump.

She lost all the same so money dont assure victory

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,988 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

enno99 wrote: »
    Joe Biden got slammed for causing panic last time H1NI

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/05/04/joe-biden-contain-h1n1-virus-232992

So? I don't doubt he and Obama made mistakes during that crisis but if you're trying to draw linear equivalence between the two men, Biden still comes out as the individual better equipped. Bidens own rhetoric during CoVid has (generally) been sober and responsible. Far from flawless (an early interview had him coughing into his hands, to the interviewers chagrin) but better. That's the metric here. Not purity tests as you seem to be aiming at.

Hell by your example Biden has prior experience, his personality indicates some capacity for contrition, so sounds the right choice, however blotted the copybook is. But again, this is just whataboutery. Few here would be under the illusion this election is anything beyond another "least worse choice". Biden is a corporate democrat, yet still better than the flailing mess of Trump. Says a great deal about the state of US democracy but when it's stuck at the bottom being better than someone worse is "good enough".

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,988 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So you're wilfully missing the point. Parroting "it's a fact" like there's any meaning behind it beyond some glib reduction. You do know who Roger Stone is right? Why his words might carry some weight relative to the election? You've had the relevance pointed out to you already so continuing this argument betrays bad faith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

https://twitter.com/i/status/1304932801649623040

Voter fraud is the only way Biden can win

Tell me more about Trump’s paid actors.

https://twitter.com/brooke_af/status/1304978044549988352?s=21

• Registered Users Posts: 11,572 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

Toeuptony wrote: »
    Roger Stone recommending to Trump that he invoke martial law following the election if he doesn't believe the result is fair, which he won't.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/sep/13/roger-stone-to-donald-trump-bring-in-martial-law-if-you-lose-election

A recommendation from a convicted felon to the president on future options in case the public don't vote to keep said president in the job while he's waiting for a pardon from his buddy - Like you, I cant see people taking him seriously.

So you're wilfully missing the point. Parroting "it's a fact" like there's any meaning behind it beyond some glib reduction. You do know who Roger Stone is right? Why his words might carry some weight relative to the election? You've had the relevance pointed out to you already so continuing this argument betrays bad faith

I think that particular poster wanted to share with us that he read the article and was able to deduce that it was about Roger Stone and that Roger Stone is a different person than Donald Trump, which does in fairness take primary school reading comprehension and logic, so I say he's rightfully proud of himself.

So? I don't doubt he and Obama made mistakes during that crisis but if you're trying to draw linear equivalence between the two men, Biden still comes out as the individual better equipped. Bidens own rhetoric during CoVid has (generally) been sober and responsible. Far from flawless (an early interview had him coughing into his hands, to the interviewers chagrin) but better. That's the metric here. Not purity tests as you seem to be aiming at.

Hell by your example Biden has prior experience, his personality indicates some capacity for contrition, so sounds the right choice, however blotted the copybook is. But again, this is just whataboutery. Few here would be under the illusion this election is anything beyond another "least worse choice". Biden is a corporate democracy, yet still better than the flailing mess of Trump. Says a great deal.

Your missing the point the science wasnt in agreement with trump
    maybe he should of went with his gut he turned out to be right#
    (but im convinced they all knew) otherwise Fauchi is useless bloggers youtubers were saying it was airborne way before he conceded it was

and you can hear him and others telling people on 26th 29th febuary that its not really bad but could get worse fast
    even telling everyone schools etc to dust off their pandemic prep

Fauchi WHO CDC Brix All telling the media april /may that there wasnt enough evidence to say it was airborne ( can supply links if you want)
    they only changed their tune when masks became more plentiful
    See how it went you cant tell people its airborne but dont use masks leave them for frontline workers Not going to happen Panic across the country all supplies food etc severely impacted

But its a nice stick to beat trump with now the media love it until something pops up

No but should he be a martyr plenty of other black lives snuffed out

he was convenient BLM matters every 4 years

A person being a martyr because they were a victim of a job unjust killing by law enforcement. Yes, he should be. The very fact that black communities cannot trust law enforcement is horrifying.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,174 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Your missing the point the science wasnt in agreement with trump

Umm...Trump said (per Woodward's tapes) he *knew* it was going to be much worse. He'd spoken with President Ji about it.

And he played it down. Said it was just going to go away. So, my head's spinning at this point - what was Trump's gut telling him when he said, it's just like a miracle going to go away after he heard its really bad, worse than the flu, and maybe airborne?

Trump knew. Of that there is no doubt.

fullstop wrote: »
    Tell me more about Trump’s paid actors.

https://twitter.com/brooke_af/status/1304978044549988352?s=21

Lol Really getting desperate now

Detritus70 wrote: »
    It's not a fact, it's an argument. Anyway, your point being?
    You have no idea who Roger Stone is I bet.

Roger Stone made the comment about marshall law. These comments are his and his alone.
    He is not a current member of the trump administration nor is he a spokesperson for Donald Trump.

He has a past relationship with Trump but his comments are irrelevant

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Roger Stone made the comment about marshall law. These comments are his and his alone.
    He is not a current member of the trump administration nor is he a spokesperson for Donald Trump.

Trump has mentioned disputing the election results many times, now other members of his circle are mentioning, but of course Occam's Razor and this is all a coincidence

• Registered Users Posts: 14,093 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

He has a past relationship with trump, a present relationship with trump and a future relationship with trump. His comments are only irrelevant when you decide you will post disingenuously, so I understand why they are to you.

These comments from the man himself from last night, and not for the first time of course

"We are going to win four more years in the White House and then after that we'll negotiate, right, because we’re probably, based on the way we were treated, we’re probably entitled to another four after that," he said.

Is he responsible for his own comments anymore? I forget sometimes

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Advertisement

Have you said anything about Trump telling his voters to commit fraud?

He has a past relationship with trump, a present relationship with trump and a future relationship with trump. His comments are only irrelevant when you decide you will post disingenuously, so I understand why they are to you.

These comments from the man himself from last night, and not for the first time of course

"We are going to win four more years in the White House and then after that we'll negotiate, right, because we’re probably, based on the way we were treated, we’re probably entitled to another four after that," he said.

Is he responsible for his own comments anymore? I forget sometimes

My posts are related to Stones comments regarding Marshall law should Trump lose the election.

My point is that these comments were made by Stone not Trump. There seems to be a push to say well if Stone said it then Trump might do it.

Which is clearly ridiculous

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,966 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

well Trump has already stated that the only way he could lose the election is because it's rigged, so this is just another step to him desperately clinging to power.
    Trump promises two more terms at Nevada rally

Preaching to the choir. Because talk like that can't attract undecideds can it ?

Trump promises two more terms at Nevada rally

Preaching to the choir. Because talk like that can't attract undecideds can it ?

He says that at every rally its a dig at the fake news media
    Bright sparks at RTE fell for it

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Toeuptony

https://twitter.com/i/status/1304932801649623040

Voter fraud is the only way Biden can win

What is the attraction of attending one of his events? Even pre-covid you'd spend a good portion of the day penned in waiting for the event, only to be admitted to hear the inane ramblings of a senile lunatic, repeat taking points and bald faced lies that he has said countless times before.

Now, there's the added risk of catching the virus from one of the maskless antivaxers attending the event, when you can just watch it from the comfort of your own home. It beggars belief.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

##Mod Note##

enno99 will be taking an extended break from the forum

Trump has been seen to regularly repeat conspiracy theories that he has seen on Fox News, Breitbart and other right wing sources that he doesn't have a direct relationship with. Do you honestly believe that a comment such as this from a friend and previous campaign advisor won't have any impact on his thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,210 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Trump listed the Fox News programmes he had watched since the previous day. It totalled 7 hours. It now has become just a loop. Add on the other lunatics in the mix.

Toeuptony wrote: »
    Trump has been seen to regularly repeat conspiracy theories that he has seen on Fox News, Breitbart and other right wing sources that he doesn't have a direct relationship with. Do you honestly believe that a comment such as this from a friend and previous campaign advisor won't have any impact on his thinking?

I don't see why it would to be honest. It's not something small is it. Bringing in martial law if he doesn't get reelected

Plus if he loses the election he isnt president anymore. He cant do anything.

• Advertisement

I don't see why it would to be honest. It's not something small is it. Bringing in martial law if he doesn't get reelected

This is the man who had peaceful protestors gassed and assaulted outside the white house, so he could stage an awkward photo op at the local church (of all places). Nothing is off the table for 45.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement