Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nespresso. Free machine. No subscription

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

Why they couldn't bring out the same range of coffees for the Vertuo, is beyond me.

I like the Fortissio Lungo, but it's not available for the Vertuo. That put me off the recent offer.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭torrevieja

just as a matter of interest anybody here have a favourite of there coffee pods,

Maybe someone can set up a poll

so far i have had 4 different ones nothing jumping out yet:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭leanin2019

garrettod wrote: »
    Why they couldn't bring out the same range of coffees for the Vertuo, is beyond me.

I like the Fortissio Lungo, but it's not available for the Vertuo. That put me off the recent offer.

That is a terrible shame.

Perhaps though there is a flavour of the Vertuo that you like but you haven't tried it yet?

But if you like Fortissio Lungo that much, then you must be content to stick with the original machine??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭garrettod

leanin2019 wrote: »
    That is a terrible shame.

Perhaps though there is a flavour of the Vertuo that you like but you haven't tried it yet?

But if you like Fortissio Lungo that much, then you must be content to stick with the original machine??

Hi,

How do I try the various Vertuo, without the appropriate machine?

My machine is old, starting to leak and given the amount that I've spent with Nespresso, I think I deserve a lot better than a crap 20% - 25% discount.

Thanks,

G.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,604 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

I think this offer is now over ? Couldn't find it on the site this morning

• Advertisement

Seems to be gone yeah.

Looks like they are launching a new machine.. "Nespresso Vertuo Next" so possibly they were shifting machines

garrettod wrote: »
    Hi,

How do I try the various Vertuo, without the appropriate machine?

My machine is old, starting to leak and given the amount that I've spent with Nespresso, I think I deserve a lot better than a crap 20% - 25% discount.

From 29 Flavours you could have gotten something you like, maybe?

22 Standard Flavour (does not include 5 "barista creations" and 2 "master origin" blends):

3cc5f52ed066803bc0ca5dc97a68a1a8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Anyone else think the Vertuo coffees come out a lot messier? When i make a lungo with the old machine it comes out with a perfect crema that almost looks like something in their ads. But my new vertuo is a bit too frothy by contrast and looks pretty unappealing in the mug.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Anyone else think the Vertuo coffees come out a lot messier? When i make a lungo with the old machine it comes out with a perfect crema that almost looks like something in their ads. But my new vertuo is a bit too frothy by contrast and looks pretty unappealing in the mug.

Yeah the new system seems to be designed to give the maximum amount of crema they can possibly squeeze out of it but its not to my taste so I'm sticking with the old system. I've seen plenty that could be mistaken for a glass of Guinness - don't get the attraction of it at all.

JohnK wrote: »
    Yeah the new system seems to be designed to give the maximum amount of crema they can possibly squeeze out of it but its not to my taste so I'm sticking with the old system. I've seen plenty that could be mistaken for a glass of Guinness - don't get the attraction of it at all.

I'm glad its not just me. I'm holding on to my old one anyway, might sell on this one once i've used up the pods. Not convinced the vertuo pods are worth the extra cost compared to the original line to be honest, i've only directly compared one colombia pod from each line and the vertuo was marginally nicer but only very marginal. I'm not at all interested in the barista creations or any of that stuff, i either have an espresso or a lungo so not sure the vertuo is meant for me.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If you only want espresso or lungo then the old system will always make more sense. The main benefit of the new system is the larger cup sizes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

awec wrote: »
    The main benefit of the new system is the larger cup sizes.

Absolutely, that's why I like the Vertuo.

Bigger pods, bigger cup, the coffee is hotter and it costs less, as I had to use two capsules to get a mug size before.
    Drink mine, at work out out of the free Nespresso travel cups, so the looks of the crema or frothiness is irrelevant, cos I can't see it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭aisling86

My OH absolutely loves the new machine. I am still torn. Very different taste to the smaller pods. I do prefer a latte so maybe this is the issue. Going to use the double espresso pods later to see if I prefer them. Reckon I just need a giant travel mug and I'll be fine.

aisling86 wrote: »
    My OH absolutely loves the new machine. I am still torn. Very different taste to the smaller pods. I do prefer a latte so maybe this is the issue. Going to use the double espresso pods later to see if I prefer them. Reckon I just need a giant travel mug and I'll be fine.

Different taste in what way? Does it taste watery?

Different taste in what way? Does it taste watery?

Slightly but I cant put my finger on it exactly. Maybe it's the lack of milk in proportion to the coffee vs what I was used to

folks just wondering if i want to make a latette or cappuchino which is the coffee i should use?

Also folks can you say here which of the coffee flavours you really like and which you like least

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Dr. Steve Brule

Stormio & Melozio are nice. I'm going to give some of the 150ml pods a go tomorrow and see how they compare.

torrevieja wrote: »
    folks just wondering if i want to make a latette or cappuchino which is the coffee i should use?

Also folks can you say here which of the coffee flavours you really like and which you like least

I think for cappucino and latte you'd be looking at the mug sized coffees.

A cappucino is a shot or double shot of espresso topped up with warm milk and a froth head. The mug sizes are just large coffees, similar to an americano or instant coffee. Not sure about Lattes but i believe its broadly similar layers albeit with different ratios.

Fortado is my favourite so far of a very small sample size, its a lungo size (150ml).

I think for cappucino and latte you'd be looking at the mug sized coffees.

any particular flavours

• Advertisement

A cappucino is a shot or double shot of espresso topped up with warm milk and a froth head. The mug sizes are just large coffees, similar to an americano or instant coffee. Not sure about Lattes but i believe its broadly similar layers albeit with different ratios.

Fortado is my favourite so far of a very small sample size, its a lungo size (150ml).

thanks the one flavour i didnt get

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

For what it's worth and that's probably nothing, some dude here who claims he is

"A keen cook and a self-professed coffee snob"

reviews the Vertuo capsules

https://www.trustedreviews.com/best/best-nespresso-vertuo-pods-capsules-rated-and-reviewed-3623671

then again he highly rates the "Hazelino" ones, while I have decided they are for my next house guests. :D

Another review of the capsules here:

https://www.drippedcoffee.com/nespresso-vertuoline-pods-and-capsules/

I like to add some low calorie hot chocolate to make a mocha.

Tesco brand or Cabburys Highlights I found mixes best. 40 calories so not so bad and makes a delicious hot chocolately coffee if mixed with milk too.

If its low fat milk your using then overall its not TOO bad of a treat depending on your energy requirements!

I like most of the flavours but steer away from the likes of hazelino or vanillzo, too much sweetness in them for me, not sure how to describe it. Doesnt seem like coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

I dont know does it matter too much which coffee you use for these as you will be putting so much milk into it the taste will be well diluted. I use the double espresso for cappuccinos, add the the same volume again of warm milk and same again of froth so a third of each.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Buddy97mm

lau1247 wrote: »
    The classic capsule Krup Essenza Mini is back to 60 Eur in Argos and the 100 free capsule offer is still going (plus 1 month subscription). Making the coffee machine effectively costing about 20 Eur or so (?).

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/7097133/Trail/searchtext%3ENESPRESSO+ESSENZA.htm

https://www.nespresso.com/ie/en/offers/summer-promotion

Might come in handy for some.

Just to flag this seems to be gone back up to 74.99 in Argos. I had received a gift of a virtual €60 master card which I had hoped to use to buy this in Argos, but too late.

Subsequently found it for sale at £49.99 with Amazon prime (under €60 which was my main issue and thankfully the day before my last day of 30 day prime trial)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MZANEBC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Seems to give same 100 free capsules and 1 month free subscription.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭lau1247

Buddy97mm wrote: »
    Just to flag this seems to be gone back up to 74.99 in Argos. I had received a gift of a virtual €60 master card which I had hoped to use to buy this in Argos, but too late.

Subsequently found it for sale at £49.99 with Amazon prime (under €60 which was my main issue and thankfully the day before my last day of 30 day prime trial)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MZANEBC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Seems to give same 100 free capsules and 1 month free subscription.

Yep, sometimes got to move fast on a good deal ;)

On the claim, 100 capsules (preselected) and the 1 month subscription free is essentially 30 Eur worth that you can use to buy capsules off them (They will charge 1 euro when you activate it but give you 3 euro free so total is 34 Euro worth).

Only annoying thing is that you have to order them in multiple of 50 capsules from what saw on the site, so that 34 euro will be enough for more than 50 but not enough for 100 meaning you need to spend a little more.. all in all, not too bad, still a good deal.

West Dublin, ☀️ 7.83kWp ⚡5.66 kWp South West, ⚡2.18 kWp North East

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

lau1247 wrote: »
    Yep, sometimes got to move fast on a good deal ;)

On the claim, 100 capsules (preselected) and the 1 month subscription free is essentially 30 Eur worth that you can use to buy capsules off them (They will charge 1 euro when you activate it but give you 3 euro free so total is 34 Euro worth).

Only annoying thing is that you have to order them in multiple of 50 capsules from what saw on the site, so that 34 euro will be enough for more than 50 but not enough for 100 meaning you need to spend a little more.. all in all, not too bad, still a good deal.

Yep, know what you mean... got the €34 credit too and then saw in checkout that was only in multiples of 50....
    Only had to add €5 more to complete order, not bad at all :)

• Advertisement

Got a track and trace notification today. Didnt order anything since my machine. Roll on Monday! I'll be dying to see what they are randomly sending me!

Advertisement