Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ ONE, 2, Junior, and Player

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Perfect VMTV / TV3 / Commerical fodder. RTÉ's only daytime show is on holidays for the next 4 months, while RTÉ news and CA will start short days over the next few weeks, if RTÉ were actually spending good money on prime time content it might be forgivable but they are not. It's not just because its Silly Season.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

I see that RTÉ ONE and RTÉ2 in the afternoons are now providing the same type of programming. Celebrity Bake Off V Masterchef from 3:30.

Is this just for the month of auguest and when News2day returns TRTÉ will resume until 4:30. Or are they slowly edging it out of the schedules. I know Children don't watch TV, that isn't this issue the issue is the act and section 103.

______

Yesterday

Clearly out to sell themselves to the public.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭deezell

MOD - Post deleted and poster warned - post totally out of order.

Post edited by icdg on

• Registered Users Posts: 10,270 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Jesus. The conspiracy theory forum is over here:

Post edited by icdg on

• Advertisement

I was quoting John Brennan. "The Kerry hotelier wrote a highly critical open letter to RTÉ’s director general condemning him for the “public execution” of Ryan Tubridy......the At Your Service star accused Kevin Bakhurst of humiliating Tubridy and collapsing contract negotiations to warn others within the organisation ".

The second bit was a metaphor for the autocratic management style which offended John, who knows a thing or two about people management.

And don't call me Jesus!

So it looks like RTÉ are releasing details on a daily basis, I wonder what's happing in RTÉ for them to spread the autumn launch over the next few weeks!

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Danish Daddy

Because of Neighbors returning next week, Shortland Street is dropped from the RTE TWO schedule completely, (It also returns to Midday & 4am on RTE ONE) whoever doing up the roster must have forgotten that Shortland Street had joined the RTE TWO teatime schedule a year or more before Neighbors was axed.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

Yes back to the old when it is on at a different time everyday.

I'd have thought they would have taken the oppertunity to move home and away to 7pm with Neighbours moving to 6:30.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Danish Daddy

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Kim_Lee

Why do they waste The Simpsons by showing it at around 4pm . I'd have the Simpsons on 7 to 8 and I'd buy in American Dad and Family Guy and have them on 8 till 10

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Taken from the Indo:

Mr Bakhurst said RTE would be cutting costs on the RTE Player as well as on outside broadcasts. “There are limited levers I can pull, but I am pulling every lever I can to conserve cash.”

Cutting costs on rte player, he must have never used it

He's unwilling to really examine costs.

Their budget for "Today with Dathi and Maura" needs to be examined, here's a costly daytime show that take a break for 4 months, its clearly not needed or it clearly needs a reduced budget or a 52 week run.

2FM budget should also be examined but I doubt they will do this either.

No real change is going to occur.

______

Yesterday

Just to mention that RTÉ KIDS is slowly being used on some branding, I think it started at Christmas. TRTÉ is still in use but RTÉ2 idents during programming.

______

Yesterday

AERTEL to close on 12 October 2023.

Interesting how RTÉ choose a screen capture of Aertel Analogue rather than Digital Aertel.

I think this is just 2 aspects of the over all Strategy 2024 that will actually happen, the other being the move of the NSO.

Can't see sport making its way to RTÉ ONE.

Lack of support technology available for Aertel, a limited legacy text service. Many technical components in the Aertel systems are no longer supported by the manufacturer, with further elements losing support later this year. The technology required to deliver the Aertel service has limited availability and is not supported on many newer TVs or set top boxes.

Is this true?

______

Yesterday

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

As far as the WST version (still a digital service despite being broadcast over analogue TV) yes, the only platform it is still carried on is Sky, and even to access it via Sky you need an STB that’s old enough to have a Scart output and to have it actually connected via Scart to your TV that’s also old enough to have a Scart input.

It probably isn’t true of the MHEG-5 service on Saorview mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

If anyone has the Digital version of Aertel on their Saorview TV's or STB's that support it; it actually has that press release up for it's closure on the 12th of October. The press release is on page 700. It appears to imply that all versions of Aertel will close down on that date.

Strange they are replacing Home And Away with Shortland Street as Home and Away takes a break.

______

Yesterday

I don't think RTÉ are that joined up in there thinking. They went to tender with in after that AFAIR. They would have been better of spending that small amount of money on developing the look of the channel.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement

It is probably inevitable that broadcast media in its current form will dissappear altogether in the future, to be replaced entirely by streamed consumption over telecom channels, fibre and 4/5G, and perhaps some version of satellite. If you consume your 'radio" in your car via android auto, Spotify or Tune in, and your viewing at home from Players, Disney, Netflix etc, then the future is already here.

I witnessed the opening and the closing of the 405 line analogue TV service, watched the screen blank as they turned off the 625 line analogue, tuned in for the end of Medium wave, and the Long wave services, and just recently sat and waited for the Aertel to vanish.

Oddly though, my analogue pulse dial telephone still works, but this is an anomaly, there are no strowger exchanges in operation, in this case my router provides the analogue termination and the virtual landline on Voip. I thing Eircom still supply this landline virtually also, at the premises, but there are no dial pulsed PSTN technologies in use.

Its a bit like the Saorview tuner built into a scart plug I have that can supply RTE to an old analogue portable TV set that still (just about) displays images. Neither used for years, but I can't bring myself to bin it. It's crazy how a daily used technology like VHS can become a museum piece in barely 25 years. I have a working cassette tape player still on a mini music centre, these tend to die from age when rubber drive components perish and break. A cassette has sat in it for countless years now, appropriately, a cheap KTel Horslips compilation.

We've seen extraordinary progress really, yet the Russians are fighting a war with some machine guns designed in 1906. Butchers tools haven't changed It seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AJB39

It

All that may be true, but it’s still vital that Irish public service broadcasting is part of the streaming landscape and it’s vital that it’s funded properly.

It will remain I've no doubt, but its delivery will be very much different, and it's structures may well change, with the various public service genres independently funded and delivered without a single 'national' overseer or branded broadcast network, but perhaps hosted by third party streaming services who might bid for the content, or contract to supply it. Thus publicly funded free to air content could have one or many homes.

A look at media consumption habits of the present upcoming generations gives us a glimpse into the future, and I don't see that as being material broadcast once live to 6 million but consumed by only a few tens of thousands. Nor do I envisage consumers having to sign up to 7 or 8 streaming services, rather delivery services will emerge that might well be like a pick n mix, like smart channel hopping of your determined preferences. AI driven no doubt. 'RTE' might well exist, but be completely different for any given user, as it tailors it's output based on your profile. I'll probably be senile by then, so I'm not too worried.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I wondered why RTE hadn’t had a launch for their Christmas schedule this year and now having seen it I wonder no more; they’ve cancelled Christmas! Well not quite, but the only new RTE produced programme (not news) between Christmas Eve and Christmas Day is Fair City, sandwiched between a ton of films. Even the Christmas Eve Carols have bitten the dust. Stephen’s Day is only saved by the sport otherwise it’s pretty much the same.

On the plus side they are running the Late Late Show on New Years Eve, which they’ve tended to not do much for in recent years.

They had a bit of a Christmas schedule. I am assuming the Irish Hidden Camera show was a repeat, though it was due to get a full season run.

______

Yesterday

Operation Mortification returns for more fat shaming. According to the Indo they can't get a sponsor for the 'show'. It no longer seems to be enough to be just obese and willing to shame yourself, perhaps in the fun self deprecating way that we all often do about our perceived shortcomings to our friends and family, like the cluttered house, the smoking habit, the serial driving test fails etc. No, with OT you now need a misery angle. Tragedy, cancer, parkinsons or downs syndrome children or some catastrophe that was responsible for your comfort eating and obesity. Just being fat but happy doesn't cut it. Ugh.

It was largely supported by HSE's HI programme over the years, they pulled out last year over concerns that people might lose weight.

______

Yesterday

RTÉ News had The Best FIFA Awards 2023 on last night.

What is noticeable about is that RTÉ remove the tickers for such shows, showing that even they agree that the tickers aren't valuable to anyone.

And then their is the DOG/BUG if you were to be strict on DOG/BUG RTÉ News's one would be the same size and transparency as ONE and 2, but its smaller and more transparent, if only RTÉ ONE and 2 could follow RTÉ News.

But if it is a news channel surely RTÉ during the show could have the news logo with the time and also a ticker on the bottom of the screen.

Either way their decision about the RTÉ News channel on non-news programmes shows that they themselves have issues with the look of the channel.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
Advertisement