Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ ONE, 2, Junior, and Player

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

Notice that, is Euronews HD on sky as I taught it was SD

• Registered Users Posts: 2,615 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Question on Promos: -

RTÉ to me this is how promos work on RTÉ

TV:

RTÉ ONE: RTÉ ONE, RTÉ Player, RTÉ Sport, while RTÉ2, Radio and The Guide are rare

News: As above

RTÉ2: As above but with more RTÉ2|Children's content promoted

Radio:

RTE Radio 1: little to no non RTÉ Radio 1 promos, some for Lyric and RnaG, maybe the guide

2FM: nothing but 2FM

Lyric: nothing but Lyric maybe some RnaG and some RTÉ CO

RnaG: nothing other than RnaG

Digital Radio Station: None.

Little promotion of RTÉ CO.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Plenty of cross promotion between RTE One and 2 from what I can see, although a chunk of that might be sport.

The RTE Guide is a commercial publication by CEL (or whatever they call it these days) and as such it shouldn’t be promo-ed at all! Any adverts for it should be paid commercials.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

This is not what RTÉ are saying at the moment Re: RTÉ Guide and other commercial parts of the organization.

Promos heavily toward RTÉ ONE and Sport rather than 2, but of course Sport is mainly on 2.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement

I have a Nvidia Shield which runs the latest version of their Android TV. Is it possible in this day and age that the RTE Player is not available for Android TV? It’s not available in the Google Play store for Android TV. TG4 etc is.

I’m not comfortable running an APK from an unknown site.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,092 ✭✭✭batistuta9

There's an Android TV version, not sure why you can't see it, you might be better asking on the shield thread in android forum.

It doesn't have live streams though.

Isn't it madness putting presenters like Ronan Collins out to pasture on RTE Gold? Ronan Collin's fans are the least likely to listen to the radio online

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭RAKM

I suppose once DAB closed RTE Gold and maybe 1 or 2 others should have been squeezed onto fm if theres space.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

According to the Christmas RTÉ Guide, RTÉjr is on Saorview 7 and Sky 623 even though it's on 17 and 617

• Advertisement

RTÉ GOLD is available on Saorview. Though I am surprised that RTÉ don't look for a temp licence for the station on FM every now and then.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

They should put RTE gold on FM as I think it would do well. I listen to it more than the other radio stations. It need a few ads on it. I know people don't like ads but a few not much as it is costing money to run with no return.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭StreetLight

RTE had Gold running 24/7 on DAB radio for relatively little outlay, but in their wisdom discontinued it last year. DAB is perfect for niche stations like that, but the BAI licencing authority make the process of independent digital broadcasting prohibitively complicated.

They had wanted to drop RTÉ Gold and the digital stations but that would have meant going to the Minister for permission to axe those stations. DAB was a test service AFAIR and they could drop it if they wanted.

______

Yesterday

So RTÉ are including +1 with these figures but they are a good bit higher then the 15+ on media live

TLLS - 429,300 + 19,300 on Player

TTTS - 422,700 + 68,300 on Player

DWTS - 525,000 + 17,200 on Player

Fair City - 395,000

Room to Improve - 442,000

______

Yesterday

What has RTE achieved in the past 7 years under Dee Forbes ? Putting the DAB radio network out of it's misery is the only thing that comes to mind. She should have resigned as a matter of principle when the government refused to implement the funding model reform recommended by the media commission.

She took €50,000 in moving expenses. She cut funding to Children's Content by 50% when she said RTÉ were not cutting funding, her predecessor having cut it by 25% just before she arrived, she continue Noel Curran's policy of funding 2fm from the licence fee, she made no real reforms to staffing at RTÉ (though something she was left with, but she seem to do nothing), she cut news programming from RTÉ2, she cut funding to Drama.

There has to be a balance but she balanced nothing, her cuts to two core PSB genres (Children's and Drama) and while defending pay to the top stars and adding funding to RTÉ 2FM, while cutting funding to LyricFM (something RTÉ pretended they were going to axe, then move from Limerick, and then when they received an increase in funding they cut the funding to lyric in any case).

RTÉ have plenty and they could do plenty but they tend to play it safe, and an increase in funding either through proper collection of the licence fee or from the exchequer won't stop the problems that exist.

The DG's job seem like a retirement role, you'd think they do something creative.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 9,718 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Let's not forget Dee Forbes also oversaw the waste of money that is Toy Show The Musical. A monumental flop by all accounts.

I’m a bit uncomfortable about how this thread appears to becoming focused on one person who isn’t here to defend themselves (and who is leaving RTE very soon, anyway).

No CEO position is a “retirement role”, particularly one so in the public eye like this. There are nearly 2,000 staff in RTE. Of course the buck stops with the CEO (or DG in this case), but the three posts above seek to personalise matters in an unfair manner.

Can we maybe try and make things a little less personalised, please. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,718 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I won't speak for anyone else but I don't have some kind of vendetta against the named person like your post suggests. She shouldn't be absolved of any criticism of the decisions made during her time in charge.

• Advertisement

I mentioned her predecessor and the person above me clearly was not speaking in anyway of malice towards her, and I too have no agenda. I would say that the "VMTV" thread over the years had a number of people mention one of her would be successors and generally not in a very positive light with nobody even stating that they should not have been mentioned in the thread.

The problems that exist at RTÉ do flow up to the DG therefore it isn't a "retirement gig", DG's are afford plenty of time to give their opinions in the press and at the Oireachtas and it is at those forms that they get to defend themselves and RTÉ. The same goes for the Chair of RTÉ.

______

Yesterday

I don’t mean to accuse anyone of malice…all I want, as a moderator, is for the conversation to become a bit less about the person - who will be gone from RTE fairly soon, the competition for her replacement has been advertised. Policies and decisions are fair game but let’s not make it personal. Thanks.

Still no sign of the weekly Irish language current affairs program that Jon Williams announced before his departure

3rd renovated RTÉ Radio studio, I think?

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Euronews is apparently in a lot of financial trouble at the moment. The new owners of the channel Alpac Capital have made major cutbacks to it's staff numbers and closure of major offices. A plan to sell off the current Euronews HQ in Lyon is also included in the cutbacks.

There was a strike which took place among Euronews staff at the company HQ in Lyon two weeks ago. There was fear among staff working there that it could be dismantled.

The union reps of the staff had said that staff morale was very low with a huge detoiration in working conditions at the station. One staff member who represents one of the unions that the station was being treated like it was carpet radio.

If Euronews closes down later this year; it would be a huge shame to see it close for good. RTÉ News and Current Affairs may have to provide overnight news coverage from another station for 3 of their stations in the near future. I think I heard somewhere that RTÉ still have a minority shareholding with Euronews. Could they lose money on not providing the channel anymore?

Euronews have unfortunately been messed about with, to put it mildly, with Comcast coming on board with all sorts of grand plans and then jumping ship (and taking their grand plans with them) just as quickly when they ended up owning Sky News. They had a niche with a particular format and should never have went down the road of putting faces on screen. Their best bet is to head back to their original format, as quickly as they can, one picture with different language voiceovers. I think they are heading in that direction now to be fair. I don’t think they’ll end up closed down. If they did it would be sad to see them go but there are other options for RTE out there, including the test card if it comes to it (but it won’t).

IMO as TG4 has reduced down their hours for France 24 there might be an option there. Carrying EuroNews across 4 channels (inc +1) is crazy TBH, and always was.

Anyone know if RTÉ cut it coverage of the Ladies Soccer yesterday for Soc Dems Co-Leader's press conference yesterday?

______

Yesterday

The 1967 James Bond movie You Only Live Twice is the teatime St Patrick's Day Movie on RTE One.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Surprised they chose that instead of Darby O'Gill

• Advertisement

one of their former Audienc Council members might have given out about that !

Anyone know how well or badly Smother and The Dry have been promoted, I notice that RTÉ have largely stop produced trailers for each episode, certainly its been the case for imports.

______

Yesterday

Advertisement