Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ ONE, 2, Junior, and Player

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 00s anorak

I'm currently near a television tuned to RTE 2 and I see that "TRTE" has the same indents that it had back in 2010. It's funny how RTE do absolutely no effort for the youth on television but claim that 2fm is essential for the youth, ignoring the fact that most under 30s don't even own an FM apparatus in 2024

• Registered Users Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭RoTelly

TRTÉ has almost disappeared from RTÉ2, only for those 2010 idents does it still exist. All TRTÉ promos use RTÉ2 promo boards.

I think they'd planned to move TRTÉ under the horribly branded RTÉ KIDS which is now their default online.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

From Dept of Media

As provided for in the Broadcasting Act 2009, RTÉ or TG4 may, with the consent of the Minister, vary the number of television or sound broadcasting channels operated. The process established under Section 103 of the Act requires consultation with the broadcaster on the proposal, consultation with Coimisiún na Meán as to the sectoral impact of the proposal, and consideration of the public value of any such proposal.

As part of its Strategic Vision, which was published in November last year, RTÉ has proposed ceasing the broadcast of RTÉ One+1 and RTÉ2+1 by 2028. RTÉ state that their investment in digital services will allow the content on these services to be available more widely through on-demand services and that closing the plus one channels will allow them to reduce the cost of traditional broadcast distribution and prioritise delivery of live and on-demand content through digital platforms.

To date, no proposal from RTÉ has been received and when it is forthcoming, the merits of the proposal will be assessed, as outlined above, prior to any decision being made. 

Strange use of words "Strategic Vision" as RTÉ called it "New Direction". Then there is the "by 2028", the strategy is up to 2028, I'd think it strange that RTÉ would hold off putting in the proposal to the Department considering their problems they have.

I don't expect those channels to be close in 2024.

______

Yesterday

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,511 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I presume the reason the brand still exists at all is to maintain the separate entries for TRTE in the kids sections of some EPGs. (These aren’t separate channels, just simulcasts of the TRTE block in RTE2).

You'd think that they would have moved it over to being RTÉ KIDS if that's the brand they are heading towards, is TRTÉ still available on Virgin Media as a separate channel?

The branding isn't very cohesive to maintain it.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement

It’s not a separate channel, only a separate entry on the EPG (#602 I think). It is an exact simulcast of TRTE on RTE2, unlike with the RTEjr channel, which although it shares its branding is separately programmed from RTEjr on RTE2.

I think that they went the whole hog and totally renamed it RTE2, they’d lose the ability to have the separate EPG entry.

You could see what they were originally going for, splitting the Den into RTEjr and TRTE in the same way as years earlier, Children’s BBC had been split into CBeebies and CBBC. The difference is that TRTE got barely any love after that compared to RTEjr, and while there’s an argument that cohort is served well by Nick and Disney, there’s also an argument that they deserve Irish made programmes too.

The Den had been largely split into Den Tots and The Den prior to the arrival of RTÉjr and TRTÉ. Cleaner look too.

______

Yesterday

So there were a few special broadcasts on RTÉ News over the last while, I assume that all had the ticker removed from the sides of the screne.

The Soc Dem Conference broadcast had: -

Left hand top corner LIVE logo

Right hand top corner a smaller and more transparent RTÉ News DOG/BUG

Along the bottom to the Left details of the broadcast (LIVE COVERAGE OF SOC DEMS, or something similar).

Why can't the news channel just go with this style the whole time. I'd suggest adding the time just below the RTÉ News DOG/BUG.

______

Yesterday

I know there were some complaints about Women's soccer being on RTÉ2 and Champions League on RTÉ News.

Sport on RTÉ NEWS just shows up RTÉ NEWS's picture quality. Fuzzy vision and Squashy vision for the news. RTÉ should really be ashamed of the channel.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,503 ✭✭✭deezell

Definitely bad form. Two of the biggest matches of the year, financial nirvana and they blow it. They didn't even advertise it on the epg. PBS is all very well, but the audience for either CL match is huge, no disrespect to the girls, but they were never going to best England. The CL's where the ad money is. Give it to TG4 even, in HD. No wonder they're broke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AJB39

It was an unfortunate clash. There would also have been complaints if the Ireland Women’s Team had been moved to the News Channel. Frankly UEFA should have avoided this clash by not scheduling the Women’s Euro qualifiers on the same night as the Men’s Champions League. As they run both competitions they could have avoided the clash. One solution would have been for RTÉ and Virgin Media to swap their Champions League nights but I presume this wasn’t contractually possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭chalkitdown1

I'd have no problem with the swap were it not for the picture quality on RTE News being absolute dogshite. I ended up watching it on the RTE Player instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 johns1234ff4

The thing is even at home time in the Champions League match they switched to a broadcast of the news so if you were flicking through the channels to see if it was on at half time it looked like it wasn’t on Irish TV at all you. Why was there no match analysis at half time?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Couldn't they have just put the Women's match on RTE1? It may have pushed out Nine O'Clock News, but everything else is easily rescheduled.

BBC often have football on both BBC 1 and BBC 2 during times like Euros and World Cups.

They missed a really good match - probably the best match of the whole CL season so far. VM will love having that second leg. The scenario will also give some ammunition to VM whom said a while ago that RTE hoover up sports rights, but don't have enough channels to show them. "RTÉ now has more Sports rights than it can show on its channels" from them recently during the GAAGO issue last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭AJB39

Moving the Nine O’Clock News wasn’t a runner yesterday as it was a very big news day with a new Taoiseach been elected. Moving the news would have meant moving Prime Time as well. They would have had lots of complaints if they’d moved the news. Virgin Media will criticise RTÉ regardless of what they do. Virgin Media had the option of bidding for GAA Championship rights but declined to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

RTÉ One HD finally launches on Sky in Northern Ireland tomorrow on 161, the SD version moves to 835 on HD boxes

https://helpforum.sky.com/t5/What-s-On/Changes-to-the-Sky-TV-Guide-April-2024/td-p/4600061

RTÉ2 and TG4 have been available in HD since they launched on Sky

Kick Offs were at 19:30 and 20:00.

Women's could have been put on ONE, and dare I say it the news could have gone out live on the NEWS channel with a repeat after the women's on ONE.

Or as someone has suggested giving one to TG4 if possible.

Either way News channel is a mess and not suitable for any sport at the moment, even in SD.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 10,269 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

The top sport usually goes out on rte 2. The women's international was (rightly) treated as the top sporting event.

You're correct in one thing, it was 'treated' as the top sporting event, when it wasn't. Again, no disrespect to the the ladies or the International element, but I'd rather watch Duffer's Shelbourne on Friday. He's dead right, Loi is more absorbing and visceral to watch, even for a neutral. And I'd definitely take a champions league quarter final of the calibre of Tuesdays matches over what regrettably always looked like a dead rubber after ten minutes. I'd normally cut back and forward between two overlapping matches, especially with different half times, but when you're forced to watch one on player or a stream to get a reasonable quality image, you won't switch back as it takes too long to reestablish a stream, what with data delays and forced advertisements. I just watched the Arsenal Bayern match, and had the International on my phone after I switched over to the CL kick-off. Liverpool were awful last night, spent after the Derby at the weekend. There will be no miracles in Bergamo next week. Shels v Bohs tonight, then I'm off to the Aviva for the champions cup QF, but should get to see the Grand National before kick off. Ya gotta love sport.

OK, at this point I need to give this warning. There’s a reason of the dozens of sport related fora on Boards you won’t find one for football and you can’t use this forum as a substitute.. Absolutely no discussion of what happens on the pitch. We can talk about the media coverage aspects only.

Also there is to be absolutely no comments comparing the relative merits of the women’s and men’s games. Thanks.

• Advertisement

The forum is about RTÉ schedule and content, as someone who only views sport from the audience numbers point of view, I am hardly likely to be on a sports forum or commenting on a sports thread (I might sometimes venture into the Sporting Rights part of such discussions).

And with that said RTÉ report 363k and 44k for the Ireland V England game but no figures for Champions league that I can see.

______

Yesterday

🎶 You do the Hokey Wokey and you turn around, that's what it's all about..🎶

@RoTelly, that warning was not particularly aimed at you, it was a general warning.

This one is: there is absolutely no on thread discussion of moderation.

@Deezel, 48 hour ban, the post above is plain trolling as far as I’m concerned and there is nothing “woke” about women playing sport, it is something everyone is entitled to do.

Advertisement