Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firestick general discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

Its cool, I have added my most used apps to the bar at the top, very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I like the first line that suggests things from your subscriptions

• Registered Users Posts: 2,708 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

I think the new UI is pretty cool, you can rearrange all your favourite apps onto the top line and not need to bother with anywhere else on the screen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭dougm1970

i have a 4k and also a regular firestick (one that came out last year)....the regular updated to new ui a while ago, but i really dont like how it has blank icons for sideloaded apps, so had to install another launcher.
    i'm kinda reluctant now to update the 4k.

dougm1970 wrote: »
    i have a 4k and also a regular firestick (one that came out last year)....the regular updated to new ui a while ago, but i really dont like how it has blank icons for sideloaded apps, so had to install another launcher.

Not sure you will have a choice?

• Advertisement

TheDriver wrote: »
    Yeah I turned mine on and it updated automatically, I had zero choice in the matter, I like the new layout but I don’t really use many apps on it, I prefer to use the apps directly on the tv

TheDriver wrote: »

well i have auto updates turned off

well i have auto updates turned off

Think that’s just for apps?

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    Think that’s just for apps?

think i followed a guide a while back via adb commands.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,902 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

dougm1970 wrote:
    i have a 4k and also a regular firestick (one that came out last year)....the regular updated to new ui a while ago, but i really dont like how it has blank icons for sideloaded apps, so had to install another launcher. i'm kinda reluctant now to update the 4k.

There doesn't seem to be any any way of turning off this update.

Maybe you can cut down on the amount of sideloaded apps. For example if you have sideloaded iplayer, NowTV, hbomax, etc then these can be ordered from the amazon app store. Takes 30 seconds to change from Ireland apps to UK apps and to US apps. These apps stay on the stick when you change the stick to Ireland again. These are genuine Amazon apps and will update themselves.

You will still need to sideload apps that aren't on any amazon app store though

• Advertisement

I concur. It used to be the case that you could only access apps in your current area but now you can add apps from changing area and they remain plus update even if you change region.
    My sideloaded apps have icons eg ssport

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

They go back to normal soon enough. I have a couple sideloaded apps which were showing blank but they have usual logos now.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭obi604

I notice my TV has a LAN connection, I connected an RJ45 cable to it. Is there a way to tell firestick 4k to use the wired connection or does it just operate over wireless? (I checked settings etc but couldn't find anything obvious)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭Liamalone

Wired connection will be used solely by the tv. You need an adapter to connect the firestick wired style.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭obi604

Liamalone wrote: »
    Wired connection will be used solely by the tv. You need an adapter to connect the firestick wired style.

thanks

doh, sorry, thick by me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

My firestick is stuck on the FireTv logo

Any suggestions for a fix folks?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

My firestick is stuck on the FireTv logo

Any suggestions for a fix folks?

Factory reset with remote

Press and hold the Back button and the Right directional button for at least 10 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Factory reset with remote

Press and hold the Back button and the Right directional button for at least 10 seconds.

Balls, really?

Better remember how I set it up so :(

Thanks btw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭mossie

Balls, really?

Better remember how I set it up so :(

Thanks btw

Got the update last night. It's reasonable smooth to use but I'm underwhelmed to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

will we ever get a tv player app here like saorview do you think with irish channels on it? i've moved into a new home with bad antennae reception...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,409 ✭✭✭Nollog

Looking for ideas here

I've a cube, I've changed the sleep mode and the screensaver times but neither of them make a difference.

What happens is if I use an app (twitch as an example), and leave it for I don't even know, sometimes 30 minutes sometimes an hour, other times more, the screen goes black but if I say Alexa I can see the blue line on the screen. Very annoying. Some apps though don't do it at all, YouTube did it once I think, Disney and that don't do it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Trevord

Beanstalk wrote: »
    will we ever get a tv player app here like saorview do you think with irish channels on it? i've moved into a new home with bad antennae reception...

Saorsat might be your solution

https://saorsat.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,096 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Virgin media player now supports android tv so can be sideloaded to fire os.
    Works great except some programs seem to take ages to be uploaded. They hadn't the EL highlights or tonight show up at 1:30 last Thursday, both finished at 11.

It has ads though, I used to use Firefox to watch which would block them but it's being discontinued from the 30th.

Just posting on here regarding to cnbc could be a long shot,

Is it possible to watch CNBC live on peacock using a vpn?

TIA
    Omt

I don't think so, didn't see it in the list of channels but I think some programs from it or on there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭b318isp

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Works great except some programs seem to take ages to be uploaded. They hadn't the EL highlights or tonight show up at 1:30 last Thursday, both finished at 11.

Have you a source for this? The one I have displays portrait on a TV :rolleyes:

Thargor wrote: »
    What an ugly mess the new update is, especially if you only use your Firestick for unofficial apps. You have to go digging for them every time now. Time to look into alternative launchers.

Another problem Ive had for ages now is that my Firestick seems to be stuck on the ad for the Amazing Mrs Maisie or some crap, every time I turn it on its her stupid face and pink theme up the top, do they never rotate new ads in?

I had her for ages too, changed sometimes when on VPN but always went back to that as the first ad. Though I had changed to us store at the time, switched back to UK recently & she's gone. Have you changed store or anything like that?

I don't mind the new update cleans up all those home tabs that you'd never use. Just set your unofficial apps as the top 6/ favorites & keep the rest in recently used - 2 down button presses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭bennyineire

batistuta9 wrote: »

It has ads though, I used to use Firefox to watch which would block them but it's being discontinued from the 30th.

Have you got the download link (APK file) for the latest verison ?

b318isp wrote: »

There's a link posted in the last page or two to extract apps from google play, use that with the url from the playstore of the vmp app.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Trevord

b318isp wrote: »

See post #333

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Anybody having issues with the iplayer loading on the firestick.
    I have cleared cache, data, uninstalled, reinstalled but still have the same issue.

My5 is working fine.

Thanks

Advertisement