Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firestick general discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭bassy

he has,nt a fooking clue..............................................................................................................

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

bassy wrote: »
    he has,nt a fooking clue..............................................................................................................

Just a wannabe, trying to bump up post count by the looks of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭bassy

FanadMan wrote: »
    Just a wannabe, trying to bump up post count by the looks of it.

Yet another who hasn't a fooking clue about getting the best out of the firestick,sweet dreams.......,.........

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Firesticks are really only limited by their users.

Almost never turn a laptop on these days - no need. [...]

While my laptop is never turned off (actual uptime 204 days and counting) I fully agree with the rest. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

So obviously 'firesticks is a waste of money' statement would never get a good reception here - objectively what do us fans not like about firetv? What do we prefer over fire tv over latest chromecast at same pricepoint. Sept is usually when Amzn announce new devices and 4k is due an upgrade - what do we want to be announced?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

IrlJidel wrote: »
    So obviously 'firesticks is a waste of money' statement would never get a good reception here - objectively what do us fans not like about firetv? What do we prefer over fire tv over latest chromecast at same pricepoint. Sept is usually when Amzn announce new devices and 4k is due an upgrade - what do we want to be announced?

Have firecube, firesticks (4k models) and new chromecast with google tv.

Chromecast with google tv is superior in WiFi connection, remote is physically stronger, quicker in general and you can sideload using Google drive. Pretty much all apps work on it.

Fire tv stick 4k has similar streaming capabilities to ccgtv with regards to apps. Sideload using downloader is straight forward. Region relocate to change app store is easier. But uts a bit slower when using, slight lag.

Fire cube is like 4k but is as quick as ccgtv and has alexa functionality.

Price wise: ccgtv never goes on sale really so 4k stick on sale best value. And even fire cube on sale is better value.

Not on sale ccgtv and cube are my choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,402 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

I like fire stick as it has been around a while, always consistent, large range of apps and ability to side load.
    And it works. I remember android boxes and they just kept breaking.
    I'm sure the new Chromecast is great but I suppose I've made my bed and techno phobe family are now used to it on each TV. Would be a nightmare unless I dumped them all.
    Price- firestick can always be bought cheap at certain annual points

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭boardz

I've been searching through the thread looking to sideload STV but the method through Aptoide won't work for me. Is there another way?

boardz wrote: »
    I've been searching through the thread looking to sideload STV but the method through Aptoide won't work for me. Is there another way?

Downloader App.
    Usually just google what you want to install - for example "Install XYZ on fire stick via downloader" - Troypoint are good and safe if they have it.
    Or you can use the push app from your phone (might only be android phones)
    Download - Apps2Fire - Download app you want to phone if you can - the use Apps2Fire to push it to fire stick.

That said STV is in the Amazon Appstore no??? If typing does not bring it up use voice search - for some reason some apps appear by voice and not type???

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Lujan

As was previously mentioned Apps2Fire is the handiest way to sideload to a firestick.
    I have set up a few firesticks in the last 6 months and I only used Downloader once.
    I found the Apps2Fire app and just installed from my phone, so much handier.

• Advertisement

Lujan wrote: »
    As was previously mentioned Apps2Fire is the handiest way to sideload to a firestick.
    I have set up a few firesticks in the last 6 months and I only used Downloader once.

Actually moved away from Apps2Fire towards downaloder now,

Have all the links for apps i need on it so any new device is quick and easy to go, only use apps2fire for odd apps I can't grab on downloader.

Then again I use downloader for chromecast also so may be just habit

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭boardz

Downloader App.
    Usually just google what you want to install - for example "Install XYZ on fire stick via downloader" - Troypoint are good and safe if they have it.
    Or you can use the push app from your phone (might only be android phones)
    Download - Apps2Fire - Download app you want to phone if you can - the use Apps2Fire to push it to fire stick.

That said STV is in the Amazon Appstore no??? If typing does not bring it up use voice search - for some reason some apps appear by voice and not type???
    Lujan wrote: »

Cheers yeah I downloaded if from the appstore first but it wouldn't open presumably geo locked even though I'm using a VPN...then googled the apk and used Apps2fire to transfer it to the firestick. But it also won't open. It is installed but I get a brief STV splash screen then it dissappears...no errors. Maybe I need a particular version?

This is the one I downloaded : STV Player Stream TV you ll love for Free_v4.13.3_apkpure.com

• Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Any recommended launchers? I'm really not a fan of how the firestick looks since the update.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

lertsnim wrote: »
    Any recommended launchers? I'm really not a fan of how the firestick looks since the update.

Wolflauncher is good.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Wolflauncher is good.

Never been too bothered but got a chromecast with gtv and it has an apps only mode. Much prefer it.

Might check this out and see what it's like.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Wolflauncher is good.

That will do the job perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭b318isp

Wolflauncher is good.

Installed it last night - instructions are v simple, so easy to install. Very easy to set up - a much simpler interface, and a wallpaper can be added too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭meep

IrlJidel wrote: »

The biggest issue I have with firestick is its inability to passthrough / bitstream audio formats from apps.

I run an emby media server and use Kodi as a front end on many devices, including firesticks. It will never pass extended formats such as Atmos etc., always dumbing down to dolby surround or some such.

I added an Nvidia Shield Pro and this is practically the only device that will behave correctly in this kind of configuration.

It's a niche case, I know, but with the Shield, I get the correct audio format streamed to my processor. And it has the best 'mini remote' I have ever used.

I continue to use Fire sticks around the house as general purpose front ends, but the Shield has replaced it in the main viewing room.

That's my only real gripe with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

meep wrote: »
    The biggest issue I have with firestick is its inability to passthrough / bitstream audio formats from apps.

I run an emby media server and use Kodi as a front end on many devices, including firesticks. It will never pass extended formats such as Atmos etc., always dumbing down to dolby surround or some such.

I added an Nvidia Shield Pro and this is practically the only device that will behave correctly in this kind of configuration.

It's a niche case, I know, but with the Shield, I get the correct audio format streamed to my processor. And it has the best 'mini remote' I have ever used.

I continue to use Fire sticks around the house as general purpose front ends, but the Shield has replaced it in the main viewing room.

That's my only real gripe with it.

How much does a shield cost and how much does a firestick cost?
    Shield is 3 or 4 times more expensive ? Hardly comparing like for like.

Yeah there is no fair comparison between Fire sticks and a Shield Pro.
    Worlds apart in price to start.

I have picked up 4k sticks on sale for 25 quid at times - that 1/8th the cost of a Shield.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭meep

Yeah there is no fair comparison between Fire sticks and a Shield Pro.
    Worlds apart in price to start.

I have picked up 4k sticks on sale for 25 quid at times - that 1/8th the cost of a Shield.

Sorry guys, I know that. I'm not dissing firesticks at all - I love all of mine and they do a great job for me. They are constantly in use and the whole family is trained up.

I was simply answering the earlier query about what we don't like. The ONLY thing I don't like about my firesticks is that they cannot output many sound formats. And thats fine, for a device at that pricepoint.

I also noted in my post that this is not a firestick only issue by saying that the Shield is the only such device that does this correctl. For me, in my specific use case, I'm happy to pay the (substantial) premium for that functionality.

But I won't be retiring any of my other firesticks and shelling out bucketloads on Shields to replace them.

Did I mention I love my firesticks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭johnire

Does anyone have any link to be able to stream RTÉ live?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

Can you buy Firesticks direct from amazon.co.uk now? I was able to add a 4k one to basket and go as far as checkout. Didn't purchase but no warnings.

Wheety wrote: »
    Can you buy Firesticks direct from amazon.co.uk now? I was able to add a 4k one to basket and go as far as checkout. Didn't purchase but no warnings.

In that case yes. If it allows you to add should be good

• Registered Users Posts: 32,373 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Wheety wrote: »

Seems like you can alright, I had something else in my basket which was not allowed ship to me so I doubt it is going to be excluded at a later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

It still has the warning on the product page but lets you purchase. Maybe they realise that even though they're not officially supported outside of the UK a lot of people are still happy with workarounds they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,830 ✭✭✭✭muffler

The 4k version is showing as available for me (Prime account)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,897 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Wheety wrote:

Yes. They deliver to Ireland now. Firecube too

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

Amazon have bought MGM so Prime video might have a lot more content going forward. https://www.aftvnews.com/amazon-buys-mgm-for-8-45-billion/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Equium

johnire wrote: »
    Does anyone have any link to be able to stream RTÉ live?
    Thanks.

Still not available as far as I know.

Would be great to have that for the Euros. The BBC iPlayer is always laggy for me regardless of connection speed. I will probably use a combination of the ITV player and the app from RAI, the Italian national broadcaster.

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

Advertisement