Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warrior Nun [Netflix]

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Anything netflix tends to only get two seasons; the reason being the first two seasons are relatively low paid but the paychecks really kick up from the third season forward apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,856 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

It ended with a bit of a cliffhanger but mostly wrapped up the main story from season 1.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Yeah, it's not the worst way for a series to end, small mercies. There was still a lot of unanswered questions and the threat of a holy war looming, but for the most part it's not the worst unscheduled ending I've experienced.

So apparently this has been saved?!

The showrunner tweeted the news last night, but didn't actually clarify the format. Given there's a writers strike, and a supposedly upcoming actors/directors strike it doesn't feel like something to be getting over excited about. Still, the idea of one show beating the Netflix curse is nice.

Hmm, like I said, I was happy enough with the ending we got. So unless they got a commitment to multiple seasons, then would hope they just use the next season to wrap things up completely.

I assume it's still going to be Netflix since with all the news lately around the other streamers, going elsewhere wouldn't be too reliable.

• Advertisement

Yeah, it's a funny one. They sowed some seeds of more story to tell but didn't go far enough into any of it that I was left fuming at not getting answers. They even had the sword glow post credits to hint at Ava coming back, so all in all it was probably the best ending of a cancelled show that I've seen.

I've no idea if it's Netflix or not, and one of the head writers was criticising Netflix only a week or so ago, and saying how they basically went against orders to tell the love story element of the show. Would you be publicly doing that if you knew you were about to he working with them again?

We'll find out, I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

I wonder if the writer's strike worked in their favour - given that it's a European show and it's American writers on strike might the reprieve have come because Netflix is going to be seriously short on content soon enough.

I had been hoping that the same thinking might save Lockwood and Co, but perhaps we got more Warrior Nun instead?

If hard up for non American made shows, they could always give us season 3 of Kingdom.

But Warrior Nun is American but just made in Europe, as far as I know so will still fall under the strikes.

Yeah, WN is affiliated with the WGA. Simon Barry has apparently been quite heavily involved with the strikes too, so I don't think that's had any effect on whatever has happened.

I'm not popping any champagne until they reveal exactly what's happening and who is involved.

And even then, given the insanity of the streaming industry at the moment, I won't believe anything is happening until I'm actually watching it.

I'd say all the actors are out of contract by now, though haven't heard of anyone moving on to another series.

• Advertisement

How do contracts work on cancelled series? It was only canned in December, if it had been renewed for a S3 at that point they probably would only be starting to film it now, if even. Would probably depend on if its with Netflix or someone else too, I assume new streamer means new contracts?

The only thing I know is that it's been in the works for a while. Apparently the main campaign to save the show got word last week that there was some big news coming and it would coincide with their campaign hitting 15 million tweets, which happened yesterday, I guess? So I'm assuming they have all the logistical stuff sorted out already or they wouldn't be publicly announcing it.

Not sure how they work. I know with network shows you read of deadlines for a show having to be picked up before the contract expiry date.

But for streaming series or any series where it's made far in advance I'm not sure. Like while Warrior Nun aired in November, it seems it had finished production a year before that, according to wikipedia. So that was a year before the cancellation was even announced where they were still under contract.

Or they just shoehorn in some new characters for anyone not coming back like they did with the Shotgun Mary replacement.

That's from TvLine. Doesn't sound like anything is actually confirmed yet, but I'd assume the show runner wouldn't go announcing it like he did if there wasn't something more concrete already in place. He'll be in for one hell of a backlash if nothing comes of it.

It will continue in comic or audio format. 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 23,984 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Glove puppets made out of old socks is the way to go.😁

• Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

But still no details on who's funding the return or how it'll be released.

Wonder why so little info. Maybe waiting for the deal to be finalised. Also the strikes could be affecting that deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,905 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

I'd say the strikes are why so little info

The official announcement from the producer, Dean English, basically said because of the strikes they couldn't say anything more than the basics.

One thing we need to touch on involves the strike in Hollywood involving actors and writers. And it's due to that that we cannot make any announcements today on that front. Some may ask, "Does this perhaps infer that there's going to be a universe being launched of Warrior Nun, which could expand into films and TV series following characters that we already know?" The answer to that question is yes. And there will be more details in the future.

Not 100% sure on all the details here but apparently Simon Barry isn't actually involved with the films. He says he's not producing and doesn't have any deals in place to write or direct. That might just be because of the strikes he couldn't actually sign anything, I dunno, but its all a bit weird.

• Advertisement

Another little update on this. The site that announced the show had been saved had a new announcement yesterday. When asked about it Simon Barry revealed he wasn't involved with the new project, and it turns out quite a lot of the creative people from the show aren't either.

Then the "announcement" comes, and it's a competition to design a completely new halo, that can't look anything like the Netflix one, and the winning design will be used in the new project, the new project has complete control over the design and the winner gets nothing, basically. The competition is announced by the creator of the original graphic novel series.

Anyway, the long and short of it seems to be that Netflix still has the rights to the show and anything relating to it, and whatever the 3 films are, they're not a continuation of it, and pretty much nobody involved, cast or crew, from the show, are on this project. It's producer Dean English and the graphic novel guy trying to launch something else entirely off the back of the campaign fans led to save the show.

I thought the show ended ok-ish for something that was cancelled, so I'm not overly bothered by it not continuing, but I feel bad for the people who put so much time and effort, and money, into trying to save it, to be seemingly duped by this.

Anyway, seems Warrior Nun as we know it is in fact dead. The end.

Advertisement