Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warrior Nun [Netflix]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,978 ✭✭✭opus

Finished watching it this evening, for sure a bit slow going at the start. Impressive how JC & his gang vanished from the plot never to be mentioned again!
    As a matter of interest any suggestions where the kid disappeared to when the portal opened? Other dimension/hell/somewhere else?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

opus wrote: »
    Finished watching it this evening, for sure a bit slow going at the start. Impressive how JC & his gang vanished from the plot never to be mentioned again!
    As a matter of interest any suggestions where the kid disappeared to when the portal opened? Other dimension/hell/somewhere else?

I kept expecting JC to show up again but was so relieved when he didn't. That whole plot line seemed like a tool for a lot of exposition with the tech company and for Ava's initial feelings about experiencing a normal life. And I get why that was necessary for her character, but it really killed the pace for a large chunk of time. As for the
    portal thingy, I'm going with it being what the church refers to as heaven, but is scientifically speaking another dimension. I think it would be interesting for them not to completely dismiss the religious side of things but still kind of having a scientific explanation for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,873 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

watched this over the past couple of days. I saw comments about the first half being really slow, but I actually found the whole season pretty easy to get through. True, there were parts they could've done without but nothing that ruined my enjoyment.
    Though I was wondering how Ava was so wise to world on some things, like knowing what squatting is, then find out all she did was watch tv.
    But would think she would've been restricted in what she could watch.

Compared to other season finales this was
    a lot less subtle. Usually seasons end with an arc resolved and then a tease/setup for the second season. This basically went the route of the Angel series finale.

CastorTroy wrote: »

Compared to other season finales this was
    a lot less subtle. Usually seasons end with an arc resolved and then a tease/setup for the second season. This basically went the route of the Angel series finale.

It felt like a mid season finale. I really expected them to announce there was a part 2 already filmed that would be out in a few months. But apparently not.

Officially renewed for S2. I'm glad, I just hope they keep up the pace that they had at the end of s1.

https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1296084227276980225?s=20

• Advertisement

Looks like we'll finally get some S2 news at this Geeked Week thing. I'm only expecting a release date, but a trailer would be nice.

Reading back through this thread I'm thinking WTF? about a lot of it, so I think a re-watch of S1 might be required before S2 lands.

Think this might need a rewatch before season 2 releases. Been so long.

Definitely. I read through this thread a while back and couldn't remember what half of it meant.

Are they just going to surprise drop the whole thing next week or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Have Netflix done this with other shows as in surprise drop of episodes?

Not with any of their big shows, which is what worries me. Usually they have a fairly clear release schedule for them.

They didn't list Warrior Nun on their list of release dates for the rest of 2022, which led most fans to believe it wouldn't be out until early next year. But now this sounds like it's coming sooner than that?

Really I'm thinking about the possibility of a S3, which seems pretty slim with how long they've taken to give us S2, and if they're not going to give it much promo, or the same kind of push they give other shows then it seems even less likely. But maybe they'll wrap everything up in S2 and we won't need a S3.

I would compare this to something like Russian Doll for how much notice would be given for a release date. That was about a month's notice I think. I know there were others that had a short window between announcement and release.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

November 10th, very busy weekend for new releases.

I've started rewatching S1 to refresh my memory before S2 comes out. The early episodes aren't as slow as I remember them being, but that might just be because knowing what happens by the end of the season sheds a new light on a lot of scenes.

Knowing the boring love interest and his friends are pretty much irrelevant actually makes them less annoying, and that whole plot line does a much better job at illustrating the life Ava had missed out on, and why she's not just running to join the nuns as soon as she wakes up, than I remember.

I'm also aware on rewatch that the scientist plot line is actually important, so I'm paying much more attention to it than I did on first watch. I know a lot happens in the last few episodes, but I might actually understand a bit more of it this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭flazio

It's a YA fantasy adventure. Only problem is, a lot of the original audience aren't YA anymore.

You just have to accept that you're a young adult. 😀

Hey, don't get me wrong, I have watched and enjoyed a lot more YA since I stopped being a YA....... but I just wouldn't have said Warrior Nun was in that category

• Advertisement

I guess anything based around teenagers or ones in their early twenties falls into the YA category. Like The OC or Dawson's Creek.

Trying to decide whether to do a rewatch myself or just find a recap.

I found the rewatch quite useful. Knowing where the plots went and where the characters ended up made it much easier to know what exactly I should be paying attention to, and as a result everything made a lot more sense by the end. There were several important things I just completely missed the first time around. I also found myself more invested in all of the characters, even the less prominent ones.

As for the YA thing, I don't know, I don't think the age of the characters automatically makes something YA. For me YA is more a tonal thing, surface level storytelling, easy to watch but won't leave you thinking about it once it's over. Not that it matters what things are categorised as, really, if you like it you like it.

Finished the rewatch.

Turns out I remembered very little including that it ended on a cliffhanger.

Noticed Lillith's hair getting greyer as the last episode went on, especially at the end.

I remembered Lilith's hair being grey, but I thought it was that way as soon as she came back. Noticed this time that it only started in the Vatican. I didn't remember much else about Lilith or Camilla, to be honest. Camilla didn't have a whole lot to do, but Lilith stood out a lot more to me on rewatch.

Still no sign of Shotgun Mary in any of the S2 stuff.

Short S1 recap for anyone who needs it. Seems to be literally the only promo Netflix have given S2, and they've only posted it to YouTube

Watched it. It was grand but could've been better.

Not sure why but this 8 episode season felt longer than the first 10 episode season. Think there was a bit of wheel spinning going on.

Dora's introduction felt very rushed and it just felt to me like they realised without Mary they had no black nuns so added her. After the episode where she was introduced and got the slomo fight scene out of nowhere she suddenly had a place at the table, including saying how she believed Vincent with no one pointing out she was new there and didn't know him.

Not sure if they'll get a third season. Probably not going by the lack of promotion for season 2.

Also they didn't seem to have much bother killing people even though they knew they were possessed. I know they didn't have much choice but it seems different from the first season in that way, especially with that town Ava and Mary visited that had a load of possessed people saved. Then as soon as Adriel was defeated they were all free from possession?

Finished it there this evening. It did feel like a different beast to S1, but I still enjoyed it. I thought it was much faster paced but at the same time there did feel like there was some level of "we can't do that until nearer the end, so lets do this instead" kind of thing. Also, apart from the very end when he revealed what he was actually trying to do, Adriel never felt like that big of a threat, or at least not one people needed to be thinking about sacrificing themselves to stop. I'm sure Covid had an impact on some things but the scenes in the cathedral were a bit underwhelming, especially compared to the big crowd scenes they had at the Vatican in S1.

It did set up for some kind of S3, but yeah, my hopes are relatively low for that actually happening. Although the show is like #4 in the World right now, so who knows.

I agree about the Dora introduction. When she got the slo mo thing I actually thought for a second Mary had miraculously came back! All they needed to do was let her speak to someone when the new nuns all got out of the van, pretend like Camilla already knew her or something simple, and it wouldn't have felt so strange.

Lilith's story was kind of an odd one. I found it interesting at first, she was kind of paralleling Ava's S1 story for a bit, but then she wasn't really relevant for ages. I'd assume they were setting her up to be more relevant in S3 with the holy war or whatever it was.

The Michael/Miguel thing was very obvious too, but I must say I got surprisingly invested in his character, but I did kind of laugh when his remains were just splattered all over the room at the end.

Post edited by TICKLE_ME_ELMO on

At times Lillith looked more like she was wearing sleeves instead of it being part of her skin. And after noticing how grey her hair was at the end of last season, it became mostly dark again.

Two months had passed, she probably got a box of dye in Boots and it was only starting to wash out a little now.

• Advertisement

Well, it's been cancelled. Not surprised, but still disappointed.

I've becoming more and more disillusioned with Netflix lately and I think this might be the thing that finally pushes me to save €15 a month.

Advertisement