Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

I'm guessing the potential civil war in Ethiopia is going to result in another clamour to get to Europe.

I’d say the adverts begging have been filmed already.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,567 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Just to add, I went to track down the actual text of the joint statement referred to in the Guardian article. Perhaps I shouldn't have been surprised but it's inaccurately reported by the Guardian.

They say references to Islam were removed. That's not correct, as there is a reference to the murder of the teacher in France as a 'Islamic attack'. Additionally the Guardian claims the text was changed to include concerns about the supposed 'rise of the far-right'. That's not correct either. There is no reference at all to the 'far-right' or equivalents in the text. So the Guardian is projecting a lot of their own agenda on the text. You cant rely on the media - again and again you've got to check the primary sources yourself.

That's not to redeem the statement. It's a complete waste of time. Interestingly the text states: 'We will...in no way compromise on our shared belief in...freedom, including freedom of speech.' This is interesting in that many EU governments - including Ireland - have or are planning to introduce supposed hate speech laws which are very clear compromises on freedom, particularly freedom of speech. But that is the reality - Europeans can have a high degree of freedom of speech, or they can have diversity. They cant have both.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,015 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'm guessing the potential civil war in Ethiopia is going to result in another clamour to get to Europe.

You have to wonder about places like this where they are pretty much back to where they were 40 years ago, having 5 or 6 kids to a family where they country can't even support the replacement of each person who dies each year. Trocaire, Goal and Bothar should be giving people EyePhones to get sterilised instead of encouraging unsustainable practices, especially providing them with cattle which hoover up water and other resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

You have to wonder about places like this where they are pretty much back to where they were 40 years ago, having 5 or 6 kids to a family where they country can't even support the replacement of each person who dies each year. Trocaire, Goal and Bothar should be giving people EyePhones to get sterilised instead of encouraging unsustainable practices, especially providing them with cattle which hoover up water and other resources.

You can't be at that. It would be racist white supremacy to tell Africans that popping out many children is unsustainable. It's absolutely fine to tell westerners they shouldn't be having kids anymore though.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

One of the big inconsistencies of the likes of Gemma O'Doherty and religious hardliners is the question of population control.

We are in this mess also because of overpopulation throughout Africa and many parts of Asia and the Middle East. The lands are considerable but they cannot continue to support unlimited population growth as projected.

I haven't decided if the UN and NGOs are throwing fuel on this fire. But it mightn't help anyone if genuine efforts to have sustainable development were to be attacked as a nefarious, sinister plan to cull the global population.

There is a big need for a proper guns on the table debate on this issue.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

https://youtu.be/MEPtyb9OHP8

Interesting discussion here from the 70's, and somewhat pertinent to the discussion at hand here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I dont think multiculturalism is a big issue yet in Ireland. We can't plan for **** though as the influx in balbriggan proved, Refugee policy internationally is antiquated. Why is somebody who arrives in Ireland after skipping ten neighbouring countries considered a refugee? Or in any nation??
    We are an accomodating people but dont take the piss.
    If we lack enough children-why the fxxx are we not fixing childcare policies instead of importing labour???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭jmreire

https://youtu.be/MEPtyb9OHP8

Interesting discussion here from the 70's, and somewhat pertinent to the discussion at hand here.

Well ,fast forward to 2016, and the Brexit referendum where the leave vote was strongly influenced by the Immigration issue, (and especially when the leave brigade touted the idea that Turkey would be joining the EU with its 85 Million primarily Muslim population. ) It was probably the deciding factor. Enoch would have been proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Seeing muslims praying in croke park was one of the most single moving moments this year. And cheered me up during lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Frankie Machine

Seeing muslims praying in croke park was one of the most single moving moments this year. And cheered me up during lockdown.

It was actually repugnant.

Could have been done in any number of other places, but no, we had to have another fatuous gesture of how mature we are.

Of all places to advertise the relentless creeping similitude of Ireland to every other bloody place in the Western world, it had to be the locus of the GAA, a movement that has done so much, so much for our sense of our unique place in the world.

What the hell was wrong with the Phoenix Park, Ballybrit, Limerick ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

It was actually repugnant.

Could have been done in any number of other places, but no, we had to have another fatuous gesture of how mature we are.

Of all places to advertise the relentless creeping similitude of Ireland to every other bloody place in the Western world, it had to be the locus of the GAA, a movement that has done so much, so much for our sense of our unique place in the world.

What the hell was wrong with the Phoenix Park, Ballybrit, Limerick ?

The GAA wanted it?

So it would have been ok with you in Phoenix park? I doubt that.

It was the GAA ...because it shows the uniqueness and irishness of irish muslims obviously.

And obv your own personal feelings are the minority. Most of us loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,352 ✭✭✭AllForIt

The GAA wanted it?

It was the GAA ...because it shows the uniqueness and irishness of irish muslims obviously.

I don't see what's unique about Muslims praying. If they played a game of hurling and went on the lash afterwards that would be unique.

You have set your bar very very very low as to what constitutes happiness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

The GAA wanted it?

Doubt most loved it. There is nothing to love about it .

Doubt most loved it. There is nothing to love about it .

Tenner says none of the were searched gong in - dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

It didn't though, did it. Seems like something you would have mentioned at the time if it did. Feels more like a post made at 1.30am looking for a reaction than a factual statement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,870 ✭✭✭Cordell

I'm sure it was a thing of beauty. Was it there any beheading to top it off?

The GAA wanted it?

I didn't say it would have been ok with me in the Phoenix Park. But it would crtainly be less 'not ok'. But you obviously didn't get the reference anyway.

The uniqueness and Irishness of Irish muslims. What tripe. We must get Christy Moore to rewrite the classic - 'St. Patrick Was A (Muslim) Gentleman'

Obv when you say 'most of us' you mean the self-reinforcing circle you move in.

If you enjoyed it so much, why not consider migrating to Afghanistan or Pakistan? Actually most of the Stans will do, if you want a choice. Then you can really enjoy yourself 24/7...normally starts at 05:00 hrs every day. :)

jmreire wrote: »
    If you enjoyed it so much, why not consider migrating to Afghanistan or Pakistan? Actually most of the Stans will do, if you want a choice. Then you can really enjoy yourself 24/7...normally starts at 05:00 hrs every day. :)

Can we take the local camogie girls there to play on the field by a mosque in Kabul ? You know fairs fair and all that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Ethiopia's population is almost now 3 times what it was when the famine hit in 1985.
    Sure they had a major civil war going on at that time, but I didn't know they reversed desertification in the meantime. :rolleyes:

There should be no praying there.
    Gervais08 wrote: »
    Can we take the local camogie girls there to play on the field by a mosque in Kabul ? You know fairs fair and all that.

To be followed by forced marriage to some of the locals.
    Rape and Stonings for anyone that refuses.

I am not allowed discuss …

It was no big deal muslims praying in croke park They are welcome to pray there but it's ironic that on the one hand we have an orthodox secularism that wants to strip away any vestiges of the catholic church but on the other- jumps all over the place at a sign of how tolerant we are of other religions ?? At a muslim prayer service? It's basically being anti church than it's proclaimed secularism.
    I have taught many muslim students and overall they are more studious and well behaved than their Irish counterparts. Most idiotic statements on muslims are written or spoken by people who never met one.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

You seem to really like Muslims, would you ever consider moving to Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan... And if not, why not?

You seem to really like Muslims, would you ever consider moving to Iran, Iraq, Afghanistan... And if not, why not?

The poster didn't say they were estatic. Just cheered them up. Let's pick out three nation's -two of whom have been invaded in the last 20 years . Many christian nation's are poorly run and corrupt. Take Russia or Romania for example.
    Iran ,iraq and afghanistan are not the epicenter of the Muslim world.
    Many nation's are poorly run and have nothing to do with religion.
    The islamic world tends to have more restrictions than the west but we are no utopia.
    Id say many saudi natives are less free than us but have healthcare and housing!

Gervais08 wrote: »

Yes, good idea, kind of cultural exchange. Would be a guaranteed sell out, standing room only event. And thats only taking into account the taliban / isis camogie follower's....:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Bobtheman wrote: »
    It was no big deal muslims praying in croke park They are welcome to pray there but it's ironic that on the one hand we have an orthodox secularism that wants to strip away any vestiges of the catholic church but on the other- jumps all over the place at a sign of how tolerant we are of other religions ?? At a muslim prayer service? It's basically being anti church than it's proclaimed secularism.
    I have taught many muslim students and overall they are more studious and well behaved than their Irish counterparts...

Ever introduced any cartoons ?
    The poster didn't say they were estatic. Just cheered them up. Let's pick out three nation's -two of whom have been invaded in the last 20 years . Many christian nation's are poorly run and corrupt. Take Russia or Romania for example.
    Iran ,iraq and afghanistan are not the epicenter of the Muslim world.
    Many nation's are poorly run and have nothing to do with religion.
    The islamic world tends to have more restrictions than the west but we are no utopia.
    Id say many saudi natives are less free than us but have healthcare and housing!

Now would that be the women that are glad of the housing and the healthcare or just the blokes ?

I know having the right to quite openly state that I don't believe in a sky fairy is not utopia, but by christ it is a lot better than facing prosecution and possibly worse in some muslim states for that viewpoint.

And lets not even touch on the subject of making caricatures of religious figures. :rolleyes:

And those three countries are indeed not the epicenter of the muslim world, but mind telling us of all the great freedoms non believers do enjoy in the epicenter of the muslim world ?

For a start why not name any muslim state that does not have issues with ultra conservative islam and the growth of islamist views.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

I have taught many muslim students and overall they are more studious and well behaved than their Irish counterparts. Most idiotic statements on muslims are written or spoken by people who never met one.

One of my best friends was dating a pakistani lad for over 5 years in london, all kept quiet secert as they where a gay couple, but he's family found out and my friend had to leave the uk and job move back home with only the clothes on he's back as he's partners family came looking for him at he's work place, only for he's boyfriend was able to get a message to a friend of theirs, who tipped off my friend, he was told to leave asap and he did.
    Found out after the flat they had was ransacked, all he's clothes ripped to shreds, he's boyfriend was sent back to pakistan to marry a local girl which he did, my friend still gets texts from him asking for help. But ya not all muslims are studious and well behaved, as a gay man living happily married in my small town with people who are happy for us, I'd rather the fanatical muslims which are in this country already here to head on back to where they want sharia law and all the trimmings that they believe in, as an avid gaa supporter i wasn't to happy seeing what happened in croke park, ive meet many a muslim over my lifetime travelling( india indonesia turkey etc) and the one thing that always angered the majority of them was when told we were gay, so you've taught muslims in a classroom and that gives you the right to call other people's statements idiotic!! As a teacher isn't that very closed minded.... I'm right your wrong.

jmayo wrote: »
    Ever introduced any cartoons ?

:D

One of my best friends was dating a pakistani lad for over 5 years in london, all kept quiet secert as they where a gay couple, but he's family found out and my friend had to leave the uk and job move back home with only the clothes on he's back as he's partners family came looking for him at he's work place, only for he's boyfriend was able to get a message to a friend of theirs, who tipped off my friend, he was told to leave asap and he did.
    Found out after the flat they had was ransacked, all he's clothes ripped to shreds, he's boyfriend was sent back to pakistan to marry a local girl which he did, my friend still gets texts from him asking for help. But ya not all muslims are studious and well behaved, as a gay man living happily married in my small town with people who are happy for us, I'd rather the fanatical muslims which are in this country already here to head on back to where they want sharia law and all the trimmings that they believe in, as an avid gaa supporter i wasn't to happy seeing what happened in croke park, ive meet many a muslim over my lifetime travelling( india indonesia turkey etc) and the one thing that always angered the majority of them was when told we were gay, so you've taught muslims in a classroom and that gives you the right to call other people's statements idiotic!! As a teacher isn't that very closed minded.... I'm right your wrong.

I never called anybody idiotic so I have no idea where that came from. I would never condone Homophobia but you cant say Ireland or the West has a perfect record there. We only decriminalised it in 1993-Homosexuality.
    I dont think homophobia is the preserve of Muslims either-lots of Christians and non-Christians practice it. There are still in the USA that allow kids to be sent to camps to "rid themselves of it?! Ludicrous.
    The Irish Church had a very unhealthy interest in all matters sexual too with disastrous results.
    Most Muslim states are behind in terms of modern human rights. They will eventually get there. Probably 30 years. The lack of democracy has impeded that. That being said te Western obsession with individualism has had many disastrous spin-offs but you'd be wary of mentioning them for fear the liberal mullahs attack you.
    Anyway, I'm not just basing my views on the 30 or so students I taught. I have read quite a bit and talked to a few people who lived in the middle east at length. I wouldn't claim to be an authority nor should anybody on here either.
    It is stupid though to claim all Muslims want Sharia law and all the trimmings. You are generalising 60k people in Ireland who come from all sorts of places many of which ignore sharia law. They aint a fifth column trying to impose it on the Irish population. You must miss the pub Id say.

• Advertisement

As to the Cartoons give me a break. We had many lunatic Catholics who murdered many other Catholics and Protestants simply because of their Religion/nationality.
    Personally, I dont know why anybody would show a cartoon that others found offensive just to emphasise free speech. That being said killing a man for doing that is reprehensible but I would not condemn all Muslims over it. Ask Irish people what it was like to be in the UK in the 1970s as the IRA tried to blow up various places

Advertisement