Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,425 ✭✭✭JoeA3

You can’t rely on build weeks at the moment unfortunately. You have week 44 but it could be 3-4 weeks beyond that before they start it and then it could take a few weeks to go through production, due to the parts shortages. Once it is built though they do tend to get shipped reasonably quick.

It’s far from typical to register a new car in December but these are strange times.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭PaulRyan97

It's really not going to result in people keeping their old cars longer. Of the top 10 best selling cars right now, I think only the higher specced diesel Volkswagen Tiguans may be hit by that 4% hike. I can imagine though they'll get less popular anyway with that new PHEV option. The remaining cars will have 1-2% hikes while the rest don't change.

The cars that would have a significant VRT hike are not really big sellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

If it’s 2500 extra on an r I’m assuming it would be a little bit less on the cs. I’d take that hit happily if they stand over the original agreed price as I think that there would be a similar difference three years down the road between a 212 vs a 221. I’m pretty sure their price was locked in when they ordered the car in June.

I’ve certainly not ruled out registering in December but would rather not. On the other hand that new year plate may not matter as much as it normally does since there doesn’t seem to be many of these (or any new car really) around. That’s not going to change at least in the early part of 2022, so in three in a bit years how many 2022 cars will be on the market? I’d guess very few and importing from the uk is not a thing anymore for most cars never mind a performance golf.

in general I can see the second hand market remaining strong for a long time. Even if new car production ramps up in the next year it won’t change too much here as far as I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Nice one here, looks clean and original bar that front splitter, but its a three door, might suit you if you don't need extra doors, decent enough spec too, leather, big screen nav.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/volkswagen-golf-r-2016-4-motion-300bhp-low-miles/29433401

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

That's a good find Hooch, thanks. Seems well priced too in comparison to similar ones for sale?

• Advertisement

UK Import. Manual. 3 doors. Longford reg. Mudflaps. Wind deflectors. Front splitter.

Several things there that would put a lot of buyers off or at least make them think twice. Muppet Man's car was similarly priced and similar age, it would have been a far better prospect than that one.

OP is looking for a manual with low miles. They aren't too easy to find. Mods are questionable but easily reversible in a beggers can't be choosers market.

I agree re Muppet Man's car being a better prospect.

True, missed the manual gearbox requirement.

I see it also has an "Autostadt" window sticker... I wonder do we know who owned it. I don't remember seeing it anyway.

Hadn't spotted the sticker, I'd say I could ask a few questions and find out who owned it handy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Are they 18" Cadiz?

• Advertisement

Yes, standard fit on UK cars, Irish cars came with 19" as standard. Not too many went for the upgraded Pretorias in UK. Afaik they were a much more expensive option over there, they were only €130 extra here so were a no brainer for many people.

They were a near 1k option on UK cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Cetera

Could anyone recommend a good place that does ceramic coating - preferably the Limerick and Munster area? Also, should I bother with the advanced paint protection (€399) application that the dealer can provide if I’m getting a ceramic coat?

Thanks!

Don't bother with the Lifeshine from the dealers. Its just Autoglym polish slapped on by one of the lads in the valet bay.

I'm skeptical of ceramic coats too tbh, but D&D detailing down in Cork have a good rep.

Thanks Joe. Very helpful. Did you do anything to your CS to protect the paint?

There's a guy in Newcastle West that did my ST a few years ago, he was recommended here. MX Valeting

I gave it its first wash/detail last weekend, all DIY, and I was very happy with the results. I've spent big bucks on coatings with pro-detailers in the past and decided against it this time. I'm just not convinced the bang for buck is there. Detailers charge mad money for coatings these days and personally I get a strong whiff of snake oil.

With a bit of patience and the right (inexpensive) products, you can do as good a job yourself.

I actually picked up some bits from the aforementioned D&D.

I used GTechniq C2v3 which is both really easy to apply and seems to give great results. The paint is like glass after it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I've gone back to D&D for a wash the other day and it looks as good as the day they worked their magic with it.

Im going to pick up my own bits and work on it myself too though.

Thanks Lads. My last MK7 R had a ceramic coat applied from the previous owner and I thought it looked incredible, so that’s why I might go with it on the new purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I got the paint protection pack free after my car was delayed. It's about €100 worth of AutoGlym products which are generally considered cheap in the car detailing world. Ammo NYC is a good YouTube channel for detailing guides. If you're getting any ceramic costings go to a proper detailer especially as the cost should be similar.

A bit of homework and planning make washing the car easy. Bilt Hamber Auto Wheel is savage stuff if you have a pressure washer as you don't even need to use a brush or sponge it just rinses off all the brake dust, much quicker too if you have many spokes per wheel. CarPro do a good tar and iron remover.

Get a razor blade on a handle (hob cleaner tool from Woodies) and scrape the windscreen at a low angle to remove caked on stuff along with using auto clay with lots of water/lubricant and light movements.

I've only used AutoGlym wax and even that had the car shining, any wax will give it extra pop after a wash but cheaper stuff won't last as long

Proper mitts and drying/buffing towels are a must. I've a few different Microfiber Madness things. Windows can be tricky but the two towel method works well. Buff with one, dry with the other.

I have parking spaces outside my house so don't bother with the pressure washer anymore as I'd have to focus on not spraying neighbors cars or people :(

• Advertisement

Yeah, my wife had the lifeshine thing thrown in with her T-Roc early this year and the best part about it was the bag of goodies left in the boot. Probably at least €100-120 worth of autoglym products in a nice zipped up man bag.

Some of that stuff isn’t bad in fairness, quick detailing spray is handy and there’s tyre shine gel, tar remover, etc.

i just don’t believe any of the nonsense “lifeshine” claims. There is no such thing imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,180 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Dealers have a very healthy margin on upselling that sort of stuff. You then have to contend with is the youngster working part time in the valeting bay going to apply it without actually damaging the paintwork.

Thanks Lads. All very helpful. I’ll do a bit more research into the ceramic before purchasing.

I decided to go with an R in stock, which had slightly less spec, rather than pay €2500-€3000 more for a car that would likely arrive in March 2022 at the earliest. So, I cancelled my production order.

Spec now:

• Lapiz
    • Reversing Camera
    • Performance Pack
    • Pano sunroof
    • Winter pack

I’ll be missing out on DCC and the black pack. DCC was hard to let go, but my old R didn’t have it so I know what to expect.

I’ll have it next week at some stage :)

Very nice!

I think the performance pack gives you the 19” estorils, right?

As for DCC, in my short experience so far, I kinda find it hard to tell much difference between the modes from a suspension comfort perspective.

Yeah, I get the 19” estorils with the PP. Good to hear your experience of DCC so far. Pretty much all the reviews and articles I’ve read say that DCC is a must.

I’ll post a few pictures once I get the keys. I held onto the 0% fianance and have a service pack thrown in too - happy out!

Sounds like you struck a decent deal, is it the car in Pierses?

It sure is! In my experience over the years, they’ve always been great to deal with.

probably not too many other R’s on the forecourts at the moment.

Nice one, a friend of mine was in the showroom recently and sent me on pics of it. It looks incredible I must say. The seem to have sold already few too.

Will be good to hear real world ownership experiences from a former MK7 R owner.

Yeah, I'll be interested in hearing your initial thoughts on the new car too Cetera. Very best of luck with it.

A definite tip, install the "WeConnect" app on your phone now and register/login. If you have the VIN of the car you can add it to your account. Then the fun begins - you need to sit into the car when you get it and set yourself up as the "primary user" directly on the infotainment unit itself. Some people have had no hassle doing this, but for some reason it was a bit of an ordeal for me. If you don't do this, you'll be plagued with notifications/warning pop ups and various features in the car won't be enabled.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I really liked the look of it as soon as I saw it in the flesh. All those comments about design “flaws” are redundant when you see the whole car in person.

My old R order will likely be kept by Pierse Motors for those looking at an R for next year.

I’ll give you a summary of my feedback after a few days driving.

Joe, thanks for the tip RE WeConnect! I’ll get the VIN number from Pierse’s.

Advertisement