Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Sounds great.....I've made plans to meet up with a few buddies for the Man City v Pool game but I'd have been there in a heart beat, give the car it's first motorway blast.

Another time definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭shanec1928

By any chance are you in a rural location? i had a similar issue with the seat version of that, went to town where there was better signal and got logged in. now sure on the vw do you need the two keys with you, you need them for the seat one.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,430 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Yep, rural but I'd already tried a different location where I know there's full-bars 5G and it didn't work then either. They definitely reset something on their end because the same procedure that failed multiple times just worked last night. Yeah need the 2 keys too but that only comes into it after you've got past the login part which I couldn't get past.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Cetera

Does anybody know why there is a comfort setting on the PP Golf R without DCC added as an option? I can’t find anything online about it.

I had a test drive on a R with the PP but not DCC. The dealer couldn’t answer my question either. I put the car in comfort but I didn’t notice any difference in the damper feel / ride quality; albeit I was on a smooth road so difficult to tell.

It probably just puts everything else in "comfort" / relaxed mode, i.e. steering weight, engine noise, adaptive cruise, etc.

• Advertisement

Yeah that’s what I was thinking, even though you can specifically put the chassis into comfort, race or sport/normal so that makes me wonder…..though, I couldn’t seem to find the slider to pick the range of dampening settings.

Maybe it’s just lazy programming because I’m pretty sure VW wouldn’t give you DCC free with the PP.

definitely nothing for free with VW.

I'll take a few screenshots of what I have in those menus a bit later and post them up!

You also won't see the "Special" / Nurburgring mode without DCC (I think its similar on the R)

Thanks Joe. I definitely saw both the drift and NBR mode alright because it had the PP.

Here you go...

A car without DCC wouldn't have "DCC" in any of the screens. And you only get that 15-levels of DCC setting in Individual mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

I saw one reviewer who was driving a non dcc car suggest the chassis option may be the aggressiveness of the diff but they weren’t sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Lon

February order here for a Clubsport and still not got it - do I win a prize ?!

I believe it is in the country at this point though.

I don't think so, I thought maybe because of pan roof but see a few have come in with that already.

Just very unlucky !

It’ll be worth it 🙂

Any other options spec’d? Colour?

And if it’s in the country I’d be asking your dealer where the hell it’s been for at least the past fortnight. There hasn’t been another ship here since mine arrived 2 weeks ago.

Ah I know it'll be worth it 🙂

Nothing too mad , same wheels as you but boring blue !

I think they know they will find someone else no problems !!

Atlantic blue is a great colour. Was tempted by it myself.

I'd originally gone with Moonstone grey but then had a look at an Atlantic Blue and changed but now I'm 🤔!

Main thing that put me off is my wife has it already on a T Roc, so I didn’t want to get the same. It’s a stunning looking colour, don’t worry!

Thanks Joe. I watched a Volkswizard video earlier on the DCC vs Non DCC CS, which also cleared things up.

I have the option of getting an R now (without DCC), or waiting until my January 2022 order arrives, which will have DCC….decisions… but even the threat of a VRT increase may force my decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭hooch-85

That was Henry Catchpoole on the Carfection review of the Clubsport, I actually just watched it again yesterday. Probably one of the best reviews available on it really. He is up there as my favourite car journo at the minute.

I've gone down a fierce MK8 related rabbit-hole on youtube lately, the MK7 R was the last car that made me do that. At current pricing I'll have to bide my time for a few more years though!

• Advertisement

I told you that spin last weekend would be very expensive....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Had a bit of a scare there. Fob wasn't working yesterday without warning so I spent the day unlocking the car manually which is a pain when carrying things or having a passenger as I have to open their door manually. Holding the key up to the keyless icon barely worked so had to fiddle just to start the engine every time. Replaced the battery but no luck even though it was still in date. Bought fresh batteries but no pin to get the other one out until I was home.

Trying to start the car while out on errands and it was showing a gearbox error. Brand new set of batteries and the fob works now. Just hope that's the end of the errors...

One thing thats doing my head in is, we live on a steep enough and long hill with a decent gradient and the fecking CS always gears down, when I'm going down the hill, it would be pottering along at 45-50kmh and suddenly change down to 3rd gear or so, having to blip the paddles is a bo**ocks.

Trivial but it's the only real issue I have with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭shanethegriff

What mode do you have it in? Eco and comfort should allow you to coast down the gradient. I coast pretty much the whole way through my village (approx 1km) in comfort mode. I flick the paddle shifter once if I'm coasting too fast to bring in some engine braking.

Always eco mode.

I preemptively shift up now anyway so it's not a major deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭shanethegriff

I don't find any notable difference between eco and comfort in terms of fuel economy. I prefer to drive in comfort to have better throttle response. You can still coast in comfort mode. Sometimes you have to tap the accelerator to get it to coast in comfort whereas it does it entirely without prompt in eco mode.

I can't believe how economical the Clubsport is. My long-term average is around 37mpg. Not bad for 300 horses...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Modern turbo petrol engines are a lot better these days on fuel consumption. I'm getting 36mpg long term after 5000k in my BMW 128ti. My daily commute is 45 mins with a 50:50 of 100kmh and city traffic, and I tend to get around 35mpg. I leave the car in sport all the time as well, much prefer the throttle response and gearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,312 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Hey folks,

Would a golf r be a big improvement in terms of ride and seating comfort over a mk5 gti, or would it be a more rigid affair?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Muppet Man

I used to own a 2008 Mark V GTI, and currently own a Mark VII R. I didnt go from one car into the next, but from memory, the R is definitely more forgiving than the GTI, which I found very harsh sometimes. Take one for a test drive is the only way to know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭easyvision

New 221 offer for VW/Audi up online now. 4.9% for GTI/GTD/GTE, not great, beyond that no upgrade offer or anything for equipment etc, just the standard 12.99 service plan, which I think they end up giving free on their open week usually? Judging by observation only the MK8 hasn't been a big seller in Ireland so far at all in any spec. I suspect price increases have just gone too far and many people happy with their current car/Covid circumstances have changed peoples needs, combined with many Golf drivers switching to ID also.

Advertisement