Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Perfect, something to reach out to dealer about tomorrow.

Cheers for the update Joe.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Anyone for a Tiguan R van:

https://www.carsireland.ie/2881564

• Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭hooch-85

Its the only way around the €2,400 a year tax bill.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

And the VAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

Thinking I might cancel my order and use the few quid I have saved for investing. After waiting a few months without any word the spur of the moment big purchase buzz has all but gone at this stage. Doesn’t help that the discount I was offered initially was loaded on to my trade in (after adding hk last week) when the guy knew I was planning to sell privately and the trade in price was agreed from the outset.

• Advertisement

Called into a local AutoBuy and got offered 13k for the car.

Could very well be leaving in the next few days once the wheels are refurbished.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Anywhere I can find the service schedule for the Golf? Forums suggest different things for different countries and I'm confused. Going into the 4th service at just under 50,000km

VW website says ultimate service every 2 years, that's oil, air/cabin filter and spark plugs. No mention of brake fluid on any service so I'm wondering if there's other things that need to be done that aren't mentioned.

With the service plan as far as I know my car had cabin filter at 2nd service and brake fluid at 3rd service. Not aware of spark plugs or air filter being done.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

Your 4th service is an Ultimate, as you say oil, air, pollen and plugs. Then a Classic the next time. Then VW just advise to alternate between Ultimate and Classic for the rest of the cars life.

Pollen is every second service and plugs are every 4th service so this all ties back into Ultimate as your 4th.

Brake fluid is first done at your third service, then every second service after that so not due this year.

If plugs are every 4 years would they do something else on the ultimate service or would they still change them every 2 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

See, it's actually a bit messy. The intervals change when the car goes out of warranty, for some reason.

First 3 years and/ or under warranty:

Oil change every 15k/ 12 months

Pollen filter every 30k

Diesel filter or spark plugs every 60k

Engine air filter every 90k

Brake fluid after 3 years, regardless of mileage

If going on long life intervals it extends the oil services to 30k kms but the other bits stay the same.

After 4 years/ outside of warranty:

They recommend you to alternate between:

Classic service (oil and filter change)

Untimate service (oil, air, pollen and fuel filter/ spark plugs)

every other service, where you are doing 15k or 30k intervals makes no difference

and brake fluid every 24 months.

• Advertisement

Update from the dealer, the car is built and will be shipped this week.

Which is great news, might get it by end of August, start of September.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Excellent. Mine is the same... en route to the port. So we'll likely be on the same ship. I'm not sure how regularly the ships depart from Emden to Dublin these days but it's generally once every 2 weeks or so. So depending on timing, we could be on a boat this week or we may have just missed one and have to wait another ~10 days...

Dealer has also confirmed I am "one of the lucky ones" too re the 0% APR... so I assume you are in clover too in that regard!

Maybe time to start watching the ships from Emden.

Ya, I've got the 0% confirmed too.

So at the moment its all about playing the waiting game and the sooner the better.

There's a ship about to dock in Dublin tonight (the Patara) which obviously ours aren't on. That ship is back and over from Emden to Dublin every ~2 weeks or so.

And another one that regularly does this route, the Parana, is currently docked in Emden. So maybe that one is the one to watch.

There better be pictures when they arrive, we're also waiting for them to show up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Doyler99

Cheap and cheerful golf "R" 😝 I've never seen the R badge at the back on an r-line without the golf sign?

Fair enough people like to make their car 'theirs' and the R-Line is a factory, sportier option but imagine debadging a Golf, painting the brake calipers and sticking on an R badge and Prets. Come on now...

These discs just look ridiculous.

Post edited by DaveyDave on

Oh dear. Least it’s not a diesel.

And it's a DSG, so it won't be slowed down by manual shifting!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭kevodaly

As far as I know, my car is on the Patara which is about to arrive! So hopefully will see it in a week or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Anyone have any experiences using an aftermarket head unit in a golf mk7? I recently got a 2015 golf and I naively presumed it would be easy to replace the head unit for apple carplay/Android Auto.

This is not the case! Seems like an absolute nightmare to replace.

Patara has left Dublin and the Parana has left Emden, going by Marine Traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

Kenwood and Alpine both do replacement head units that are a direct fit for the MK7. Which head unit do you have? It may be cheaper to upgrade to a VW unit that supports Apply Carplay & Android Auto than buy the Kenwood or Alpine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Another new one up north.

This one has the proper screen (from what I can see of it) and the new bucket seats, and the DCT.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-i30-n-2-0-t-gdi-280ps-dct-auto-simply-pu/28845425

There are guys who will supply and fit a newer OEM unit for you that will support carPlay. It would be the best job, if not the cheapest, imo. If you're on FB, try asking the question on the Autostadt.ie group, its something that comes up often enough.

Avoid Chinese replica units.

My old R has turned up again, looking quite well. Feel slightly ill when I see the asking price. I didn't get much more for it 3.5 years ago. Colm Quinn offered me 26k for it at the time 😡

https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Volkswagen/Golf/fpa/202108116098236

Thanks, I will look into this. I believe I have a discovery pro headunit!

I noticed a lot of people purchasing a headunit called RCD330 taken out of golfs from the Chinese market. They seem OK, but it seems you lose some features.

There's a few lads on instagram installing them but none of them will touch mine as I have the emblem reversing camera! Will check out the link! Thanks!

It’s a 2015 Golf Right? Any idea when it was registered in 2015? It’s possible to activate CarPlay on the radios in cars built from about mid 2015 onwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭carsfan2

Incredible to think a six year old golf R would be this much today.

who would have thought?

Advertisement