Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Police Shooting USA. Rayshard Brooks.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,134 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

They done nothing wrong, he could have easily got one of their guns.
    What if he got a good punch and one hit their head off the ground... All bets were off as soon as he attacked.

By that logic you are fine with Police shooting protestors who struggle against the police when they get baton charged and defend themselves?

Why not just replace them with snipers and pick off people, much cleaner really.

Stay out of range ? he would have then easily escaped ?

A drunk dangerous highly violent man with a weapon , ye that's would be serving and protecting the publics intrest
    Danzy wrote: »
    Reason to not back away was the drunk and probably high on meth suspect had already shown himself to be very violent.

He had stolen a weapon and was now a threat to wider society and himself.

He was so out of it that he could not be safely let leave, others have right to life as well.

We know now he was a vicious child abuser, what if he had gone home and killed a child?

No one knows that is exactly why he had to he detained.

You may only view them as working class oils but they had the right to defend themselves and in split decisions they couldn't take the risk that this monster wouldn't killing of them..

Lads, read what you have just written.
    In your minds he is now a meth head monster who kills children, its a wonder the police didnt just shoot him on sight.

Also, this man is the "public" that the police are supposed to protect and serve, its not just happy white people.

Yes, stay out of range, if he "escapes" then so what? The public is no worse off than before the cops arrived on the scene and instead a father is still alive.
    and also the Police had all his details, his name, address nad were in possession of his car... where was he gonna go exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,687 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

GreeBo wrote: »
    By that logic you are fine with Police shooting protestors who struggle against the police when they get baton charged and defend themselves?

Why not just replace them with snipers and pick off people, much cleaner really.

Riot police in riot situation is a different situation so they handle it differently,
    Why do you expect different situation to be handle in the same manner ?

Use Some common sense ,

The man showed he is unpredictable and willing to do something violent and crazy , There is no way they could let him away run around in public with a dangerous weapon ,

Lads, read what you have just written.
    In your minds he is now a meth head monster who kills children, its a wonder the police didnt just shoot him on sight.

Also, this man is the "public" that the police are supposed to protect and serve, its not just happy white people.

Yes, stay out of range, if he "escapes" then so what? The public is no worse off than before the cops arrived on the scene and instead a father is still alive.
    and also the Police had all his details, his name, address nad were in possession of his car... where was he gonna go exactly?

Can you show me where I said he was on meth or that he killed children ?

"Yes, stay out of range, if he "escapes" then so what? The public is no worse off than before the cops arrived on the scene and instead a father is still alive "

Are you serious with the above statement ? So why would police turn up at any crime ?

He was drunk driving , then attacked a police man and discharged a dangerous weapon , How in gods name do you think it would be ok to let a man like that on the lose in public ?

Also by his reaction of being polite to suddenly violate when being arrested the police would no he was hiding something , in this case the fact he knew he was ging away for 4 years ,

Non related to the actually event but

A father still alive ? you do realise he was on parole ( only because of Covid) for torture of his own children ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭timsey tiger

Less lethal, it ain't non lethal.

It wasn't overboard he showed his intentions and many get shot and don't die, he chose to play that game and lost.

Classed as non lethal by police department, nothing is non-lethal, not even a damp rag. Unless, of course you wish to be inconsistent.

• Advertisement

Classed as non lethal by police department, nothing is non-lethal, not even a damp rag. Unless, of course you wish to be inconsistent.

Well over 1000 people killed from police taser in the last 10 years ,

Also the whole idea of a taser is to incapacitate someone, the police could not let a drunk violent man do that to them , he could have retrieved one of the fire arms ,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

I'm not okay with the reaction by the officer(shooting Rayshard), but hindsight is always very easy in these situations, especially when we have no experience of what these officers have dealt with and potentially deal with in every situation.

To put it into context.........the culprit was under the influence, was of the mindset that he was willing to wrestle 2 offices over a DUI, take one of their tasers, run away and turn around and point the taser to fire it at them. If he was willing to do this against an officer of the law, what would he potentially have done to an innocent bystander in trying to commandeer a car or vehicle, and what he may have done while escaping the scene in a stolen vehicle. The officers have a duty to other peoples safety too.

Very easy to sit on the sidelines and say what they "should" have done..........but the truth here is that no one here commenting has ever been in this situation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

"Yes, stay out of range, if he "escapes" then so what? The public is no worse off than before the cops arrived on the scene and instead a father is still alive "

Are you serious with the above statement ? So why would police turn up at any crime ?

He was drunk driving , then attacked a police man and discharged a dangerous weapon , How in gods name do you think it would be ok to let a man like that on the lose in public ?

Also by his reaction of being polite to suddenly violate when being arrested the police would no he was hiding something , in this case the fact he knew he was ging away for 4 years ,

A father still alive ? you do realise he was on parole ( only because of Covid) for torture of his own children ,

What is your source for that? His own family say differently. Here's what I found:

Mr. Brooks’ family said he wasn’t the violent troublemaker some are portraying him as. They knew him as kind, respectful, hardworking, goofy, and always happy, with a smile that spread from ear to ear.

His widow, Tomika Miller, praised him as a loving father during a news conference in Atlanta Monday morning. The night he died, he had planned to take his oldest daughter skating for her eighth birthday, she said.

His half-sister, Danielle Barbine of Toledo, loved him for his lisp, which turned “sis” into “sus,” and the “dusty cowboy boots” he wore at his construction job with ARK Restoration Construction while he lived in Toledo.

ARK owner Ambrea Mikolajczyk described him as “one of the best employees I’ve ever had,” though it was really his joyful spirit that made him stand out. She called him her “Ray of light.”

“I don’t know why they shot him. Why didn’t they just let him go home?” Mr. Barbine (his father) questioned, referring to Mr. Brooks’ initial request to park his vehicle and walk to his sister’s house nearby.

Mr. Barbine believes officers “prejudged” his son by the color of his skin and his criminal record, which shows several charges of theft, obstructing an officer, battery on a family member, and other misdemeanors.

“They thought they knew who he was before they stopped him,” Mr. Barbine said. “They didn’t know him.”

Tomika Miller, who was married to Brooks for eight years, said she "dropped to her knees" when she heard the news. "It was murder - that was not justified," Miller told CBS News. "He was shot running away. He wasn't dangerous. He wasn't coming at them in any kind of way to where they felt a threat, they shouldn't have felt threatened."

(His co-worker)
    I’ve never experienced this type of heartache. I can barely see the letters to type through the tears.
    Can I tell you who Rayshard “Ray” Brooks was?
    -He was kind.
    -He was loyal.
    -His smile would encapsulate his entire face.
    -His laugh was infectious.
    -Our clients loved him and would ask about him often.
    -He was one of the hardest working employees we ever had. There was nothing we asked him to do that he wouldn’t.
    -He was a fast learner.
    -He was the first one to arrive to work everyday and the last to leave, and he rode a bike no less.
    -He wanted to be the best he could for his family.
    -He was in Toledo to take care of his father.
    -He was funny.
    -He was dedicated.
    -He was always in good spirits.
    -He was proud of the work we were doing in the city.
    -He was proud to be apart of the ARK team.
    -We loved him and I know he knew that.
    -We always helped him when ever he needed us.
    -I’m so very sorry Ray that we couldn’t help you last night.
    -I’m so very sorry that we couldn’t protect you from that terrible fate.
    -I’m so very sorry we missed your call the other day.
    -I’m so very sorry we couldn’t do more.
    -I’m so very sorry we won’t get to build more awesome **** together.
    -I’m so very sorry we only had a short time with you.
    -The world was better with you in it.
    The ARK team, Kevin, or myself will never be the same without you! I’m so very sorry Ray!! 💔

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    That country is just tearing itself apart, a civil war wouldn't surprise me

which country?
    Iraq? Afghanistan? Libya? Egypt? Syria?

Stateofyou wrote: »
    What is your source for that? His own family say differently. Here's what I found:

Mr. Brooks’ family said he wasn’t the violent troublemaker some are portraying him as. They knew him as kind, respectful, hardworking, goofy, and always happy, with a smile that spread from ear to ear.

His widow, Tomika Miller, praised him as a loving father during a news conference in Atlanta Monday morning. The night he died, he had planned to take his oldest daughter skating for her eighth birthday, she said.

His half-sister, Danielle Barbine of Toledo, loved him for his lisp, which turned “sis” into “sus,” and the “dusty cowboy boots” he wore at his construction job with ARK Restoration Construction while he lived in Toledo.

ARK owner Ambrea Mikolajczyk described him as “one of the best employees I’ve ever had,” though it was really his joyful spirit that made him stand out. She called him her “Ray of light.”

“I don’t know why they shot him. Why didn’t they just let him go home?” Mr. Barbine (his father) questioned, referring to Mr. Brooks’ initial request to park his vehicle and walk to his sister’s house nearby.

Mr. Barbine believes officers “prejudged” his son by the color of his skin and his criminal record, which shows several charges of theft, obstructing an officer, battery on a family member, and other misdemeanors.

“They thought they knew who he was before they stopped him,” Mr. Barbine said. “They didn’t know him.”

Tomika Miller, who was married to Brooks for eight years, said she "dropped to her knees" when she heard the news. "It was murder - that was not justified," Miller told CBS News. "He was shot running away. He wasn't dangerous. He wasn't coming at them in any kind of way to where they felt a threat, they shouldn't have felt threatened."

(His co-worker)
    I’ve never experienced this type of heartache. I can barely see the letters to type through the tears.
    -He was kind.
    -He was loyal.
    -He was one of the hardest working employees we ever had. There was nothing we asked him to do that he wouldn’t.
    -He was a fast learner.
    -He was the first one to arrive to work everyday and the last to leave, and he rode a bike no less.
    -He was funny.
    -He was dedicated.
    The ARK team, Kevin, or myself will never be the same without you! I’m so very sorry Ray!! ��

These are all on public record on the Clayton County Gerogia court databes
    there are hundreds of documents with reports of the incidents

I haven't read them all but yes torture of his children is widely reported as one of them

Below is just a cover sheet from the courts records to give you an idea

12/30/20191Title : OPN:FUGITIVE WARRANT FILEDFUGITIVE WARRANT STATE OF GEORGIAPROBATION VIOLATION - FAILURE TO NOTIFY COMMUNITYSUPERVISION OF ADDRESS CHANGE, FAILURE TO COMPLETE THEFTPREVENTION CLASS - ORIGINAL OFFENSES: FALSE IMPRISIONMENT/CRUELTY TO CHILDREN/FAMILY VIOLENCE/BATTERY/SIMPLE BATTERYPARTY : D1 - BROOKS RAYSHARD 12/30/20192Title : BND:NO BOND SET (CLERKS)NO BOND SET BY THE STATE OF GEORGIAPARTY : D1 - BROOKS RAYSHARD 12/30/20193Title : HRG:FUG WARRANT HEARING SETDECEMBER 30, 2019 @ 11:00 A.M.PARTY : D1 - BROOKS RAYSHARD 12/30/20194Title : EVT:FUGITIVE WAIVE EXTRADITION532-000004668 issued by 203 ()Dated December 30, 2019. Court Reporter KENDRA CARROLLordered. State of Ohio: PADRAIC MCCLURE. Defendant,RAYSHARD BROOKS present. Defendant in open court orallyand in writing waived the right to issuance and service ofa warrant of extradition as provided for in Ohio RevisedCode Section 2963.09 and expressly waived all rights underthese sections of the Code, and consented to beingdelivered to the duly accredited agent of the State ofGeorgia. It is ordered that the Defendant be held nolonger than 14 days pending the arrival of the State ofGeorgia's agent.Bond is ordered set at $25,000 no 10%. Defendant isremanded into the custody of the Lucas County Sheriff'sDepartment.JUDGE LINDA J JENNINGSPARTY : D1 - BROOKS RAYSHARD 12/30/20195Title : EVT:ORDER FILED & JOURNAL NO $E JOURNALIZED 12-30-19PERTAINING TO:EXTRADITIONPARTY : D1 - BROOKS RAYSHARD 12/30/20196Title : EVT:ORDER FILED & JOURNAL NO $E JOURNALIZED 12-30-19PERTAINING TO:WAIVER OF EXTRADITION AND SURRENDERPARTY : D1 - BROOKS RAYSHARD 1/10/20201Title : ORD:FUG WARRANT DISMISSEDThe Court being notified that the defendant, RAYSHARDBROOKS was obtained by the demanding state on January 6,2020, this case is dismissed.Dated:JUDGE LINDA J JENNINGSPARTY : D1 - BROOKS RAYSHARD 1/10/20202Title : EVT:ORDER FILED & JOURNAL NO $E JOURNALIZED 01-10-2020PERTAINING TO:THIS CASE IS DISMISSEDPARTY : D1 - BROOKS RAYSHARD
    Some of his crimes including obstructing an officer, family battery violence, possessing weapons during a crime, receiving stolen property, felony cruelty to children, interfering with custody, false imprisonment, snatching his children without permission from the mother, and battery.

• Advertisement

Sorry i'll try that again the correct sheet didn't post

Basically he was serving a 7 year sentence for child abuse and released because of Covid , he was on felon probation and would have gone back to serve 4 years if arrested

Sorry im finding it difficult to post the actually court document here but you can find them

There even a video on his own youtube channel on May 24, Brooks is speaking about his current probation ,

Riot police in riot situation is a different situation so they handle it differently,
    Why do you expect different situation to be handle in the same manner ?

Use Some common sense ,

The man showed he is unpredictable and willing to do something violent and crazy , There is no way they could let him away run around in public with a dangerous weapon ,

Ah, so your argument is that this was a more dangerous situation than a riot with thousands of people and the police outnumbered (compared to this situation of 1 man and 2 armed police)

These are all on public record on the Clayton County Gerogia court databes
    there are hundreds of documents with reports of the incidents

I haven't read them all but yes torture of his children is widely reported as one of them

Below is just a cover sheet from the courts records to give you an idea

12/30/20191Title : OPN:FUGITIVE WARRANT FILEDFUGITIVE WARRANT STATE OF GEORGIAPROBATION VIOLATION - FAILURE TO NOTIFY COMMUNITYSUPERVISION OF ADDRESS CHANGE, FAILURE TO COMPLETE THEFTPREVENTION CLASS - ORIGINAL OFFENSES: FALSE IMPRISIONMENT/CRUELTY TO CHILDREN/FAMILY VIOLENCE/BATTERY/SIMPLE BATTERYPARTY : D1 - BROOKS RAYSHARD 12/30/20192Title : BND:NO BOND SET (CLERKS)NO BOND SET BY THE STATE OF GEORGIAPARTY : D1 - BROOKS RAYSHARD 12/30/20193Title : HRG:FUG WARRANT HEARING SETDECEMBER 30, 2019 @ 11:00 A.M.PARTY : D1 - BROOKS RAYSHARD 12/30/20194Title : EVT:FUGITIVE WAIVE EXTRADITION532-000004668 issued by 203 ()Dated December 30, 2019. Court Reporter KENDRA CARROLLordered. State of Ohio: PADRAIC MCCLURE. Defendant,RAYSHARD BROOKS present. Defendant in open court orallyand in writing waived the right to issuance and service ofa warrant of extradition as provided for in Ohio RevisedCode Section 2963.09 and expressly waived all rights underthese sections of the Code, and consented to beingdelivered to the duly accredited agent of the State ofGeorgia. It is ordered that the Defendant be held nolonger than 14 days pending the arrival of the State ofGeorgia's agent.Bond is ordered set at $25,000 no 10%. Defendant isremanded into the custody of the Lucas County Sheriff'sDepartment.JUDGE LINDA J JENNINGSPARTY : D1 - BROOKS RAYSHARD 12/30/20195Title : EVT:ORDER FILED & JOURNAL NO $E JOURNALIZED 12-30-19PERTAINING TO:EXTRADITIONPARTY : D1 - BROOKS RAYSHARD 12/30/20196Title : EVT:ORDER FILED & JOURNAL NO $E JOURNALIZED 12-30-19PERTAINING TO:WAIVER OF EXTRADITION AND SURRENDERPARTY : D1 - BROOKS RAYSHARD 1/10/20201Title : ORD:FUG WARRANT DISMISSEDThe Court being notified that the defendant, RAYSHARDBROOKS was obtained by the demanding state on January 6,2020, this case is dismissed.Dated:JUDGE LINDA J JENNINGSPARTY : D1 - BROOKS RAYSHARD 1/10/20202Title : EVT:ORDER FILED & JOURNAL NO $E JOURNALIZED 01-10-2020PERTAINING TO:THIS CASE IS DISMISSEDPARTY : D1 - BROOKS RAYSHARD
    Some of his crimes including obstructing an officer, family battery violence, possessing weapons during a crime, receiving stolen property, felony cruelty to children, interfering with custody, false imprisonment, snatching his children without permission from the mother, and battery.

Is there an ACTUAL link? And are those convictions? Because I don't see that here but I do see something that says "dismissed."

Regardless, someone's past does not entitle police to execute him. He could have a past AND STILL be a good man. As is clear and evidenced in the way his family and colleagues have spoken up for him.
    Police violence in the US is at unacceptable levels, and especially all the more shocking when you look at other police force's around the world who don't kill over 1,000 people in ONE year. Speaking of police, maybe you should focus on the killer cop a little more. Seeing as how he's the one who KILLED somebody, look into HIS past. Have you done that?
    The Atlanta Police Department released the disciplinary histories for both officers involved in the death of Rayshard Brooks Monday, revealing one has a dozen misconduct complaints. According to the Atlanta-Journal Constitution, Garrett Rolfe, the officer who shot Brooks twice in the back and killed him, received a written reprimand in 2017 for his use of force involving a firearm. He also has five vehicle accidents, four citizen complaints, and a firearm discharge in August 2015 on his record.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Is it hard to understand that you should only use deadly force when absolutely necessary? It is not absolutely necessary when someone is running away from you.

Brooks resisted arrest, assaulted the police, stole a taser, ran a short distance, stopped, turned, pointed a taser at cops and fired and then ran again. His taser had the capability to fire more shots. What were the cops to do, let him run and possibly turn again and try fire at them or someone else?

Remember the cops don't have the benefit of hindsight like me or you do.

Personally I think the cops took the right action.

If Brooks hadn't been drunk in charge of a vehicle, resisted arrest, assaulted two police officers, stole a taser and assaulted the cops with it, then I suspect Brooks would be alive today.

You may have noticed that I quoted 2 posts?

But he was already "lose in public". I also made the point that "he is public" and now he is dead. So demonstrably the
    public is worse off now, based on the police actions.

Was he sentenced to death? No, so nothing he did gave anyone the right to kill him. There is a process, you cant fast track that process and just shoot someone, because you have decided he is "a bad guy".

BattleCorp wrote: »
    Brooks ran, stopped, turned, pointed a taser at cops and fired and then ran again. His taser had the capability to fire more shots. What were the cops to do, let him run and possibly turn again and try fire at them or someone else?

Why would he shoot at someone else?
    Maybe police should just shoot all members of the public that they meet, just in case they later would go on to attack someone else?

Ah, so your argument is that this was a more dangerous situation than a riot with thousands of people and the police outnumbered (compared to this situation of 1 man and 2 armed police)

No its a different situation and incomparable ,

1, Police shooting into a mass crowd of angry protestors ,
    2 Police shoot a man who they stop for a routine violation and for no reason he attacks them and steals a weapon which he then discharges at them .

Does your common sense not allow you to see the above are totally different and warrant a different approach ?

Maybe police should just shoot all members of the public that they meet, just in case they later would go on to attack someone else?

Why would he drink drive,
    Why would he attack the police
    Why would he steal there taser
    Why would he fire it at them
    Why would he beat his wife
    Why would he beat his kids
    Why would he commit crime after crime for a ten year period ,

The guy acted like a lunatic because he was a lunatic, he was liable to do anything ,

Yea, you've demonstrated exactly zero instances where this happened, outside of pieces theorising about it's (lack of) efficacy. If the authorities want to make loud noises to deescalate or disperse people, they use flash bangs. No responsible gun owner is going to use "warning shots" in a civil scenario. If a situation is bad enough that someone has drawn their gun and feels threatened, it's probably bad enough that they need to be shooting at someone.

A neighbour near me here in Ireland had a coke head breaking down his front door with a hammer in the middle of the night (for absolutely no reason). My neighbour got his rifle and fired a shot into the lawn pretty near the coke head to get him to stop. My neighbour had small children in the house and was very fearful seeing as yer man was mental. The warning shot scared away the coke head so it was successful from that point of view.

A sad side effect of that warning shot was that the Gardai came and took away my neighbour's rifle for firing a warning shot.

Sorry, nothing to do with Brooks but just thought I'd mention it.

You may have noticed that I quoted 2 posts?

But he was already "lose in public". I also made the point that "he is public" and now he is dead. So demonstrably the
    public is worse off now, based on the police actions.

Was he sentenced to death? No, so nothing he did gave anyone the right to kill him. There is a process, you cant fast track that process and just shoot someone, because you have decided he is "a bad guy".

Your on the wind up

Your right the police should just let him do what he wanted and hoped for the best, after all he is part of the public.

No he decided he was the bad guy when he drunk drove, attacked the police, stole there weapon , discharged it at them ,

• Advertisement

After a guy gets knelt on until he's dead can you blame the guy for panicking thinking he too might just be beaten to death? Can you blame him for doing anything to get away including trying to defend himself. The guy wanted to get away and live. They had his car, his address, the lot. But they shot him dead anyway.

Pile of sh1te of an answer to be honest.

Floyd was illegally killed, I'm not arguing that fact. He didn't need to die. But are you saying that every single black man is within his right to act the way Brooks did because of what happened to Floyd? Bullsh1t.

You are half correct. Brooks did indeed want to 'get away'. He wanted to get away because he was about to be arrested for being drunk in charge of a vehicle. That's why he assaulted the cops, stole a taser, assaulted a cop with the taser and ran. What Brooks did wasn't defending himself, it was pure thuggery while trying to get away from the cops.

He was running away with a police taser after showing that he is not afraid to use it (he fired it at police officers). Who is to say that he wouldn't use it on someone else later in the night?

(His co-worker)
    -He was kind.
    -He was loyal.
    -He was a fast learner.
    -He was funny.
    -He was dedicated.
    The ARK team, Kevin, or myself will never be the same without you! I’m so very sorry Ray!! ��

He was jailed for torturing his kids FFS.

The above is a pile of bullsh1t. Nice lovable people don't torture their kids.

Brooks resisted arrest, assaulted the police, stole a taser, ran a short distance, stopped, turned, pointed a taser at cops and fired and then ran again. His taser had the capability to fire more shots. What were the cops to do, let him run and possibly turn again and try fire at them or someone else?

Remember the cops don't have the benefit of hindsight like me or you do.

Personally I think the cops took the right action.

If Brooks hadn't been drunk in charge of a vehicle, resisted arrest, assaulted two police officers, stole a taser and assaulted the cops with it, then I suspect Brooks would be alive today.

He was also DRUNK. Not in a rational mind to make rational decisions. Who calmly spoke to the officer for over 30 minutes I believe it was. The cop was sober who could have made better decisions too. And the double standard bs here is certainly at play. There are videos posted ALL over the internet of white people chasing cops, taking their batons and beating them with them, stealing their cars and they do NOT fire their weapons at them. Why the difference? If, if if... if the cops hadn't of escalated the situation (others get tickets and have their cars towed for DUI's), and IF the taser had of actually tased the cop, then there was another officer there who could have dealt with it too. The man was running AWAY. I doubt he would have even known he could fire it again, much less be able to aim while running while drunk. IF the cop hadn't of fired shots IN HIS BACK because he was running away, Brooks would be alive today.

He was jailed for torturing his kids FFS.

The above is a pile of bullsh1t. Nice lovable people don't torture their kids.

Link.

He was also DRUNK. Not in a rational mind to make rational decisions. Who calmly spoke to the officer for over 30 minutes I believe it was. The cop was sober who could have made better decisions too.

The cops didn't escalate the situation, Brooks escalated the situation. As you have said, the cops spoke to him calmly for 30 minutes. They determined he was drunk and attempted to make a lawful arrest. If Brooks complied, he would have been handcuffed and placed into the police car and taken to the station. He would also more than likely have gone back to jail for breaching the conditions of his release but that's his problem for making the decision to be drunk when behind the wheel of a car.

So far the cops have done absolutely nothing wrong. Brooks is the aggressor because he then resists arrest and assaults the police officers while trying to get away. By doing this, Brooks escalated the situation.
    And the double standard bs here is certainly at play. There are videos posted ALL over the internet of white people chasing cops, taking their batons and beating them with them, stealing their cars and they do NOT fire their weapons at them. Why the difference?

And there are plenty of videos showing the cops shooting white people who do this too. More white people get shot every year than black people and that's 100% a fact.

If, if if... if the cops hadn't of escalated the situation (others get tickets and have their cars towed for DUI's),

Again, the cops didn't escalate the situation, it was Brooks who did that by resisting arrest. Most people get arrested if they are caught DUI. And most people aren't on conditional release from prison. Brooks was in violation of the terms of his release so that again is a reason for arrest. White people also get arrested and 'booked' in the station for DUI.
    and IF the taser had of actually tased the cop, then there was another officer there who could have dealt with it too. The man was running AWAY.

Nah, he fired at the cop. It doesn't matter that he missed. He attempted to shoot a cop with the taser. If I fired a shot at a member of the ERU here in Ireland, do you think they'd treat me differently just because I missed? Do you think they'd give me a chance to get off a second shot at them?
    I doubt he would have even known he could fire it again, much less be able to aim while running while drunk.

Firstly, he knew how to fire it once, why wouldn't he be able to fire it again? And secondly, he wasn't falling around drunk. He was well able to assault the two cops, get the better of them and make off with one of their tasers.
    IF the cop hadn't of fired shots IN HIS BACK because he was running away, Brooks would be alive today.

You are 100% correct on this. But that situation arose because of the actions that Brook took.

The cops didn't escalate the situation, Brooks escalated the situation. As you have said, the cops spoke to him calmly for 30 minutes. They determined he was drunk and attempted to make a lawful arrest. If Brooks complied, he would have been handcuffed and placed into the police car and taken to the station. He would also more than likely have gone back to jail for breaching the conditions of his release but that's his problem for making the decision to be drunk when behind the wheel of a car.

So far the cops have done absolutely nothing wrong. Brooks is the aggressor because he then resists arrest and assaults the police officers while trying to get away. By doing this, Brooks escalated the situation.

And there are plenty of videos showing the cops shooting white people who do this too. More white people get shot every year than black people and that's 100% a fact.

Again, the cops didn't escalate the situation, it was Brooks who did that by resisting arrest. Most people get arrested if they are caught DUI. And most people aren't on conditional release from prison. Brooks was in violation of the terms of his release so that again is a reason for arrest. White people also get arrested and 'booked' in the station for DUI.

Nah, he fired at the cop. It doesn't matter that he missed. He attempted to shoot a cop with the taser. If I fired a shot at a member of the ERU here in Ireland, do you think they'd treat me differently just because I missed? Do you think they'd give me a chance to get off a second shot at them?

Firstly, he knew how to fire it once, why wouldn't he be able to fire it again? And secondly, he wasn't falling around drunk. He was well able to assault the two cops, get the better of them and make off with one of their tasers.

You are 100% correct on this. But that situation arose because of the actions that Brook took.

Where's the link about the kid torture I asked for?

No, the Cops escalated. He was drunk, they were sober. It's their job, or it should be, to de-escalate. As they are demonstrably able to do more often with white people. He didn't need to be arrested for one. He was calm and should have been able to go home.
    Two, do you have any idea the level of fear black people feel right now over interactions with the police and being arrested? It would take a lot of empathy to understand at that level because if you're white like me, we have and will never have to face that kind of fear. And once again, he was drunk and wasn't rational. I've been pissed drunk. Bet you have? How many of us have been absolutely P*ssed and done or said something we shouldn't have. It shouldn't equal a death sentence.
    I know your statement to be false about violating conditions of release and getting arrested, because I lived in the US for many years and I personally know people are speaking up about this that had similar pasts (obv reformed) and that didn't happen to them.
    Yeah, it matters that he missed. Police can track him down, they know where he lives. Where he works. They could run after him. They could taser him first (another cop there, remember?) but they didn't even try any less lethal method first. See video I just posted of a white dude a year ago who stole a cop's weapon, beat them with it and stole their car. No shots fired.

White people in the US are the racial majority. They make up about 70% of the population, Black people about 12%. But when you look at the rate of police violence, Black people are disproportionately killed by police in the US. A Black person in America is roughly three times more likely than a white person to be killed by police.
    There is overwhelming evidence of racial bias in the criminal justice system, in everything from policing to sentencing.

• Advertisement

Link.

Not the most reliable of sources but have a look at Brooks in the video clips saying the moment that he steps out of line he goes back to jail.

https://www.yc.news/2020/06/15/rayshard-brooks-own-family-accused-him-of-cruelty-to-children-family-battery-beatings/

Advertisement