Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School reopenings -current plan WAS McHugh's plan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭Rosita

Will Yam wrote: »
    I never “whinged” about teachers. But dont let that stop you.

What i said - had you bothered to read it - was i commended a posters school because they seemed to be very pro-active at addressing the challenges to be overcome.

It was a pleasant change to see focus on solutions rather than endless iterations of problems. Rather like the health sector, supermarket sector, restaurant sector and many other diverse sectors, all with differing challenges.

And as for the Leaving Cert, it was a reasonable question to ask, and now it has been answered.

The "solutions rather than problems" angle set the bar staggeringly high for you. Any thinking person will see problems and this forum gives voice to that. The only place that you can have solutions without acknowledging problems is in an interview answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

amacca wrote: »
    Didnt you come on saying it was nice to see solutions being talked about rather than problems as if all thats ever talked about is problems (implication being teachers are whingers, maybe thats not what you meant but i imagine most people might take it up that way)

Not surprised someone took issue with it tbh

In any event whats wrong with teachers on a teaching forum discussing issues/problems with reopening during covid.....it doesnt have to be obstructionist

It coukd raise awareness
    Prompt a solution or possible solutions tried 8n other schools
    Or even just allow a bit of venting/getting it off the chest with insurmountable issues/niggles

None of that is necessarily a bad thing to see for students or parents

It doesnt need someone interjecting say8ng how nice it is to see solutions (and all that implies) .....certainly not doing it and expecting it to be taken lying down anyway

Thanks for that.

Please note it was you, not me, that introduced the concept of teachers being whingers into this discussion.

I can only wonder why.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,902 ✭✭✭Rosita

Will Yam wrote: »
    Thanks for that.

Please note it was you, not me, that introduced the concept of teachers being whingers into this discussion.

I can only wonder why.

You are being modest. The other poster might have used the word 'whingers' but in fairness to you the concept was introduced by you with your 'solutions rather than problems' cliché.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Will Yam

Rosita wrote: »
    You are being modest. The other poster might have used the word 'whingers' but in fairness to you the concept was introduced by you with your 'solutions rather than problems' cliché.

I find it remarkable that because I complimented a particular school/principal on their very positive and progressive attitude to getting their school up and running that some on here seek to invoke terminology like “whinging teachers” etc.

It’s almost as I touched a nerve.

One would almost think there are some who would prefer to focus on problems rather than on solutions. Surely not?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,143 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Mod: This can stop now, unless people want to take a break from the forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

I had an inspection last year, a small little fella who was clearly very wary of my class of first years, all of whom were behaving impeccably. He addressed them briefly and his voice was shaking. Despite his obvious inability to communicate with teenagers he still had the cajones to tell me everything I was doing wrong. In the difficult months ahead I will find comfort in the notion that he has to stand in front of classes all day, the only adult in the room, in terror of perfectly harmless students. It's a lovely thought, but I'd hate for anybody I know to have him as a teacher.

I know this thread is now ancient history and we're all just getting on with it, but I have an amusing update on the above post...
    The little chappie in the shiny suit who was so nervous when faced with my harmless little first years has been transmogrified, he has evolved, he has levelled-up! He is no longer a lowly expert in the teaching of a single subject. He is now an expert in the prevention of the spread of infectious diseases. He returned to our school in the exalted role of Covid inspector!

A genius! A polymath! A modern-day Leonardo da Vinci!

Why is a great mind such as his wasted in the dept of education? Why isn't he running the country?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

I know this thread is now ancient history and we're all just getting on with it, but I have an amusing update on the above post...
    The little chappie in the shiny suit who was so nervous when faced with my harmless little first years has been transmogrified, he has evolved, he has levelled-up! He is no longer a lowly expert in the teaching of a single subject. He is now an expert in the prevention of the spread of infectious diseases. He returned to our school in the exalted role of Covid inspector!

A genius! A polymath! A modern-day Leonardo da Vinci!

Why is a great mind such as his wasted in the dept of education? Why isn't he running the country?

What vignettes of excellence did he dispence?

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭beveragelady

Don't know. He didn't come near me, he was too busy dashing about, surrounded by management like something out of The West Wing. I was told he made some observation about a box of tissues. Twit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

I was just thinking about the whole school thing. Despite the ballot nothing has changed. Close contact is still farcical in school terms. Ventilation is a joke. Etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Bobtheman wrote: »
    I was just thinking about the whole school thing. Despite the ballot nothing has changed. Close contact is still farcical in school terms. Ventilation is a joke. Etc etc
    I’m sure what happened was that someone pointed out to the unions that the schools can’t be closed, and that there’s no other solution because most schools don’t have the space to do it properly without leaving half of the students at home.
    It’s not satisfactory, obviously, but what could they do, realistically?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

What vignettes of excellence did he dispence?

We had one
    She asked if we filled out the return to work form, if we had watched the videos and that was about it. She spoke to the principal for a while, peeped into my room and nodded but never came close to anyone and skipped sharpish out of the place.

There was no chance to ask questions about anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

I am absolutely raging. A class in my son’s school is currently shut. The whole class need to get tested. Siblings are allowed to attend school.
    Where is the logic!! I am really feeling for the teachers.
    Why aren’t the unions saying anything about this? Surely to God if someone is waiting for a test the whole family should be restricting their movements :(

Millem wrote: »
    I am absolutely raging. A class in my son’s school is currently shut. The whole class need to get tested. Siblings are allowed to attend school.
    Where is the logic!! I am really feeling for the teachers.
    Why aren’t the unions saying anything about this? Surely to God if someone is waiting for a test the whole family should be restricting their movements :(

Only applies to those that are tested due to symptoms. If they are being tested due to being a close contact then it's business as usual for the rest of the household.

Only applies to those that are tested due to symptoms. If they are being tested due to being a close contact then it's business as usual for the rest of the household.
    They are being tested as they are a close contact. It’s nonsense.
    I suppose I will have to wait and see if sibling is in on Thursday. :(

I have no faith in the hse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Random sample

They are being tested as they are a close contact. It’s nonsense.
    I suppose I will have to wait and see if sibling is in on Thursday. :(

I have no faith in the hse.

If close contacts of close contacts all had to isolate where would it end? They have to put a safe limit on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

https://www.newstalk.com/news/government-reveals-priority-plan-for-coronvirus-vaccine-1118806?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1607437178

I guess they don’t plan on reopening after Xmas so if teachers and students are so far down the list of priorities
    Makes me laugh that this “
    People aged between 18 and 64, living or working in crowded places.” is seperate and higher on the list than school staff
    That is describing classroom/school environments surely ........

Wait till the unions get a hold of this

If close contacts of close contacts all had to isolate where would it end? They have to put a safe limit on it.

Well I think the household should have to restrict their movements. I will be keeping my younger boy off if/when it hits my older boy’s class. No big deal.
    I am currently on maternity leave but still receiving school emails. This weekend was a big joke....one email saying on one in the school was a close contact but yet 2 days later another case in the school.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

km79 wrote: »
    I don't think the unions care, or else they have no cards to play.

NOTHING has changed since the very first mention of full reopening in September. Gotten a few emails to tell us to keep the windows open and we'll be grand, but nothing has improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭Treppen

I don't think the unions care, or else they have no cards to play.

NOTHING has changed since the very first mention of full reopening in September. Gotten a few emails to tell us to keep the windows open and we'll be grand, but nothing has improved.

We'll the ASTI ballotted their members on Covid

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭French Toast

School of 600ish here. Got this far with only 2 cases, was convinced we'd be closed within the month of September.

Interested to see what decision will be made in regards to the LC this year. The next term always flies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭Random sample

Well I think the household should have to restrict their movements. I will be keeping my younger boy off if/when it hits my older boy’s class. No big deal.
    I am currently on maternity leave but still receiving school emails. This weekend was a big joke....one email saying on one in the school was a close contact but yet 2 days later another case in the school.

On what basis though? I don’t think close contacts of close contacts of cases have to restrict movements anywhere, so it’s not a hse issue. If an entire class and their families had to restrict movements for every case in a school there would be nobody in my school.

Two weeks of everyone in my household at home for each case in any of our schools would be a very big deal for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

School of 600ish here. Got this far with only 2 cases, was convinced we'd be closed within the month of September.

But can you be sure of that? My friend works in my local school at home. According to her there have been 2 cases, the parents received 2 HSE notification letters, and the principal notified staff of 2 cases.

However, I personally know from family and neighbours who attend the school, 14 students from the school who have had Covid while attending school since September, and 2 staff members.

But can you be sure of that? My friend works in my local school at home. According to her there have been 2 cases, the parents received 2 HSE notification letters, and the principal notified staff of 2 cases.

However, I personally know from family and neighbours who attend the school, 14 students from the school who have had Covid while attending school since September, and 2 staff members.

Similar situation in the school where I work.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭French Toast

2 cases we've been notified of, then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭solerina

Similar in my school, small official number, much larger number of students who have actually been infected (confirmed) but stayed at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

solerina wrote: »
    Similar in my school, small official number, much larger number of students who have actually been infected (confirmed) but stayed at home.
    Same here too. We’ve only had one case, officially, plus one staff member. I know of another four cases, and another staff member, and those are just the ones I know about. The principle said something like if the parents identify it and keep the kids home from then, it’s nothing to do with the school, so the school doesn’t have to do anything. Doesn’t sound right to me, but I heard it directly from the principal.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,266 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

All Welsh schools are going to online classes.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Germany closing early too to facilitate Christmas

Meanwhile we are apparently due to get guidance on Carol singing etc. We haven’t even gotten it yet and it’s the tenth of December...

Meanwhile we are apparently due to get guidance on Carol singing etc. We haven’t even gotten it yet and it’s the tenth of December...

The preferred DES publication, The Irish Times had it this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,148 ✭✭✭✭km79

A joke
    A bit of guidance around the Mocks would be nice as well.....

Advertisement