Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School reopenings -current plan WAS McHugh's plan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

They probably have to take their holidays!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

I think that’s a disgrace. Have they an elite team doing the maths on all 420,000 results? Surely they could have more people working on it to get it done on time?

I would think the chief examiner and possibly advising team could be involved for their subject??

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

https://www.rte.ie/news/education/2020/0716/1153786-leaving-cert-results/

7th September results

11th September CAO offers

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

I’d like to say it’s unbelievable but ........

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Sept. 7 they're saying on the news.

Absolute nonsense. Why didn’t they hire examiners you help collate the grades?

• Advertisement

Millem wrote: »
    Absolute nonsense. Why didn’t they hire examiners you help collate the grades?

As ABBA sang about years ago - Money, Money, Money :)

They sent free emails instead saying examiners 'may be needed.'

I assume the results will only be available online ?
    Or are schools going to be closed that day to allow LC students to come in and collect results ?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

As ABBA sang about years ago - Money, Money, Money :)

They sent free emails instead saying examiners 'may be needed.'

Did they refund the LC fees?

Millem wrote: »
    Did they refund the LC fees?

And JC as well but that is miniscule to the payment of superintendents and written examiners and the postage bill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

I can’t even... what is wrong with them??! This is absolutely insane

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Exams to run in November subject to public health guidance.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

Exams to run in November subject to public health guidance.

I wonder who is going to supervise and correct them? You know.... seeing as teachers will be busy teaching.... it's almost like the Department of Education don't know how the education system works...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,452 ✭✭✭History Queen

Anyone know what the story is about students having to opt in to receive their grades again? Was this always meant to happen, went over my head if it was.

https://www.education.ie/en/Press-Events/Press-Releases/2020-press-releases/PR20-07-16a.html

Also...WOW...A THURSDAY circular....

• Registered Users Posts: 15,870 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

As if there wasn't enough drama for this years LC students. Ah well, not much can be done I suppose since this is the message.

Ironically the new administration is only in power a wet week, and it's not coming across as being very effective. But I digress.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Icsics

‘Operate seamlessly’ seems a bit of a reach

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

I would think the chief examiner and possibly advising team could be involved for their subject??

No, SEC are not involved at all.

Are they hoping there’ll be so few sitting exams in November that they can run regional centres, or have them all in athlone like the late June resits or those who were sick/had a bereavement?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

SEC were not involved in this process at all. Person I know in Athlone told me only four staff were transferred over but everyone else is DES.

Ironically the new administration is only in power a wet week, and it's not coming across as being very effective. But I digress.
    In fairness to the new team in, you couldn't blame them, they inherited an absolute SH*T show and are doing this best to piece a solution back together. Old administration cocked up everything they went at, and all on a Friday at 6pm........

Are they hoping there’ll be so few sitting exams in November that they can run regional centres, or have them all in athlone like the late June resits or those who were sick/had a bereavement?
    SEC were not involved in this process at all. Person I know in Athlone told me only four staff were transferred over but everyone else is DES.

That's scary - I can't understand how they couldn't be involved. The DES have shown what they know about the operations of schools which is very little. No wonder they are messing up now.

Seemingly SEC couldn't be involved because there was no assessment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Anyone know what the story is about students having to opt in to receive their grades again? Was this always meant to happen, went over my head if it was.

https://www.education.ie/en/Press-Events/Press-Releases/2020-press-releases/PR20-07-16a.html

Also...WOW...A THURSDAY circular....

Doesn't affect us, that's why it came out on a Thursday.

I think the opt in has to do with a calculated grade had to be submitted for all students to preserve class ranking, then if a student doesn't want them they can opt out.

I'm sure there are a few that do genuinely want to sit the exams, but also some who opted out to force the Dept/SEC to run the exams

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

That's a good point. English, Irish and Maths will probably have the largest number of candidates so a timetable for those would be largely the same as normal. But if only a small number opt to sit the exams, in theory multiple exams could take place at the same time where there is no overlap for candidates, shortening the timetable overall.

According to this report 878 did not apply for calculated grades.
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/116-students-register-for-calculated-grades-after-leaving-cert-deadline-1004248.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

Seemingly SEC couldn't be involved because there was no assessment.

Who's doing the calculations then?

Treppen wrote: »
    Who's doing the calculations then?

DES with a handful of SEC staff temporarily transferred.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,643 ✭✭✭Bobtheman

From what I gather on this thread we are expected back to school . To be in the school building teaching and also live stream? Zoom classes. Really??!

Bobtheman wrote: »
    From what I gather on this thread we are expected back to school . To be in the school building teaching and also live stream? Zoom classes. Really??!

Haha.... NO.

Maybe in some schools, but there’s no way I could teach some of my classes like that, and I’d imagine if the parents of the ones in attendance were aware of how their children behave in school, they wouldn’t want other parents listening either.

Even taking aside the behavioural issues, some weak students need a lot of attention that I wouldn’t want parents at home listening to.

Maybe the inspectorate could ask for random zoom codes so they can join in too to make sure we all have our learning outcomes covered.

Bobtheman wrote: »

“Local arrangements “

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭The Wordress

Thread title should be reworded I suppose.

I would not want to be in a position to have to organise any of this hot mess.

There have only been 3 principalships advertised in my county since June, when usually there are 10+. I really feel for anyone in leadership positions atm :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

Thread title should be reworded I suppose.

I would not want to be in a position to have to organise any of this hot mess.

There have only been 3 principalships advertised in my county since June, when usually there are 10+. I really feel for anyone in leadership positions atm :eek:

That's true, it implies that there was/is/will be a plan.

Advertisement