Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asking work colleague for money for giving lift to work

Options

Comments

I'm one of those that doesn't take cash for doing a favor but I do expect it paid back. That might mean I need a dig it at some point or just covering a coffee or a lunch now and again. Once there's a gesture of gratitude I think that's enough when you aren't really out of pocket.

I don't understand people like this, people who will take but never repay. Its just so senselessly mean and lacking in social awareness.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

New fella started in a place I worked who lived a mile away from me but in the opposite direction to work.
    Asks me for a lift to work till he gets his own transport sorted.

No bother I says.I'll collect you at 5.30 am on the button.Now dont be late cause I wont be hanging around waiting for ya.

Sure enough no sign of my man at the collection point..I do a u-turn and away to work.
    Phone starts ringing yer mans gone mad..No going back now chief..Good luck.

Thems the rules I say.

He never asked again.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭pgj2015

stratowide wrote: »
    New fella started in a place I worked who lived a mile away from me but in the opposite direction to work.
    Asks me for a lift to work till he gets his own transport sorted.

No bother I says.I'll collect you at 5.30 am on the button.Now dont be late cause I wont be hanging around waiting for ya.

Sure enough no sign of my man at the collection point..I do a u-turn and away to work.
    Phone starts ringing yer mans gone mad..No going back now chief..Good luck.

Thems the rules I say.

He never asked again.:D

Dead right. I once did someone I knew a favour by giving them a lift, about an hour journey. She wasn't ready when I arrived, wasn't ready for about a half hour, I was late for my best friends 1 year memorial mass, nearly missed the whole thing, I was livid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,355 ✭✭✭ofcork

Used to drop a neighbour to work usually me waiting for him never offered anything yet dropped another lad home from work on my way home and would buy a drink anytime id see him out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

pgj2015 wrote: »
    it can work both ways though. I remember a friend of mine years ago who didnt drive, college student, single mother. this older guy who was in her class at college gave her a lift to college most days, charged her 60 euro a week for petrol, as my friend didnt know how much it cost to run a car. he was easily making a profit from her the miserable prick, off a single mother who didnt work.
    low life. How long was the journey?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    I am forever getting myself into situations like this lol. If I were you, I'd just stop giving him lifts altogether unless you're friends. Life's too short to be annoyed by something every day, when it's completely avoidable. Tell him to shag off. He's either taking you for a mug or has 0 social skills. Either way, it's time to give him the boot. Asking for cash would make you look scabby, even though you've been giving him lifts for months. People have short memories
    how do you get out or do you?

low life. How long was the journey?

Around 40 minutes. id say he was around 50, nothing to him. lots of people wouldn't take anything from someone in her position, he didn't have to go out of his way to collect her.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,825 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’d only give a lift if it was to somebody who was either a five minute or so detour or less or I was passing their front door.

I’d make an exception if it was something like a colleague who was say in a car accident and would be without a car for a couple of weeks.

Otherwise anyone joining a company and a shift who was not a driver and was relying on public transport is doing so with full knowledge of what they need to do, to get to work.. cozying up to someone however and taking daily transport without offering a few bob or some sort of kindness and recognition, nahhhh, users.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Tork

Around 40 minutes. id say he was around 50, nothing to him. lots of people wouldn't take anything from someone in her position, he didn't have to go out of his way to collect her.

How long did this go on for before she was told he was ripping her off?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Can I ask why you want them to pay you if it's on your direct route?

Is it that it annoys you and you like to have your own space in the mornings? If so make up some excuse as to why you have to go a different way or something, but don't ask them for money :V

I've often given lifts to colleagues that were on my way home, no problem but I don't like it becoming a regular thing. I like to do my own thing in the morning/evenings and don't want acquaintances hanging out of me and having to force small talk.

But it's easy to stop it, next time they ask or bring it up just say 'actually I'm headed another way today, sorry!'

Or 'I have to get a few messages before work, won't be able to collect you sorry!' then just say something similar for a few days until they stop asking and start getting the bus. ha

• Advertisement

Tork wrote: »
    How long did this go on for before she was told he was ripping her off?

id say it went on for a year. she never said anything to him about it. I told her half way through the year, i only found out then.

Obviously she had no other option. I'd not have given the fcker another cent after that.

Tork wrote: »
    Obviously she had no other option. I'd not have given the fcker another cent after that.

Yeah she didn't have any other options really.

At that money she'd have been well on the way to running her own car.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

nails1 wrote: »
    Is it acceptable to ask a colleague for cash for picking him up and giving lift to work. His house is on my direct route to work so I’m not going out of way or spending extra cash to give him a lift in and dropping him home.

No not really. You are not a taxi but a colleague.

You are within your rights to say you can't pick him up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Treppen

The school I'm teaching in one of the teachers used to go out of their way to inform new staff of where people lived and then doorstep the teacher with the newbie beside them blagging a lift.
    Thankfully most have a car now but I got stung once thinking it would be for a month or so till they 'got their test'.
    Late every morning + evening, always had to stop somewhere for an errand or coffee. Went on for 5 months until they got a car. I underestimated how valuable my own personal time in the car was. Instead it was constant talk about the job.

Treppen wrote: »
    Late every morning + evening, always had to stop somewhere for an errand or coffee. Went on for 5 months until they got a car. I underestimated how valuable my own personal time in the car was. Instead it was constant talk about the job.

That is some liberty.

No not really. You are not a taxi but a colleague.

You are within your rights to say you can't pick him up though.

True about not being a taxi, it is illegal to ask for money for a lift if you are not a taxi, the person could report you for asking, if iloveyourvibes was seen taking money from the person for the lift they could end up in court.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭kingstevii

True about not being a taxi, it is illegal to ask for money for a lift if you are not a taxi, the person could report you for asking, if iloveyourvibes was seen taking money from the person for the lift they could end up in court.

Of course they could... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Heckler

I drove 2 lads to work back and forth but have stopped now due to social distancing. I used to charge them a tenner a week each which I think is fair enough. Then I stopped because someone told me my insurance could be null and void if I was getting paid for transporting while not having a PSV licence.

Apparently its dependent on your insurance company but if what you ask for covers the like of wear and tear and fuel and once you're not actually making a profit it ok.

I like my peace and quiet in the car especially in the mornings but you would feel like a bit of a d!ck refusing someone whos not out of your way.

I would never expect to be chauffeured to work and back and never put my hand in my pocket. Thats just ignorance.

• Advertisement

Heckler wrote: »
    I drove 2 lads to work back and forth but have stopped now due to social distancing. I used to charge them a tenner a week each which I think is fair enough. Then I stopped because someone told me my insurance could be null and void if I was getting paid for transporting while not having a PSV licence.

Apparently its dependent on your insurance company but if what you ask for covers the like of wear and tear and fuel and once you're not actually making a profit it ok.

I like my peace and quiet in the car especially in the mornings but you would feel like a bit of a d!ck refusing someone whos not out of your way.

I would never expect to be chauffeured to work and back and never put my hand in my pocket. Thats just ignorance.

True.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,358 ✭✭✭corner of hells

End up in court for what ?

The problem could be if you were in an accident, insurance company refuses to pay out as you were accepting money and the lads who were more than happy to take a lift sue you for "whiplash" or some such. Never underestimate the lure of money. These are work collegues, not friends. You could get royally fcked for doing someone a favour.

The problem could be if you were in an accident, insurance company refuses to pay out as you were accepting money and the lads who were more than happy to take a lift sue you for "whiplash" or some such. Never underestimate the lure of money. These are work collegues, not friends. You could get royally fcked for doing someone a favour.

Why or how would the insurance company find out you were getting a couple of euro for petrol for giving somebody a lift ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,825 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Treppen wrote: »
    The school I'm teaching in one of the teachers used to go out of their way to inform new staff of where people lived and then doorstep the teacher with the newbie beside them blagging a lift.
    Thankfully most have a car now but I got stung once thinking it would be for a month or so till they 'got their test'.

That’s some pisstake... sounds like the type of person who is seeking an ‘IN’ with the newbie, looking for an ally in the job and setting them up with transport etc but in doing so putting the driver under a compliment...and in an extremely awkward position..

Sounds the the pisstaker set you up with another pisstaker too who seems to think they have struck gold with a ‘chauffeur’ free of charge instead of a regular lift from a very helpful person from home to work and back.

I’d be marking both their cards, to the colleague who ‘set up’ the situation... “you know what, don’t put me under a compliment like that again, I want to decide who if anybody travels with me to work”.

With the pisstaker I’d tell him you are committed to something else such as a gym class 3 mornings a week and as such he is better off making alternative arrangements.... fûck him if he sees through it.. getting you to stop here there and everywhere is a piss rip, no way I’m standing for that. You ARE being taken advantage of, life is too short and working weeks are too long for accepting that craic in your life.

When the insurance assessors ask the other people involved in said accident.

"Were you reimbursing Hecker for the lift to work ?"

"Yes"

Claim denied. Insurance companies will use every trick in the book to get out of paying out.

When the insurance assessors ask the other people involved in said accident.

"Were you reimbursing Hecker for the lift to work ?"

"Yes"

Claim denied. Insurance companies will use every trick in the book to get out of paying out.

Heckler could also say "no" and ask for proof.

My downfall was issuing receipts......:pac:

You get my point though. He said/I said. 2 against one.

Its just not worth it I reckon.

My downfall was issuing receipts......:pac:

You get my point though. He said/I said. 2 against one.

Its just not worth it I reckon.

It probably isn't if you cause an accident. I've a sister who's an insurance underwriter and said insurance companies love take-away delivery drivers and repeated suspect fraud but other than that just through their usual investigation with claims

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

Tell him the lifts to work have ended. You dont owe him anything. Let him on to use someone else. Life is too short.

Advertisement