Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asking work colleague for money for giving lift to work

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,261 ✭✭✭Tork

I don't mind giving colleagues an occasional lift if they're stuck but there's no way I'd ever want it to turn into a regular thing. What'd really tee me off is having to change my routine to facilitate someone else. Part of the enjoyment of having a car is the flexibility it brings. There's many a time I've left work and gone somewhere other than straight home. Having to ferry this colleague around takes that away and it's something I know I'd start to resent pretty quickly. I wouldn't ask him for money because that simply cements the arrangement and makes it harder to back out of. I'd be inventing a gym to go to straight after work or something else that entails going in a different direction.

The insurance angle is something else to think about. If you had an accident, don't rule out your colleague putting in a claim. And maybe if you're accepting money for carrying them to work, it's invalidating your policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

I fcukin detest stinges

Augeo wrote: »
    Was any offered?

I did. They declined.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Kylta wrote: »
    I'm curious to know the passenger who gets a lift of the OP, has the passenger done him any favours over the last four months. Its the passenger repaying him for his generosity in kind. Maybe buying him his lunch, a few pints if his in the local etc?

Has evidently done none of the above.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,104 ✭✭✭blackbox

Your passenger is a miserable leech with a sense of entitlement.

I would not ask for money as he will then expect to treat you like a paid service and complain any time you are late or need to go somewhere else.

End the arrangement rather than ask for money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Tork wrote: »
    I don't mind giving colleagues an occasional lift if they're stuck but there's no way I'd ever want it to turn into a regular thing. What'd really drive me cracked is having to change my routine to facilitate someone else. Part of the enjoyment of having a car is the flexibility it brings. There's many a time I've left work and gone somewhere other than straight home. Having to ferry this colleague around takes that away and it's something I know I'd start to resent pretty quickly. I wouldn't ask him for money because that simply cements the arrangement. I'd be inventing a gym to go to straight after work or something else that entails going in a different direction.

The insurance angle is something else to think about. If you had an accident, don't rule out your colleague putting in a claim. And maybe if you're accepting money for carrying them to work, it's invalidating your policy.

It has to be repeated re insurance that you are allowed to take a payment to cover the cost of travel from passengers and it will not invalidate insurance.

All policies have it listed if you ever take your time to read. And it's not hidden away ;)

I never worry about such things because I don't give lifts ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 957 ✭✭✭80j2lc5y7u6qs9

Never travelled in any car share without paying. Just invent a fear of covid OP.

I did a once off job for someone once who did not pay the amount I asked and she was very weathy. I didn't agree a price at the start. Next time she asked I told her that a price would have to be set at the start. she lost interest

Now anyone who asks i tell them they will have to pay and we will have to agree the price before i start.Its amazin the fok want you to work free because the 'know' you

So OP learn by this and if anyone asks you again set your rules before hand

I've always offered to pay for the petrol too. Or if that's refused (as is usually the case for these one-offs), I do the driving next time there's a reason to go somewhere. Nobody likes a stinge and they're the sort of people I do as little as possible for.

Never travelled in any car share without paying. Just invent a fear of covid OP.

I did a once off job for someone once who did not pay the amount I asked and she was very weathy. I didn't agree a price at the start. Next time she asked I told her that a price would have to be set at the start. she lost interest

Now anyone who asks i tell them they will have to pay and we will have to agree the price before i start.Its amazin the fok want you to work free because the 'know' you

So OP learn by this and if anyone asks you again set your rules before hand

That's a bit extreme, but I guess it works as you don't have to give anyone a lift I guess :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

I always found this one really odd. I would NEVER ask for fuel money if I offer somebody a lift. Especially if I am going there myself anyway.

Even if I was offered I would most likely refuse it anyway.

Been in this situation before and didnt request money as I knew him really well, guy didnt live en route either so required detours.

It was saving him a substantial amount of money and time plus extra time in bed whereas Id have to be up 30 or so minutes earlier just to take account of the detours.

Eventually he got a car and started splitting the driving....all grand....although I did throw him a few quid or get coffee/lunch on those days.

A few years later he got rid of the car....apparently "there was no point both of us paying for one if we were going to the same place" :pac: He now lived 500m away from me.

Kept collecting him everyday, no money offered. I got a pain in my bollox and said it to him. Thought all was good, stopped in the garage and stuck €20 in the car and he went into the garage. He came out and got back in and I hopped into the car and started to drive off. He says "are you not going to pay for the diesel?". So after our talk, he went into the garage and bought a sandwich and a tea and walked back out. I assumed he was paying for the fuel!

That was the end of it and I started going into work 2 hours early or leaving late or saying I had to go somewhere after work etc. Used to drive by him at the bus stop then.

Its you that ends up paying OP. It all good if they live en route....except.....you are the one paying for tax, insurance, fuel, the car, maintenance, NCT, etc. They are just leeching.
    what a mean bastard.I know someone like that. I dropped him as he is too depressing to be around. This person would want you to buy things so he could borrow them. He's too mean to cloth himself properly "i don't have time to buy cloths "It is a sad life they have

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭mistersifter

I had an experience with a lift stinge myself back in college.

We were all struggling for cash as is generally the case with students.

A bloke in my class lived near enough and starts asking for lifts to and from college most days. No prob.

He was then saving 30-40 quid per week on public transport. Also worth mentioning that the college was promoting car pooling to split costs and reduce traffic in the area.

After a few weeks I started to think it was a bit scabby not to offer a cent for petrol. He was in the boozer half the time in college and chain smoked!

Then one day he asked me to collect him from a nearby pub when he wasnt in class. I stupidly did this. The next morning he sparked up a joint in me car without asking was it ok to smoke.

I found this both hilarious and infuriating. What a c*nt! It was at the point I told him I wanted petrol money.

He started paying me til it eventually fizzled out somehow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

py2006 wrote: »
    I always found this one really odd. I would NEVER ask for fuel money if I offer somebody a lift. Especially if I am going there myself anyway.

In this case the leech never offered any money and it’s been going on 4 months,not a once off lift.

wonski wrote: »
    That's a bit extreme, but I guess it works as you don't have to give anyone a lift I guess :)
    what is extreme? That some big business person did not want to pay.If i went to buy in her business i would have to pay top dollar. I hate scabby mean penny pinchers. i know someone who goes around the car park looking and picking up one cent coins. Also he had to go to a funeral and bought a black trousers in Dunnes. Went to funeral and then brought it back for refund

py2006 wrote: »

Did the op offer or was he asked? It does not say

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Had a similar thing with a friend many years ago. I certainly wasn't expecting money for all the lifts, but a bit of recognition by way of buying a feckin' bottle of coke once in a blue moon for the designated driver wouldn't have been too much to ask. But some people are just tone deaf to that stuff or just tight as a cat's arse. He was both. Unsurprisingly we're no longer friends!

Agricola wrote: »
    Had a similar thing with a friend many years ago. I certainly wasn't expecting money for all the lifts, but a bit of recognition by way of buying a feckin' bottle of coke once in a blue moon for the designated driver wouldn't have been too much to ask. But some people are just tone deaf to that stuff or just tight as a cat's arse. He was both. Unsurprisingly we're no longer friends!

It's kinda the principle. Some are dirt mean. peel an orange in their pocket as they say

wonski wrote: »
    There is no insurance issue for starters, even if you do get money back for petrol etc, unless your insurance does not allow you to commute.

There are however people out there who will never get you even a bottle of wine once a year after you give them a lift for a year.

One of those I guess since the op brought the issue up.

COVID 19 is your friend this year. Perfect excuse ;)

It's nice to be nice. Some will take advantage for years if they can, though.
    Does some insurance not allow you to commute?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

nails1 wrote: »
    Is it acceptable to ask a colleague for cash for picking him up and giving lift to work. His house is on my direct route to work so I’m not going out of way or spending extra cash to give him a lift in and dropping him home.

look ur going that way anyway, bit of a dickhead move not to give money atleast occasionally for fuel, to me it wouldnt be worth the hassle.

But if it is say it straight out ur paying half for fuel, it ll be cheaper than ull be payin for the bus and ya get picked up at ur door. win win for both.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Cupatae

It's kinda the principle. Some are dirt mean. peel an orange in their pocket as they say

They d check the bed to see if they lost any sleep :D

Cupatae wrote: »
    look ur going that way anyway, bit of a dickhead move not to give money atleast occasionally for fuel, to me it wouldnt be worth the hassle.

But if it is say it straight out ur paying half for fuel, it ll be cheaper than ull be payin for the bus and ya get picked up at ur door. win win for both.
    I would drop him. as others said you do not want an "arrangement" with someone like that

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

Cupatae wrote: »
    They d check the bed to see if they lost any sleep :D

They take the wallpaper with them when they move house....
    Hmmmm....
    Are they from Cavan or Kerry OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

Slightly mist some water on the passenger seat each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

nails1 wrote: »
    Is it acceptable to ask a colleague for cash for picking him up and giving lift to work. His house is on my direct route to work so I’m not going out of way or spending extra cash to give him a lift in and dropping him home.

61CUzPSmybL._AC_SY355_.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I used to give a woman a lift into work. It wasn't out of my way but she used to throw a 20 at me once a month. Either that or she'd pull my handbrake.

Does some insurance not allow you to commute?

If it doesn't allow you to commute then you should take a bus to work, too.

Edit. Just reread your question. Some insurers do specifically ask if you commute to work ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭JayRoc

road_high wrote: »
    Added weight burns more fuel and wear and tear on a car. Fairly obvious I would have thought
    I did a once off job for someone once who did not pay the amount I asked and she was very weathy. I didn't agree a price at the start. Next time she asked I told her that a price would have to be set at the start

I genuinely can't tell if some of these replies are joking or not

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭McGrath5

I'd hate to be in an arrangement like this, is your man some type of overgrown man child who can't get himself to and from work?

OP just tell the guy your routine has changed and you're going to knock the lift thing on it's head, come on you're a grown up, sort it out. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭fits

McGrath5 wrote: »
    I'd hate to be in an arrangement like this, is your man some type of overgrown man child who can't get himself to and from work?

OP just tell the guy your routine has changed and you're going to knock the lift thing on it's head, come on you're a grown up, sort it out. :)

No point two cars going if one will do. Saves pollution, traffic congestion etc. But everyone should pay their own way.

Advertisement