Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asking work colleague for money for giving lift to work

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

jhegarty wrote: »
    Some morning bring a friend along for the drive. Stop for petrol and have the friend insist on paying. Say no , but have friend say how scabby it would be if he didn't cover the fuel cost.
    frag420 wrote: »
    Or better would be as your filling the car your friend asks how much the other guy is paying...

Friend to scab - How much are you paying OP for the lifts as I dont want to lowball him and look like a scab...

Scab to friend - eh....Im paying him nothing for the lifts.

Friend to scab - oh, your not paying him?:confused::confused::confused:

Then when you get back in the car your friend should say to you...

Myself and scab were just talking about how much we owe you for driving...would £10 each a week cover it?

He will either pay up going forward or not bother getting a lift but be sure you get him to agree to it going forward as you can always fall back on the fact he agreed to it.

Its a bit passive aggressive but it will work!

I find snakeology like this more reprehensible than the actual mooching.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,613 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Tell a lie one morning. Pick him up and say "wasn't gonna come in today - feel like **** // ah sure I didn't wanna leave anyone stuck so I said might as well pick you up and head in. might feel better later on".................................... hopefully you might get this:

"Ah no don't be minding me I'll make my own way in"

"Well I'm here now ya might as well get in"

"I'll slip ya a fiver for petrol so"

If nothing like that happens, you've a user and abuser lol

Gotta love my god awful imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭pgj2015

Tell a lie one morning. Pick him up and say "wasn't gonna come in today - feel like **** // ah sure I didn't wanna leave anyone stuck so I said might as well pick you up and head in. might feel better later on".................................... hopefully you might get this:

"Ah no don't be minding me I'll make my own way in"

"Well I'm here now ya might as well get in"

"I'll slip ya a fiver for petrol so"

If nothing like that happens, you've a user and abuser lol

Gotta love my god awful imagination.

if the passenger doesn't normally give any money, i very much doubt they would in that case either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭g6fdyotp5nj2l7

pgj2015 wrote:
    what if its a 25 stone man they are carrying? im just pointing out that it costs more in fuel the more weight in the car.

A little more yeah. If things are that tight it's best not to have anyone in the car with you I suppose

• Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

I was giving someone a lift to work and one day I wasnt going straight home so said I wouldnt be around to give them a lift.
    They asked me how would they get home so !!

That arrangement came to an end thankfully. I like my guiet time in car too much to have an ongoing arrangement with lifts

• Advertisement

A little more yeah. If things are that tight it's best not to have anyone in the car with you I suppose

Things aren't that tight with me at all. But the fact is having more weight in the car will cost more on fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Meeoow

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Things aren't that tight with me at all. But the fact is having more weight in the car will cost more on fuel.
    Of course it does. Most cars don't come with a spare wheel anymore for that very reason.
    The tight wads obviously can't comprehend that more weight in a car forces the car to do more work, and use more fuel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭g6fdyotp5nj2l7

pgj2015 wrote:

Yeah it will, the point I made at the start is that going on about the small amount of fuel extra it will use is just as pennypinching as the lad not prepared to chip in for his lift IMO

The people who say "you may as well bring them as they are on your way and it wont cost you anything extra" they are the real stingy people if you ask me, and the ones likely to take constant free lifts without ever giving anything to the driver as thanks.

Yeah it will, the point I made at the start is that going on about the small amount of fuel extra it will use is just as pennypinching as the lad not prepared to chip in for his lift IMO

Do you scab a lift or do you give someone a lift?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,323 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Just read the whole thread - Seeing as this is a work colleague who may he in a position to help or damage you or your career in years to follow I think the best way os to blame the covid and say you will be unable to give them a lift in the future. For something that I thought was so cut and dry its amazing what passionate views people have on both sides of the payment/generosity fence. Best take the covid 19 approach out of it and leave your colleague with good memories of his/her free lift and your generosity without damaging yourself or your career/prospects. S/he could be your report or reference or boss some day.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭2 fast

nails1 wrote: »
    Is it acceptable to ask a colleague for cash for picking him up and giving lift to work. His house is on my direct route to work so I’m not going out of way or spending extra cash to give him a lift in and dropping him home.

I've been doing it for years, nip it in the bud now or it will drag out and be expected of you. The longer it goes on the more awkward it becomes and they wont say anything because they're getting a free lift. Either come to a financial arrangement or discuss how long you will be expected to do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭bilbot79

If that's an everyday arrangement it's 100% acceptable

• Registered Users Posts: 13,400 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Honestly that, while true,is pushing it. If you're fed up giving them a lift just change your routine for a while so you're not tied down to it. Better all around to stop it now before you get really bitter about the whole arrangement

• Registered Users Posts: 13,824 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

the car would burn more petrol/diesel with another person in the car as well, some people have said it wouldn't make a difference if there was someone else in the car.

I was actually thinking the same, but I googled it and the average MPG that car manufacturers give is based on a full load, ie: max the car can safely carry, so having only 1 person in the car won't make a difference. It's only if the car was above max load it would affect MPG (allegedly).

cj maxx wrote: »
    Honestly that, while true,is pushing it. If you're fed up giving them a lift just change your routine for a while so you're not tied down to it. Better all around to stop it now before you get really bitter about the whole arrangement

im not the op.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

I was actually thinking the same, but I googled it and the average MPG that car manufacturers give is based on a full load, ie: max the car can safely carry, so having only 1 person in the car won't make a difference. It's only if the car was above max load it would affect MPG (allegedly).

The fuel required to move the car from a standstill is directly proportional to weight an extra person could easily add 10% to fuel in a small car, as well as break wear, tyre wear and clutch wear as all are affected linerly by weight. After somewhere between 60Kmph - 80Kmph wind becomes the biggest factor so weight wouldn't matter so much.

I couldn't stand giving someone a lift unless there was good money in it. The workday starts as soon as you see the first colleague, I'd rather stay in work for another half an hour and get paid for it than have someone in the car for half an hour and not be paid for my time.

I don't want anyone having opinions on the mini-rave I'm having, book I'm listening too, or whatever weird podcast I'm giving a try. And then the small talk, or even just any talk, I wouldn't want to talk to someone when I don't have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,824 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

GarIT wrote: »
    The fuel required to move the car from a standstill is directly proportional to weight an extra person could easily add 10% to fuel in a small car, as well as break wear, tyre wear and clutch wear as all are affected linerly by weight. After somewhere between 60Kmph - 80Kmph wind becomes the biggest factor so weight wouldn't matter so much.

I agree, but the point I was making is that this is all taken into account when manufacturers have the average MPG for their car. If you're driving it with less than the max weight, it shouldn't make a difference because the average MPG is done at max weight. Bringing more people in the car should also mean you inflate the tyres a bit more to counteract the weight (it's in the handbooks people!) and keep the average MPG.

Or so Google says.

I agree, but the point I was making is that this is all taken into account when manufacturers have the average MPG for their car. If you're driving it with less than the max weight, it shouldn't make a difference because the average MPG is done at max weight. Bringing more people in the car should also mean you inflate the tyres a bit more to counteract the weight (it's in the handbooks people!) and keep the average MPG.

Or so Google says.

It doesn't fully work like that.

Even if the MPG is calculated at Max Load you can improve your MPG by being lighter. Inflating the tyres more can help with rolling resistance but it has negative impacts on other areas of performance and it's not the only way weight has an effect.

I said 10% earlier and that's based off a big guy in a small car, but it would be significantly less if it's a small guy in a big car. Essentially the effect on fuel economy is literally the % of the cars weight being added. My car weights 1015kg, adding a 100kg guy into the car would increase the fuel cost by 10% off the motorway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

Thread is tldr

Op you should always say this time is free but if you want a lift on a regular basis it's petrol monies please at the rate of X per km.
    No likely no Liffey.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭con___manx1

This will eat you up inside op. He is taking the piss the cheap arse hole. Ask him fr half the diesel or just tell him t **** off and walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

As other posters have said COVID is now your perfect to stop giving him a lift if that is what you want to do. Its your get out clause and you dont have to go changing your routine or anything to stop giving him a lift

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Old_-_School

Sounds like you'd be happy to collect him, if you got suitably compensated? If that's the case, try a few hints such as stopping off at the petrol station and if there's an offer of cash, use that to start a conversation and say "Actually would it be OK if you contributed X a week towards the running of the car?". Don't say petrol money as that's only a part of it.
    If there's no offer, then the petrol station would be a good place to start the conversation anyway.

If you're not happy to collect him, even with financial compensation, use Covid-19 social distancing excuse (elderly relatives), or become unreliable ("forget" sometimes, have other plans in the morning or evening), start an argument, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,400 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

im not the op.

I just replied to about using fuel, for the op not you per se. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

At the risk of derailing the thread, I'd question that. In the past, manufacturers made the car as light as possible when calculating MPG, going as far as removing seats, wing mirrors etc.. They probably tested on an unpainted car (paint adds a lot of weight).

fatbhoy wrote: »
    At the risk of derailing the thread, I'd question that. In the past, manufacturers made the car as light as possible when calculating MPG, going as far as removing seats, wing mirrors etc.. They probably tested on an unpainted car (paint adds a lot of weight).

I think the mpg tests are done going down hill with heavy winds are the cars back. they aren't the true mpg figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,201 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Option 1 - don't shower for a week or 2. Stink him out.*

Option 2 - make a pass at him. The old "oh sorry I was aiming for the gearstick" routine. **

Sorted.

*expect to see a thread in AH in a few weeks entitled "how do I tell the guy I car share with that he reeks"?

**May backfire if he (a)punches you or (b)winks at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,561 ✭✭✭Treppen

Sounds like you'd be happy to collect him, if you got suitably compensated? If that's the case, try a few hints such as stopping off at the petrol station and if there's an offer of cash, use that to start a conversation and say "Actually would it be OK if you contributed X a week towards the running of the car?". Don't say petrol money as that's only a part of it.
    If there's no offer, then the petrol station would be a good place to start the conversation anyway.

If you're not happy to collect him, even with financial compensation, use Covid-19 social distancing excuse (elderly relatives), or become unreliable ("forget" sometimes, have other plans in the morning or evening), start an argument, etc.

Ya I don't think we resolved the question of insurance implications in this thread so regular money thing is questionable.

Covid 19 excuse sounds good to me OP, tell em you regularly visit a relative with compromised immunity and you can't... won't risk it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,827 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yes, just say.. “ hey with covid, and a couple of family issues I’m erring on the side of safety, for us both, so going to need to knock the lifts on the head. “

Just txt him this a couple of days before you’d be due to resume working, I wouldn’t be getting into the notion of needing to ring or talk to him. He hasn’t extended you any courtesy or much respect... so fûck him.

Advertisement