Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asking work colleague for money for giving lift to work

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

CBear1993 wrote: »
    Every night now before you lift him, eat and drink the most gaseous foods possible. Tins of Guinness, order an indian, hell; even chew on a few cloves of garlic in the morning.

That little thorn in your side won’t be long changing his mind about how he gets to work if you’re dropping absolute clangers the whole journey. Before he gets in I recommend drumming up a real stonker for him With all your bowel-y forces. Every time he asks you if you smell something, smile psychopathically and say no, and turn up the heat full blast. If he tries to put the window down have them locked before he gets in.
    CBear1993 wrote: »
    Play Taylor swift album’s from start to now every day on repeat.

:D
    Please, OP, try both of these and let us know which was more effective in solving the problem!

As has been said, now is the ideal time to end the arrangement. If your workplace has been closed, and you are just starting back, you cannot have him in the car while 2 metre distancing is in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

:D
    Please, OP, try both of these and let us know which was more effective in solving the problem!

As has been said, now is the ideal time to end the arrangement. If your workplace has been closed, and you are just starting back, you cannot have him in the car while 2 metre distancing is in place.

The stinge would probably ask the op to fit a tow bar and bring a trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

This is like a scene from Peep Show..... does the passenger have a dog you could offer to mind OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭bocaman

This is one awkward situation. One evening on the way home you should pull in for petrol, if your work colleague had anything about them they put their hand in their pocket and offer to pay. Some people are just inconsiderate and really take advantage.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Cash, grass or ass, nobody rides for free, as the expression goes...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Say you've moved?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

How do they get to work if you are on holidays or off for some reason?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

It's a miserly thing to do but your call.

I disagree with it being miserly.

The OP has the following costs.(I'm sure there are others)
    1. Car
    2. Fuel
    3. Tax
    4. Insurance
    5. Wear and tear
    6. The additional weight of the person will add up over a year and the costs are pretty significant when calculated.

The passenger has no costs, doesn't have to sit with random people on public transport and gets brought directly to the office door.

How is that fair? In my opinion, the colleague should be paying for half the fuel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

fits wrote: »
    Jes Irish people are so weird. Just ask him for a contribution to petrol going forward. It’s not that difficult and it’s not in any way impolite!

Trust me a lot of people would take this the wrong way.

It's a bit like when you beep the horn at someone. In Ireland you would swear you made an assassination attempt on their granny judging by most of the reactions.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

nails1 wrote: »
    Is it acceptable to ask a colleague for cash for picking him up and giving lift to work. His house is on my direct route to work so I’m not going out of way or spending extra cash to give him a lift in and dropping him home.

Since its not costing you anything and your not going out of your way. I wouldn't even bring it up as a subject. I've often gone out of my way to pick friends up going to work.
    My opinion is this anybody who is not put out and is looking for petrol money is just a miserable ¢unt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Kylta wrote: »
    My opinion is this anybody who is not put out and is looking for petrol money is just a miserable ¢unt

Same could be said for the person saving money on getting a free lift in to work and not offering something towards the cost.

Tell them you were killed in a freak accident where the car ran out of fuel and momentarily distracted you and you rolled in under a truck.
    When they see you,tell them it is the ghost of you and your dead car they see and wave really slow with a sad ghost face on you.get some of your non stinge colleagues to roll with the idea.
    Mess with stinges head that way

• Registered Users Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Since its not costing you anything and your not going out of your way. I wouldn't even bring it up as a subject. I've often gone out of my way to pick friends up going to work.

It costs a packet to run a car...fuel, road tax, repayments, NCT, depreciation. If you want to be a soft lemon giving away your cash for nothing off you go.

road_high wrote: »
    It costs a packet to run a car...fuel, road tax, repayments, NCT, depreciation. If you want to be a soft lemon giving away your cash for nothing off you go.

I run a car, but if your looking money of him why give a lift. Or mabye you should become a taxi service. But then again a hungry ¢unt is a hungry ¢unt. I suppose you count your teabags too

petes wrote: »
    Same could be said for the person saving money on getting a free lift in to work and not offering something towards the cost.

If your offering lift you shouldn't looking for anything. Its different if he asking for lift

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭mojesius

Leaving the stinginess/money aspect aside, this arrangement would be my worst nightmare. I love the 'me time' on the commute to and from work. Having to make small talk about work or whatever else first thing in the morning and straight after work would do my head in.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I run a car, but if your looking money of him why give a lift. Or mabye you should become a taxi service. But then again a hungry ¢unt is a hungry ¢unt. I suppose you count your teabags too

The passenger isn't a hungry ¢unt?

Getting a free lift, saving themselves a packet and not offering anything in return?

You don't think not offering anything is shítty?

mojesius wrote: »
    Leaving the stinginess/money aspect aside, this arrangement would be my worst nightmare. I love the 'me time' on the commute to and from work. Having to make small talk about work or whatever else first thing in the morning and straight after work would do my head in.

Dead right.talking work to and from work would leave me feeling like I did a double shift in work.
    Fcuk that.

There’s a huge difference between giving a friend a lift and the daily collecting and dropping off of a money hungry,spend shy leech who refuses to contribute anything.
    A busy fool is what you would be

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Icsics

Get out of this arrangement ASAP, like others said you’re annoyed already, it won’t end well. Make up an excuse, coved/insurance/going early or late. You’re paying for that car, you’re entitled to a stress free trip to work

• Advertisement

The passenger isn't a hungry ¢unt?

Getting a free lift, saving themselves a packet and not offering anything in return?

You don't think not offering anything is shítty?

My opinion if he offered I would decline it. Because once you take money your under a compliment to that person. I suppose its up to the individual owner of the car the way they look upon their view point. But if its costing up nothing why would be moaning about fuel money. And if the money is an issue with the driver don't give the person a lift. Again I say if your not being put out its not costing you anything. The person accepting the lift should offer but thats up to his principles. Anybody looking for money giving somebody a lift to work and not going out of there way, is just a tight arse ¢unt.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,387 ✭✭✭✭road_high

No I’m just not a pushover that bends over for everyone to please them and I don’t give a ****e what people think of me. That’s for weak self conscious people

• Registered Users Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭fits

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Trust me a lot of people would take this the wrong way.

It's a bit like when you beep the horn at someone. In Ireland you would swear you made an assassination attempt on their granny judging by most of the reactions.

Tough shi if they do tbh.

There’s a huge difference between giving a friend a lift and the daily collecting and dropping off of a money hungry,spend shy leech who refuses to contribute anything.
    A busy fool is what you would be

Again we're talking about giving a person a lift to work. Nothing else your not taking them shopping and picking them up from pub

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭sallyanne12

tedpan wrote: »
    I disagree with it being miserly.

The OP has the following costs.(I'm sure there are others)
    1. Car
    2. Fuel
    3. Tax
    4. Insurance
    5. Wear and tear
    6. The additional weight of the person will add up over a year and the costs are pretty significant when calculated.

The passenger has no costs, doesn't have to sit with random people on public transport and gets brought directly to the office door.

How is that fair? In my opinion, the colleague should be paying for half the fuel.

Yes but it will cost the OP the same whether he gives your man a lift or not. I can’t believe how money minded a lot of people are. I once had a boyfriend who used to ask me for petrol money whenever we’d go out in his car. It’s just so greedy.
    Either bring the guy or say no, stop building resentment towards the poor fella

Just to add, I do think the guy should offer a few quid every now and again considering he knows you’re struggling but you can’t expect it. But as others have said, I would only give him a lift when it’s not going out of your way. I wouldn’t wait for him if you want to leave early or leave early for him if you want to stay late. I’d go whatever time suits you and if it suits him then grand

• Registered Users Posts: 8,100 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Could have been covered already but does he have a car, how did he get to work before you?

I had an arrangement like that years ago, you'd be amazed how quickly they take it for granted. You have to make contact with them if you are going to be off or late. They can be late and you end up sitting waiting for them. They may be off and either never bothered or forgot to tell you.

I will never get into a situation like that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,553 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

My opinion if he offered I would decline it. Because once you take money your under a compliment to that person. I suppose its up to the individual owner of the car the way they look upon their view point. But if its costing up nothing why would be moaning about fuel money. And if the money is an issue with the driver don't give the person a lift. Again I say if your not being put out its not costing you anything. The person accepting the lift should offer but thats up to his principles. Anybody looking for money giving somebody a lift to work and not going out of there way, is just a tight arse ¢unt.

The OP was annoyed about being taken for granted as opposed to being out of pocket. He's facilitating the passenger saving a significant amount of money without so much as offering anything in return. It appears that the lack of a offer of anything for being given a lift every day for 4 months is what grates with the OP rather than being out of pocket.

Like you said, the person should offer out of courtesy. They haven't and hence the OP feels taken for granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

I'm blown away by the amount of people who think the OP should just continue collecting this person with no contributions.

This isn't a situation where the OP is a greedy sod, its a situation where the person taking the lift is massively taking advantage.

The OP may not save any money if he chose not to collect the passenger, but considering he's sharing his car, it would be nice to know the other person is contributing something to the arrangement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

nails1 wrote: »
    4 months I’ve been collecting him
    Giving him a lift once or twice is being nice. 4 months without him offering payment means he's a leech. Getting rid of him will benefit you.

Advertisement