Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The current trend of removing cash is a serious mistake

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

coinop wrote: »
    LOL they really don't want you using cash. Man arrested for having large quantity of cash on him. No drugs. No guns. Arrested for having cash. Can't wait for all the aul biddys who hold up the checkout line counting out their pennies to be sent to the gulag.

https://www.rte.ie/news/regional/202...seized-dublin/

Link isn't working, but I assume that is the case of 110k in cash found in a property of a man suspected of being involved in a criminal organisation? Not exactly "arrested for having cash" as you are portraying it to be.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭coinop

My previous link has now been fixed. But here is another one that might interest you. "Report finds majority of Irish purchases made online. "

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/1109/1176842-online-spending/

Time is running out for the penny pinchers, fumbling in the greasy till. Tick-tock.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,876 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

coinop wrote:
    Time is running out for the penny pinchers, fumbling in the greasy till. Tick-tock.

So we 're all gonna move over to digital platforms, including the criminals?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,200 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

My previous link has now been fixed. But here is another one that might interest you. "Report finds majority of Irish purchases made online. "

wow, people spending more online in the middle of a lockdown. what a surprise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

With any luck the thousands of crying kids who receive a late, wrong or damaged gift this Christmas will return some sanity to the Irish buying public by next year.

Bricks and mortar buying is, generally, safer, more convenient and, most importantly, nearly always cheaper than online.

I've been out shopping three times since the lockdown lifted, the amount of free car spaces and general lack of crowds this close to Christmas is nothing short of scary. Can only hope sanity prevails next year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

With any luck the thousands of crying kids who receive a late, wrong or damaged gift this Christmas will return some sanity to the Irish buying public by next year.
    This won’t happen. “Thousands of crying kids”.

Ludicrously OTT post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Snotty

Bricks and mortar buying is......
    nearly always cheaper than online.

Nearly never cheaper is closer to the mark.

Buying online you can easily get many prices for an item and buy the cheapest, with bricks and mortar you are generally restricted to who stocks the item within a reasonable distance.
    Lots of benefits to buying local, because its cheaper is a rarity

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭PalLimerick

Mike3287 wrote: »
    Exactly

Kills the black market and drug money culture

Thought I'd never see the day

Pavee point won't be happy haha
    Why won't Pavee Point be happy?

Bricks and mortar buying is, generally, safer, more convenient and, most importantly, nearly always cheaper than online.

I've been out shopping three times since the lockdown lifted, the amount of free car spaces and general lack of crowds this close to Christmas is nothing short of scary. Can only hope sanity prevails next year.

Hopefully you kept the receipt this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Them boys are creative and will come up with another currency. I am thinking copper is a good choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,877 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I suspect he's saying people will have less cash at home so breaking into houses will be less lucrative

Them boys are creative and will come up with another currency. I am thinking copper is a good choice.

You re actually probably right, we ve been at this digital money stuff for a very long time now, the majority of the supply being so, and it's damn problematic, so much so, I suspect non digital is here to stay for a while longer

DellyBelly wrote: »
    I suspect he's saying people will have less cash at home so breaking into houses will be less lucrative

I think he really means, they wont have a currency that isnt linked to the Revenue Commissioner or government audit.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,438 ✭✭✭✭kippy

There will definitely be less cash floating around long term but society will never be cashless for the reasons outlined here.
    A lot of people also seem to have a lot of faith in the disaster recovery and business continuity plans of very small business right up to large organisations. Obviously never worked in IT.

kippy wrote: »
    There will definitely be less cash floating around long term but society will never be cashless for the reasons outlined here.

I believe a cashless society has been on the cards for a long time. Also have a look at "digital tattoos", they will be an easy sell to teenagers. I am not sure how alternative currencies would work ie gold silver copper for the black market.

I believe a cashless society has been on the cards for a long time. Also have a look at "digital tattoos", they will be an easy sell to teenagers. I am not sure how alternative currencies would work ie gold silver copper for the black market.

are digital tattoos not just for healthcare?

are digital tattoos not just for healthcare?

they can be used any way a creative imagination can sell them. I see them as a step up than microchipping dogs. You want privacy for citizens and transparency in government.

they can be used any way a creative imagination can sell them. I see them as a step up than microchipping dogs. You want privacy for citizens and transparency in government.

what ways? they record biological information. what applications are there for them outside this sphere?

what ways? they record biological information. what applications are there for them outside this sphere?

I am always suspicious of governments in recent years. It is always sold to us as for our good. it could be used to deny people things as well like travel?
    I am currently involved in another debate on whether people with autism should wear sunflower lanyards. It has to do with the right to privacy and trading information.

Something about yellow stars, red triangles and pink triangles, all happened in the past but it was sold as just information so we can identify you.

I am always suspicious of governments in recent years. It is always sold to us as for our good. it could be used to deny people things as well like travel?
    I am currently involved in another debate on whether people with autism should wear sunflower lanyards. It has to do with the right to privacy and trading information.

Something about yellow stars, red triangles and pink triangles, all happened in the past but it was sold as just information so we can identify you.

yeah, probably best if you move that nonsense to the CT forum. I asked you a fairly straightforward question and you think that bollix is a reasonable answer?

• Advertisement

the majority of the money supply is already cashless, i.e. digital, and isnt created by state bodies such as central banks etc, this has been so for many decades now, hence the term 'financialization of economies', it was the digital money supply that in fact caused the previous crash

yeah, probably best if you move that nonsense to the CT forum. I asked you a fairly straightforward question and you think that bollix is a reasonable answer?

That was "bollix" was reasonable in the 1930s in Germany and look how it turned out. It works the other way too with the McCarthy communist hunts in Hollywood. You are saying it is great when it is turn on but what if it is turned off? What if you cant travell without it? What if you cant access work without it? I agree Nano technology has great potential for good but also for evil.

That was "bollix" was reasonable in the 1930s in Germany and look how it turned out. It works the other way too with the McCarthy communist hunts in Hollywood. You are saying it is great when it is turn on but what if it is turned off? What if you cant travell without it? What if you cant access work without it? I agree Nano technology has great potential for good but also for evil.

Off to CT with ya.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    the majority of the money supply is already cashless, i.e. digital, and isnt created by state bodies such as central banks etc, this has been so for many decades now, hence the term 'financialization of economies', it was the digital money supply that in fact caused the previous crash

Shure the United States admitted it was broke when Nixon decoupled the dollar from the gold standard.

Shure the United States admitted it was broke when Nixon decoupled the dollar from the gold standard.

ah we ve moved on from central bank created money, its almost insignificant nowadays

As I said, a cashless society isn't feasible - at least some cash will be required for a variety of reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

kippy wrote: »
    As I said, a cashless society isn't feasible - at least some cash will be required for a variety of reasons.

What reasons?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

GarIT wrote: »
    What reasons?

How will they decide who takes kick off at the start of the match if there are no coins???

GarIT wrote: »
    What reasons?

The reliance on power, internet, disaster recovery/business continuity on every level, shopping trolleys, vending machines, the inability of the poorer in society afford the technology required etc etc etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,316 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I see another thread about shops not taking cash etc and it strikes me as a massive mistake as a society to Let it happen. It is an integral part of maintaining (even at this stage nearly a fiction) of privacy and it's elimination from society will not be a positive development.

Interested to hear other people's opinions..

It works in the United Federation of Planets (Star Trek) and Sweden.

I would say it makes theft a lot more difficult for a start.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Advertisement