Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The current trend of removing cash is a serious mistake

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

kippy wrote: »
      As I said, a cashless society isn't feasible - at least some cash will be required for a variety of reasons.

Ohhh I agree but that is not the way it is going to turn out. I would hate a cashless society but look how china is moving towards social credits

• Registered Users Posts: 28,805 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
      How will they decide who takes kick off at the start of the match if there are no coins???

easy, flip a phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Ohhh I agree but that is not the way it is going to turn out. I would hate a cashless society but look how china is moving towards social credits

Ah look, I don't think China will be the trailblazers or the example to follow in this area for numersous reasons........

kippy wrote: »
        Ah look, I don't think China will be the trailblazers or the example to follow in this area for numersous reasons........

Too late!!! they already have a city. Also DCU and Croke Park will be "smart areas". Dont believe me they are trialing in about a year.

It works in the United Federation of Planets (Star Trek) and Sweden.

Grumble, mumble....... its not the cash that is the problem in Sweden.

• Advertisement
      • Closed Accounts Posts: 763 ✭✭✭doublejobbing 2

Snotty wrote: »
        Nearly never cheaper is closer to the mark.

Buying online you can easily get many prices for an item and buy the cheapest, with bricks and mortar you are generally restricted to who stocks the item within a reasonable distance.
        Lots of benefits to buying local, because its cheaper is a rarity

I frequently see ads for branded sportswear from popular sites (Zalondo, ASOS) that is wildly more expensive than the same item in Lifestyle Sport etc.

Reason of space, simply. Your local clothes chain retailer has to eventually shift everything on the racks in order to stock the stuff that arrived last week that is currently taking up space out the back.

ASOS probably has 20 football pitches of warehouse to stock something for years until it eventually shifts. The price drops can logically never be as big as they don't need to be.

When you factor in the either higher price or negligible lower price, the fact you can't truly decide you like something until you see it infront of you, the hassle of returning it, the significant risk you may not even receive it (I've found soaking wet packages over my wall belonging to neighbours twice this year), being tied to a card only payment option, it really is a mugs game.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,149 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I frequently see ads for branded sportswear from popular sites (Zalondo, ASOS) that is wildly more expensive than the same item in Lifestyle Sport etc.

Reason of space, simply. Your local clothes chain retailer has to eventually shift everything on the racks in order to stock the stuff that arrived last week that is currently taking up space out the back.

ASOS probably has 20 football pitches of warehouse to stock something for years until it eventually shifts. The price drops can logically never be as big as they don't need to be.

When you factor in the either higher price or negligible lower price, the fact you can't truly decide you like something until you see it infront of you, the hassle of returning it, the significant risk you may not even receive it (I've found soaking wet packages over my wall belonging to neighbours twice this year), being tied to a card only payment option, it really is a mugs game.

clothes sitting in a warehouse is not how they operate.

clothes sitting in a warehouse is not how they operate.

Do tell.

Also, why are they typically more expensive for the same items that cost less in bricks and mortar shops that have higher costs of rent, electirc, staff per capita etc?

Do tell.

Also, why are they typically more expensive for the same items that cost less in bricks and mortar shops that have higher costs of rent, electirc, staff per capita etc?

stock sitting in a warehouse is costing them money. It is also money that is tied up. no clothing retailer works that way.

Dodge wrote: »
        This won’t happen. “Thousands of crying kids”.

Ludicrously OTT post

There's 1 million under 15's in this country.

A very large proportion will have had their parents make online orders for them.

I think a four figure amount of postal and warehouse fcuk ups is beyond doubt.

• Advertisement

stock sitting in a warehouse is costing them money. It is also money that is tied up. no clothing retailer works that way.

It doesn't cost as much having stick lying for months and years in a cavernous warehouse in rural North Wales as much as it does having it taking up space in a back room in the Blanch centre.

Again- why is brand name sportswear typically cheaper in bricks and mortar stores than online?

Clearance prices in particular, but also full priced new stock generally.

It's simple- online shopping loyalists are convinced they are saving money every time. They are more prone to impulse buying rubbish they don't need than people who prefer physical shopping.

It doesn't cost as much having stick lying for months and years in a cavernous warehouse in rural North Wales as much as it does having it taking up space in a back room in the Blanch centre.

Again- why is brand name sportswear typically cheaper in bricks and mortar stores than online?

Clearance prices in particular, but also full priced new stock generally.

It's simple- online shopping loyalists are convinced they are saving money every time. They are more prone to impulse buying rubbish they don't need than people who prefer physical shopping.

I wouldn't have thought it was typically cheaper in a B&M store. Not my experience but yours is clearly different.

I wouldn't have thought it was typically cheaper in a B&M store. Not my experience but yours is clearly different.

https://www.asos.com/fila/fila-alexo-logo-hoodie-in-beige/prd/21796060?colourwayid=60401295&SearchQuery=&cid=5668

Bought this a few months ago on the Champion Sports bargain rack (different colour). 30 quid.

https://www.asos.com/puma/puma-essentials-chest-logo-hoodie-in-pastel-pink/prd/20739850?colourwayid=60084044&SearchQuery=&cid=5668

Saw same ones in Champion in white and green the other day, 30 quid.

https://www.asos.com/nike/nike-tech-fleece-tracksuit-set-in-grey/grp/31378?colourwayid=16644731&SearchQuery=&cid=5668

110 in Lifestyle the other day.

The price differences are absolutely staggering. Anybody who swears by online shopping needs their head checked. It's as mad as the people who would fly to NYC to shop thinking they were making a saving.

https://www.asos.com/fila/fila-alexo-logo-hoodie-in-beige/prd/21796060?colourwayid=60401295&SearchQuery=&cid=5668

Bought this a few months ago on the Champion Sports bargain rack (different colour). 30 quid.

https://www.asos.com/puma/puma-essentials-chest-logo-hoodie-in-pastel-pink/prd/20739850?colourwayid=60084044&SearchQuery=&cid=5668

https://www.asos.com/nike/nike-tech-fleece-tracksuit-set-in-grey/grp/31378?colourwayid=16644731&SearchQuery=&cid=5668

The price differences are absolutely staggering. Anybody who swears by online shopping needs their head checked. It's as mad as the people who would fly to NYC to shop thinking they were making a saving.

I think the difference in opinion comes from the fact that we buy very different clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,457 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

ASOS will charge what people will pay, right now they are a guaranteed supplier before xmas and don't have to worry about distancing etc. so can keep items close to RRP, they will reduce the price of older stock in time, or simply stop carrying that line and move onto the newest fashions arriving (or sell it at discount where it winds up in Lifestyle etc.).

On average, shopping online is cheaper, it doesn't mean it's always cheaper, and you still need to shop around to get the best bargains, or wait for them to go on sale (or order from Lifestyle online...)

I think the difference in opinion comes from the fact that we buy very different clothes.

Higher end stuff I'd be even less inclined to buy online as you have zero idea as to the feel / texture of the clothes.

After the end of the first lockdown BT and Arnotts were all but giving away shirts (Ralph Lauren, Lacoste Lyle and Scott etc). You simply would not get it online for nearly as cheap.

Another one, I'm a big fan of the stuff sold on 80s Casual Classics but the prices are astronomical. 70 plus euro for stiff that typically goes for 20 when the high streets get them in the rare time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Higher end stuff I'd be even less inclined to buy online as you have zero idea as to the feel / texture of the clothes.

After the end of the first lockdown BT and Arnotts were all but giving away shirts (Ralph Lauren, Lacoste Lyle and Scott etc). You simply would not get it online for nearly as cheap.

Another one, I'm a big fan of the stuff sold on 80s Casual Classics but the prices are astronomical. 70 plus euro for stiff that typically goes for 20 when the high streets get them in the rare time.
        Going back years already, I'd always buy online if I could help it. Price was one reason (and yes, by and large my experience is that you can fare much better online. It stands to reason - their cost base is significantly reduced. That's not to say that you won't get online retailers that will try and get away with more). Convenience was the other.

Steering this back to the overall thread, you're not going to hold back ecomm (and the cashlessness that goes with it). It's the way of the world - and it's only getting started.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,154 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

It’s weird how this thread has developed alright. People will shop where they like and pay how they like

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

Dodge wrote: »
        It’s weird how this thread has developed alright. People will shop where they like and pay how they like

If merchant fees decrease relative to the cost of cash, some businesses may stop accepting cash as a form of payment; lots of places in Belgium and the Netherlands only accept card payments (this has the added benefit, from the point of view of business owners, of making it more difficult for employees to be on the fiddle).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,154 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

El Tarangu wrote: »
        If merchant fees decrease relative to the cost of cash, some businesses may stop accepting cash as a form of payment; lots of places in Belgium and the Netherlands only accept card payments (this has the added benefit, from the point of view of business owners, of making it more difficult for employees to be on the fiddle).

But it’s a natural enough move is my point. More people were paying card in countries like Sweden so it became the norm and eventually, some businesses decide it’s not worth the hassle of accepting cash. People who want to use cash solely can shop elsewhere

It wasn’t a dictat to stop using cash, it’s just how things developed

Germany, for example, is still hugely cash orientated. It will be decades, if ever, before they’re cashless. I couldn’t pay by card at a popular tourist attraction 2 years ago. Cash or certain German issued cards only. Even for some ‘online’ shopping there they prefer payment by bank transfers

I used cash less and less and it seems that’s what most people are doing too. I don’t think we’ll ever be cashless though

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Am i time traveling or what to see last posts were in 2020. same as above noticed todays article, and while ive literraly wouldnt prob ever buy car 10k cash, or prob anything, but wouldnt be that uncommon to buy smth under 5grand.

as ive noticed i went months at a time never touching physical cash.

im propably irked more that somehow goverment or whoever the fck would be amazed that people could have 10k in hard cash to be intrested how one obtained it etc, as cash value goes its not really significant value today. so i get the point they want to control drug cash and so on, but will it not simply result in people dealing under 10k.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,892 ✭✭✭✭Stark

10k is not a lot of money to have on deposit for sure. But I can't think of many legitimate activities where you'd accumulate that much without the money ever going through a bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

The EU should stop trying to govern every aspect of our lives and go back to being a trade organisation like it was in the beginning.

Who goes around paying for things for more than 10K in cash, other than with a view to facilitate tax evasion or criminality?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Someone who has more than €10k in cash and wants to spend it as they see fit.

I don't see how having €10k in cash and being willing to purchase a legal product with it implies you are a criminal or a tax cheat.

To anyone who has had an interest in this debate surrounding the move towards the removal of cash, this Substack article that Edward Snowden has just published is essential reading ->

'Your Money AND Your Life: Central Bank Digital Currencies will ransom our future'

Post edited by makeorbrake on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

It might be convenient to tap and go, but that convenience will give rise to serious issues in the future.

I always carry cash, Always. No I do not evade my taxes. Yes I carry more than 10k in cash (while not on me) in secure safes. Crypto and banning cash will never get rid of the black economy.

it’s funny when people talk about using a card to pay for coke. Where I live in the states many people have a minimum purchase requirement with cards. Costs are the retailer for processing are higher with cards.

speaking as someone with a business in Ireland, I shop around for processors simply because the likes of AIB and BOI are extortionate in relation to processing charges. If,they can change the processing rates and conditions at will (which they have) for business owners, what will stop them doing this for customers? Simple answer is Nothing!

cashless in my mind is a bankers wet dream for profits.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,156 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

He is not going around with 10K in cash. some of it is in a safe in his house I think he said. You would be amazed how many people have a house safe nowadays if only to keep jewelry in it. You forget that it virtually impossible to withdraw cash at short notice from the bank. Cost of lodging cash is atrocious if doing it into a business account. As well the hassle and questioning if withdrawing or lodging cash makes it awkard even if you want to do it legimitely.

It funny what sort of people can accumulate cash. Two years ago I was chatting to a truckdriver he had sterling that he wanted to change to euro's but it was grief for him. The way he actually got it was by cashing in on pallets on good's he took to the UK. Every trip there would be 3-4 or maybe 5 pallets that were left on the trailer. There was a place near the port he could cash them in. This was his Christmas bonus I sorted him out for a 500 of it. It still sitting in a drawer somewhere, until when I go to the UK again. he was swapping it euro for pound. When I withdraw cash from the bank I used take out 500 at the time now with the banks closing I might have to take a grand out each time.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

The article in the post I was responding to related to making individual payments over €10k, so I'm not sure I see the link with the case study that you give above.

Advertisement