Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone heading to the shops tomorrow?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,386 ✭✭✭✭road_high

It looks to me with the additional shops open people have fecked off from the unnecessary supermarket outings to pass the time.

They don’t need to go to aldi or dunnes to get DIY or sports gear or whatever non food stuff they need anymore, the public have moved on as they always do. Uncovered retail parks and the high st are where the action has moved to- next week it’ll be the shopping centres

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭double jobbing

Speaking of shops does Liffey Valley have any clothes shops in its retail parks? All the ones I can think of are in the centre itself and thus not likely open.

Still wouldn't spend an hour queuing for a Big Mac, though.

I would have five years ago but McDonalds switch to cook to order which leaves you milling around with 10 others waiting for your ticket to be called has really ruined the experience. 98 percent of the time a burger out of the heater was as good as new, the new model is nonsense.

I've been browsing in Tesco Extra since April. I've no problem doing it. I am a bit cautious about changing rooms though, small spaces that anther person has spent time in. So I think I will just buy the clothes and return if I'm not happy with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,448 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

road_high wrote: »
    You simply can’t stop people browsing. It would be about as effective as telling people not to breath outside. Shops are open- people are gona browse. It’s just human nature. Minister Heather humphreys sounded ridiculous the other day telling people how to shop. Ive had my fill of government nonsense thanks- I draw the line well before you telling me how to shop

Yes they can, for instance, dropped down to the local electrical store so i DID...

The manager had the doors locked and only let a handful of people in while it was pelting down with rain, asked what people who were in the queue wanted exactly (did you check online first)... when said no not exactly, he closed the doors and off he went.

To hell with that, I'd rather order online from home and have it delivered, less stressful, probably cheaper and quicker from an online retailer.

• Advertisement

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Yes they can, for instance, dropped down to the local electrical store so i DID...

The manager had the doors locked and only let a handful of people in while it was pelting down with rain, asked what people who were in the queue wanted exactly (did you check online first)... when said no not exactly, he closed the doors and off he went.

To hell with that, I'd rather order online from home and have it delivered, less stressful, probably cheaper and quicker from an online retailer.

Well fcuk that ****e...I’d be straight off into my car to any number of chain and locally owned electrical stores instead. That’s fine for the first few weeks- there’s a pent up demand. But as money and sales become scarcer I can see this attitude falling away very quickly indeed

Well fcuk that ****e...I’d be straight off into my car to any number of chain and locally owned electrical stores instead. That’s fine for the first few weeks- there’s a pent up demand. But as money and sales become scarcer I can see this attitude falling away very quickly indeed

I can see people only going to retail stores when absolutely necessary, the majority of people shop for "retail therapy", when they realise this has turned into "retail stress" then that pent up demand will decline very sharply. After all, shopping online is easier, cheaper and has more choice generally.

This is June yet its cold and wet outside, only the most committed with a lot of free time will stand around on a 2 metre dot in the car park or at the doors of some retail outlet.. If this doesn't change in the next few months I predict more closures with only the Food retailers surviving...

With less parking, "Mall cops" going around telling you to stay apart, que's outside shops, limited numbers inside, no sitting by the fountains or anywhere else, limited numbers in cafe's... who's want to go through that?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

This would actually be funny if it wasn’t reality :-(

leahyl wrote: »
    This would actually be funny if it wasn’t reality :-(

The electrical retailer would be better off closing the public showroom and renting a warehouse unit "Click and Collect" where you order online and get your time and date of pick up, drive up, someone puts the TV or coffee machine etc. into your car boot and off you go, larger items get delivered by a man with van.

I can see people only going to retail stores when absolutely necessary, the majority of people shop for "retail therapy", when they realise this has turned into "retail stress" then that pent up demand will decline very sharply. After all, shopping online is easier, cheaper and has more choice generally.

This is June yet its cold and wet outside, only the most committed with a lot of free time will stand around on a 2 metre dot in the car park or at the doors of some retail outlet.. If this doesn't change in the next few months I predict more closures with only the Food retailers surviving...

With less parking, "Mall cops" going around telling you to stay apart, que's outside shops, limited numbers inside, no sitting by the fountains or anywhere else, limited numbers in cafe's... who's want to go through that?

Yea to be honest the weather has been fantastic up to now...I can’t see this queuing up bollix lasting very long at all. A few weeks of typical cold wet miserable Irish weather and I reckon there’ll be a big change. I certainly wouldn’t be bothered and will just go to shops without queues or stay home like you!

• Advertisement

I see Kildare village reopens next Monday if anyone is interested!!

. After all, shopping online is easier, cheaper and has more choice generally.

It is neither easier nor cheaper. In most cases it is drastically more expensive, at least for brand name clothes. As said various outlets I visited yesterday were essentially giving away clothes they were so cheap, the offers might well increase as they try get new lines out.

Online might have the odd cheaper bit for spare parts and gadgets for tech nerds but that is the height of it.

It is neither easier nor cheaper. In most cases it is drastically more expensive, at least for brand name clothes. As said various outlets I visited yesterday were essentially giving away clothes they were so cheap, the offers might well increase as they try get new lines out.

Online might have the odd cheaper bit for spare parts and gadgets for tech nerds but that is the height of it.

Yea I agree with this, physical stores are cheaper and much more likely to flog stuff off at big reductions. Brand names seem to attract more of a premium online in my experience. Sales online generally wouldn’t go beyond 30% off and I just prefer physical shopping

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Online all the way for me, never liked browsing etc. Each to their own.

Got a new ring doorbell so with tracking I know the date items will be delivered, and if via An Post know the time Postman Pat will be passing by. Brilliant and it’s the way to go. Rarely miss a delivery now.

I just wish that there was a central portal like Amazon here to support Irish goods.

You don't sound like a regular online shopper to me!

I bought some branded jeans at a city centre store last year only to find them 50% cheaper online, same for shoes.

Bike parts from Germany also 20% cheaper online.

Physical stores have less room for stock so are probably clearing out springwear, sure the Autumn range will be nearly out at this stage.

My point is that why would anyone want to stand in line either in a carpark getting soaked or in a long line at a shopping centre just to be rushed around a store by the staff?

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

You don't sound like a regular online shopper to me!

I bought some branded jeans at a city centre store last year only to find them 50% cheaper online, same for shoes.

Bike parts from Germany also 20% cheaper online.

Physical stores have less room for stock so are probably clearing out springwear, sure the Autumn range will be nearly out at this stage.

My point is that why would anyone want to stand in line either in a carpark getting soaked or in a long line at a shopping centre just to be rushed around a store by the staff?

The whole online/physical store bargains can be hit and miss in my experience.

I know people and they went to a Expert Electrical(I think) and they also have a homewards department and they weren’t rushed around the store and were basically left browse as before.
    Similar from the clothes shops that were open they were also relaxed enough inside the door.
    They’ll probably reduce the 2m rule to 1m rule also and the stores will all more capacity.
    Even the local supermarkets near me were a pain back in April and now they are the same a before. People strolling in an item or two.

The shopping experience for me so far has been, with the exception of a queue the exact same as pre Covid. Now I may get a land when I venture in to the bigger shops like Arnotts. I have been shopping a bit online but find it very awkwardly. I spent €140 on two dresses recently because I knew I'd need different sizes to try. So one dress will of course have to go back.
    Wouldn't even attempt to buy shoes and sure I have a foot half a size bigger than the other :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I've been browsing in Tesco Extra since April. I've no problem doing it.

Code red, code red, Persepoly has been stuck in Tesco Extra since last April

• Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

It really is time to support the local shops as best we can and stop giving money to multi billionaires like Bezos

I see Mothercare in Ireland is the latest casualty. So that’s Debenhams, Monsoon, Mothercare...any other big names finished off?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I see Mothercare in Ireland is the latest casualty. So that’s Debenhams, Monsoon, Mothercare...any other big names finished off?
    All of those names have been in financial difficulty. This just highlights how bad their problems were, more clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,565 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Mothercare collapsed last year.

is_that_so wrote: »
    All of those names have been in financial difficulty. This just highlights how bad their problems were, more clearly.

The lockdown finished them off evidently. Anyone in business knows they often struggle and go through difficult periods but existential crises with three months plus of no revenue are enough to finish them off. Let’s hope there’s nothing a plethora more to add to the dole queues

Boggles wrote: »
    Mothercare collapsed last year.

https://www.thejournal.ie/mothercare-ireland-2-5120890-Jun2020/
    Specifically mentioning the impact of Covid 19 as a factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

Local shops have to be accessible and priced competitively. If I've to stand outside in the rain to then find out they have no stock or item is way over priced, then I fear for local bricks and mortar only retailers.

Are supermarkets still bedlam? I haven’t been inside one since early March.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Benimar

https://www.thejournal.ie/mothercare-ireland-2-5120890-Jun2020/
    Specifically mentioning the impact of Covid 19 as a factor.

Mothercare in Waterford is gone a year, they were in big trouble anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,186 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Monsoon still has some Irish stores and he says he has plans for a small type of business from something I read.

Mothercare doesn’t surprise me one bit tough. I think they really hung in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭JDxtra

That's just sad. Some people have little to be doing.

Advertisement