Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone heading to the shops tomorrow?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

thelad95 wrote: »
    2020 summed up in a sentence. Shaming people going to buy some furniture.

They should be out marching / protesting.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

They should be out marching / protesting.
    I think that must be the confusion.. remind me, what's the party line on protesting? Last thing I recall, it was being denigrated as a crime against humanity to gather outdoors in order to affect change in society.

And then a couple of days later capitalism is all systems go inside in the shops and anyone who thinks there's a disparity in this is somehow wrong-headed

Cool.

Just for the record, I'm a "lockdown merchant", but I'll watch this sick social experiment with some interest from the safety of home.

s1ippy wrote: »
    I think that must be the confusion.. remind me, what's the party line on protesting? Last thing I recall, it was being denigrated as a crime against humanity to gather outdoors in order to affect change in society.

And then a couple of days later capitalism is all systems go inside in the shops and anyone who thinks there's a disparity in this is somehow wrong-headed

Cool.

Just for the record, I'm a "lockdown merchant", but I'll watch this sick social experiment with some interest from the safety of home.

I think you missed the sarcasm.

I think this is more futile and just as dangerous as the protests.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,111 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

thelad95 wrote: »
    2020 summed up in a sentence. Shaming people going to buy some furniture.

The plus is they have moved on from their family day out at the supermarket to IKEA so will bother me less.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

What type shops are open from today?

*Edit - I see any retailer with its own Street entrance.

I think this is more futile and just as dangerous as the protests.

I disagree - the shops are far more responsible, better prepared and sensible than any protest ‘organisers’.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭manlad

https://twitter.com/ConalThomas/status/1269932507539128321?s=19

What pathetic, empty lives they must have.

Some people have had to move house in the meantime or at the start of the pandemic so don't have any furniture, I'm in this category. Ikea is the quickest route to getting furniture, most online orders are taking weeks and in some cases months to process. I ordered a couch in Feb from a UK supplier and I'm told it will be August before it will arrive.

Not everyone is going to for a browse, they are going for essential items they've not had for months. Pathetic is an unfair term to use. Its not a happy meal that they're queuing for.

manlad wrote: »
    Some people have had to move house in the meantime or at the start of the pandemic so don't have any furniture, I'm in this category. Ikea is the quickest route to getting furniture, most online orders are taking weeks and in some cases months to process. I ordered a couch in Feb from a UK supplier and I'm told it will be August before it will arrive.

Not everyone is going to for a browse, they are going for essential items they've not had for months. Pathetic is an unfair term to use. Its not a happy meal that they're queuing for.

To be fair, i can fully understand what that poster is saying, and I actually agree to a degree, that it does show up what a dull life you must have if you are queuing for Ikea that far back.

Whatever about being tactile and waiting a week or two, or just getting there early to be first in, surely once you see that the queue is as long as it is, you just turn around and drive home again?

It's like the people that I seen queuing for McDonald's recently that were joining a queue that was already far too long and was way out of the McDondald's car park onto the main road. I do feel that you must have a fairly boring existence if queuing for a McBurger for an hour is something you're actually willing to do.

Now don't get me wrong, I love McDonalds, and I certainly do love Ikea, but I wouldn't queue to get in to either of them. Most certainly would not be joining the back of a very long queue, either.

https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/queues-closing-down-sales-cork-18380720

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Use-your-voice-hold-each-other-accountable-protestors-say-at-Black-Lives-Matter-protest-in-Cork-f691e407-eb30-4410-82e5-2368152bfaa0-ds

So this was happening

0_Guineys.jpg

Just up the road from

mainMediaSize=537x291_type=image_publish=true__image.jpg

Ultimately it doesn't really matter if the shoppers queue responsibly, because if they get the bus home and stand or sit near one of these people who have picked the virus up in the crowd there, they might as well have gone and stood among them.

Also nobody wearing a mask in the queue.

• Advertisement

One has hundreds of people centimetres apart. The other has a fraction of that number with separation. (Household members are generally not expected to social distance from each other.)

One is unlawful the other isn’t.

What is your point?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭double jobbing

Klonker wrote: »
    You can't try on the clothes, that's the only thing a bricks and mortar store had over online shopping. .

Brand name clothes bought in bricks and mortar are nearly always cheaper than online. It is probably one of the biggest psychological con tricks played on the masses that they are somehow often cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭road_high

What’s the story with Kildare Village? Seems to be nothing on their social media. Fair enough places needed to prepare for reopening- but you’ve been closed for three months, I would have thought most would be raring to go. It appears not in many cases. My local Costa, Starbucks etc all still closed.

Brand name clothes bought in bricks and mortar are nearly always cheaper than online. It is probably one of the biggest psychological con tricks played on the masses that they are somehow often cheaper.

That’s very true. Best bargains I get are always in real shops. Pick and choose what you want. Rarely seen online cheaper, I’m not bothered with it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭SweetCaliber

https://www.corkbeo.ie/news/local-news/queues-closing-down-sales-cork-18380720

https://www.echolive.ie/corknews/Use-your-voice-hold-each-other-accountable-protestors-say-at-Black-Lives-Matter-protest-in-Cork-f691e407-eb30-4410-82e5-2368152bfaa0-ds

So this was happening

0_Guineys.jpg

Just up the road from

mainMediaSize=537x291_type=image_publish=true__image.jpg

Ultimately it doesn't really matter if the shoppers queue responsibly, because if they get the bus home and stand or sit near one of these people who have picked the virus up in the crowd there, they might as well have gone and stood among them.

Also nobody wearing a mask in the queue.

Nice to see members of the public practicing proper social distancing and getting on with life and supporting shops. Don't see any issue with that at all.

Has anyone booked slots for certain shops? Brown Thomas and Arnotts have the option but I'm wondering how it works. Skip the queue and spend x amount of time in shop? Or spend as long as you want in shop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

To be fair, i can fully understand what that poster is saying, and I actually agree to a degree, that it does show up what a dull life you must have if you are queuing for Ikea that far back.

Whatever about being tactile and waiting a week or two, or just getting there early to be first in, surely once you see that the queue is as long as it is, you just turn around and drive home again?

It's like the people that I seen queuing for McDonald's recently that were joining a queue that was already far too long and was way out of the McDondald's car park onto the main road. I do feel that you must have a fairly boring existence if queuing for a McBurger for an hour is something you're actually willing to do.

Now don't get me wrong, I love McDonalds, and I certainly do love Ikea, but I wouldn't queue to get in to either of them. Most certainly would not be joining the back of a very long queue, either.

Well ye some people have dull lives, they are forced out of work and stuck at home for weeks upon weeks. Are you living some kind of jet setting life at the minute?

road_high wrote: »
    That’s very true. Best bargains I get are always in real shops. Pick and choose what you want. Rarely seen online cheaper, I’m not bothered with it tbh.

Aside from when MandMDirect throws an ad at me for something that can't be found in the real world I don't go near it. Only time I have bought online is when I have really fancied something I saw in a shop that wasn't in my size. Absolutely always more expensive.

The shops are literally giving away stuff today. A 65 quid hoodie down to 10 quid, 40 percent off Lacoste in Arnotts. You wouldn't get it online for love nor money.

What’s the story with Kildare Village? Seems to be nothing on their social media. Fair enough places needed to prepare for reopening- but you’ve been closed for three months, I would have thought most would be raring to go. It appears not in many cases. My local Costa, Starbucks etc all still closed.

I only heard of this Kildare Village spot when Covid hit, I don't know what their footfall is like but they seem to be poorly advertised if I've only heard of them now.

Aren't they more like a shopping centre set up? Might not be able to legally re open.

I only heard of this Kildare Village spot when Covid hit, I don't know what their footfall is like but they seem to be poorly advertised if I've only heard of them now.

Aren't they more like a shopping centre set up? Might not be able to legally re open.

Where do you live? Hugely popular and footfall would be big especially at weekends and around holidays. They’re an open air shipping centre, not covered over in a traditional open air street design. Maybe they are waiting until next week but I’m fairly sure they’re good to go from last Monday but don’t seem to have opened. Nothing online about it

• Advertisement

Aside from when MandMDirect throws an ad at me for something that can't be found in the real world I don't go near it. Only time I have bought online is when I have really fancied something I saw in a shop that wasn't in my size. Absolutely always more expensive.

The shops are literally giving away stuff today. A 65 quid hoodie down to 10 quid, 40 percent off Lacoste in Arnotts. You wouldn't get it online for love nor money.

Yes in brick n mortar shops you’re way more likely to get that massive reduction- they are far more likely to need to physically move stock whereas as some massive warehouse is under a lot less pressure to shift it. Sounds like a great sale in Arnotts

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Shopping for what you NEED is fine.

Most shopping is browsing and idling time away, which cannot be done now much anyway.

Personally I won't be going near a physical shop anytime soon. Got the internet bug now, and it's great.

But each to their own.

Where do you live? Hugely popular and footfall would be big especially at weekends and around holidays. They’re an open air shipping centre, not covered over in a traditional open air street design. Maybe they are waiting until next week but I’m fairly sure they’re good to go from last Monday but don’t seem to have opened. Nothing online about it

I live in Coolock. Never heard of the place at all until a few months ago. I've been eager to check it since all this started.

I was in to Tommy Hilfiger for a winter jacket this morning. Prices slashed in half but all the mediums in the ones I fancied sold out. I might look online but like you said I doubt I'll get it bought and posted for the 110 quid they were going for in the shops. I'll likely hang on and try Swords S.C / Kildare Outlet when it opens.

In saying that while town was pretty calm today there were queues across the car parks at Blanch S.C retail parks. Don't think I'd fancy it on a weekend and that's likely to be the first time I can get to a shopping centre again.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,173 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Does anybody know how things are about trying things on?
    I know some places such as Penneys aren't opening fitting rooms but other places are.
    If your in Penney's for example and you see a jacket. Can you try it on in the shop?
    Ir have you to buy it and return it?

Does anybody know how things are about trying things on?
    I know some places such as Penneys aren't opening fitting rooms but other places are.
    If your in Penney's for example and you see a jacket. Can you try it on in the shop?
    Ir have you to buy it and return it?

Arnotts had dressing room open today. Lad was wiping down each room after it had been used. Fairly sure BT was the same but I didn't use it. If your shop has mirrors on floor try on anything that doesn't involve removing your pants infront of it- certainly nowhere I went was issuing orders on the door about it.

Sports Direct in town, and the SD/ Heatons in Blanch had their dressing rooms closed.

One thing to be said, all the talk was that browsing in shops was over. It was in me hole, as free to take your time as you always were.

Arnotts had dressing room open today. Lad was wiping down each room after it had been used. Fairly sure BT was the same but I didn't use it. If your shop has mirrors on floor try on anything that doesn't involve removing your pants infront of it- certainly nowhere I went was issuing orders on the door about it.

Sports Direct in town, and the SD/ Heatons in Blanch had their dressing rooms closed.

One thing to be said, all the talk was that browsing in shops was over. It was in me hole, as free to take your time as you always were.

You simply can’t stop people browsing. It would be about as effective as telling people not to breath outside. Shops are open- people are gona browse. It’s just human nature. Minister Heather humphreys sounded ridiculous the other day telling people how to shop. Ive had my fill of government nonsense thanks- I draw the line well before you telling me how to shop

• Registered Users Posts: 30,173 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

To go clothes/sofa/cushion/etc shopping you sort of need to browse. In my opinion.
    I even find the supermarkets locally are far more chilled than they were a few weeks ago. Lots of people in just buying a handful of things but just staying away from one another.

To go clothes/sofa/cushion/etc shopping you sort of need to browse. In my opinion.
    I even find the supermarkets locally are far more chilled than they were a few weeks ago. Lots of people in just buying a handful of things but just staying away from one another.

Went to Aldi this evening (a very busy branch) and it was a pleasure- same as shopping pre lockdown really just with floor stickers and Perspex around the till.
    With all the other shops opening I reckon it’s taken the big crowds out of the supermarkets. Never made sense to me to congregate crowds and spending in just a few select places. That’s what gave us all those queues to start with

bush wrote: »
    Well ye some people have dull lives, they are forced out of work and stuck at home for weeks upon weeks. Are you living some kind of jet setting life at the minute?

Nope, I'm out of work and stuck at home for weeks upon weeks.

Still wouldn't spend an hour queuing for a Big Mac, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,111 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It looks to me with the additional shops open people have fecked off from the unnecessary supermarket outings to pass the time.

Advertisement