Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk: 'Lunchtime Live' with Andrea Gilligan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    Good point. I'm sure they have figures somewhere about the gender breakdown of listerners at that time. The show is not for me, I do music or podcasts until news at 1.

You can get them in the last jnlr book. I’m off this week so can’t be bothered looking (they’re on my work laptop) but if you google them they’ll come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Who will be replacing her from 12-2?

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

JJayoo wrote: »
    Who will be replacing her from 12-2?

Andrea Gilligan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

You know, somewhere in my head I have this picture of George Hook sitting back in his chair this evening with a glass of wine and muttering
    "Enjoy the early mornings...............Doctor Kellyyy"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,752 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

The Donegal chef with the weird (even for Donegal) accent that Ciara creams over.

Pronounces (pizza) toppings as "tappings".
    Equally weird way of saying "oven".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,864 ✭✭✭Dickie10

Hook sounded like he was turned on by kelly. kelly loved the attention, played the oh Im a saucy woman, but also highly intelligent and driven because i made it to be a doctor. Hook loved saying DOCTOR ciara Kelly, he also loved phrases like "give it to me straight doc...." because if course he used to speaking to his upper middle class, rugby playing mates , quite a few of whome did med-sin dont you know know and had there own practice, my mate the doc.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

Dickie10 wrote: »
    Hook sounded like he was turned on by kelly. kelly loved the attention, played the oh Im a saucy woman, but also highly intelligent and driven because i made it to be a doctor. Hook loved saying DOCTOR ciara Kelly, he also loved phrases like "give it to me straight doc...." because if course he used to speaking to his upper middle class, rugby playing mates , quite a few of whome did med-sin dont you know know and had there own practice, my mate the doc.

Freud/Marx for dummies..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I just saw that she is moving from lunch time to breakfast. Will she be before Pat? Who is moving into her slot?

IWho is moving into her slot?

.....it's like the tampon thing over again "Get it up thereeee"

• Registered Users Posts: 23,395 ✭✭✭✭zell12

This has gone all Liveline recently
    Today it is moaning and whinging mammies about some golf dinner in Clifden along with FF supporters asking 'what is the issue?'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I actually can't listen recently. The anger and criticism is understandable but the moaning is just too much. And the problem is Susan seemed to be the biggest moaner.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

zell12 wrote: »
    Today it is moaning and whinging mammies about some golf dinner in Clifden along with FF supporters asking 'what is the issue?'

They really should ditch the “live line” format. It’s awful. Getting idiots and morons on to gripe about some pointless issue is unbearable.

Let RTÉ keep the grey, and purple rinse, “brigade” interested in whatever the moronic cause du jour is.

Newstalk would be far better served bringing on informed guests to talk sensibly about important matters. All this “baiting” of people with nothing better to be doing is, utterly, pointless.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,240 ✭✭✭Mav11

I haven't listened to her since the vagina and tampon rant. And I have no intention of allowing her to inflict herself on me in her new slot.

They really should ditch the “live line” format. It’s awful. Getting idiots and morons on to gripe about some pointless issue is unbearable.

Let RTÉ keep the grey, and purple rinse, “brigade” interested in whatever the moronic cause du jour is.

Newstalk would be far better served bringing on informed guests to talk sensibly about important matters. All this “baiting” of people with nothing better to be doing is, utterly, pointless.

Unbelievable ranting and moaning today and mentioning “golfgate” over and over and over !
    Newstallk hypes issues like this beyond belief. It started at 7am on the Breakfast Show , they were on it and out for blood, they whip up a public frenzy and act as Judge and Jury allowing callers make whatever assumptions they like with no challenge and no fairness.
    Then when the **** hits the fan they will join in the moaning and slagging off of the unfortunate new minister for Agriculture whoever he is and whatever he does.

I don’t agree with what happened in Clifden and don’t understand why this event was organized at all, but it is likely that Calleary’s management team or secretary organizes and plans his diary and his events. He may have attended in good faith and assumed the hotel had looked after the social distancing measures. He might have been there for an hour before going to the dining room and seeing the table layout and screens . Maybe he left at that stage , maybe he didn’t, it would have been hard to turn on his heel and leave if the likes of Hogan, Wolfe and Sean O Rourke were ensconced there ..........regardless it was a seriously bad call on his part.

However the public are baying for blood, ranting, crying, outraged etc, gleefully whipped up into a foaming at the mouth frenzy by Newstalk. I understand all this, Covid has been awful, restrictions have been hell, but what is the purpose of seeing the likes of Dara Calleary resign. He’s the best candidate for Minister for Ag, he’s intelligent , he knows his brief , who do we have to replace him ? Who do we have to replace the CEO of Bord Failte who went to Italy on his hols? He was by far the best CEO we have had In Bord Failte for decades. We don’t have a deep pool of talent in this small country , the reaction to everything now is rage and asking for heads on plates!

I think this is so short sighted . Calleary should have been fined €150k and Phil Hogan and his cronies too. There were so many Agricultural issues and policies that needed the attention of a Minister, now once again we have nobody. We love shooting ourselves in the foot in this country , complete hysterical over reaction aided and abetted by Newstalk !!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭Allinall

meeeeh wrote: »
    I actually can't listen recently. The anger and criticism is understandable but the moaning is just too much. And the problem is Susan seemed to be the biggest moaner.

It's like a broadcast version of boards.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

The first 'caller' was so articulate and emotive it seemed to be obviously an actor reading from a script.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Unbelievable ranting and moaning today and mentioning “golfgate” over and over and over !
    Newstallk hypes issues like this beyond belief. It started at 7am on the Breakfast Show , they were on it and out for blood, they whip up a public frenzy and act as Judge and Jury allowing callers make whatever assumptions they like with no challenge and no fairness.
    Then when the **** hits the fan they will join in the moaning and slagging off of the unfortunate new minister for Agriculture whoever he is and whatever he does.

I don’t agree with what happened in Clifden and don’t understand why this event was organized at all, but it is likely that Calleary’s management team or secretary organizes and plans his diary and his events. He may have attended in good faith and assumed the hotel had looked after the social distancing measures. He might have been there for an hour before going to the dining room and seeing the table layout and screens . Maybe he left at that stage , maybe he didn’t, it would have been hard to turn on his heel and leave if the likes of Hogan, Wolfe and Sean O Rourke were ensconced there ..........regardless it was a seriously bad call on his part.

However the public are baying for blood, ranting, crying, outraged etc, gleefully whipped up into a foaming at the mouth frenzy by Newstalk. I understand all this, Covid has been awful, restrictions have been hell, but what is the purpose of seeing the likes of Dara Calleary resign. He’s the best candidate for Minister for Ag, he’s intelligent , he knows his brief , who do we have to replace him ? Who do we have to replace the CEO of Bord Failte who went to Italy on his hols? He was by far the best CEO we have had In Bord Failte for decades. We don’t have a deep pool of talent in this small country , the reaction to everything now is rage and asking for heads on plates!

I think this is so short sighted . Calleary should have been fined €150k and Phil Hogan and his cronies too. There were so many Agricultural issues and policies that needed the attention of a Minister, now once again we have nobody. We love shooting ourselves in the foot in this country , complete hysterical over reaction aided and abetted by Newstalk !!

I agree to a certain extent that a lot of this is optics and we don’t know exactly what went on. But people are taking it personally and a kick in the teeth for all their sacrifice over the last few months.

It’s also bringing up the absolute sh1tshow that FF created in the last recession and the fear of it happening all over again.

That said, newstalk and today Fm jumped on the opportunity to create absolute sensationalism. Matt Cooper was on early in the day advertising his show in a real Kay burley style. Really low

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Good god, he is a grown man being paid well to run the country. It’s because people make excuses for them and let them away with it that they pull theses stunts and treat the electorate like gob****es. It seriously outrages me that people are so bloody stupid.

Is Ciara still collecting Tampons?

https://youtu.be/y2ak_oBeC-I

New theme tune?

Mav11 wrote: »
    I haven't listened to her since the vagina and tampon rant. And I have no intention of allowing her to inflict herself on me in her new slot.

I will give the new slot she is in a listen, as i did enjoy the show as it was with Shane and Kieran ( and others who filled in from time to time) it had a nice rhythm to it.

I cant see it lasting though, I don't really listen to doctor kelly, nothing against her personally but she has a tone and a voice I find grating on the ears.

I think personally she was reigned in and needed a buffer against her opinions, because as the show was from what I am reading she was just in an echo chamber.

Glad to see Andrea get the afternoon slot, and Kirean the hard shoulder.

Looks like i'm off to morning Ireland so if all else fails!!!!, Good luck to all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

Bring back George

Good god, he is a grown man being paid well to run the country. It’s because people make excuses for them and let them away with it that they pull theses stunts and treat the electorate like gob****es. It seriously outrages me that people are so bloody stupid.

I am not stupid. ( Firstly Dara Callleary is not paid to run the country because he is not Taoiseach)

But I am also not foaming at the mouth, baying for blood, incandescent with rage. I don't get outraged because Newstalk set the agenda, whip up a frenzy, run a story to death 24/7, influence what people think, allow allegations to go unfounded. (people texting in rage about Dara Calleary playing golf when he doesn't play golf!)

I am gobsmacked that this event was organised or allowed to go ahead. I cannot understand the stupidity or arrogance of those who attended. This is a public hotel with other guests. They were bound to be seen. The "whistle blower" who contacted The Examiner who broke the story had a "covid anxious 11 year old" this wasn't going to go unnoticed.

However Newstalk across the board yesterday were positively orgasmic in their coverage. By the time Mark Cagney got a hold of it there was nothing more to say, it was done to death, yet he flogged it and flogged it and flogged it .

I just hate the way lately Newstalk do things, those Cuddihy and Coleman idiots in the morning with their PC sanctimious holier than thou attitude to everything. Lunchtime Live with Sara was appalling yesterday, she ignored other issues that people had wanted to discuss and kept going back to Golfgate with glee, her voice almost shrieking at times.
    Pat Kenny was the only reasoned commentator on this story.

Outrage will move on after the weekend, it always does, people just have to be outraged about something. But now we have lost the best CEO of Bord Failte we ever had who was bringing hundreds of millions into this country in tourism because the media whipped up such a storm about his trip to Italy! He was hounded out. Now we have no Minister for Agriculture yet again when Agriculture has lost millions in revenue since the beginning of Covid,they needed a Minister and the West needed a government representative.

Mark my words these same broadcasters and commentators on Newstalk will be lambasting the government in Winter because the tourism sector is on its knees and the farmers are losing their livelihoods!

(BTW I am from the East, not a farmer, not a FF voter or fan and yes I know there is an "off" button on the radio)

I think it's more that citizens are angry and worn out with the overnight life-changing caused by Covid19 and articulating their frustration with years of political mismanagement.

More of this to come over the next few months

I think it's more that citizens are angry and worn out with the overnight life-changing caused by Covid19 and articulating their frustration with years of political mismanagement.

More of this to come over the next few months

yeah I completely agree with you on this....... i think we are all so tired of Covid restrictions too, and it is truly life changing for most of us.

"Annoyed, sickened, devastated" are the words being used on Newstalk Bobby Kerr right now , God I really need to switch radio off. I really get the feelings behind this but i hate the radio coverage. I guess I think its all really bad for people's mental health to get so outraged and upset listening to media rants, real life is bad enough.

Bobby Kerr just predicted that Phil Hogan will resign by 6pm Saturday

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

I agree to a certain extent that a lot of this is optics and we don’t know exactly what went on. But people are taking it personally and a kick in the teeth for all their sacrifice over the last few months.

It’s also bringing up the absolute sh1tshow that FF created in the last recession and the fear of it happening all over again.

That said, newstalk and today Fm jumped on the opportunity to create absolute sensationalism. Matt Cooper was on early in the day advertising his show in a real Kay burley style. Really low

No surprises from Matt Cooper then...has an incredible talent for sounding genuine...believed it myself for ages..now can't miss every shrieking self self serving waffle that comes out of his gob.Media love to pretend to be honest brokers ...but happy to amplify/invent bull**** at every opportunity

Since switching to her new time slot I honestly haven't a single negative thing to say about Ciara and as long as she stays put and I never have to listen to her I will be happy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Good grief, who is the todays awful presenter on Lunchtime live on Newstalk.... Awful voice...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,540 ✭✭✭Allinall

Good grief, who is the todays awful presenter on Lunchtime live on Newstalk.... Awful voice...

Sinead Ryan.

Very clear and articulate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Allinall wrote: »
    Sinead Ryan.

Very clear and articulate.

Can’t, for the life of me, understand how her ‘Home Show’ gets a weekend morning slot. Would be better suited either in the evening time or late during the week.

Can’t switch it off quick enough.

The tide is turning…

Advertisement