Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk: 'Lunchtime Live' with Andrea Gilligan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Paddy1234

I was in the car for 10 mins listening to this and I will never tune into this show again. I can’t see her lasting long in this slot. It was cringe listening to it. She just didn’t get it.
    Unbelievable!! She even came back to it 3 times and still couldnt grasp it “Do you mind people walking around your house” “ do you mind if people have kids in the house” “what will happen when you come back to your house after the trips”?
    Unbelievable stuff :confused:

• Site Banned Posts: 49 Softshoulder

I didn't get to listen to it.

Did she not get the concept or think it was Air BnB or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Jimi H

It really is terrible now. I only started listening to the radio in March and I’d have Newstalk on in the background all day. What have people switched to during this show?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭Tork

It goes to show how irrelevant the show has become that the mods can't be arsed changing the thread title or closing it to start a new one. I've reported it but the silence is deafening. Ciara Kelly started on the Breakfast Show at the end of August.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭boardise

That's right mike. I'm from the Midlands and I'm thinking of the likes of Midlands 103 radio. Ciara Kelly irritated me at times but she had a bit of something about her. Radio has changed so much in the last 20 years. I remember Will Leahy on 2FM back in the day and thinking his show was brilliant. Maybe I have rose tinted ears but it really was.

I never listen to 2FM anymore. Or TodayFM or Spin or those type of stations. They are all dreadful. A bunch of people thinking they are hilarious and talking rubbish. Such a shame Phantom went the way it did.

In saying all that I'm not 22 which is the target audience for a lot of them.

Would that be age or IQ ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Morathi

Listening for the first time today.

Jaysus it's bad. Holy rollers on complaining about the churches not being open.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Morathi wrote: »

Its kinda rare for them to talk to the 'holly rollers' on this show. But bad show today, sometimes there are good topics to discuss when the 'presenter' is not talking over every caller all the time, even if she agrees or disagrees with caller.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭boardise

Morathi wrote: »

They have a point though. Churches are large spaces with only ever sparse attendances.
    If a handful of elderly people get a grain of comfort from being in church I think they should be let do so.
    Masks, spacing, ventilation, sanitiser and holy water....a controlled environment if ever there was one.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,812 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

boardise wrote: »
    They have a point though. Churches are large spaces with only ever sparse attendances.
    If a handful of elderly people get a grain of comfort from being in church I think they should be let do so.
    Masks, spacing, ventilation, sanitiser and holy water....a controlled environment if ever there was one.
    Agreed.

For all the slagging/abuse they get, I think the priests are right on this one.

For the most part, it's a very compliant, observant cohort (the elderly), it's in their own interests to adhere to advice, and a lot of churches are absolutely huge and perfectly socially distanced even when "full"!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Morathi

Whether they're right or not is a moot point imo.

I'd prefer more of a critical discussion on it, than people complaining and an interviewer just listening.

But anyway, I suppose it just means this show isn't for me. Felt far too light and uninteresting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,837 ✭✭✭statto25

Daft Dave on with Andrea there

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

The SEAI Awards were on yesterday and Andrea Gilligan was MC. She was MC last year also in the Radisson in Golden Lane and at the time I didn't know who she was but merely thought to myself "who the hell is this?"
    Yesterday was a new low. It was pre-recorded and she could barely read from a script. A TY student could have done better.
    Is this the best that national radio has to offer?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

i think Andrea is pretty good, have to switch off Ronan Collins obviously, liveline is atrocious radio, and so i usually stick with newstalk for the rest of the day then... moncrief, Kieran Cuddihy and the off the ball lads decent line up compared to the alternatives...

Just on them talking about teens and college.
    I completely understand how hard it is for 1st year college students right now. My niece is a first year college student, studying online. She hates it. Heart isn't in it at all. She was a great student up to the LC. I would imagine thats the same for a lot of these 'young adults' in this nothing of a year all over the world, its not just Ireland.

Spoke with my bro about it. 1st year isnt about college, its about moving out of your town. Meeting new people, moving on from friends (not all of them of course) from secondary school. Having your first proper bit of independence. Night life, boyfriends/girlfriends, the shift too, as petty as that sounds.

No there is not a war going on, its just, life has stopped for these people at an important time in their lives. Not all of them are having house parties like. Thats more of a Golf thing.

Thats all really. Life is pretty **** for them right now. Cant we just acknowledge it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,942 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Donegal FM is painful

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Just on them talking about teens and college.
    I completely understand how hard it is for 1st year college students right now. My niece is a first year college student, studying online. She hates it. Heart isn't in it at all. She was a great student up to the LC. I would imagine thats the same for a lot of these 'young adults' in this nothing of a year all over the world, its not just Ireland.

Spoke with my bro about it. 1st year isnt about college, its about moving out of your town. Meeting new people, moving on from friends (not all of them of course) from secondary school. Having your first proper bit of independence. Night life, boyfriends/girlfriends, the shift too, as petty as that sounds.

No there is not a war going on, its just, life has stopped for these people at an important time in their lives. Not all of them are having house parties like. Thats more of a Golf thing.

Thats all really. Life is pretty **** for them right now. Cant we just acknowledge it.

Must be topic of the day with Newstalk, I notice this is a regular thing with Newstalk. They'll pick a topic and you'll hear it discussed on various shows through the day.
    This morning Shane and Ciara had several lengthy discussions about the young not getting the "shift" and even discussed it with a couple of guests.
    Obviously Andrea continued the topic so I fully expect Ciaran Cuddihy to continue this evening.

Must be topic of the day with Newstalk, I notice this is a regular thing with Newstalk. They'll pick a topic and you'll hear it discussed on various shows through the day.
    This morning Shane and Ciara had several lengthy discussions about the young not getting the "shift" and even discussed it with a couple of guests.
    Obviously Andrea continued the topic so I fully expect Ciaran Cuddihy to continue this evening.

Yup, it's everywhere with the shift being mentioned in the Dail yesterday.
    But this actual conversation has been had for at least 6 months.

2smiggy wrote: »
    Donegal FM is painful

i don't get this attitude, you don't like the presenters accent? get over it

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭insert name here 123

In my opinion she is not duties9tk the lunchtime slot, maybe that guy Jonathan (don't know surname) would be better suited.

Her accent/voice is terrible, I know she can't help it, but my god it's just not for radio, maybe TV she would do well as I think she is funny and seems down to earth.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭insert name here 123

gourcuff wrote: »
    i don't get this attitude, you don't like the presenters accent? get over it

But it's relevant, especially in radio, that's the way it is, Pat Kenny, Tom Dunne, even moncrief just have that easy listening tone. I understand she can't help it, but it's a common theme if you look at other threads or when her name is mentioned online...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,579 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

In my opinion she is not duties9tk the lunchtime slot, maybe that guy Jonathan (don't know surname) would be better suited.

Her accent/voice is terrible, I know she can't help it, but my god it's just not for radio, maybe TV she would do well as I think she is funny and seems down to earth.

Jonathan Healy? Used to have the lunchtime slot before Hook, who got booted so they gave it to Ciara Kelly.

Andrea has a perfectly fine voice for this show, there's no issue there. All she needs is a few months to settle in and it'll be grand.

But it's relevant, especially in radio, that's the way it is, Pat Kenny, Tom Dunne, even moncrief just have that easy listening tone. I understand she can't help it, but it's a common theme if you look at other threads or when her name is mentioned online...

a common theme is people not liking the donegal accent? never seen that attitude anywhere in ireland before, if anything its one of the most popular.

personally find the dublin accent horrific, haven't heard one blend i like, not even the makey up american one, so i would never listen to nicky byrne, but i would take donegal all day long

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

a common theme is people not liking the donegal accent? never seen that attitude anywhere in ireland before, if anything its one of the most popular.

personally find the dublin accent horrific, haven't heard one blend i like, not even the makey up american one, so i would never listen to nicky byrne, but i would take donegal all day long

I wouldn't conflate the two of those......

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Could a Mod please change the thread title!! Ciara has gone and while, in my opinion, the present incumbent is even worse her name should be there for all to see. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭McGinniesta

Who's going to text in to tell Andrea Gilligan that 9\11 was an inside job.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭kleiner feigling

Is Andrea Gilligan a bit thick?

She really doesn't seem able to grasp the concept of a raffle.

They seem to be discussing another house raffle today, let's see if she's figured it out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Corcaigh84

What controversy were they talking about in a Carlow school? I missed the actual details

• Registered Users Posts: 11,843 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Maybe it's a hangover from the Irish aural exam.

Patronising caller. Irish people don't realise how big America is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Treppen

Corcaigh84 wrote: »
    What controversy were they talking about in a Carlow school? I missed the actual details

Lesbians were feeling left out as it was only the males who needed saving from scantily clad female students...

They should have asked old George Hookey for his opinion.

Advertisement