Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk: 'Lunchtime Live' with Andrea Gilligan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

SozBbz wrote: »
    I want to like Andrea Gilligan, but I just can't.

Me too. And I'll feel empathy for her when I switch it off. But I haven't been listening for weeks and assume ratings must be down as it takes a lot for a habitual creature like me to change to something else.

She's definitely not suited to a fast paced lunchtime show. Late nights or early morning easy listening would probably be better for her.

Then again, I suppose people get used to things after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,408 ✭✭✭✭zell12

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

zell12 wrote: »

She did tremendous work as a doxxer this year in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

I'm sick of hearing about these meaningless awards. Does anybody apart from the winners giving a flying ****?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Rolling Stone

Sigh. Another African migrant on telling us how racist we all are. Funny how there are never migrants on the radio with a positive outlook on Irish society and how their lives have been bettered by moving here.

Also annoying how the presenter always has a somber, almost apologetic tone as if they are apologising on behalf of the Irish nation for crimes against humanity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭terryduff12

What was the experience someone ask did they want a glass of coke?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Sigh. Another African migrant on telling us how racist we all are. Funny how there are never migrants on the radio with a positive outlook on Irish society and how their lives have been bettered by moving here.

I'm stick to death of this sh1t. If it's that bad, it's certainly not stopping people from coming. Ireland is doing more for them than their own country is, else they wouldn't be here.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭kleiner feigling

I've really tried to give Andrea a chance on this new time slot but it is awful. Not sure how someone with such poor communication skills managed to get work in live broadcasting. Awkward, stilted and one-note throughout. Back to the podcasts....

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭bookman2

shes fairly poor alright she clearly doesn't realise that she has one of the all time great hurlers- eddie keher- on her show now!

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭mikep

I also find the program pointless and am surprised at how poor a presenter she is..
    Capped off last week by stating that she will be going "home" to Donegal for Xmas, no matter what....
    It's really just another liveline...

• Advertisement

mikep wrote: »
    I also find the program pointless and am surprised at how poor a presenter she is..
    Capped off last week by stating that she will be going "home" to Donegal for Xmas, no matter what....
    It's really just another liveline...

I wanted to like Andrea Gilligan too. I didn't like Ciara Kelly and was happy to give Andrea a go. But I can't stand this show and its not getting better. Her nasally accent is hard to bear after a few weeks, her constant "there you have it" comment, her very abrupt way of cutting people off if there is a hint of criticism of the media (earlier this week she jumped down the throat of a cafe owner in Duleek who said the media were driving the hysteria and fear over Covid, which they are!)

It is utterly boring now. Talking about turkeys today and even the turkey providers were saying it was a bit too early to call how Christmas business will be, its usually after Halloween that we think of turkeys, the whole show was just flat and boring, I've given it a go, sorry Andrea I'm out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

"The skuuuuls breakin' the ruuuuls. There ya have it..."

Yep it's absolutely dire.
    Sinead Ryan was standing in last week and tried to nail some guy on discussing PCP for cars. She made a statement in a "gotcha" sort of way. He very politely corrected her and instantly she went into "aha, him, yeah yeah" passive aggressive mode. She completely disengaged from the conversation. It was cringeworthy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Heroditas wrote: »
    "The skuuuuls breakin' the ruuuuls. There ya have it..."

Yep it's absolutely dire.
    Sinead Ryan was standing in last week and tried to nail some guy on discussing PCP for cars. She made a statement in a "gotcha" sort of way. He very politely corrected her and instantly she went into "aha, him, yeah yeah" passive aggressive mode. She completely disengaged from the conversation. It was cringeworthy stuff.

Sinead Ryan is insufferable , huge air of authority about her , in truth shes a complete lightweight who utters bland advice that most already are well aware of , fancies herself as a financial guru but its mostly just " dont over stretch the credit card or leave the emersion on stuff " delivered by a south dublin MILF

Toy buying is so manic today thet not one but two toy shop owners had time to come onto Lunchtime Live today.

I really can't help thinking that Toy Shop owners are trying to push up mania around toy buying.

Edit: Now make that three.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭Allinall

Toy buying is so manic today thet not one but two toy shop owners had time to come onto Lunchtime Live today.

I really can't help thinking that Toy Shop owners are trying to push up mania around toy buying.

Edit: Now make that three.

Yep. Listening here.

Claire asked him if he would like toy shops to be classed as "essential".

"yes" says he. "Because after Christmas we wont sell any toys for ages" :D

Allinall wrote: »
    Yep. Listening here.

Toy buying is sooo manic today this is now the 4th toy shop owner that has time to go on the radio.

And two of them have admitted to not having a website.

Jeff Bezos decided to sell books via the internet in the mid-90s. He's now one of the richest men in the world. HINT HINT.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Allinall wrote: »
    Yep. Listening here.

80-90% of Smyths' annual turnover is done in December apparently

Heroditas wrote: »
    80-90% of Smyths' annual turnover is done in December apparently

And they are set up for that.

Meanwhile artisan toy shop owner in Malahide who sells wooden trains and doesn't have a website is trying to fan the flame of manic toy purchasing by going on the radio and describing how manic it is today.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ofthelord

I've been working from home most of the year now, and I always put the Newstalk on in the background. While I wasn't the biggest fan of Ciara's show, I always left it on and it was good in parts. But I must say I now turn off Newstwalk for the couple of hours each day once Andrea comes on, it just bores me now..

ofthelord wrote: »
    I've been working from home most of the year now, and I always put the Newstalk on in the background. While I wasn't the biggest fan of Ciara's show, I always left it on and it was good in parts. But I must say I now turn off Newstwalk for the couple of hours each day once Andrea comes on, it just bores me now..

Its gone very poor.

• Advertisement

Is Andrea Gilligan a bit thick?

She really doesn't seem able to grasp the concept of a raffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭fire_man

Jesus Andrea not with it today.Couldn't uunderstand if soemone wins house from draw it's their house!Awful radio

Gawd. Andrea. I think it's charisma or something that's needed to be an engaging and effective presenter, that she's missing.

What's this fella on about.

fire_man wrote: »
    Jesus Andrea not with it today.Couldn't uunderstand if soemone wins house from draw it's their house!Awful radio

She finally managed to ask the important question, wich is how many tickets doel she need to sell. Answer 80,000. :eek:

Good luck with that!

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭mikep

Gawd. Andrea. I think it's charisma or something that's needed to be an engaging and effective presenter, that she's missing.

I think that is correct also..I only lasted one minute today as her tone just gets to me...
    She reminds me of a poor local radio presenter.
    Now that I think about, reading out the death notices is probably as much as she should be allowed do...

• Site Banned Posts: 49 Softshoulder

Also annoying how the presenter always has a somber, almost apologetic tone as if they are apologising on behalf of the Irish nation for crimes against humanity.

I remember Ivan Yates had a thing there about a year ago "refugee week" or something.

Funnily enough they gave very vague reasons why they had to leave their country. Some of them seemed genuine, they were threatened with murder or rape but then some gave answers like an Albanian who said "the politicial situation in the country is not good for me."

• Site Banned Posts: 49 Softshoulder

Her accent is too harsh to be on radio.

mikep wrote: »
    I think that is correct also..I only lasted one minute today as her tone just gets to me...
    She reminds me of a poor local radio presenter.
    Now that I think about, reading out the death notices is probably as much as she should be allowed do...

That's right mike. I'm from the Midlands and I'm thinking of the likes of Midlands 103 radio. Ciara Kelly irritated me at times but she had a bit of something about her. Radio has changed so much in the last 20 years. I remember Will Leahy on 2FM back in the day and thinking his show was brilliant. Maybe I have rose tinted ears but it really was.

I never listen to 2FM anymore. Or TodayFM or Spin or those type of stations. They are all dreadful. A bunch of people thinking they are hilarious and talking rubbish. Such a shame Phantom went the way it did.

In saying all that I'm not 22 which is the target audience for a lot of them.

• Advertisement

fire_man wrote: »

Unbelievable!! She even came back to it 3 times and still couldnt grasp it “Do you mind people walking around your house” “ do you mind if people have kids in the house” “what will happen when you come back to your house after the trips”?
    Unbelievable stuff :confused:

Advertisement