Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DigiWeb

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

1dave123 wrote: »
    Hi there - that's interesting.

I am a completely new customer and I just signed up for the Superfast Broadband Unlimited plus Free Anytime Calls package. FTTC.

The modem that arrived was a fritz-box 7430. It is good condition (just a few marks) - but it definitely looks as if it has been used before.

Not a showstopper ........ but I was a little disappointed.
    I think that's the one they sent me out initially too, when I signed up for their SIRO fibre package.

At the time, when I contacted them, I was told it was only until the 7530 was back in stock. They did send me out the 7530 to swap out with the older one a few weeks later.

It might be no harm to contact them, see what the craic is, probably a similar situation, especially these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭apophis32

Digiweb wrote: »
    Hi, we are currently reviewing our FUP however as an immediate step our qouted FUP allowance will increase to 2 TB. It is important to note that this isn't a hard cap. Before notifying customers of excessive usage we take a number of factors into consideration including network utilisation, customers average monthly usage etc. We always communicate with customers re FUP before taking any action

Hi there,
    Will the new 2 TB fup apply to fttc customer's also... thanks in advance...

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭1dave123

Thanks byte for taking the time to reply. That's good to know.

I did phone DWeb yesterday just to check and the sales person told me that the 7430 was the standard modern for the FTTC and sometimes new customers are sent refurbished modems. I took from it that it's kinda the luck of the draw.

Anyway - it's not a major issue ..... it just took me by surprise .......especially as it had followed a few other small issues. Example : I hadn't received the text notification that the modem was even arriving. Something somewhere went wrong and I had to contact Digiweb Friday pm to find out if the modem had been posted and to get the tracking number.

All in all I don't think I would call this the smoothest new customer experience I have ever had - but what can you do. Given other very positive feedback I have read about DWeb maybe my expectations were set too high.

The engineer arrives Tuesday to do the fibre socket installation. Hopefully things will get better from there.

• Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

apophis32 wrote: »
    Hi there,
    Will the new 2 TB fup apply to fttc customer's also... thanks in advance...

Yes

Digiweb wrote: »
    Yes

OK! thank you, that just could (for now) stop me moving away from Digiweb to a truly unlimited ISP, such as , Sky, Eir, Airwire or Westnet, .....don't know Vodafone's current offering's....
    Hopefully Digiweb will follow these other consumer friendly isp's..
    thank you again...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

apophis32 wrote: »
    OK! thank you, that just could (for now) stop me moving away from Digiweb to a truly unlimited ISP, such as , Sky, Eir, Airwire or Westnet, .....don't know Vodafone's current offering's....
    Hopefully Digiweb will follow these other consumer friendly isp's..
    thank you again...

Sky isn't truly unlimited, It is on FTTC services but not for FTTH. Sky have a 2tb monthly limit with their FTTH plans.

Gonzo wrote: »
    Sky isn't truly unlimited, It is on FTTC services but not for FTTH. Sky have a 2tb monthly limit with their FTTH plans.

Well... I'm currently on fttc, so..? that's what I'm interested in...
    But Thanks again anyway...ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Heighway61

Maybe Boards:Digiweb or a Fritzbox 7530 user could advise me here. I've looked at the manuals and Fritzbox support online but the technical language goes over my head.

Is it possible to block external connections to the router? A more or less blanket block apart from from my sons gaming (if that's relevant). Without going into the exact reasons, can I drill down through the menu and set something on or off?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Heighway61 wrote: »
    Is it possible to block external connections to the router? A more or less blanket block apart from from my sons gaming (if that's relevant). Without going into the exact reasons, can I drill down through the menu and set something on or off?

Thats what NAT routers (Inc the fritz) already do. If a connection comes out its established and maintained, if it comes in unsolicited it's just dropped.

You could block all traffic by unplugging it or you'll probably need to describe the end goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,426 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I understand that no services are open to the outside internet by default. You can enable web or ftp access but you actually have to do it. Standard setting is all off.
    Options can be found under Internet/Permit Access. If there is nothing 'on' under 'Port Sharing' or 'Fritzbox Services' you should be fine.

• Advertisement

A person who was living in the house set the router up and, I believe, set up external access for himself. Would have been for legitimate reasons at the time but as they no longer live here I would feel better if this access was removed.

A person who was living in the house set the router up and, I believe, set up external access for himself. Would have been for legitimate reasons at the time but as they no longer live here I would feel better if this access was removed.

Ok then I would also check System/Fritzbox Users. Make sure for all users 'Access from the internet' is off and also 'VPN'.

Maybe if you see that person's fritzbbox user there in the users list may as well delete it.

Ok then I would also check System/Fritzbox Users. Make sure for all users 'Access from the internet' is off and also 'VPN'.

Maybe if you see that person's fritzbbox user there in the users list may as well delete it.
    There's two users in Users. ftpuser, which looks like a system default for NAS, and second one which is named with a string of numbers and letters (maybe a machine name?). This user has full control. Best get rid of that?

Just want to sure not to mess up the gaming side of things.

There's two users in Users. ftpuser, which looks like a system default for NAS, and second one which is named with a string of numbers and letters (maybe a machine name?). This user has full control. Best get rid of that?

Just want to sure not to mess up the gaming side of things.

How do you log on yourself? With the code printed on the label?

ftpuser is ok btw. Thats a default user and in my case I use it for NAS sometimes but thats internal to the home network. As long as 'Access from the internet allowed' is not on thats ok.

How do you log on yourself? With the code printed on the label?
    IP of router in web browser and.. eh OK I'll change the default password!

IP of router in web browser and.. eh OK I'll change the default password!

No I mean with what user name?

Is it that string of numbers and letters by any chance?

No I mean with what user name?
    There's no username.

The dialog is:

Please log in using your password.
    Password: __________

There's no username.

The dialog is:

Please log in using your password.
    Password: __________

Ah ok. You're running on the built in system account.

What I would do I'd create a new user for yourself. Heighway or something. Give that user all rights but not Access from the internet allowed and not VPN.
    Then delete that machine name user but let ftpuser alone except for checking settings as described earlier.

There should only be you and ftpuser after that and no outside acces for either of them.

Then in the future you use that Heighway user for logging in and all the settings stuff.

Before you do that you take a backup of the settings just in case that user was important for something which is very unlikely. But you could do that backup just in case. System/Backup/Save.

Ah ok. You're running on the built in system account.

What I would do I'd create a new user for yourself. Heighway or something. Give that user all rights but not Access from the internet allowed and not VPN.
    Then delete that machine name user but let ftpuser alone except for checking settings as described earlier.

There should only be you and ftpuser after that and no outside acces for either of them.

Then in the future you use that Heighway user for logging in and all the settings stuff.

Before you do that you take a backup of the settings just in case that user was important for something which is very unlikely. But you could do that backup just in case. System/Backup/Save.
    Thanks a milliion, I'll give that a go.

In System > Fritzbox Users is says:

Login with user name from the home network is currently disabled. The users displayed are valid only for access from the internet. You can log in to the home network with your FRITZ!Box password and no user name.

This won't give me any problems logging in when I set up the new account with a username?

• Advertisement

Login with user name from the home network is currently disabled. The users displayed are valid only for access from the internet. You can log in to the home network with your FRITZ!Box password and no user name.

This won't give me any problems logging in when I set up the new account with a username?

No it won't. But if you dont like it you can continue with the built-in system account. May be a good idea to change the password though.

Either way delete that weird string user and maybe take a backup first before you do that. After that you should be safe.

All done. Appreciate the help. icon14.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭dam099

If you dont have any/much customisation for yourself on the router another option might be to reset it back to the default settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭flipflophead22

Anyone using their Siro service? Are you happy with it? I believe they provide a Fritz box? Supposed to be decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

Anyone using their Siro service? Are you happy with it? I believe they provide a Fritz box? Supposed to be decent.

I have the 1gb service for just under 2 years after upgrading from their Metro wireless product. Despite a few issues during this time I have found it to be fairly good speed wise. Generally you will get what you pay for and their support is good should you need it. Also should you know a friend who is an existing customer they can recommend you and you can get €30 off your 2nd bill.

As for the modem they currently supply the FritzBox 7530, Details of which is available using this link.

https://en.avm.de/products/fritzbox/fritzbox-7530/

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dddmor

Hi everyone,

Considering moving to Digiweb for broadband but the phone line comes as VOIP rather than old fashion regular way through the copper wires.
    Is it possible to have 2 phones in the house or just the 1 using VOIP??

Also, we have an emergency alarm system set up for an elderly relation living in the house that uses the old landline, will this still work using VOIP??

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

dddmor wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Considering moving to Digiweb for broadband but the phone line comes as VOIP rather than old fashion regular way through the copper wires.
    Is it possible to have 2 phones in the house or just the 1 using VOIP??

Also, we have an emergency alarm system set up for an elderly relation living in the house that uses the old landline, will this still work using VOIP??

Thanks

Simples ...

- open your master socket. Disconnect the wires coming from the outside from your master socket. Leave the internal wires in place. This is IMPORTANT !! .. Because the outside line carries 48V+ and you do not want to fry your analogue port in your router. And make sure to tape those wires up with PVC tape.
    - plug the analogue cable from the voip in the router in the master socket.
    - all other sockets in your house will now work like before.

Also, the Fritz!Box router allows you to use up to 6 DECT phones connected to it and multiple smart phones using the Fritz!FON app on Android or iOS.

VoIP is no different than your old copper line as the router presents it .. as a copper line to you. You just need to wire it up correctly.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Poulgorm

What are Digiweb up to with their billing? I pay €10 per month (in addition to the broadband charge) to get free Irish and UK calls to landlines & mobiles.

For the last 2 months, I am charged the €10 - but then I am being charged, in addition, for every call we make.

Am I the only one?

• Company Representative Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Digiweb

Poulgorm wrote: »
    What are Digiweb up to with their billing? I pay €10 per month (in addition to the broadband charge) to get free Irish and UK calls to landlines & mobiles.

For the last 2 months, I am charged the €10 - but then I am being charged, in addition, for every call we make.

Am I the only one?

Shouldn't be happening, give us a call or send us a PM here and we'll make sure its fixed and you are refunded

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭darragh_k

Magnet v Digiweb decision.

If i have a choice between Lightning FTTH or SIRO with DigiWeb, how should I decide between them? Are they both the same speeds regardless of the technology?

https://digiweb.ie/gigabit-broadband-ftth/

*I see that SIRO is 60 a month and FTTH is 70 so I guess that's it.

Magnet didn't charge any activation fee when i joined them so why are Digiweb charging 100 euro?

Do DigiWeb offer anything for approx 40 a month which is what I'm paying now with Magnet for 100MB connection?

also Vodafone offer 30 per month for 12 months but I dont want to go there.

Advertisement