Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long before Irish reunification? (Part 2) Threadbans in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

(In theory) Five years until Northern Ireland leaves the UK, ceases to exist, thus becoming part of this Green White & Orange State . . . .

Whose theory? I have never heard anyone say anything like that. A referendum within five years maybe and then there will be a long transition period.

Look up how long it took the Irish State to disentagle itself from the UK!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

Worded this one badly too, I’m afraid.

Had to google it. Didn't know that was bad grammar. Learn something new every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,376 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

jh79 wrote: »
    My point is if you see no difference between an army and a terrorist organisation then you should have no issue with how the army conducts itself . If the IRA could plant bombs in pubs and shopping centres and kill civilians them the BA could kill civilians and collude with whoever they wanted to. There is no moral difference in your eyes.

If they terrorise a civilian population to get their way, there is no difference. Therefore the term is redundant as each side can call the other a 'terrorist.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭jh79

If they terrorise a civilian population to get their way, there is no difference. Therefore the term is redundant as each side can call the other a 'terrorist.

So from your point of view collusion between the RUC/BA/UVF in the murder of civilians is no worse an act than the IRA killing civilians? Tit for tat by any means necessary because they are all equally wrong. There is no obligation for a sate army to hold themselves to a higher standard?

jh79 wrote: »
    So from your point of view collusion between the RUC/BA/UVF in the murder of civilians is no worse an act than the IRA killing civilians? Tit for tat by any means necessary because they are all equally wrong. There is no obligation for a sate army to hold themselves to a higher standard?

That is a different point.

My point is not about the gravity of what was done. It is about how what was done is termed.

Of course the state should be held to higher account, they are ultimately responsible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

(In theory) Five years until Northern Ireland leaves the UK, ceases to exist, thus becoming part of this Green White & Orange State . . . .

In Star Trek theory that is.

However, rality says that it could be another fifty years, if ever?

I dunno? You tell us? Maybe you have formed some thoughts on the matter?
    Perhaps the validity of Irish Nationalism's aspirations for a UI might have given you some thought? Maybe? Who knows?

I don't know really. It's hard to know?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

Bonnie & jm08 I was of course refering to that Star Trek episode where they mention 2024 or 25 as being the year of Irish unification. Silly I know. 

• Registered Users Posts: 11,317 ✭✭✭✭downcow

So the Eu strengthen the ni/Roi border today.
    Who would have thought it after the preaching about never never never over the last year.
    This will have interesting repercussions

Never in my life,taught id see a prospect of a unity referendum being discussed on the late late

Our day will come

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Never in my life,taught id see a prospect of a unity referendum being discussed on the late late

Our day will come

I'd rather burn my TV than watch tubs.

What was going on? Who was on it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

can we stop entertaining those who pretend it isnt??

Just leave them behind and let the people looking to the future get on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,424 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

In fairness I spotted an aul hand wringing article quoting Leo yesterday with the, 'Oh I definitely support unification in principle, but we need to make the GFA work for now' b*llocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

downcow wrote: »
    So the Eu strengthen the ni/Roi border today.
    Who would have thought it after the preaching about never never never over the last year.
    This will have interesting repercussions

This act and the subsequent mother of all u turns has probably done more damage to the prospects of a UI than anything.It will be interesting what the US,who aren't particularly enamoured with brussels at the best of times will make of all this.

'Mother of all U-turns'...:) :)

After 4 years of Brexit? :):) Dear oh dear oh dear. :):)

'Mother of all U-turns'...:) :)

After 4 years of Brexit? :):) Dear oh dear oh dear. :):)

Do you think this has helped the prospect of a UI francie,or hindered it?

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Do you think this has helped the prospect of a UI francie,or hindered it?

Well which Union would you prefer to be in Rob...one that ignores your wish to stay in the EU as a region...one that ignores you wish to stay a full part of the UK and not have a Irish sea Border? One that ignore your wish for an Independence poll like it does in Scotland or a Union that listens to you when you think they have made a mistake?

Which Union would you prefer Rob...take your pick?

Of course it is a plus for a UI.

Well which Union would you prefer to be in Rob...one that ignores your wish to stay in the EU as a region...one that ignores you wish to stay a full part of the UK and not have a Irish sea Border? One that ignore your wish for an Independence poll like it does in Scotland or a Union that listens to you when you think they have made a mistake?

Which Union would you prefer Rob...take your pick?

Of course it is a plus for a UI.

I commented on the highhanded actions of brussels and subsequent u turn.
    I do hope the Union continues and believe this act by brussels will resonate with those in NI who are undecided or don't have this issue front and centre.A definate big mistake,not to mention the disrespect for the Taoiseach.What do you think the Irish americans will make of all this skullduggery?

I do hope the Union continues and believe this act by brussels will resonate with those in NI who are undecided or don't have this issue front and centre.A definate big mistake,not to mention the disrespect for the Taoiseach.What do you think the Irish americans will make of all this skullduggery?

EU - made a decision (article 16), Ireland expressed their concern, backed down.

UK - made a decision (Irish Sea border), NI expressed their concern....ploughed on regardless.

How has being taken out of the EU and the Irish Sea border 'resonated' Rob?

We wouldn't be here if it wasn't for high handedness.

Nothing actually happened yesterday. Unless you count a demonstration of the fact we DO have a say in the Union we belong to.

Fionn1952 wrote: »
    EU - made a decision (article 16), Ireland expressed their concern, backed down.

UK - made a decision (Irish Sea border), NI expressed their concern....ploughed on regardless.

I think you'll find it was a little more than Ireland expressing their concerns Fionn,it was universally condemned.
    I'm not trying to defend the actions of the UK government who have made some terrible decisions,I'm pointing out this hasn't helped those hopeful of a UI anytime soon imo.

• Advertisement

I think you'll find it was a little more than Ireland expressing their concerns Fionn,it was universally condemned.
    I'm not trying to defend the actions of the UK government who have made some terrible decisions,I'm pointing out this hasn't helped those hopeful of a UI anytime soon imo.

Wishful thinking in the extreme.
    This kind of stuff will continue to happen, get used to it.

There is however a solution to volatility waiting in the wings.

It was universally condemned when your parliament passed a vote to break an international treaty, Rob. The UK have no moral highground here.

The key thing is in the case of the EU, Irish concerns were acted on. In the case of the UK, NI concerns (and Scottish and Welsh concerns) are only acted on if they align with English concerns.

Ultimately when it comes to a UI referendum, I'd imagine the number of people swayed one way or another by this will be close to zero. You'll have a bunch of people who were going to vote No anyway moaning about it. I don't think it changes the situation one jot.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,169 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Wishful thinking in the extreme.
    This kind of stuff will continue to happen, get used to it.

There is however a solution to volatility waiting in the wings.

The lads up in the Oak Leaf County don’t pay too much heed anyway.

Just do as they please.

It was universally condemned when your parliament passed a vote to break an international treaty, Rob. The UK have no moral highground here.

The key thing is in the case of the EU, Irish concerns were acted on. In the case of the UK, NI concerns (and Scottish and Welsh concerns) are only acted on if they align with English concerns.

Ultimately when it comes to a UI referendum, I'd imagine the number of people swayed one way or another by this will be close to zero. You'll have a bunch of people who were going to vote No anyway moaning about it. I don't think it changes the situation one jot.

A huge lesson to be learned for those wavering on a UI vote. You have a say in the EU, you don't in the UK.

The lads up in the Oak Leaf County don’t pay too much heed anyway.

Just do as they please.

Oak leaf county?...thought they favoured the West for the spot of golf Brendi?

How deos this effect a unity referendum negatively??

Nobody wants to be ruled by a big brother type outfit thinly disguised as a benevolent trading community who's mask has just slipped...

I'm surprised you would resort to whataboutary Fionn.

Nobody wants to be ruled by a big brother type outfit thinly disguised as a benevolent trading community who's mask has just slipped...

Amusing that you still claim this when the evidence shows that it isn't true, no matter how you spin it.

Look Rob...Arlene and Jim and Ian were never going to be convinced on a UI...they are probably more convinced this morning...big whoop dee whoop.

This is the weird doublethink of Brexit supporters writ large. Your mask has slipped again, that could be straight out of the Daily Express.

The EU somehow simultaneously becomes so powerful that it can do whatever it wants and so powerless that the UK can bully it around.

If the EU was a Big Brother type of setup, then they would've ploughed on regardless of Irish concerns.....like the UK has continued to do with regards to Scottish, Welsh and NI concerns.

Which one is the Big Brother setup again?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

British Home secretary last year threatened to starve Ireland in to submission with a blockade around the island. Nobody wants to be ruled by genocidal monsters I would have thought.

Advertisement