Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

drug use

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

In all the years I've been working in drug services and homeless services , I've never heard of an addict injecting into his eyeball even with assistance, ever.

Injecting into the penis is extremely rare , it along with the groin, neck and armpits are high risk area.

I've worked in needle exchanges and would very familiar with IV drug use , including risks associated, different types of needles, barrels , paraphernalia along with recognising damage to veins and tissue associated with drug use.

I'd be on first name terms too with a lot of the individuals you call junkies in Dublin city centre.

So I'm a liar am I....

I kid you not they were right outside the city canteen we use. The guy was injecting into the white of the eye.

I clearly seen the needle and he was using a tiny LED torch.... I was wretching when I seen what they were at...

Oh and before you think I'm one of those that has no respect for others you couldn't be more wrong as there are some that are actually ok to have a chat with but I also come across many that absolutely hate me or the uniform....

I've said it's sad and horrible to see such drugs ruin lives...

Not sure where you're getting your info on regarding the the paragraph...?

Anyway, if a junkie is someone who consumes a drug openly and then proceeds to display the effects in publuc, then yes - some drinkers are definitely junkies. It being legal or socially-acceptable makes no difference.

What paragraph.....

If that's a smart dig at my spacing I do so to make it easier to read....on my phone and couldn't be bothered following what I was taught in English class.. such a rebel that makes me

• Registered Users Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭corner of hells

So I'm a liar am I....

I kid you not they were right outside the city canteen we use. The guy was injecting into the white of the eye.

I clearly seen the needle and he was using a tiny LED torch.... I was wretching when I seen what they were at...

A spoofer might be more apt .

A spoofer might be more apt .

Far from it hun

Wife works in health care as do two sisters and have friends in it too....

One dealt specifically with drug addicts.

She had no issues believing what I said as I had no reason to lie. After seeing it I really wish I hadn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,695 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

There's no point in having rational discussions about drugs with some people who show astounding ignorance. I mean everyone is ignorant about some things but willfully talking **** like comparing weed to heroin when you don't have any experience with them makes me lose respect in your eyes.

I think you have that arseways mate - makes you lose respect for them in your eyes, no?

Anyway, no point in trying to have a rational conversation about anything with a space cadet, never mind trying to have a rational conversation about drugs and why it’s hardly a compelling argument to make the point that alcohol is a drug. So is love, according to some people.

• Advertisement

Far from it hun

Wife works in health care as do two sisters and have friends in it too....

One dealt specifically with drug addicts.

She had no issues believing what I said as I had no reason to lie. After seeing it I really wish I hadn't.

Depending on where the addict is injecting and his anatomy, he has a choice of needle based on its gauge , the collar on the needle is coloured for safety and recognition, so an addict injecting in his groin will select a bigger guage needle than an addict injecting in his hand .

Before an injects he clean the injection site with an alcohol swab and preps his heroin using distilled water and citric acid, heats and draws up through a filter.

Tell me about the needle and vein in the eyeball because as far as I know it's not possible to inject into a vein in the eye.

Depending on where the addict is injecting and his anatomy, he has a choice of needle based on its gauge , the collar on the needle is coloured for safety and recognition, so an addict injecting in his groin will select a bigger guage needle than an addict injecting in his hand .

Before an injects he clean the injection site with an alcohol swab and preps his heroin using distilled water and citric acid, heats and draws up through a filter.

Tell me about the needle and vein in the eyeball because as far as I know it's not possible to inject into a vein in the eye.

I'm just telling you what I seen with my own two eyes....
    No need to be such a dick about it, I'm not saying in any way I'm educated on drug use but if I see something I'm not exaggerating about it....

Wouldn’t be injecting into the eye as such, rather the soft tissue around the eye. Not looking for a vein when it gets to that stage, just the fastest way to get off their skulls.

Wouldn’t be injecting into the eye as such, rather the soft tissue around the eye. Not looking for a vein when it gets to that stage, just the fastest way to get off their skulls.

Yeah , definitely heard of addicts injecting in around the orbit of the eye .Very rarely.

I'm just telling you what I seen with my own two eyes....
    No need to be such a dick about it, I'm not saying in any way I'm educated on drug use but if I see something I'm not exaggerating about it....

Sorry hun.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Sorry hun.

Major malfunction son... Used that one already...

Lyan wrote: »
    Everyone I've known who smokes weed on a regular basis has been a complete waster with no direction in life.

Few of the lads in work,go through spells of smoking up

The difference in work ethic from when they smoking regularly to not is massive,they literally do nothing some days and you'd be fcuked trying to cover for em

• Registered Users Posts: 33,256 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

What paragraph.....

If that's a smart dig at my spacing I do so to make it easier to read....on my phone and couldn't be bothered following what I was taught in English class.. such a rebel that makes me

My apologies, should have read "the third paragraph". Another poster has also picked up on it I see.

Rest of my post stands.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

I think you have that arseways mate - makes you lose respect for them in your eyes, no?

Anyway, no point in trying to have a rational conversation about anything with a space cadet, never mind trying to have a rational conversation about drugs and why it’s hardly a compelling argument to make the point that alcohol is a drug. So is love, according to some people.

Ah, but no one is saying people who are in love are wasting their lives!

My apologies, should have read "the third paragraph". Another poster has also picked up on it I see.

Rest of my post stands.

Picked up on what

Ah, but no one is saying people who are in love are wasting their lives!

Just like nobody is saying alcohol is a drug, only the space cadets who are wasting their lives on drugs and bemoan the fact that nobody wants to have a rational conversation with them about their drug use.

Just like nobody is saying alcohol is a drug
    Well, they should be, because it is.
    only the space cadets who are wasting their lives on drugs and bemoan the fact that nobody wants to have a rational conversation with them about their drug use.

Take that one up with the OP.

I tend to have rational discussions with rational people on the topic. If they start getting preachy, I start talking about God.

Well, they should be, because it is.

Take that one up with the OP.

I tend to have rational discussions with rational people on the topic. If they start getting preachy, I start talking about God.

I did take it up with the OP. You chose to respond to my post, but when your idea of rational discussion amounts to “well they should be, because it is”, that’s the very definition of preachy, as opposed to rational discussion.

That appears to be the source of the OP’s frustration too - nobody wants to have a discussion with him on his terms.

I did take it up with the OP. You chose to respond to my post, but when your idea of rational discussion amounts to “well they should be, because it is”, that’s the very definition of preachy, as opposed to rational discussion.

That appears to be the source of the OP’s frustration too - nobody wants to have a discussion with him on his terms.

Alcohol is, by denfinition, a drug. It induces a physiological effect when ingested, take it or leave it. That was the only part of your post I refered to.

• Advertisement

I like alcohol but know when to stop and don't use it every day to get a high or a fix or whatever.....

Alcohol is, by denfinition, a drug. It induces a physiological effect when ingested, take it or leave it. That was the only part of your post I refered to.

I’ll take it, in the same context as I already acknowledge that by that same definition you use for alcohol, so too love is a drug as it induces a psychological effect, food, as it induces a psychological effect, sex, as it induces a psychological effect, irrational discussion, as it induces a psychological effect, and so on, and so on.

As I said in the post you responded to - it’s hardly a compelling argument to make the point that alcohol is a drug when using that definition means that anything which induces a psychological effect is considered a drug.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

As I said in the post you responded to - it’s hardly a compelling argument to make the point that alcohol is a drug when using that definition means that anything which induces a psychological effect is considered a drug.

Google “most harmful drugs”.

You’ll find many scientists and experts disagree with you and not only consider alcohol to be a drug but to be one of the most dangerous and harmful drugs of the lot.

I like alcohol but know when to stop and don't use it every day to get a high or a fix or whatever.....

Same as all drugs. They can be used or abused and some people can get addicted. No denying that.

I’ll take it, in the same context as I already acknowledge that by that same definition you use for alcohol, so too love is a drug as it induces a psychological effect, food, as it induces a psychological effect, sex, as it induces a psychological effect, irrational discussion, as it induces a psychological effect, and so on, and so on.

That's more a phrase than a scientific biologicial fact, but I get yout point and I'm not really disagreeing with you. I mean, I could argue that drugs are have to be substances, but that would be pedantic.

Google “most harmful drugs”.

You’ll find many scientists and experts disagree with you and not only consider alcohol to be a drug but to be one of the most dangerous and harmful drugs of the lot.

I don’t need to google most harmful drugs. Any chemical substance is harmful depending upon any number of factors, it’s one of the reasons why drugs are categorised into different classes depending upon their chemical characteristics or their uses whether chemical, medicinal, recreational, and their effects on the human body or their influence in society.

I’m not arguing that alcohol isn’t a drug. For the third time now I’ve agreed that not only is alcohol a drug, but any chemical substance is a drug, even the chemical substances that constitute tide pods, ingested by space cadets.

Any chemical substance which induces a chemical reaction in the human body is a drug, and I don’t need either a scientist nor an expert to point out to me that alcohol is one of the most harmful and dangerous drugs of the whole lot because I’m well aware that ingesting alcohol is harmful, and addiction to it, as addiction to any substance, can be lethal.

That’s why I don’t really understand why anyone would point out that alcohol is also a drug as though it’s some sort of a counterpoint to the fact that alcohol for example is legislated for under certain conditions, where other substances are not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭FHFM50

I've never taken drugs because no ones ever offered me any.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭The Bishop Basher

Any chemical substance is harmful depending upon any number of factors, it’s one of the reasons why drugs are categorised into different classes depending upon their chemical characteristics or their uses whether chemical, medicinal, recreational, and their effects on the human body or their influence in society

If we class drugs based on their effects on the human body and influence on society, why does weed remain illegal when so much research and so many studies tell us that weed is far less harmful to both the individual and society then alcohol ?
    That’s why I don’t really understand why anyone would point out that alcohol is also a drug as though it’s some sort of a counterpoint to the fact that alcohol for example is legislated for under certain conditions, where other substances are not.

It’s relevant because we should be legislating for less harmful substances like many other countries are currently doing and not criminalising people for enjoying a relatively harmless flower.

Attitudes like yours are getting in the way of reform for now but it will happen regardless.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭Stateofyou

Lyan wrote: »
    Everyone I've known who smokes weed on a regular basis has been a complete waster with no direction in life.

I've worked in 2 US states where it's legal, and even provided by the employer with the drink and food at work parties. It was as common to indulge in as alcohol was. Fancy vape and weed shops every other block catering to whatever high/experience/treatment one was looking for. In my experience those I knew who regularly used marijuana are among the best in their line of work and industry. Very involved in their communities, great parents, and amazing friends. Tended to be more calm and laid back too. Perspective is a mad thing.

If we class drugs based on their effects on the human body and influence on society, why does weed remain illegal when so much research and so many studies tell us that weed is far less harmful to both the individual and society then alcohol ?

Because we don’t want to add to the harm caused to individuals and to society already caused by alcohol. The harm caused to individuals and to society is also one of the reasons why here in Ireland at least, legislators are constantly introducing legislation to discourage the use of tobacco and e-cigarettes, and encourage smokers to quit as a matter of public health policy.

It’s relevant because we should be legislating for less harmful substances like many other countries are currently doing and not criminalising people for enjoying a relatively harmless flower.

You’ve already pointed out the harm caused to individuals and to society of using drugs, yet you want to use the harm you already acknowledge is caused by drugs, to argue that even more types of drugs which are currently illegal should be made legal? I suppose that makes sense in your mind. It isn’t even approaching a rational thought, from where I’m sitting.

Attitudes like yours are getting in the way of reform for now but it will happen regardless.

Sure it will. This is exactly why most people don’t bother engaging with people who are in favour of decriminalising drugs which are currently illegal in Irish jurisdiction, they already have themselves convinced that they’re able to predict the future and it’s all coming up golden brown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭White lighting

Just seen thread name jumped in havnt read a post so dont no where ye are at in it. Im 3 quarters way through bag charlie at the moment couple of cans. Work monday to Friday yeah ita not ideal doing drugs but **** it i like a bag now and again and im only going live once do what you enjoy.

Advertisement